How long does Marbury have?

FameMos

Benchwarmer
After watching Steph this season with the knee problems i've been wondering how many GOOD yrs does he have left in him. And will Nate Robinson be the New York Knicks Starting PG when Starbury is done here?

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
steph just turned 30 so he is definately on the downside of his career... but i think his career from here on will resemble kenny anderson's... i think he can be a starter for another 3 seasons... playing about 30 minutes a night... then he can be a good backup for mardy collins when he takes the reigns... if IT decides to keep playing him 40 plus though... then he'll be a sub par starter in 1.5 - 2...

Like It Or Not...

Hello everyone! I'm a new member in here and this is my first post! I don't know how to make a new thread, so that's why I'm replying to this one... I'm a huge fan of Knicks since I was like 6 years old maybe and now I'm 22 but still nothin' has changed! My english won't be as good as yours, cause I'm from Poland, so excuse me for using simple words but that's the only way I can comunicate with You guys I love this team like fat kid love cake and I pray for the day they'll get back on the right track! I even made myself a Knicks logo tattoo on my shoulder, so please give some respect for me hehe Ok, enough of this bullshit, I just would like to say some things that really hurt me about this team right now, and some things I would definitely like to change! First of all, let's take a look were the Knicks stand in the NBA! To build a great team, You must have a plan for it and create a team with special adjustment or foundation! From years, You all know guys that the best teams in NBA are based on offensive or defensive conception! And as You can see teams like Dallas, Phoenix, Golden State had a succesful season and still playing tough and hard defensive teams like Detroit, San Antonio just got to the Conference Finals! So what' the point??? It's very simple, someone responsible for Knicks strategy must choose, either we'll become a offensive team or either a defensive, because at this moment I really don't have any idea which side we're going! I'm about to introduce to You some of my propositions that are possible and should turn the NYK to a better team! Let's start with the conception of building a nice working defensive team! Everyon knows our roster:

PG: Stephon Marbury, Nate Robinson, Mardy Collins (Are they all really a PG?)
SG: Jamal Crawford, Steve Francis
SF: Quentin Richardson, Jared Jeffries, Renaldo Balkman
PF: David Lee, Channing Frye, Malik Rose
C: Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Randolph Morris, Kelvin Cato

Let's start with the point guards: Marbury has really improved this season, and started to play like everyone wanted him to play from a long time, but maybe finally he matured to be a leader of the team! He's not a bad defensive player, but with Mardy on the bench, they can give us what we need! With love to Nate, he is not the type of guy we need, especially that he can't create a game as a point guard, so I would try to get rid of him, but I'll tell You how later!

Shooters: Craw..., I read the post about Carter and Crawford, when people were arguing which one is a better player!!! I'll will divide it into two questions: Who is a better shooter, and who is a better all around player? The answers are simple: 1-Crawford, 2-Carter, but is it neccessary to take Carter??? I think leave that boy alone and give more playing time to Jamal and of course let him be a starting 5 player! Hmmmm, Francis... Big expectations but unfortunetly even bigger dissapointment! It would be better for us to try trade him, but if not don't buyout his contract, lets give him another try, as a reserve for J.Craw.

Small Forwards: QR, J.J. - First of them, a good shooter, but not as good as being under the Steve Nash! Jared, I think is the biggest mistake that Isiah made this season, why was he playing almost 30 minutes per game, while scoring 4 points and grabbing 4 rebounds???? Blocks, steals???? Come on, You can't call him a good defensive player! And last but not least Renaldo! This guy is awesome and I would do anything to keep him, cause he can be a future od this team! He can score, run the court well, and most of all he can play a tough D.

Power Forwards: If someone tells me to trade David Lee, I would grab my head and hit it toward the wall! Even having Kevin Garnett for 3 or 4 of our players isn't what will solve our problems! So lets think for a moment and see what D.Lee did for our team this year, and point me another player scoring and rebounding over "10", being double figures playing just 30 m.p.g! Looking at the Pistons, they play the same squad years now, and that what our team needs the most, stability! We must invest in Lee, Collins, Balkman, because they are our future, don't trade them for anybody, especcialy for someone that's on the road of his career! Frye had a bad year, but anyway I would trade him, because he's not the type of PF that can stand eye to eye with the toughest PF in the league! And Malik? If there a chance trade him, if not, let him stay and prepare him to help coaching the young guys in the team!

C: Everything would be amazing if Curry tried to balance his defense and offense, playing hard not only when having the ball, but most of all when not! If so, he would be a complete player, and someone that surely can achieve a status of an All-Star, cause he looks like a young Shaq :p Something about Kelvin Cato-why did Isiah sigh this guy, when he just played 18 games (5 mpg)? Does it makes any sense for You? If he was not a backup for Curry, why spending money??? Jerome? I got few opinios about this player! Fisrt one is that he's not a bad player, but money made him lazy, but the second one is that maybe Isiah should try to put him together with Curry in the starting lineup, but not sitting him down after 5 minutes of play! If Isiah would not give him a choice and play Jerome as much as possible, maybe this Burger Man finally would done somethin' and play like for Sonics in playoffs! But I'm only guessing. I cannot say anything about Morris, because I didn' have any chance of seing him play! I told You some thing You probably already know about that guys, but now, I'll tell You who I would like to see in our team next season (on defensive conception)!

Ron Artest
Jermaine O'Neal

I know it's probably impossible to get them both, but J.O. and Ron should fulfill our lacks! The biggest benefit of getting Jermaine is that he can be great near Curry! Everybody knows Jermaine is frustraded in Indiana and needs a new spot! And he would fit perfect with Eddy, cause he's not only a dominant offensive big man, but mostly a good blocker and rebounder! I'm sure that he would help to develop Curry's potential as a offensive and a defensive player and also help him in the paint to be like Duncan and Robinson or Ewing and Oakley.

Getting Artest is a bit risky investition, but also a player that we need to biuld a defensive lineup. Ron is the hardest playing man in the league and surely can be called as one of the best all-around players! He would fit perfectly with scoring Crawford, tough playing Lee, offensive Curry and even with Marbury on point position! He can help us to create a team like Detroit which is based on a smart point guard leader Billups, typical shooter Hamilton, all-around SF Prince, strong and with nice touch PF Sheed and probably with Maxiell who should start next season as a big man at C. We can make it happen in NY, just look at the similarity: Marbury, Crawford, Artest, Lee (or if possible O'Neal) and dominat Curry!

But there's also a second option, which I'm little bit confused about! It's offensive basketball really successful in the NBA! Just look at Phoenix, Seattle, Dallas!!! Where are they now? Out off playoffs, Seattle even didn't make there! So I'll present a good offensive lineup possible for the next season, but is it worth it? Let's start with the point, Marbury or Collins will not be running coart well and passing the ball quick like Nash of J-Kidd, but I think we don't have a choice! Crawford fits perfectly and then on backup we need someone like J.R.Smith which is being wasted in Denver! On the SF the best option for us is getting the Sonics Rashard Lewis. Then is a question-will Curry fit to the run-and-gun combination? Trading him can be a mistake, because he is still developing and probably in few years nobody will stop him! But on the other hand, Lee and Frye on the C: with Lewis, Craw and Starbury can be a real fast five, but probably till the second round off playoffs, and I know that everybody wants more!!!!....

Ps. I have enough of writing, I guess everyone knows how to trade players to make it work, if not I'll post it next time! Thakz Yous, I hope You'll enjoy it, while reading this post! I'm Out..... KNICKS 4 LIFE

starksfor3

Rookie
I am a huge Steph supporter, so I would like to see him play another 2seasons, but winning is the most important thing and we haven't won jack with Steph in a Knicks uni. I doubt Zeke will move him, but I would like the team to get younger at PG (look at what Deron Williams has done for the Jazz) and don't see Mardy Collins as any more than a back-up.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Clyde Frazier... the best Knick point guard in history... sees Mardy Collins as a younger version of himself... so I think Mardy may very well be the future of this franchise if he works out with Clyde like Clyde suggested... look what working out with John Stockton did for Williams...

First off allow to first welcome Phatom the most insightfull B-ball Blog on the planet.....Now back to biz, Steph can have maybe about 5 more productive seasons if just becomes a playmaker, and just maybe focuses on his D, but I think we may have seen the last of the 20 pt games every game or so, and I don't think that is a bad thing, Steph is a better player when he's getting others involved. About Mardy...he's spending his off season w/ the greatest Knich point, and is being coached by one of the greatest point guards in league history, he already has a knack for the postition, I think the sky is the limit for him. He obviously needs to work on the jumper ( what rookie point doesn't) and he's not the quickest of players, but I love his height and D...prediction: taller version of Derek Harper( which I guess makes him Ron Harper)

Kiyaman

Legend
This may come a little hard on everyone, but Stephon Marbury did a very poor job this past season. Coach Isiah Thomas actually gave the reigns of this Knick Team to Marbury. Inwhich Marbury quiet personality could not get one player on the team to work with him or team-up with him as a tandem.

The quarterback leads the team, and the team works with the quarterback not against him. Stephon Marbury is the lonely Knick quarterback that has NO team behind him.

The Knicks BEST Backcourt Tandem Guards this past season were seen early in the season when they both came off the bench "Nate & Crawford".
Nate & Crawford came off the bench with the Knicks best two frontcourt Tandem players this season too in "Lee & Balkman". This was early in the season when Rookie Balkman quiet all Media about his selection in the draft.

These Four Bench Players (Crawford, Nate, Lee, and Balkman) played with consistency off the bench by outscoring all of the Knicks opositions. And when Q.Richardson was their 5th man they out played the Knicks Starters in every facet of the game just by hustle play "together". And still Head Coach Isiah Thomas was strugling with a losing Marbury, Francis, Frye, and Curry with 30 MPG of playingtime (Players that did not want to play together).

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
This may come a little hard on everyone, but Stephon Marbury did a very poor job this past season. Coach Isiah Thomas actually gave the reigns of this Knick Team to Marbury. Inwhich Marbury quiet personality could not get one player on the team to work with him or team-up with him as a tandem.

The quarterback leads the team, and the team works with the quarterback not against him. Stephon Marbury is the lonely Knick quarterback that has NO team behind him.

The Knicks BEST Backcourt Tandem Guards this past season were seen early in the season when they both came off the bench "Nate & Crawford".
Nate & Crawford came off the bench with the Knicks best two frontcourt Tandem players this season too in "Lee & Balkman". This was early in the season when Rookie Balkman quiet all Media about his selection in the draft.

These Four Bench Players (Crawford, Nate, Lee, and Balkman) played with consistency off the bench by outscoring all of the Knicks opositions. And when Q.Richardson was their 5th man they out played the Knicks Starters in every facet of the game just by hustle play "together". And still Head Coach Isiah Thomas was strugling with a losing Marbury, Francis, Frye, and Curry with 30 MPG of playingtime (Players that did not want to play together).

nah dude... you forget that the knicks played the BEST they did all year when Collins, Nate and Jeffries were out with suspensions... and Q and Franchise were hurt...

the rotation that worked for us AND sparked out season was...

Steph, Crawford, Lee, Curry, Frye, Balkman, Rose, Cato (JJ13 doesn't count)...

When the team you're mentioning played... the knicks showed flashes... but there wasn't the pride, passion and fire shown by the 8 man rotation... simply put... the knicks do better with a combination of young and veteran talent... benching the guys you listed would take away some of our most affective weapons...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea that was my favorite rotation. Everyone seemed in sync, played D, and Cato is our best shot blocker on the team. I still don't know why he never got any PT...

Kiyaman

Legend
nah dude... you forget that the knicks played the BEST they did all year when Collins, Nate and Jeffries were out with suspensions... and Q and Franchise were hurt...

When the team you're mentioning played... the knicks showed flashes... but there wasn't the pride, passion and fire shown by the 8 man rotation... simply put... the knicks do better with a combination of young and veteran talent... benching the guys you listed would take away some of our most affective weapons...

I'm glad that you mention the Suspension of the Denver Brawl and the 5 games after that where the Knicks WON 4 out of that 5 games (Utah, Charlote, Chicago, Philly-Lost, and Detroit).

Those 5 games were Channing Frye best games scoring & rebounding, David Lee Started at SF in those games, and Renaldo Balkman average 25 MPG replacing Q.Rich plus received more playingtime than Curry in those 5 games. So the FOUR players that received the majority of playingtime minutes in those 5 games were Marbury, Crawford, Lee, and Frye, then came Balkman and Curry. What does that tell you? it tells me that this Knick team did not need one second of Jared Jefferies playingtime this past season.
Isiah Thomas wasted TWO MLE on players the TEAM DO NOT Need (for the next 5 to 6 seasons)...

Kiyaman

Legend
Did Isiah make more than THREE BIG MISTAKES this past season as the G.M. and coach?

I was one of the biggest bashers of Q.Richardson until the start of this season.
Q.Rich played exellent B-Ball for this Knick Team until President/Coach Isiah Thomas made that public statement about not punishing his starter "Jared Jefferies" during the suspension (the morning before the Philly Lost).
Before Isiah made that public statement every game Q.Rich performance was great on defense or offense or rebounding to help this Knick team. The first game after Jared Jefferies got to Start on the Knicks, Q.Rich pulled a Vince Carter ala Allan Houston "INJURY" and went on vacation with Steve Francis so Coach Isiah could start Frye and Jefferies, which was a terrible combination with Curry (in the first & third quarter of practically every game).
The suspension of Jefferies where the Knicks went on a short WINNING Streak should have gave Isiah some indication on the FOUR-TOP Bigmen he could depend on for Scoring, rebounding, and defending the paint (Balkman, Lee, Frye, and Q.Rich).

This is NEW YORK the "BIG APPLE MEDIA" where the Knicks are a losing team with high paying contract players with a large ego of pride.
Q.Richardson worked hard for that Starting position!
Crawford worked hard for that Starters position!
And hard-hustling-David Lee was the TOP Player that Q.Rich, Crawford, and Curry wanted in the Starting Lineup with them.
But Coach Isiah seen a different vision as the G.M. "Saving-Face" because of the failure of FA Jerome James. Isiah wanted this season FA Jared Jefferies to make up for the previous season FA failure. However, that makes two consecutive MLE FA failurs added to this Knick Team for 6 years at top price inwhich the Knick Team and its roster of players could have did much better without giving any of these FA one second of playingtime.

Now that the season is over would you start Francis over Crawford?
Or start Jefferies over Q.Rich?
Or Frye over David Lee?
Or do you really need to know why all THREE of these players caught "Season Injuries" early in the second half of this season?
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer

I totally agree bro, yeh Nate and co. played great during that stretch b/c we were usually down by 20! He and his scrubs looked amazing in garbage time! I have said this continually on this site that Nate is an awesome garbage time player, when he can be more risky and daring to ow and ah the crowd...Nate maybe the best garbage time player in NYK history with Eric Anderson from the nineties coming in a close second.

metrocard

Legend
Did Isiah make more than THREE BIG MISTAKES this past season as the G.M. and coach?

I was one of the biggest bashers of Q.Richardson until the start of this season.
Q.Rich played exellent B-Ball for this Knick Team until President/Coach Isiah Thomas made that public statement about not punishing his starter "Jared Jefferies" during the suspension (the morning before the Philly Lost).
Before Isiah made that public statement every game Q.Rich performance was great on defense or offense or rebounding to help this Knick team. The first game after Jared Jefferies got to Start on the Knicks, Q.Rich pulled a Vince Carter ala Allan Houston "INJURY" and went on vacation with Steve Francis so Coach Isiah could start Frye and Jefferies, which was a terrible combination with Curry (in the first & third quarter of practically every game).
The suspension of Jefferies where the Knicks went on a short WINNING Streak should have gave Isiah some indication on the FOUR-TOP Bigmen he could depend on for Scoring, rebounding, and defending the paint (Balkman, Lee, Frye, and Q.Rich).

This is NEW YORK the "BIG APPLE MEDIA" where the Knicks are a losing team with high paying contract players with a large ego of pride.
And hard-hustling-David Lee was the TOP Player that Q.Rich, Crawford, and Curry wanted in the Starting Lineup with them.
But Coach Isiah seen a different vision as the G.M. "Saving-Face" because of the failure of FA Jerome James. Isiah wanted this season FA Jared Jefferies to make up for the previous season FA failure. However, that makes two consecutive MLE FA failurs added to this Knick Team for 6 years at top price inwhich the Knick Team and its roster of players could have did much better without giving any of these FA one second of playingtime.

Or Frye over David Lee?
Or do you really need to know why all THREE of these players caught "Season Injuries" early in the second half of this season?

Well said.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

Or Frye over David Lee?

big up... i never doubted q though... but i think IT wanted to give jj20 confidence by starting him... but he might have been trying to save face... notice however... this season he is finally pocketing the MLE...

Kiyaman

Legend
As much as I been bashing Isiah Thomas Coaching decisions this season, I still want to give him a second chance to right his wrongs, because his major mistakes this season was putting Francis and Jefferies in the Starting Lineup (rather than make them earn their START off the bench by JELLIN with their new teammates first.).

I see alot of people saying Isiah should get Almond however, I see Almond going way before the 23rd pick.

At the beginning of this season when I notice the Changing-Roles that Coach Isiah Thomas gave to Nate Robinson & Channing Frye, I thought it was just going to last a few games to show these young players that at times they were going to have to learn how to switch-up on their style of play on certain oponents. I did not guess or think Isiah would make those two exciting (athletic) young players stick to that same Role the entire season so that they dont "Out-Shine or Out-Flash" their Big Contract Teammates Marbury, Francis, and Curry.

During Frye, Lee, and Nate Rookie Season those three players showed so much exciting athletic performances on the court that they had Knick-Fans and their oponents Fans standing-up at alot of their exciting performances on the court at "Home and Away" games.
This past season they were not given the same advantage as the previous season, and it was'nt their oponents that took that advantage away, it was their Head Coach Isiah Thomas (making more room for Curry, Jefferies, and Francis style of play)...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
whoa... last season... larry love benched frye, nate and dlee for stretches of games for no other reason than they were rookies... IT gave these cats consistent minutes and had them adapt their games to fit within his offensive schemes... when it became clear that nate would not change his game (unlike steph who responded well after the first month of the season)... he was glued to the bench... when it became clear that channing's confidence was shakey... IT benched him more to make the playoff run... not that i agree with all this... but you have to admit that Curry, Jamal and Steph were more productive in the system than Nate or Frye... next season... i expect at least Frye to bounce back and be a beast... i hope nate can do the same...

Kiyaman

Legend
whoa... last season... larry love benched frye, nate and dlee for stretches of games for no other reason than they were rookies... IT gave these cats consistent minutes and had them adapt their games to fit within his offensive schemes... when it became clear that nate would not change his game (unlike steph who responded well after the first month of the season)... he was glued to the bench... when it became clear that channing's confidence was shakey... IT benched him more to make the playoff run... not that i agree with all this... but you have to admit that Curry, Jamal and Steph were more productive in the system than Nate or Frye... next season... i expect at least Frye to bounce back and be a beast... i hope nate can do the same...

Whatever team that Nate or Frye play for next season they both will shine.
I did not agree with alot of Zeke Coaching philosophy this season, my disagreement started last offseason when Zeke committed to putting Francis in the starting lineup with Marbury.

It will be funny this offseason when Zeke go after players that are supposed to compliment Eddy Curry style of play. When Marbury talent dont compliment Curry, and Curry talent dont compliment Marbury.
And both will be the Starters in every game next season again...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
marbury = drive and dish pg... mid range j...

curry = dominant post player... often double or tripple teamed...

if curry can learn to pass out of double and tripple teams... this could work... if steph can penetrate and find an open curry... curry could get easy buckets... and if ec can kick out to an open steph... BANG...

this could also fail... but give it a shot...