Oden or Durant?

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Something has really been bothering me about this draft (outside of the fact that the Knicks are not in the lottery). Everyone seems to think that Oden is a sure thing and that he will without question be better than Durant. How can you pass up a big man that all but guarantees wins?

Oden:
7'0"... 280 (closer to 250 according to reports)
15.3 ppg, 9.4 rbpg, 3.6 bspg, 62% FG, 18 games played

Durant:
6'9"... 225
24.9 ppg, 11.4 rbpg, 1.8 bspg, 49% FG, 25 games played

This reminds me of the Jordan/Olajuwan 84 draft. Both were supremely talented and both brought multiple rings to their teams, but Jordan had a will that was undeniable, beating better teams (Knicks, Sonics, Blazers, Lakers) en route to 6 rings. And Olajuwan squandered championship opportunities his first 10 years in the league (the twin towers got to the finals and conference finals repeatedly, only to flame out) before the Knicks gave him a present in 94 (thanks a lot starks). And the Suns in 95 (thanks for blowing the 3-1 lead Chuck).

I think Durant could potentially change the game like few before him (think garnet, dirk, kirelenko, marion) and would make Portland a better team right away. Remember Portland already has LaMarcus Aldridge and Zach Randolph down low, so they don't NEED a center. They DO need a small forward. If they can add durant to that squad, they'd be sick:

jared jack, brandon roy, durant, randolph, aldridge
that team could contend/dominate the West for years

The Sonics would then draft Oden, since they need a 5, thereby setting up a nice 10+ year rivalry (assuming both teams keep their key pieces) between Por and Sea.

Of course, if they do draft Oden, they could trade Randolph away for a small (Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Gerald Wallace) and keep their team in tact. But think back to 84... knowing then what you know now... who would you have taken?

Don't get me wrong, I think Oden is gonna be a monster, but people seem to be overlooking Durant a bit too much. Then again, I did think Carmelo might have been a better option for the top pick than Lebron AND I thought Orlando should have drafted Okafor. Not a good track record I suppose, but I gotta get one of these right someday...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
You gotta stick with Oden. He's the type of player that comes once every decade. Athletic mobile 7'1 center that is a monster inside. Think of Amare with fundamentals when you think of this kid. Hook shot with both hands, turnaround J from both sides...has a mid range jumper...I can go on and on with this guy...he's NBA ready now...Durant can beat some teams with just his athletic ability and physical attributes but I see 1-2 years before he fully adjusts to the NBA since he is a bit on the frail side. Both are very special players but you gotta stick with Oden.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
thanks for the reply and you make good points... but that's my point... Oden may be more ready right now... and a big man... BUT he will not bring a title to Portland in the 3 years it will take Durant to develop... what happens if Durant matures into a 30 pts 10 rebs 5 assts 2 stl 1 blk kind of player (he has the tools to be a defensive stopper and the work ethic to make it happen)... and Oden develops into a 20 pts. 17 reb. 2 assts. 3 blk guy...

kind of a wash... until you factor in that Durant would be guarding positions 1 -5 on the floor... and would likely take the last shot in any close game situation... Durant may very well be that once in a generation player (Jordan, Lebron) that transcends the conventional thinking of his era and changes the way the game is played... I'm also not sure Oden is a once in a decade player... since his game reminds me soooo much of Dwight Howard's... similar strengths and weaknesses...

FameMos

Benchwarmer
IMO u should always take the skilled Bigman who only comes around once in tha blue. U can always get a SF, SG and PG who can ball but u rarely have the chance 2 get a dominate Bigman.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
you gotta remember Portland has Roy, a talented young PG by the name of Jarret Jack, Travis outlaw is a very athletic sf and Iaint gotta say nuthin about Zach Randolph. I dont think one man can lead an entire team to the championship the way Jordan Did. Obviously Pippen and other players helped but Jordan dominated the ball and I dont see why Seattle would want to play that style when they got ray allen, chris wilcox, Luke ridnour, and nick collison all playing durant. My point is neither of these guys will be leading their team to success cuz its gonna take a team effort. Some of you might try to say D wade led Miami to the championship last year but I think some of the other guys, especially shaq helped wade out more than Jordans teammates helped him. With this being said, I would pick Greg Oden because of the lack of great centers in the NBA. You gotta also remember that although Oden will probably contribute more in his rookie year, in 3 years he will also be more developed but the bottum line is theres gonna be some real good games between portland and seattle for many years to come.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
You're right...no one can think that a rookie can lead his team to a championship. That would be unfair to the other players on the team. With or without oden...Zach Randolph is the best player on that team. Oden has to prove that he can put up 20 pts and 10 boards before being the best player on the team. There are several reasons to pick Oden but I'll just say 4.... 1. Oden is a true center. 2. Fundamentally sound. 3. Athletic. 4 Defensive phenom.

metrocard

Legend
Oden, obviously. Durant is going to be a great player though.

Guys like Al Horford and Jeff Green are becoming extremely underrated and will have spectacular rookie seasons. Damn, I wished we still had that lottery pick! They're so many well rounded all around polished players in this draft.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Oden, obviously. Durant is going to be a great player though.

Guys like Al Horford and Jeff Green are becoming extremely underrated and will have spectacular rookie seasons. Damn, I wished we still had that lottery pick! They're so many well rounded all around polished players in this draft.

dont worry, isiah wont disappoint wit his pick

Streetz

Rookie
for some reason i have a feeling, someone else will be the star of this draft
to much hype sorrounding these two

FameMos

Benchwarmer
for some reason i have a feeling, someone else will be the star of this draft
to much hype sorrounding these two
I agree, u look @ sum of the past drafts and it seems 2 come out that way. Look @ '05 draft when ppl thought Chris Paul was the steal in draft (He will be good) but look @ what Deron Williams is doing in the Playoffs against the team who'll be the NBA Champs this year. 03 ere1 almost knew that LaBron would be the best out of that draft but IMO Wade is the better player (he carried MIA on his back when they won the Championship)

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
you gotta remember Portland has Roy, a talented young PG by the name of Jarret Jack, Travis outlaw is a very athletic sf and Iaint gotta say nuthin about Zach Randolph. I dont think one man can lead an entire team to the championship the way Jordan Did. Obviously Pippen and other players helped but Jordan dominated the ball and I dont see why Seattle would want to play that style when they got ray allen, chris wilcox, Luke ridnour, and nick collison all playing durant. My point is neither of these guys will be leading their team to success cuz its gonna take a team effort. Some of you might try to say D wade led Miami to the championship last year but I think some of the other guys, especially shaq helped wade out more than Jordans teammates helped him. With this being said, I would pick Greg Oden because of the lack of great centers in the NBA. You gotta also remember that although Oden will probably contribute more in his rookie year, in 3 years he will also be more developed but the bottum line is theres gonna be some real good games between portland and seattle for many years to come.

ummm... Jordan may have been the best player and lead his team 6 rings... but to say that his other players "helped" is absurd... Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant/Dennis Rodman, Kerr/Paxson/Armstrong, Kukoc/Hodges... Jordan didn't have the best teams... but he played with at least 1 hall of famer (maybe 3 if Kukoc and Rodman get in) AND a hall of fame coach...

Michael Olowokandi (#1), Chris Mihm (#4), Dsagana Diop (#10), Nick Collison, Robert Swift, Kwame Brown (#1), Nazr Muhammed...

These are some of the centers that have been drafted recently... dominant big men are making a comeback though with Curry, Howard, Okur, Duncan, Amare, Yao, Kristic, Ilgauskus and Shaq making noise...

When has there been another time when there were 8 good/great centers in the league??? the nineties featured Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Zo, Motumbo, Rik Smits, Shaq... the argument that there aren't centers doesn't apply

I agree, u look @ sum of the past drafts and it seems 2 come out that way. Look @ '05 draft when ppl thought Chris Paul was the steal in draft (He will be good) but look @ what Deron Williams is doing in the Playoffs against the team who'll be the NBA Champs this year. 03 ere1 almost knew that LaBron would be the best out of that draft but IMO Wade is the better player (he carried MIA on his back when they won the Championship)

Chris Paul is still better than Deron Williams... when he was healthy 2 years ago... he brought NO to the brink of the playoffs... this season... him, Peja, Mason, Bobby Jackson, etc were out for extended stretches... UTA missed the playoffs last season when their big guys were out... give them time...

the question i ask is this...
Would you rather have Jordan or Olajuwan?

Oden may be big and athletic... so was Hakeem... but Jordan had the desire and killer instinct to get it done... I think with durants length and work ethic... he may be able to defend 1 - 5 someday AND be able to dominate at the other end (clutch mid/long range J, 3)... Hakeem got to the finals earlier and failed until the Suns and Knicks gave him his first ring in 94... Jordan had 3 by then...

In 84... everyone was probably saying the same thing (and god knows what portland was thinking with sam bowie)... but NO ONE would draft them in the same order today...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I see where you're going with this but we can't compare this to Jordan and Hakeem...the situation is similar but they aren't the same type of players. Jordan always had that killer instinct...and Hakeem was a legend coming into the game...Oden and Durant are both unproven to a certain degree. They both are freshman that have incredible upside and could possibly have an immediate impact. Jordan and Hakeem were upperclassmen that were ready to improve a team drastically. I think it's unfair to compare the two...those are big shoes to fill

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I see where you're going with this but we can't compare this to Jordan and Hakeem...the situation is similar but they aren't the same type of players. Jordan always had that killer instinct...and Hakeem was a legend coming into the game...Oden and Durant are both unproven to a certain degree. They both are freshman that have incredible upside and could possibly have an immediate impact. Jordan and Hakeem were upperclassmen that were ready to improve a team drastically. I think it's unfair to compare the two...those are big shoes to fill

Not comparing the players... comparing the scenario... Jordan was a sophmore when he came out though... and his most memorable moment was hitting the game winner over georgetown (i think)... so you have Oden the HS legend... the hype machine has billed him as Bill Russell (although he said he would like to play like Ewing)... versus the less hyped college kid who showed brilliance in his one season... not saying Oden and Durant are the next MJ and Hakeem AT ALL...

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Durant is more ready for the NBA speed and talent wise ready as well. Oden is going to be unstoppable in 4 years, I believe it's possible that Portland might get the NBA title in 3-6 years. I go with Oden. Power, and great on the defensive end, rebounding. HE IS 7 feet tall inside scorer, *young*

Toons

is the Bo$$
Yea, portland will b dangerous with a healthy squad of oden, b.roy, aldridge, martell webster, jjack, dmiles, freddy jones and randolph

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
It will still be tough to make it out the west with that team but they will be good for years to come. They are definitely on the right track.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
i don't think portland will necessarily win a chip early on... but they will be contenders within 4 seasons... and the west won't be so tough very soon... the spurs are old... nash is getting older and the suns haven't found a replacement yet... the mavs might get blown up next season... they might have a shot soon...