JO deal looking slim.....we shud persue Lewis

Toons

is the Bo$$
Ok....greetings again knick fans. Our hope for getting jermaine oneal is running a little slim. Kobe made a bold statement yesterday, and if the lakers do not act quickly, he's gone.

"O'Neal, 28, is playing semantics with his trade request to Pacers executives. Request? Demand? Whatever he wants to call it, it's been made clear to Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird that the 6-foot-11 All-Star would rather leave than stay. At the top of his list of destinations are the Los Angeles Lakers to join Kobe Bryant and the New York Knicks to be reunited with Isiah Thomas"\

That gave me hope. but then i heard this....
"The morning began with a startling declaration from L.A.'s most recognizable athlete, a demand by Kobe Bryant on a radio show that he wanted to be traded from the Lakers. Bryant's trade ultimatum zigzagged as he appeared on two more radio shows, an apparent realization by the nine-time NBA All-Star that, well, things just might turn out OK after all and he might like to stay. Then, late in the afternoon, Bryant told The Times that, sorry for the confusion, but he still wanted to be traded" (LA TIMES)

"Within the last week, the Pacers and Lakers have laid the groundwork for a trade that would certainly placate both Kobe Bryant and Jermaine O'Neal. No specifics were delivered. No negotiating has been done. Still, Lamar Odom would have to be the principal of the package in order to adhere to NBA trade specifications. Surely Andrew Bynum must be included as well" (NY POST)

Knicks covet Rashard Lewis

Perhaps Isiah Thomas was sharing with Lenny Wilkens the Knicks' interest in acquiring Rashard Lewis. According to NBA insiders, the Knicks could make the Sonics a sign-and-trade offer for Lewis that could include Seattle natives Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford. Crawford is owed $35 million over the next four seasons, and the Knicks could add Robinson's contract or that of Channing Frye to come within 75 percent of a new Lewis deal, per rules of the collective bargaining agreement.

I think that having rashard at sf, and being able to keep jcraw, with the development of curry, balkman, david lee and m.collins would make the knicks a force to be reconed with. Rashard is what q.rich dreams to be at night. think of it...

PG. Marbury...........Nate
SG.Crawford..........Mardy
SF.Lewis...............Balkman/Qrich/Jeffries/M.Rose
PF.Lee..................Frye
C.Curry.................J.James/Kato

Maybe we can offload some fowards for a better backup center. cuz we have too much ppl at sf.

Rashard does nothing for this team, just like Vince he's a scorer, and just like Vince he's getting a new deal this off season probably around 18 to 19 mil per. The 09 season is looking like the year the Knicks can really start chasing a superstar w/ out giving up anything for him. So why mess w/ that by sighning another scorer to this team, also we'll have to re-sighn Steph ( Isiah is going to want to keep him, and Steph is going to want to stay) so we should only make deals for equal or less cap value. Let Rashard go be happy in Charlotte or Orlando or whoever else needs his surfaces, and let him be happy with the fact that Knicks thought him good enough to potential blow some dough on him

metrocard

Legend
Rashard does nothing for this team, just like Vince he's a scorer, and just like Vince he's getting a new deal this off season probably around 18 to 19 mil per. The 09 season is looking like the year the Knicks can really start chasing a superstar w/ out giving up anything for him. So why mess w/ that by sighning another scorer to this team, also we'll have to re-sighn Steph ( Isiah is going to want to keep him, and Steph is going to want to stay) so we should only make deals for equal or less cap value. Let Rashard go be happy in Charlotte or Orlando or whoever else needs his surfaces, and let him be happy with the fact that Knicks thought him good enough to potential blow some dough on him

Lets not underrated Lewis. He's the one of the best 2nd option scorer in the NBA, if not the best. He averages 22 ppg without averaging 2 turnovers a game. That means he doesn't need to dominate the ball to score. He shoots 46% on 22 points per game, which is very good. He's an excellent shooter, and an average rebounder.

I rather have Lewis over Vince, because Vince has to be the primary scorer. Curry is the primary scorer of this team and Lewis would be an excellent compliment player.

We should pursue Artest first.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Lets not underrated Lewis. He's the one of the best 2nd option scorer in the NBA, if not the best. He averages 22 ppg without averaging 2 turnovers a game. That means he doesn't need to dominate the ball to score. He shoots 46% on 22 points per game, which is very good. He's an excellent shooter, and an average rebounder.

I rather have Lewis over Vince, because Vince has to be the primary scorer. Curry is the primary scorer of this team and Lewis would be an excellent compliment player.

I agree we shouldn't underate him, but at the same time, we should not overate him either. He is 6'11 and doesn't rebound (Averages around 6 rebounds a game) doesn't play defense, doesn't block shots and his game is, for the most part, a perimeter game. If he gets cold he's done for that game. Isay lets exhaust all our options (ARTEST, GARNETT, O'NEIL) and if all that fails, still not get LEWIS. I say we slim Channing Frye down get that dude into shape and he'd play the 3 just as good as Lewis would

George M.

Benchwarmer

Congratulations Metrocard!! This would be the Very 1st time I ever agree with you!! And I agree with you 100%!!!!!!

Toons

is the Bo$$
i agree with streetz n metrocard

..why not invest in a guy who can give a team 22.4 ppg? at small forward, we dont need amare staudamire numbers, there are few players in the leage at sf who gives u 10 + rebounds a game consistantly, 2 blocks an 2 steals...dont underrate rashard lewis, dude is ill...what is gerald wallace's status? i like his game

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
Lil Sumthin

I agree we shouldn't underate him, but at the same time, we should not overate him either. He is 6'11 and doesn't rebound (Averages around 6 rebounds a game) doesn't play defense, doesn't block shots and his game is, for the most part, a perimeter game. If he gets cold he's done for that game. Isay lets exhaust all our options (ARTEST, GARNETT, O'NEIL) and if all that fails, still not get LEWIS. I say we slim Channing Frye down get that dude into shape and he'd play the 3 just as good as Lewis would

Firstly, Rashard would help this team by making the game a whole lot easier for curry, marbury's drive and dish game would also improve...would you rather Jared Jefferies at sf or rashard lewis? q.rich or lewis? dont worry about the 18 mil he wants, we are spending 17 on steve francis...now lets talk about helping the team....by the end of 08-09, we will be well under the salary cap....here are our money facts

end of this year.....we stop paying
Kalvin kato...............1.2 mil
Shandon anderson.....7.2 mil
H2O****.................20.7 mil..........end of this season we save 30 mil

end of next year.........we stop paying
Jerome williams...........7.1 mil...........end of next season, another 7 mil

end of 08-09............we stop paying
steve francis............17.2 mil
malik rose................7.6 mil..............end of other season....save 25 mil

so if rashard wants 17, give him 17, use the draft to get a shot blocker. And if you haven't seen rashard lewis play, he also is a slasher, he is strong, to prove that, look at his free throws, he has shot 17 freethrows in one game, and shot 16 on 12 other occasions, he also shoots a high freethrow percentage at 84%, which the knicks need. look at our record this season, we lost 15 games by 5 or less points....in each game we shot horrendous from the stripe.

Secondly, slim channing frye down? are u kidding?frye needs to put on weight and be aggressive in the post. frye will never play the 3 as good as lewis....no one on the knicks roster can play the 3 as good as lewis. his only competition would be balkman, an balkman cant score like R.L. Now, if we get the aging garnet who will be 33, the problematic artest who is also aging, or JO, who i think fits our system, i wouldnt complain....im just trying to be realistic.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
Firstly, Rashard would help this team by making the game a whole lot easier for curry, marbury's drive and dish game would also improve...would you rather Jared Jefferies at sf or rashard lewis? q.rich or lewis? dont worry about the 18 mil he wants, we are spending 17 on steve francis...now lets talk about helping the team....by the end of 08-09, we will be well under the salary cap....here are our money facts

malik rose................7.6 mil..............end of other season....save 25 mil

so if rashard wants 17, give him 17, use the draft to get a shot blocker. And if you haven't seen rashard lewis play, he also is a slasher, he is strong, to prove that, look at his free throws, he has shot 17 freethrows in one game, and shot 16 on 12 other occasions, he also shoots a high freethrow percentage at 84%, which the knicks need. look at our record this season, we lost 15 games by 5 or less points....in each game we shot horrendous from the stripe.

Secondly, slim channing frye down? are u kidding?frye needs to put on weight and be aggressive in the post. frye will never play the 3 as good as lewis....no one on the knicks roster can play the 3 as good as lewis. his only competition would be balkman, an balkman cant score like R.L. Now, if we get the aging garnet who will be 33, the problematic artest who is also aging, or JO, who i think fits our system, i wouldnt complain....im just trying to be realistic.

Good job. I much rather give Rashard Lewis 18Mill than I would Vince Carter. Plus Lewis is a better fit 4 this team

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
The main fact I was making in regards to Lewis, is we already have him on the team,he is a few inches shorter and his name is Jamal Crawford. There games are almost the same with the exception that Craw can at least play point a few minutes agame. The knicks sucked at three main things last year, Blocked shots (lewis doesn't block shots); Perimeter defense (Lewis doesn't play D) and someone who could consistantly knock down a 20ft J(Lewis could help there.... but so could Frye). I mentioned O'Neil, Garnett and Artest because all three of those guys are allstars who could fill a need for the knicks. Lewis doesn't fill a NEED, he fills a Want.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
Why not?

I liked your post man...I would consider myself a strong advocate of developing youth and anything not associated with signing/trading for has been players like JJ/JJ, Franchise, Spoon (or just the Layden Era in general), but I think getting a guy like RL would make sense. Even if we had to dump say Craw (Frye, Nate), it is still worth it...As I think Metro? alluded to, he is probably the best 2nd option scorer in the league who can post up and hit open threes. Who gives a damn if he does not play D, he cant be as bad as Curry right? Plus, we can insert a Balk, Collins, QRich, or maybe even Jeffries at the 2 to guard the Eastern conferences SGs and use them strictly for Defensive purposes and height advantages...WHy would we need much scoring from that position? We would have enough from option 1, Curry, option 2 RL, and option 3 Steff. It would be a three headed monster! Curry downlow, kicking it out to RL or posting him up, and Steph slashing the lane. I think he would be a perfect fit and also make our lineup that much bigger b/c you would potentionally have:

Steff: Collins or D. Green (if we draft him)
Q/Balk/Collins/Jeffries (all at least 6'6'' and can be above avg defenders)
RL 6'11'' :Any guy above not starting
Lee 6'9'' BU: Morris, Rose
Curry 6'11'' BU: S. Williams (if we draft him) JJ31

That is a pretty mean lineup and also a well balanced one with Def and Off. And would cares if he only avg 6 bounds a game...That is what Lee/Q/Balk are for guys! Unfortunately, the only possible situation maybe Lee/Curry's toughness and interior D. But as DLee has shown us, he has the capability to improve his weak parts of his game (free throws, improved REB and FG%).Maybe he can surprise us and become what we all hope he becomes this year: the next Oakley. Or get someone like Varajao at the mid-level. So giving up Craw, Frye, and Nate and possibly this years pick is a bad idea? I think it would be great! and this is coming from a conservative fan.

metrocard

Legend

He blocks more shots than Curry thats for sure.

The main fact I was making in regards to Lewis, is we already have him on the team,he is a few inches shorter and his name is Jamal Crawford. There games are almost the same with the exception that Craw can at least play point a few minutes agame. The knicks sucked at three main things last year, Blocked shots (lewis doesn't block shots); Perimeter defense (Lewis doesn't play D) and someone who could consistantly knock down a 20ft J(Lewis could help there.... but so could Frye). I mentioned O'Neil, Garnett and Artest because all three of those guys are allstars who could fill a need for the knicks. Lewis doesn't fill a NEED, he fills a Want.

Lewis is an upgrade over Crawford. Being 6"10 with handles and a better jumpshot, more consistant scorer, Crawford becomes irrevelant. Crawford is only a year younger than Lewis also. Crawford has absolutely no use on this team.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
He blocks more shots than Curry thats for sure.
Well actually he doesn't. Though even if he did, would that really be saying anything special in his defense?

Lewis is an upgrade over Crawford. Being 6"10 with handles and a better jumpshot, more consistant scorer, Crawford becomes irrevelant. Crawford is only a year younger than Lewis also. Crawford has absolutely no use on this team.

I don't believe you have ever seen Rashard Lewis play have you? He is the same exact player as Craw, like i said just a few inches taller, but that height doesn't benefit the knicks at all.He played more games and more minutes than Craw and has a 5 inch advantage over Craw and went to the free throw line only 45 times more than Craw.(and thats not saying much as Crawford is known for not utilizing his penetration skills) As inconsistant as Crawford is, he still shoots over 40% for his career, Lewis 46%. cmon, there is no wonderful advantage there.

The point still remains, if Lewis was on the team last year, would the knicks have been that much better? the answer is no. You guys killed peoplee when they mentioned Vince coming, talking about he is just a jump shooter now and this and that, but are praising Lewis who has always been a jump shooter. At least with Vince the defense has to be kept honest as he could still blow past you and dunk. Vince had 260 more free throw attempts than this guy that should tell you something and Vince is only 2 years older. I am not saying bring on vince, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to want Lewis and not want Vince.

LETS LOOK AT NEED PEOPLE, NOT WANT.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
I agree with all of u guys points but what I disagree with was dude who said we could put Frye @ the 3 lol. Frye would get ate up by guys like RJ (Nets) and James (Cavs) if we put him 1on1 w/ a SF. Now if we plan on playing a zone defense the entire season then i'd put him @ the 3. The problem w/ that would be CURRY CAN'T REBOUND so i doubt it. But as an offensive opition i'd put him there. It would be an experiment that could work if he plans on playing his man with loose man D and he is tall enuff to alter/block sum shots so it's not 2 far fetched.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Toons... you forgot to mention Marbury coming off the books in 08 - 09... in 2 YEARS... we will be under the cap if we don't add any more big contracts... Lewis would be an inprovement to the team... but at what cost??? we gotta see the big picture... the City's been waiting 34 years for a title... and we've blown every shot we had at getting one during that span... bad management has been our achilles heel... let's not start getting trigger happy just so the garden can have basketball for a few more weeks in the spring... let's ride it out... evaluate what we have... then prepare for domination following the 09 season...

metrocard

Legend
Toons... you forgot to mention Marbury coming off the books in 08 - 09... in 2 YEARS... we will be under the cap if we don't add any more big contracts... Lewis would be an inprovement to the team... but at what cost??? we gotta see the big picture... the City's been waiting 34 years for a title... and we've blown every shot we had at getting one during that span... bad management has been our achilles heel... let's not start getting trigger happy just so the garden can have basketball for a few more weeks in the spring... let's ride it out... evaluate what we have... then prepare for domination following the 09 season...

You make 2 years sound like 2 months...2 years after all the crap we've been threw? Its basically been a decade of bullshit. I'm sick of the low standards that this organization forced upon the fans, its really sad shit.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
But see that exact same attitude got us in the cap hole. So if you're a GM you have a choice to make. Make deals with your hands tied behind your back since you can't sign anyone with all the outrageous contracts. Or you could wait 2 years and let the contracts ride out and then you can sign somebody and take on a big contract that is worth taking. Patience...patience. No one wants to wait but I want that ring instead of just now W's...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
let's not forget impatience made us trade Camby away (he NEVER plays anymore)... trade bernard king (he's too old... too injured)... trade away Ewing for dogshyte (he's too old and too expensive)... trade away Rod Strickland AND Mark Jackson... draft Freddy Weiss (he's too big to pass up)... and trade away all our expiring contracts for players and draft picks because "this city will not stand to rebuild" (IT's words at his introductory interview) and countless other errors from our "storied" history...

Metro... you seem upset that we're advocating waiting two whole years... but lemme ask you this... would you rather we make moves now and be playoff contenders for the next 5 years... or would you rather sacrifice two more years for the chance at a title in that same time span? 34 years is longer than our lifetimes... let's give it some time so we can be a championship team...

and if i hear that crap about the halcyon 90s knicks teams that constantly underperformed and never won titles (even after going up 2 - 0 on chi in 93)... i'm gonna yak...