Making a run at Artest???

if artest can calm the fuck down then yeah... i say bring him in... personally... i don't respect a man that hits women... that's not my thing... artest has been accused (this season) of domestic abuse and animal cruelty (not that i give a shit about animal rights either)... add that to his history of trouble making i dunno... hopefully this off season works out and we're the surprise champs in 08... but i really don't wanna see artest fuck up our chemistry with some insane blowout... remember how close the pacers were until he lost it?

Look away from the court the dude has some issues, but J Kidd has hit his wife, and Kobe cheated on his, and who knows how many other non reported cases there are in the NBA. What these men do off the court is between them and God, now I see the concern that possibly the off the court problems results in bad examples for the young players, as well suspensions and such. But one thing you have to give IT credit for is being street, and being able to relate to players from the street ( Steph, Tinsley, Q, etc.) and serving as a mentor. I think IT will talk to Ron before the trade is made and let him know what is expected oh him, and again think that Ron has enough respect for NY not to embarass us, he knows he can't pull that taking time off thing like he did in Indy cause Knicks fans will approach him. But w/ that all said the deal breaker for me will be parting w/ D. Lee, if the Kings insist on him then I wait to see if he is really serious about opting out to join the Knicks next year.

CoolClyde

Artest for Lee? NO WAY JOSE

I agree getting Artest would be HUGE, and give the Knicks one of the meanest front courts in the NBA, but giving up David Lee, who is just coming into his own, is just not worth it. Who's to say DLee won't become a monster unto himself? Jeffries, Nate, Rose, Morris for Artest = OK.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Thanks ShairanXIII for confirming what I've said previously about Artest Vs Wallace. I believe the same thing . If Artest was coachable, he'd be Gerald Wallace. Wallace put up stat stuffing numbers on the Bobcats. With Okafor and May constantly injured, Wallace has been the only bright spot on that roster. The numbers don't lie. When compared to Artest he is ahead. Why would the Knicks would want to babysit another adult (Zach may need this service) is beyond me. Wallace has zero concerns about him. With his style of play, he would probably add 2 more assists a game with Curry and Randolph down low. Balkman is deloping his outside shot. He is working out at

http://www.imgacademies.com/basketball/jump.sps

He and Jared Jefferies are there together. The fact remains I can't wait for summer league to see what they've achieved.

However, with Artest, I personally think that ship has sailed. To try and bring him in would be difficult.

KOWIE

Rookie
Look away from the court the dude has some issues, but J Kidd has hit his wife, and Kobe cheated on his, and who knows how many other non reported cases there are in the NBA. What these men do off the court is between them and God, now I see the concern that possibly the off the court problems results in bad examples for the young players, as well suspensions and such. But one thing you have to give IT credit for is being street, and being able to relate to players from the street ( Steph, Tinsley, Q, etc.) and serving as a mentor. I think IT will talk to Ron before the trade is made and let him know what is expected oh him, and again think that Ron has enough respect for NY not to embarass us, he knows he can't pull that taking time off thing like he did in Indy cause Knicks fans will approach him. But w/ that all said the deal breaker for me will be parting w/ D. Lee, if the Kings insist on him then I wait to see if he is really serious about opting out to join the Knicks next year.

he doesnt have enough respect for himself or his mother to not embarass either....

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Since when does a guy's personal life have anything to do with basketball? Anthony Mason as I recall got into tons of fucking trouble in and around NYC...yet people especially KNICK fans love him. Patrick Ewing frequented strip clubs constantly...Lawrence Taylor had drug problems coming out the ass..so did Micheal Ray Richardson......just saying it's really kind of half assed to judge a man passed of a few mistakes in his personal life. He made a mistake damn, let's not re-live it.

But anyway...I would trade for him just not David Lee.

the difference between everyone else you mentioned except for Michael Ray... none of their problems affected their play on the court... again... I love Ron Ron and hope he can be successful... but his history says otherwise...

the main concern is that his off the court issues affect his on the court issues and turn the team against each other... remember JO... who was once his defender finally cracked and said that ron didn't care about his team? while stephen jackson was supporting him...

let's not get caught up in artest's immense talent when gerald wallace is available... younger... and doesn't have any head problems...

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
problem is gerald is a FA and we dont have cap room, while ron we can trade for now. if he comes as a FA hed have to take the mle pretty much, i can see him doing that i guess but finances are an issue. i think a trade with jeffries or rose and a youngster is doable as long as lee or balkman arent thrown in.

the difference between everyone else you mentioned except for Michael Ray... none of their problems affected their play on the court... again... I love Ron Ron and hope he can be successful... but his history says otherwise...

the main concern is that his off the court issues affect his on the court issues and turn the team against each other... remember JO... who was once his defender finally cracked and said that ron didn't care about his team? while stephen jackson was supporting him...

let's not get caught up in artest's immense talent when gerald wallace is available... younger... and doesn't have any head problems...

I haven't followed G Wallace too much, but I know he can score, but if ya'll are right about his D being as good as Artest then we should persue, but it would probably require more to land him, and he'll have a longer contract, and we must be leary of players who excell in their contract year ie. Jerome James, Erik Dampeir, etc. But if Wallace is the truth let's get him.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
problem is gerald is a FA and we dont have cap room, while ron we can trade for now. if he comes as a FA hed have to take the mle pretty much, i can see him doing that i guess but finances are an issue. i think a trade with jeffries or rose and a youngster is doable as long as lee or balkman arent thrown in.

we can try a sign and trade... or give him the mle... not much money out there with orlando signing lewis... unless he signs in milwaukee to play alongside a racist...

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
"Screw the Zach Randolph Trade"
Gerald Wallace is what Balkman will be in a few years. Ron Artest is someone that can fit the bill until Balkman can take over the reigns. People can say everything they want in regards to his off the court issues, but as has been eluded to already, everyone has skeletons in their closets. As far as Artest letting his off the court issues affect his play, i'm sorry I didn't catch that one. When did his OFF THE COURT issues affect his play on the court?
Looking at the infractions that Artest has had on the court, only the Detroit fight was truly f'd up. THe flagrant fouls and mouthing off at oppossing coaches and the like are things that only the New NBA frowns upon. I personally love that shit. 'OH you think you coming and dunking on me... how bout i throw your azz to the floor' thats the kind of thinking I want the Knicks to have. Yea a flagrant but the balls are hanging through the shorts and onto the court dragging as Artest and the rest of the Knicks jog back up the court.
The knicks will need someone who can spark a fire not only onto himself but the rest of the team... Artest could be that individual

Last edited by a moderator:

metrocard

Legend
"Fuck the Zach Randolph Trade"
Gerald Wallace is what Balkman will be in a few years. Ron Artest is someone that can fit the bill until Balkman can take over the reigns. People can say everything they want in regards to his off the court issues, but as has been eluded to already, everyone has skeletons in their closets. As far as Artest letting his off the court issues affect his play, i'm sorry I didn't catch that one. When did his OFF THE COURT issues affect his play on the court?
Looking at the infractions that Artest has had on the court, only the Detroit fight was truly f'd up. THe flagrant fouls and mouthing off at oppossing coaches and the like are things that only the New NBA frowns upon. I personally love that shit. 'OH you think you coming and dunking on me... how bout i throw your azz to the floor' thats the kind of thinking I want the Knicks to have. Yea a flagrant but the balls are hanging through the shorts and onto the court dragging as Artest and the rest of the Knicks jog back up the court.
The knicks will need someone who can spark a fire not only onto himself but the rest of the team... Artest could be that individual

Lilman is on fire with his post. I'm accually the Randolph trade happend, good to see you finally see the light.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

i'm not complaining about the flagrants or running his mouth or showing his emotions... he's certainly more under control than rasheed has been during his career... and that kind of fire IS what the knicks need... but i'll put it this way... when was the last time Kidd, Rasheed, shit even Kobe gets publicly supported...

the kings imploded this season since ronny didn't respect the coach or his teammates... and again... I ask you... if jermaine o'neal and stephen jackson... the two guys who went to war for him on that pacer's squad... could come out and say that he was bad for the team... then what's going to stop guys without as much loyalty to him (curry, lee, randolph, etc) from distancing themselves from him when shit gets rough? even when LB was here... some players hated him (steph, EC) and others didn't mind playing under him (DLee, Crawford)... but they still respected each other... if the players don't respect artest... he could tear apart our locker room...

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
i'm not complaining about the flagrants or running his mouth or showing his emotions... he's certainly more under control than rasheed has been during his career... and that kind of fire IS what the knicks need... but i'll put it this way... when was the last time Kidd, Rasheed, shit even Kobe gets publicly supported...
the kings imploded this season since ronny didn't respect the coach or his teammates... and again... I ask you... if jermaine o'neal and stephen jackson... the two guys who went to war for him on that pacer's squad... could come out and say that he was bad for the team... then what's going to stop guys without as much loyalty to him (curry, lee, randolph, etc) from distancing themselves from him when shit gets rough? even when LB was here... some players hated him (steph, EC) and others didn't mind playing under him (DLee, Crawford)... but they still respected each other... if the players don't respect artest... he could tear apart our locker room...

I didn't follow the Kings this season that closely to know what happened out there, if you did, that's great I would holpe that you could provide us with further details of the Artest barage on his teamates and coaches. However, what I did follow, was Artest after he was traded from the Pacers to the Kings. What I did see then was a Kings team which wasn't doing DICK and Artest came and revived that team to the point where it took the Spurs to 6 games. the defense the offense everything was working those months when he was there. I remember that...

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Y'all need to stop with this about how bad Artest will be on the younger players. Boo-fucking hoo. These are not children, these are young MEN. GROWN MEN. They get paid to play a CHILDRENS game, and make more money in one season that most folks on here will make in a lifetime. Every man is responsible for his OWN ACTIONS and HIS OWN CHOICES. Simply put. You decide to do some dumb shit o well, man up and deal with the consequences. These guys are not idiots, they may just happen to do some dumb shit. If seeing him get suspended landing in jail...is not already a wake up call enough...then they deserve what happens to them plain and simple.

Ron Artest will make this team better DEFENSIVELY something we have been lacking the few years...at least the last 5 years. He will bring someone who can score from the perimeter as well.

Kiyaman

Legend

Artest is that MAN!
He will give you relentless Defense, 12 or more points, 3 to 5 assists, 5 to 10 rebounds, and that energy-boost of Sprewell that gets his teammates energize for the next play. Artest is POLISHED at the SF spot! and SF-Balkman is his Backup that will learn quickly to do the same thing.

I dont have NO-Confidence in PF-Zack Randolph (yet) in a Knick uniform.
But I have High Confidence in PF-David Lee superb consistent performance with any Knick Teammate on the court with him.
Plus after Zack and Lee the only PF the Knicks have is Rookie Randolph Morris. Breaking in two PF (Zack & Morris) this season is enough.

It should be written "Knick-Fans want Ron Artest with David Lee & Renaldo Balkman on the same roster"...

metrocard

Legend
Artest is that MAN!
He will give you relentless Defense, 12 or more points, 3 to 5 assists, 5 to 10 rebounds, and that energy-boost of Sprewell that gets his teammates energize for the next play. Artest is POLISHED at the SF spot! and SF-Balkman is his Backup that will learn quickly to do the same thing.

I dont have NO-Confidence in PF-Zack Randolph (yet) in a Knick uniform.
But I have High Confidence in PF-David Lee superb consistent performance with any Knick Teammate on the court with him.
Plus after Zack and Lee the only PF the Knicks have is Rookie Randolph Morris. Breaking in two PF (Zack & Morris) this season is enough.

It should be written "Knick-Fans want Ron Artest with David Lee & Renaldo Balkman on the same roster"...

Couldn't agree anymore. Collins/Artest/Balkman/Lee is straight up a hustle squad that would be fun to watch on the court.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I didn't follow the Kings this season that closely to know what happened out there, if you did, that's great I would holpe that you could provide us with further details of the Artest barage on his teamates and coaches. However, what I did follow, was Artest after he was traded from the Pacers to the Kings. What I did see then was a Kings team which wasn't doing DICK and Artest came and revived that team to the point where it took the Spurs to 6 games. the defense the offense everything was working those months when he was there. I remember that...

I remember it too... and if that's the Ron we get... I would be happy if the guy can spark a 14 - 5 run and energize us the same way... the problem is... that same off season... Ron was mad that Wells and Adleman were gone... then... during the year... he clashed with bibby cuz Ron wanted to be featured more prominently on offense (despite their better record with Bibby as scoring leader) and clashed with Musselman (a shitty coach anyway)...

what happens if we bring ron in and he's not happy with EC and Randolph getting the majority of shots? or if he can't see eye-to-eye with IT's coaching decisions...

metrocard

Legend
I remember it too... and if that's the Ron we get... I would be happy if the guy can spark a 14 - 5 run and energize us the same way... the problem is... that same off season... Ron was mad that Wells and Adleman were gone... then... during the year... he clashed with bibby cuz Ron wanted to be featured more prominently on offense (despite their better record with Bibby as scoring leader) and clashed with Musselman (a shitty coach anyway)...

what happens if we bring ron in and he's not happy with EC and Randolph getting the majority of shots? or if he can't see eye-to-eye with IT's coaching decisions...

Ron and Isiah are cool people, Isiah has handle Ron Artest before, so it won't be a problem.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Failing the ar-test

As a player Ron Artest could be a great addition. Right now, he is a better player than Lee or Balkman. Right now. But where is his upside? When was the last time he had a better year than the previous one? Four years, five years ago?

The moment he opens his mouth and claims to be Sacremento's franchise player and in the same category as Kobe, McGrady, and Lebron; it becomes obvious why the Knicks should pass unless they can get him for nothing.

Self-assurance is desirable; delusions of grandeur are not. Artest was not even a consistent starter in Sacremento. Get real.

He claims that "other things have derailed him". Those other things are Ron Artest. Until there is some evidence that Ron Artest is a man, that is: that he takes responsibility for himself and his choices, then he is just a fool child with potential. End of story.

paris401

Starter
As a player Ron Artest could be a great addition. Right now, he is a better player than Lee or Balkman. Right now. But where is his upside? When was the last time he had a better year than the previous one? Four years, five years ago?

i guess u can say the same thing about duncan and a host of others..

i look at it as simple as is artest a better player then lee/renaldo ..now... imo, the answer is yes..

if (a big if i agree) curry,zach,artest,starbury,crawford play together, it looks on paper like a damn fine team...