Is this what the knicks need?

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
are you saying curry is in ewing's league? because in terms of defense and rebounding hes nowhere near ewing. he is our number one player but i dont think he stacks up as much as ewing did (in terms of impact on both ends of the court at least)

No curry is no where near as good as Ewing was!! I was mostly saying that the NY front office could have built a better team around Ewing.All those players that was on Ewing's team was good but I fell they could have put better players around him.thats all

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
uh they made the finals twice in the 90s....playing against jordan and the pacers every year. why are yall hating? sure we didnt have a super super star like mj but we had a great team.

Im wit that. Our rivalries against pacers and bulls made for the best basketball in the NBA that hasnt been seen since. Suns/Spurs, Cavs/Detriot are no where near Knicks/Bulls, Knicks/Reggie miller - :evil:

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Im wit that. Our rivalries against pacers and bulls made for the best basketball in the NBA that hasnt been seen since. Suns/Spurs, Cavs/Detriot are no where near Knicks/Bulls, Knicks/Reggie miller - :evil:

Can't forget about the knicks/heat rivalry!!:peace:

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
"Fuck the Zach Randolph Trade"
i dont think i disrespected them at all. If those players were B level, they would have won a championship the way they played the game with Heart and all out hustle. But they weren't. Doc Rivers and Derek Harper were maybe B players early in their careers, not when they got to the knicks though, Starks was a great knick, but not a B player, neither was mase or hubert davis. Oak was an above B player as was Ewing.
Artest as a knick would bring the fire needed to spark this team, hopefully the coaches would catch on and start preaching defense. Artest as a knick could bring this team to the brink

Anthony Mason was 6'7... like 240... and had a handle, could pass and rebound... remember nellie tried to make him a point forward to reinvigorate the offense... ewing got tight and we shipped out Mase for LJ... definately more than a B player... better than Oak IMO... remember the job he did against hakeem in the finals?

Starks was not "great"... he was the goat of game 7... 2 for 18 is infamous... maybe a B- or C+...

hubert davis was a solid C... Harper's defense made them put in the hand check rule... he was our best point guard until steph... knocking down 3s or posting up cats... kinda like sam cassell with defense... at least a B player...

Rivers wasn't a B player during his time with the knicks... neither was Herb...

Where have you been? Its been quit sometime we made noise in the playoffs, almost a decade./b]

I would be happy with a competitive playoff team that can give me hope, FIRST. We all want a championship. But how you gonna say you want a championship without playoffs? Thats like saying wanting to smoke a blunt without a dutch or a phillie.

We need an A player to build around... Team play is important, but this is the NBA, you need your superstar to carry you time to time.

no one is saying you can win a title without making the playoffs... but i don't want to give up what we have just to make the playoffs again... sacramento, portland, jersey were all competitive teams... got to the playoffs... got deep and made noise even... but no chips to show for it... we all miss the playoffs... but championships are what i want...

Detroit proved that you don't NEED an A player to win a chip... a good core of B - B+ players can get it done... i just hope that whatever we decide to be (build around 1 A player) or find complementary Bs... that we stick to it and can start winning...

uh they made the finals twice in the 90s....playing against jordan and the pacers every year. why are yall hating? sure we didnt have a super super star like mj but we had a great team.

we had a great team... without a doubt... but we didn't have the mental toughness to surpass mj or hakeem... like someone said on this thread... when we got to the finals... mj was out of the league... how certain are we that we could have beaten LA, Por or Pho...

Your wrong again son!! I was a part of those years and I never missed a game.Those teams were tough but all they did was let us down WITHOUT NO TITLE.Those teams played like they was a bunch of badass's yet every year when the playoffs come they lost every year. I agree those teams did give us some great memories BUT on the other hand those teams were very dissapointing as well b/c they did'nt win a thing.THATS THE TRUTH

agreed... they disappointed because they didn't win the big one... let's be accurate about the 90s and stop acting like we were the bulls or something...

metrocard

Legend
Shar, so how the hell do you win a championship without going into the playoffs? We all want a championship, I seriously don't understand what you're trying to say.

Portland, New Jersey, and Sacramento had competitive STRONG teams that had the opportunity to win a championship. They fell short, it happends to every team in the NBA.

Do you think we could magically leap the level of a Jailblazer, a Bibby/Peja/Divac/Webber Kings squad or a Nets fast break defensive squad of Kidd/Kittles/Jefferson/Martin and just reach championship level? Hell no, you're wrong. We need to get into the playoffs first, and get experience. Theres nothing wrong with failing in the playoffs, its definately better than being one of the worst teams in the league. Do you want the Knicks to compete or just be losers? I don't know where you're coming from.

I'm sorry to break it to you, we're not Detroit. Detroit had 3-4 All stars with playoff experience on their team. We have zero. Brown and Isiah are totally different.

We need to make the playoffs to improve. Not making the playoffs each season doesn't PROGRESS the franchise.

Bulls failed in the playoffs, but they're projected to be the future of the East, same with the Cavs, Orlando Magic, etc. You don't win championships right away.

Detroit failed in the playoffs before they won anything. They benefited from EXPERIENCE, thats why Detroit looks like a flawless team at times because of their superior experience.

Same with the SPURS, they didn't win the title every year, but they were in POSITION to every god damn year they played basketball. The more experience they build, the better they get.

We weren't the Bulls, but who were like the Bulls? We were fucking good, and I enjoyed the style we played. If you don't, I can't really consider you a Knick fan. The 90's were awesome, from the beginning to the end.

I believe we're a 7th-8th seed, and hopefully we get as much experience as possible in the playoffs this season, so we can benefit in the future and finally build an INDENTITY in the fucking NBA.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Shar, so how the hell do you win a championship without going into the playoffs? We all want a championship, I seriously don't understand what you're trying to say.

Portland, New Jersey, and Sacramento had competitive STRONG teams that had the opportunity to win a championship. They fell short, it happends to every team in the NBA.

Do you think we could magically leap the level of a Jailblazer, a Bibby/Peja/Divac/Webber Kings squad or a Nets fast break defensive squad of Kidd/Kittles/Jefferson/Martin and just reach championship level? Hell no, you're wrong. We need to get into the playoffs first, and get experience. Theres nothing wrong with failing in the playoffs, its definately better than being one of the worst teams in the league. Do you want the Knicks to compete or just be losers? I don't know where you're coming from.

I'm sorry to break it to you, we're not Detroit. Detroit had 3-4 All stars with playoff experience on their team. We have zero. Brown and Isiah are totally different.

We need to make the playoffs to improve. Not making the playoffs each season doesn't PROGRESS the franchise.

Bulls failed in the playoffs, but they're projected to be the future of the East, same with the Cavs, Orlando Magic, etc. You don't win championships right away.

Detroit failed in the playoffs before they won anything. They benefited from EXPERIENCE, thats why Detroit looks like a flawless team at times because of their superior experience.

Same with the SPURS, they didn't win the title every year, but they were in POSITION to every god damn year they played basketball. The more experience they build, the better they get.

We weren't the Bulls, but who were like the Bulls? We were fucking good, and I enjoyed the style we played. If you don't, I can't really consider you a Knick fan. The 90's were awesome, from the beginning to the end.

I believe we're a 7th-8th seed, and hopefully we get as much experience as possible in the playoffs this season, so we can benefit in the future and finally build an INDENTITY in the fucking NBA.

Agreed. 100%

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

I agree with 80% of this... but let me clarify my position...

see... in the 90s... as competitive as we were... we never had a closer... a go to guy that could make things happen for us... Ewing was a blackhole on offense and wouldn't pass out to open shooters enough... so the post/kickout thing didn't work either... riley also did a shitty job in finals by refusing to bench starks...

in 95 we bring in nellie... were looking fresh on offense... then ewing complains about nellie... has the coach shipped and mason traded... we gave up a guy who could initiate the offense and got a guy who had lost his explosiveness in LJ (4 point play not withstanding)... the knicks front office did very little to nothing for a decade and a half... then we witnessed the rapid fall from grace that accompanies aging contenders... this started in the 80s though...

see... people forget that the Bernard King knicks got to the eastern semis in 83... beating former champ philly before loosing to that season's champ in boston... they were competitive but BKing couldn't do it alone... the next year... BKing is injured so we get into the lottery and draft ewing... king has knee surgery and we ship him out for next to nothing... the most prolific scorer in knick HISTORY... traded before he and Ewing could play together...

in the late 80s... we were building an identity... we DRAFTED BOTH rod strickland and mark jackson in 88... NY basketball legends... for jackson we got bo Kimble, Charles Smith (THAT charles smith) and Doc Rivers... we traded rod after 1 season to San Antonio for an aging Mo Cheeks... after watching mark jackson give us the business with his offensive saavy in indy... and rod strickland rip shit in san antonio and portland (when healthy)...

see... trading King, Mason, Strickland and Jackson... was a short sighted move based on satisfying star demands (Mason trade) or injury concerns (King) or for a declining veteral (Strickland)... these moves did not help us win titles... they kept us competitive in the playoffs... but they served to retard our growth...

As much as I like Starks, Harper, Blackman, etc... how many banners do you think we'd be hanging if we had King, Strickland and Jackson on our squad in the 90s? Growing, building, experiences, learning... Of course... Hubie Brown and Rick Pitino didn't do us any favors... but changing your team for the moment... without a clear vision for the franchise is assinine...

i know you can google this shit yourself... but my point is... after 34 years of a title drought... i wanna have a parade on 5th avenue... fuck baseball, basketball and football are my shit... the giants won in the 90s... the jets haven't won in my lifetime... neither have the knicks... we always make moves to appease the fans or coaches or whoever the fuck... but we never make the right ones to get us the chip... playoff experience is important... yes... but... like IT said himself recently... why give up on a guys who can make us championship contenders over the next 4 years... for guys who will make us a playoff contenders?

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I agree with 80% of this... but let me clarify my position...

see... in the 90s... as competitive as we were... we never had a closer... a go to guy that could make things happen for us... Ewing was a blackhole on offense and wouldn't pass out to open shooters enough... so the post/kickout thing didn't work either... riley also did a shitty job in finals by refusing to bench starks...

in 95 we bring in nellie... were looking fresh on offense... then ewing complains about nellie... has the coach shipped and mason traded... we gave up a guy who could initiate the offense and got a guy who had lost his explosiveness in LJ (4 point play not withstanding)... the knicks front office did very little to nothing for a decade and a half... then we witnessed the rapid fall from grace that accompanies aging contenders... this started in the 80s though...

see... people forget that the Bernard King knicks got to the eastern semis in 83... beating former champ philly before loosing to that season's champ in boston... they were competitive but BKing couldn't do it alone... the next year... BKing is injured so we get into the lottery and draft ewing... king has knee surgery and we ship him out for next to nothing... the most prolific scorer in knick HISTORY... traded before he and Ewing could play together...

in the late 80s... we were building an identity... we DRAFTED BOTH rod strickland and mark jackson in 88... NY basketball legends... for jackson we got bo Kimble, Charles Smith (THAT charles smith) and Doc Rivers... we traded rod after 1 season to San Antonio for an aging Mo Cheeks... after watching mark jackson give us the business with his offensive saavy in indy... and rod strickland rip shit in san antonio and portland (when healthy)...

see... trading King, Mason, Strickland and Jackson... was a short sighted move based on satisfying star demands (Mason trade) or injury concerns (King) or for a declining veteral (Strickland)... these moves did not help us win titles... they kept us competitive in the playoffs... but they served to retard our growth...

As much as I like Starks, Harper, Blackman, etc... how many banners do you think we'd be hanging if we had King, Strickland and Jackson on our squad in the 90s? Growing, building, experiences, learning... Of course... Hubie Brown and Rick Pitino didn't do us any favors... but changing your team for the moment... without a clear vision for the franchise is assinine...

i know you can google this shit yourself... but my point is... after 34 years of a title drought... i wanna have a parade on 5th avenue... fuck baseball, basketball and football are my shit... the giants won in the 90s... the jets haven't won in my lifetime... neither have the knicks... we always make moves to appease the fans or coaches or whoever the fuck... but we never make the right ones to get us the chip... playoff experience is important... yes... but... like IT said himself recently... why give up on a guys who can make us championship contenders over the next 4 years... for guys who will make us a playoff contenders?

Bashing Ewing isn't cool. Would we even be a competive team if it wasn't for Ewing? I'm sure you would of like to see Herb Williams be our franchise center instead of Patrick.

Regardless if you disagree or agree with the moves made in the 90's, it doesn't change the fact the 90's were one of the greatest eras in Knicks history. We enjoyed alot of basketball sucessful and came close to the chip in 94'; it was a close series, despite Ewing playing poor, you couldn't have gotten any closer to a championship. If Ewing played well, the chip would of been ours, cause we out played Houston in the majority of those games. The Knicks gave us memorable basketball to watch because they were always competiting. Isiah's team doesn't compete to that level and will never if he continues his ways, bottom line there isn't even a close comparision between the two.

You say Ewing was a blackhole in the offense(lol), then what is Curry? If you don't think Ewing could of won the Knicks a championship, what makes you think Curry or any player on our roster now can even get us that close in the playoffs? No one on this team is on Ewing's level. You're buying too much into Isiah's propoganda.

Fuck Isiah.

The 4 years? You think we can be championship contenders the next 4 years without EVEN touching the playoffs?

Playoffs contenders first, then a progression championship contenders.

jasperjay

Rookie
exactly what the lifeless knicks need ~
his Moma in the crowd will having him playing his best ball....
and win a championship in NY is all his career needs....
He & NY deserve the chance to prove the world wrong....

NY Media and all others made the same bonehead assumptions
when Spree came to town and you saw how that turned out....

NYK 2007

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Bashing Ewing isn't cool. Would we even be a competive team if it wasn't for Ewing? I'm sure you would of like to see Herb Williams be our franchise center instead of Patrick.

Regardless if you disagree or agree with the moves made in the 90's, it doesn't change the fact the 90's were one of the greatest eras in Knicks history. We enjoyed alot of basketball sucessful and came close to the chip in 94'; it was a close series, despite Ewing playing poor, you couldn't have gotten any closer to a championship. If Ewing played well, the chip would of been ours, cause we out played Houston in the majority of those games. The Knicks gave us memorable basketball to watch because they were always competiting. Isiah's team doesn't compete to that level and will never if he continues his ways, bottom line there isn't even a close comparision between the two.

You say Ewing was a blackhole in the offense(lol), then what is Curry? If you don't think Ewing could of won the Knicks a championship, what makes you think Curry or any player on our roster now can even get us that close in the playoffs? No one on this team is on Ewing's level. You're buying too much into Isiah's propoganda.

Fuck Isiah.

The 4 years? You think we can be championship contenders the next 4 years without EVEN touching the playoffs?

Playoffs contenders first, then a progression championship contenders.

you sound like you got a man crush on patrick... i wasn't bashing him... i love #33... my favorite knick of the 90s... him and Mason... I was just pointing out why we lost in the 90s... Ewing needed better help around him and the team needed to convince him that he couldn't win it without good help...

you know i'm not saying EC is Ewing... Ewing was far superior in EVERY facet of the game... but he tried to do it all offensively and didn't defer to his teammates... call a spade a spade... if Ewing was more unselfish... our system would have worked like Houston's or LA's did... look at our shooters... Harper, Blackman, Davis, Starks (mr. 2 - 18)... Ewing was content to launch jumpers or post up with the hook in the paint...

like i said... the knicks TEAMS were not constructed well enough to win titles... competitive... yes... entertaining... yes... but good enough to win it all? no... even analysts admit that we were deeper than the bulls... i don't think jordan and the bulls were every indestructable... we SHOULD have beaten the bulls... but we never could... just when we thought it was our time when MJ retired... we watched houston raise two titles...

I agree about IT's knicks lacking the heart and passion of those squads... but they are getting their... after the brawl... it was palpable man... lee, balkman, collins, qrich, steph, crawford, curry... the energy this squad has at times is deadly... we're never gonna be the Riley's knicks or van gundy's knicks for that matter... but we're getting their...

You keep confusing my point... do I understand that we need to make the playoffs and gain experience before winning a championship? YES... Is there a difference between a team that is building toward a championship and one that is happy making the playoffs? YES...

hopefully... this will clarify the difference... in 96... the lakers a competitive playoff team with eddies jones, cedric ceballos, vlade divac, nick van exel, anthony peeler and more... signed Shaq in free agency... then traded Divac (who would have been an excellent backup) for Kobe Bryant... breaking two golden rules of trading NEVER trade big for small OR young for old so Divac could keep them competitive in the playoffs for a few more seasons... LA went on to win the first 3 titles of the century...

metrocard

Legend
you sound like you got a man crush on patrick... i wasn't bashing him... i love #33... my favorite knick of the 90s... him and Mason... I was just pointing out why we lost in the 90s... Ewing needed better help around him and the team needed to convince him that he couldn't win it without good help...

you know i'm not saying EC is Ewing... Ewing was far superior in EVERY facet of the game... but he tried to do it all offensively and didn't defer to his teammates... call a spade a spade... if Ewing was more unselfish... our system would have worked like Houston's or LA's did... look at our shooters... Harper, Blackman, Davis, Starks (mr. 2 - 18)... Ewing was content to launch jumpers or post up with the hook in the paint...

like i said... the knicks TEAMS were not constructed well enough to win titles... competitive... yes... entertaining... yes... but good enough to win it all? no... even analysts admit that we were deeper than the bulls... i don't think jordan and the bulls were every indestructable... we SHOULD have beaten the bulls... but we never could... just when we thought it was our time when MJ retired... we watched houston raise two titles...

I agree about IT's knicks lacking the heart and passion of those squads... but they are getting their... after the brawl... it was palpable man... lee, balkman, collins, qrich, steph, crawford, curry... the energy this squad has at times is deadly... we're never gonna be the Riley's knicks or van gundy's knicks for that matter... but we're getting their...

You keep confusing my point... do I understand that we need to make the playoffs and gain experience before winning a championship? YES... Is there a difference between a team that is building toward a championship and one that is happy making the playoffs? YES...

hopefully... this will clarify the difference... in 96... the lakers a competitive playoff team with eddies jones, cedric ceballos, vlade divac, nick van exel, anthony peeler and more... signed Shaq in free agency... then traded Divac (who would have been an excellent backup) for Kobe Bryant... breaking two golden rules of trading NEVER trade big for small OR young for old so Divac could keep them competitive in the playoffs for a few more seasons... LA went on to win the first 3 titles of the century...

Brother, don't be a faggot now, no one has a man crush on Ewing. Ewing is one of the most loved Knicks of all time. He had his faults, we know.

Honestly, how the hell did Ewing get in this thread. You've gone off topic and just bashed Ewing, without anyone saying anything about Ewing. Bottom line, without Ewing, we wouldn't even be a playoff team in the 90's.

We were good enough to win it all in 94, bottom line. Plus, I'd much rather be the 90's Knicks than now. I rather get close to winning than never get close to winning. I rather see MY TEAM get as close to succeeding as possible, than being one of the worst in the league every year. Plus the fact we out played Houston in most of the series and lost by two threes in the final game. We weren't dominated, we just had a disappointing overall performance by our Franchise centre.

MJ is just a beast, there was no answer for MJ, Bulls were just a dynasty no one could stop. We were still an amazing team to watch compete every night.

No, we're not getting to the 90's Knicks level. Look at the last 3-4 years. At best we'll be a 7th-8th seed. We're not even a top team in our weak division of the Atlantic. Celtics, Raptors and Nets are improved. WE NEED ARTEST, once we get Artest, no one will fuck with our team, trust me.

I don't understand how you can be so negative about the 90s, but yet but so positive about the doo doo Isiah shitted out and presented to the Knick fans of NYC. Thats really weird.

Didn't understand your last two paragraphs.

Yo, you have to be HAPPY if we make the playoffs this season. Its been like 3 years, the last time we made it we didn't even make noise. Its been a long time. Lets make the playoffs first, then build towards a championship. I just want to see the Knicks make noise in the playoffs, because a championship is unrealistic.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
so let me get your argument straight... you blame ewing for being a black hole but criticize ownership for not giving him better pieces to pass to to score. however, if he has no supporting pieces, who/why would he pass to? passing to less talented teammates when youre the best player on the team isnt always the best of ideas and then you would call him a pussy for not taking big shots. make up your damn mind.

metrocard

Legend
so let me get your argument straight... you blame ewing for being a black hole but criticize ownership for not giving him better pieces to pass to to score. however, if he has no supporting pieces, who/why would he pass to? passing to less talented teammates when youre the best player on the team isnt always the best of ideas and then you would call him a pussy for not taking big shots. make up your damn mind.

Its hard to understand his point when he's going in circles.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

Your sir still have my argument crooked: I'm saying as much as we all love Ewing... let's admit that he had his flaws... He did not play with the best teammates... but neither did Hakeem (rookie sam cassel, young horry, mario elie, kenny smith, otis thorpe, maxwell, etc)... difference was that Hakeem trusted his teammates to knock down the open shots that double teams provided them... Ewing didn't in a lot of situations... we had the shooters around him (Davis, Starks, Rivers, Harper, Blackman, Oakley), but he didn't pass the ball to them when he should have... just poor decision-making in some instances is what I blame Ewing for...

I blame management for not recognizing that Ewing couldn't do it alone and failing to get him another scorer... Again... this is no knock to Ewing... but Robinson needed Duncan, Shaq needed Kobe then Wade... Ewing needed someone to be his offensive sidekick... that's where management failed us by trading Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland and B King... WE HAD ALL THE GUYS THAT COULD HAVE DONE THAT FOR THE TEAM... but we traded them away...

Bottom line, without Ewing, we wouldn't even be a playoff team in the 90's.

We were good enough to win it all in 94, bottom line. Plus, I'd much rather be the 90's Knicks than now. I rather get close to winning than never get close to winning. I rather see MY TEAM get as close to succeeding as possible, than being one of the worst in the league every year. Plus the fact we out played Houston in most of the series and lost by two threes in the final game. We weren't dominated, we just had a disappointing overall performance by our Franchise centre.

MJ is just a beast, there was no answer for MJ, Bulls were just a dynasty no one could stop. We were still an amazing team to watch compete every night.

I don't understand how you can be so negative about the 90s, but yet but so positive about the doo doo Isiah shitted out and presented to the Knick fans of NYC. Thats really weird.

Once and for all: The 90s were a beautiful time to be a Knick fan... the passion... the heartbreak... all of it... looking back though... you see all the opportunities that we missed to get over the hump... then you question what were the people running the Knicks in the 80s and 90s thinking... imagine how much better all our childhoods would have been if Riley were a better coach in the finals... or if we had BKing, Jackson & Strickland out battling the bulls... instead we had greg anthony, derek harper, doc rivers, charles smith, blackman...

I don't know how to type in other languages but I'll say this here again for you... of course i'm not more happy with a 33 win team than a 50+ win team... it makes things seem worse now that we haven't even made the playoffs in 3 years... but I feel like we are a few years away from being REALLY GOOD again... REAL championship contenders... I don't want to see us making moves to make another star happy... what if management (IT or otherwise) trades away players that Randolph doesn't like? Or changes the play scheme because ZBo doesn't like it? That creates a sense of favoritism in the locker room that's as divisive as anything...

You think the Artest trade is a good idea... I don't... we'll never agree on that one...

my last two paragraphs confused you... ... ... so... ... ... let me put it this way... ... ... ...
Would you trade DLee (23), Collins (22) and Balkman (23) for Shaq (35) & Ray Allen (32)? Shaq and Ray would make us #1 in our division and a playoff lock, but would we win a title with them within four years? Now, Run BLC don't make us a lock for #1 and make us no better than an 7th seed next year. BUT, if Lee, Collins and Balkman reach the potential we all think they can, how many titles do you think they can win for us?

Answer that and you will understand what I mean my dude...

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Imagine if...who cares! It was still fun to watch, the chemistry was there.

How does O'Neil and Allen become Knicks though? Too much imagination/what ifs. Its confusing your point. Lee and Balkman at their full potential won't be better than Allen or O'Neil; these guys are hall of fame material players, some of the best players of our generation.

Balkman and Lee are my favorite players, but you're way off on them. They're going to be GOOD players, close to all stars maybe someday. But we're not certain of that yet and its not a sure thing, especially to assume something that big as a championship, you said titles too...but whatever, I hope it happens, we need some titles the next decade.

btw, Artest would fill in our weaknesses.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I've read the posts and as usual, ShairanXIII point of view is complete the one that makes sense to me. NY fans don't want to give players a chance to develop. In the modern NBA, you need at least a big three. We now have that in Curry, Marbury, and Randolph. Now, there are going to have to be some role players. The reason why San Antonio is so successful, is everyone knows their roles and fulfills them without deviation. Everyone wants to win, that is obvious. The reality not everyone is built to win. IT has started to put long term pieces in place. Has it been perfect, no. Has he been effective? So far, we added ten wins to our previous season the worst in our history. And for the record the Knicks did try to get in free agent help for Ewing in the form of Dominque Wilkins. He eventually resigned with Atlanta for 5yrs/25mill. Why? cause he didn't want to be a sidekick. I sure when he watched the Knicks go to finals the same year, he probably wanted to puke (1994). Anyways whose seen more futility in sports than the Boston Red Sox? 86 years between World Series victories. With the new crop of Knicks we have now, I think we'll win sooner than later. Balkman picked up 2 blocks in summer league. Why? The way the Knicks are getting after it defensively, he's free to rotate and pick up blocks, which was something we knew was in his repertoire, but didn't see cause all the mistakes made on defense last year. Again why bring in Artest when you have a younger, cheaper and far more coachable player in Balkman.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I've read the posts and as usual, ShairanXIII point of view is complete the one that makes sense to me. NY fans don't want to give players a chance to develop. In the modern NBA, you need at least a big three. We now have that in Curry, Marbury, and Randolph. Now, there are going to have to be some role players. The reason why San Antonio is so successful, is everyone knows their roles and fulfills them without deviation. Everyone wants to win, that is obvious. The reality not everyone is built to win. IT has started to put long term pieces in place. Has it been perfect, no. Has he been effective? So far, we added ten wins to our previous season the worst in our history. And for the record the Knicks did try to get in free agent help for Ewing in the form of Dominque Wilkins. He eventually resigned with Atlanta for 5yrs/25mill. Why? cause he didn't want to be a sidekick. I sure when he watched the Knicks go to finals the same year, he probably wanted to puke (194). Anyways whose seen more futility in sports than the Boston Red Sox? 86 years between World Series victories. With the new crop of Knicks we have now, I think we'll win sooner than later. Balkman picked up 2 blocks in summer league. Why? The way the Knicks are getting after it defensively, he's free to rotate and pick up blocks, which was something we knew was in his repertoire, but didn't see cause all the mistakes made on defense last year. Again why bring in Artest when you have a younger, cheaper and far more coachable player in Balkman.

The point is though, the Knicks wouldn't have to give up any of the young guns that they have. Artest is only 27 years old, will turn 28 in November. It's not that he's an old dude. And however good Balkman is now, he is still raw, Artest could be a mentor type for him, and he wouldn't be regressing I don't think if Artest would be on the team because of that fact. The knicks could also have a line-up from time to time with Artest and Balkman in at the same time. Here are things I have seen from Ron Artest, He came to Indiana Defensive Player of the year Indiana Best Team in the East, Not on Indiana they become what they are now... He joins the Kings, gets them into the playoffs and almost upsets the Spurs. The Kings choose to fire coach and let Bonzi leave and the season was shit from there... The guy is a winner and he's a badazz, I love that combination and that combination is what the Knicks need in order to shine. Think of it like this. Oakley was the resident BAD ASS for the Knicks back when they were stellar. Other players who came on the team took their cue from Oak. Not saying Mase, Starks, X and the others weren't firey to begin with, but because of Oak, they were able to show it off. I think Artest can rub off the same way. I'm not saying he has to or would turn these Knicks into a group of Bad Asses like the early 90's Knicks, but his presence will provide the Knicks that extra OOMPH that they desperately need especially on the defensive end. And in the end, the knicks should not ahve to give up any major pieces in order to get him

metrocard

Legend
Again why bring in Artest when you have a younger, cheaper and far more coachable player in Balkman.

Because Balkman can't guard 5 guys at once. Why settle for medicore defense? Bringing Artest, we would have Balkman, Collins, Marbury, Richardson and Ronny Ron. Thats SICK perimeter defense. We wouldn't even need a shot blocker, cause no one is going to the paint with that defense around the perimeter.

lilman, you're on a roll...July has been your month.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
It's either the younger, more coachable Balkman or Artest. Why on earth would Sacremento allow us to keep both guys? That's tantamount to wanting to have your cake and eat it too. That stuff never happens in the L. Cmon kids put on your thinking caps. The only way we get Artest is by trading Balkman or Lee. Hence why Isiah has made that move.