Steph marbury..what ranking does he deserve on top PG list

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
did he lead his team to the playoffs? No. Did he create a winning atmosphere where even though his numbers weren't the best, his teamates performed above their skill level? No. Did his team overachieve or underachieve? Under big time. Was the ball in his hands at the end of games? No. Did he hit the winning shot or get the winning assist? or even be part of a play that set them up for a win? Not usually.
I'm sure the answer is yes to some of those questions, but it wasn't a usual experience. Most times it was Crawford, taking an unassisted shot at end of game. Most times during the whole game and especially at end, it was crawford breaking down defense. Marbury was just watching. So how canyou say he's still top 10 after 2006-07? What did he do to make his team a playoff team that year? Oh wait, they didn't make playoffs they were losers. Did he help them at the end of the season? No he was out injured and injury that has lingered with him.
Is allan houston still a top 10 SG? No, not because he's not talented, not because he doesn't play, but because he is physically not capable due to injuries. Much like MARBURY. A guy could be the best in the NBA and if he is injured he can't perform. PG jason williams(not the mIami guy, the one drafted from duke by bulls) he was a promising PG, he got injured and it affected his ability to play...like marbury. Only difference is marbury WAS an all-star and probably top 3 at one point in time. He WAS a dominating PG, Unstopable. HE's older and injury prone ankles. Last 3 seasons he's missed significant playing time, or has played injured and not to his top ability. He's chronic. he's injury prone. 2006-2007 he only missed 8 games but he played injured affecting his game.

Marbury played through heel spurs for 8 years. He can finally come into the season in shape. With plantar fasciatis you dont want that botherin you from the beginning, i see why he got off to slow starts. Now we all know hes healthy workin hard and hes ready to dominate.

I resepct you but i feel like most posters on here downplay how well he played in 06-07. Tony Parker and jason kidd would have both also struggled to make these scrubs better. Crawford is a D-league player with potential that he will most likely never reach and curry is fat, slow, and turnover prone. We had a fun team in 06-07 largely because of marbury especially when he went crazy in march having several 30 point games and a couple 40 point games. His defense was the best we've ever seen it. It didnt result in more wins but in sometimes a good player cant do it by himself. If no one else is willing to commit themselves on defense marbury cant guard 5 players at once. He was about as committed to playin his best defense as he could be, he didnt take no breaks from january to when he got hurt in early April.

We get the right players next to him and I think alot of people will be suprised. I keep sayin hes 31 now, hes made all the money he can make. Hes had a different attitude since he found jesus, i really dont think hes playin for the money at this point. Hes playin to win.

nyknicks3

Rookie
1. chris paul
2. steve nash
3. jason kid
4.chauncy billups
5. tony parker
deron williams
derek fisher
.baron davis
stephon marbury
gilbert arenas

metrocard

Legend
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Jason Kidd
5. Allen Iverson
6. Baron Davis
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Jose Calderon
9. Tony Parker
10. Gilbert Arenas
11. TJ Ford
12. Devin Harris
13. Andre Miller
14. Stephon Marbury

Marbury is close to the top 10 range, he just needs one good season to back it up.

Honestly, Marbury is better than guys like

Jameer Nelson (defensively is terrible, only advantage over Marbury is shooting and youth)
Rajon Rando (C level player)
Earl Watson (C level player)
Jason Williams (C level player)
Mike Conley(right now) (in the future will eventually pass Marbury)
Daniel Gibson (C level player)
Beno Udirh (C level player)
Derek Fisher (glorified role player)
Marko Jaric (C level player)
Jarret Jack (C level player)
Rafer Alston (Never was and never will be better)
Mike Bibby (on the decline completely, terrible defender, really has become one of the least athletic PG's in the NBA)
Raymond Felton (can't shoot, streaky player thats immature as a PG)
Antonio Daniels(role player)
Kirk Hinrich (medicore at everything)
Jamal Tiinsley(injury prone, can't shoot, on the decline)
Maurice Williams(terrible defensively, really a combo guard)

Starks

Starter
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Jason Kidd
5. Allen Iverson
6. Baron Davis
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Jose Calderon
9. Tony Parker
10. Gilbert Arenas
11. TJ Ford
12. Devin Harris
13. Andre Miller
14. Stephon Marbury

Marbury is close to the top 10 range, he just needs one good season to back it up.

Jameer Nelson (defensively is terrible, only advantage over Marbury is shooting and youth)
Mike Bibby (on the decline completely, terrible defender, really has become one of the least athletic PG's in the NBA)

I think Parker is right behind Nash. That guy scares the hell outa me.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm all for the art of thread warfare but damn, this shit is getting old. Marbury can not be ranked at this point. Injuries are a factor, shit attitude and lack of playing is a factor. In any case he didn't play so I can't say he's better then this guy or not as good as that guy (with in reason). I think Marbury's still got gas in the tank but he's more of a shooting guard than a point guard. I like Marbury when he's doing what he does best, scoring, not passing the ball. This team has never really been good under Marbury's leadership. That's not really a knock on him. Silvio wasn't as good of a Don as Tony you know!

Walsh and D'Antoni need to find a point guard and consider trading Crawford and moving Marbury down a spot. With out hate or dickridery this is the only logical way I can see winning with Marbury as even a remote possibility.

jzero29

Rotation player
Marbury

marbury, has not been top 10, but he does have potnetial to be comeback player of year...if the knicks let him run show and not crawford. I wish they'd trade crawford, draft a real PG to back up steph, let him do his thing and eventually have the rookie take over the point, maybe the year after if marbury is having good year. I think marbury can, but will he? So many factors against him, besides injuries, I feel teamates and coaches are a big issue.
I believe the coaches will continue this horrible trend of letting crawford control the ball. Even though steph is better, and possibly could regain top 10 placement...it wouldn't be that hard, as metro pointed out there aren't many dominate PG like marbury is capable of being. He could easily jump back up the top 10 with a solid season. But it's up to the coaches and his teamates to give him the chance. It also means crawford has to be out or have a reduced role. WHich unfortunetaly I don't see happening.

pat

Starter
I believe the coaches will continue this horrible trend of letting crawford control the ball. Even though steph is better, and possibly could regain top 10 placement.

The question you have to ask yourself is: why?

Coaches and GMs spend most of their lives think about basketball or playing basketball. Nobody wants to lose (except to tank a season). I think even Isiah tried his best to win. Unfortuanetly, he didn't know how. So if Pringles and Donnie bench Marbury I assume the have a reason. If they play him, I assume they have a reason as well. Why should anybody let Crawford control the ball, knowing that Marbury is the better option? I think --if so -- it will be more of a question of picking the lesser of two evils.

No coach or member of the managing staff should get his personal sympathies and antipathies in the way of winning. You could say that this may have been the case last season, but for now, you have to wait and see what Donnie and D'Antoni will do.

metrocard

Legend
marbury, has not been top 10, but he does have potnetial to be comeback player of year...if the knicks let him run show and not crawford. I wish they'd trade crawford, draft a real PG to back up steph, let him do his thing and eventually have the rookie take over the point, maybe the year after if marbury is having good year. I think marbury can, but will he? So many factors against him, besides injuries, I feel teamates and coaches are a big issue.
I believe the coaches will continue this horrible trend of letting crawford control the ball. Even though steph is better, and possibly could regain top 10 placement...it wouldn't be that hard, as metro pointed out there aren't many dominate PG like marbury is capable of being. He could easily jump back up the top 10 with a solid season. But it's up to the coaches and his teamates to give him the chance. It also means crawford has to be out or have a reduced role. WHich unfortunetaly I don't see happening.

I like your thinking here, get rid of Crawford to give a young PG prospect a chance to be part of the future here in New York. Thats the direction we need to go. Good post. Hopefully Mayo or Augustin falls to us.

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Jason Kidd
5. Allen Iverson
6. Baron Davis
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Jose Calderon
9. Tony Parker
10. Gilbert Arenas
11. TJ Ford
12. Devin Harris
13. Andre Miller
14. Stephon Marbury

I agree with most of your list. We know marbury has the talent. As long as he can remain healthy he will be back to the top 10. Top 15 is nothing to be ashamed of. That means your better then half the other starting point guards in the league.