Ranking Curry among NBA centers

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
I would rank Shaq, Yao, Wallace, Stoudemire all ahead of Curry. The future is not so bright for Curry because Greg Oden, Al jefferson and Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah will all be better than Curry as well. Curry won't be a top ranked center because there are guys who are better than him and who will be better than him.

By the way I'm looking forward to seeing Greg Oden in the Garden against Curry next year. It should an interesting match up. I'm looking forward to seeing Oden school Curry, blocking everything he tries to throw at him.

nice to see such support from a knicks fan (re Oden). wallace and curry are like polar opposites in terms of offense and defense. hard to call that one.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
After last season judging simply on last season and judging simply on Centers .. the best are Yao - Amare - Howard - Curry and Shaq. After this season, I do believe the list will probably remain the same with probably Shaq going down. I believe Curry showing the improvements he did last season will come back this season and show more on the defensive side of the ball. Curry has shown he is able to do a lot on defense if he ever decides to put his mind to it. I remember a game against Seatle last season, coming down the stretch the knicks were holding on to the lead and Ray Allen beat Marbury or Crawford and had a clear lane to the basket and EC came out of nowhere with a splendid f'n block right when it counted... and the final came of the season against the bobcats with the off-rebound athte end of the game.. But I know potential is one thing and actually doing it is another... but I truly believe that he will have a real decent season this year. but i think the addition of zach randolph will hurt him in a way... but who knows.. SCREW THE ZACH RANDOLPH TRADE DAMNIT... hadn't said that in a while... felt great

nyk_nyk

All Star
hmm I think turnovers per game should be a factor too.

1.Shaq+
2.Amare Stoudemire+/-
3.Yao Ming+/-
4.Ben Wallace+
5.Dwight Howard+
6.Marcus Camby+ Pau Gasol C/PF+/-
7.Zydruntius? Ilgauskas+
8.Emeka Okafor C/PF+ 8.Eddy Curry-
9.Memhet Okur+/-
10.Samuel Dalembert+/-

Curry will be top 5 next season.
I respect your list, but I was only rating true centers in the league.

nyk_nyk

All Star
guys like bosh and okafor and sometimes amare are put at pf, we never do that with curry so keep that in mind. offensively i would put him at top 3 in the league after yao and amare. overall probably somewhere aroudn 6 or 7.
Agree %100. Why are people adding PF's to the list? If your going to rate Curry among active NBA centers, it has to be players that play the position ALL THE TIME. As tall as Duncan is, he will not be remembered as the greatest center of all time. Playing "some center" does not get you on this list. True Centers Only.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
The only true centers I see in the NBA now are the following..

1.) Shaq
2.) Yao Ming
3.) Brad Miller
4.) Chris Kaman
5.) Zydrunas Ilgauskas
6.) Andrew Bogut
7.) Mehmet Okur
8.) Eddy Curry
9.) Samuel Dalembert

Amare, Duncan, D Howard, Camby, Gasol, Okafor, are really PF's whom can play the Center position.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Camby >>>>>>>>>> Curry.

Dwight Howard, Al Jefferson > Curry, tambien.

Camby is better than Curry defensively and rebounding... Curry changes the game offensively... I ranked Curry ahead of him because of how much Curry means to us... but I can see how it could be flipped... I also think Curry's defense and rebounding are slightly better than Camby's offense...

I agree about DHoward... but remember Al Jefferson plays for the Cs... I need to see him produce while the Cs win more than 23 games before ranking him ahead of EC... remember how nice Abdur Rahim was in Vancouver while they were losing?

After last season judging simply on last season and judging simply on Centers .. the best are Yao - Amare - Howard - Curry and Shaq. After this season, I do believe the list will probably remain the same with probably Shaq going down. I believe Curry showing the improvements he did last season will come back this season and show more on the defensive side of the ball. Curry has shown he is able to do a lot on defense if he ever decides to put his mind to it. I remember a game against Seatle last season, coming down the stretch the knicks were holding on to the lead and Ray Allen beat Marbury or Crawford and had a clear lane to the basket and EC came out of nowhere with a splendid f'n block right when it counted... and the final came of the season against the bobcats with the off-rebound athte end of the game.. But I know potential is one thing and actually doing it is another... but I truly believe that he will have a real decent season this year. but i think the addition of zach randolph will hurt him in a way... but who knows.. SCREW THE ZACH RANDOLPH TRADE DAMNIT... hadn't said that in a while... felt great

Aguire, Isiah and Q all agree with you about EC... let's see what he does next year...

The only true centers I see in the NBA now are the following..

1.) Shaq
2.) Yao Ming
3.) Brad Miller
4.) Chris Kaman
5.) Zydrunas Ilgauskas
6.) Andrew Bogut
7.) Mehmet Okur
8.) Eddy Curry
9.) Samuel Dalembert

Amare, Duncan, D Howard, Camby, Gasol, Okafor, are really PF's whom can play the Center position.

Shaq #1? Brad Miller? My dude... you do know this isn't 2002 right? How do you rank Bogut ahead of Okur and Curry... and how does Dalembert crack a list of top 9 centers?

Amare, DHoward and Camby START at the 5 for their squads... they also play the majority of their minutes there...

Duncan starts at 4... but plays the majority of his minutes at 5... peep the finals for evidence... at the close of games... it's usually him and Curry...

Gasol and Okafor play the majority of their minutes at 4 so I agree with you on that one...

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I didn't rank them in order...just by who I could remember...
As well I didn't say Howard and them were not starting or mostly playing..C...just stating watching their games they look to me more like PF'S than Centers...I think they are crossbreeds

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I didn't rank them in order...just by who I could remember...
As well I didn't say Howard and them were not starting or mostly playing..C...just stating watching their games they look to me more like PF'S than Centers...I think they are crossbreeds

i see your point... but then how is Okur a "true" center than D Howard... DH reminds me of Mosses Malone or David Robinson...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Howard played C, Darko/Battie played PF.

lol @ the term true center. Its just a position.
If your going to rank a player in the league among others who play the same position, then it's only fair to list players who start the position every game.

MJ played minutes at the point almost every game, but no one is going to mention his name among PGs.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I wouldn't necessarily say that only players who start at the position... but where do they play the majority of the time...

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Looks like I was wrong EC will never be the Top 5 center. I thought that since he made a good step last season had a career high in almost everything, I thought he might have more motivation for talent this year. I guess I was wrong. 21 games in the season. Still more to prove. But he wont prove anything he is just a mediocre center that is lucky enough to be a started for some reason....

Pricey

Rotation player
Howard for mine, has taken his game to another level and will only improve. Perhaps needs to work on free throws and getting so many quick fouls.
Shaq was a awesome player but is way past his best. i wouldnt have him in my top 5 centres easy.
Chandler i think is very underated.
Stoudamire is a GUN!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Dwight HOward is lookin like a pro playin against a college team, hes dominating especially on the boards. Hes puttin up the best numbers for any big man but Garnett is probably still better, but its close. Theres been alot of take about Dwight, I Got him ahead of Amare Stoudamire now. I didnt see that comin but I think that injury clearly slowed him down, he dominated Duncan in playoffs 3 years ago but last year Duncan looked like the better player.

I still think Dwights offense is limited but because of his strenght, height, and athletic ability hes tough to stop 5 feet in. Outside of 5 feet he dont have much game.

metrocard

Legend
This is my list just based off this past season

Yao
Howard
Amare ( I don't see how having Nash makes him not as good?)
Shaq ( hurt much of last year)
Camby ( his offense is better than Eddy's D)
Eddy
Chandler ( bottom line Eddy's D is just a little better than his offense)
Ben Wallace ( minor step back last season, probablly bounces back this year)
Bynum
Duncan ( I know he's a power forward, but when inserted at Center he's probably in the top 5, but I rank him this low due to not playing Center all that often)
Chris Kaman ( Similar game to D. Lee, Lee is much more athletic, but Kaman is taller, also took a step back last year, but should have a better season this year.)

Honarable Mention: Emaka Ok. ( I thought he was a PF), Brad Miller, Mourning ( still one of the games best post defenders), and Dalembert

On the rise:
Oden ( bad summer league means nothing)
Bynum ( listed in my top 10 but expect him to improve to a top 5)
Jamal Magloire ( only if he lands in NJ w/ J. Kidd)

Great prediction, kudos.

Theres no such thing as a "true" center. Centers a center. If you start at center and the play the position well, you're a center. Kurt Thomas was our center for quite some time did a good job.

NBA center rankings

+ = on the rise to eliteness
- = declining their ranking

If I put nothing it means my prediction says they will range around that ranking

1. Howard +++
2. Duncan -
3. Yao
4. Stoudemire
5. Camby
6. Kaman ++
7. Stoudemire
8. Okafor
9. Gasol -
10. O'Neil -------
11. Chandler +
12. Weed Wallace -