What should Jamal role be next year?

Big C

Benchwarmer
I think Jamal is better when he starts and plays more of the pg role. Also this allows Marbury the freedom to score. Since Jamal is the best at setting up plays for the big men on our team his role should be more of a facilitator.

jzero29

Rotation player
See My posts on Crawford

I think his best role would be that of bench warmer or towel boy. But Considering he gets playing time, trade bait may be the role for him. Do you really want crawford playing PG with his horrible turnover numbers? Career high last year, of 2.75 per game. He's not even our best shooter. Maybe someone else would blossum if he wasn't chucking up 15-20 shots a game. I'm Done with jamaal. for now. If he produces I'm goingto have one big foot in my mouth. (i'll be rooting for my foot in mouth, but we'll see)

mrkyll

Rookie
I think Jamal's role should be as a mentor to Demetris Nichols-

to show him the WRONG way to shoot a high percentage in the NBA,
to show him the WRONG way to great shot selection,
to show him the WRONG way to be a good defender...

damn I know it's beem kinda a dry summer and all, but three Jamal Crawford Threads in one week! Look I bashed Jamal hardcore last thread, but let's remember as long as a player is wearing a Knick jersey we should be pulling for him ( yes even Jerome James). So I hope his overall game improves this year, and if not we trade him for someone who fits our needs at the 2

Big C

Benchwarmer
Jamal should start on this team because he is the best at setting up the offense and feeding the post. When Jamal starts he plays better than when he comes off the bench. It was no accident that when Jamal startered the Knicks started winning more games than when they were losing last year. There is no better option in the backcourt than Jamal and Marbury of this team.

Big C

Benchwarmer
I honestly honestly believe Jamal deserves his chance at left bench.
Why start him off the bench when the team plays better when he starts? Not only just the team but Marbury. The Marbury and Q combination has not worked for two years why do you think it will work now?

Kiyaman

Legend
Last season Crawford looked good and played smart-ball coming off the Bench with David Lee, Balkman, and Nate. But the Starting Lineup (Marbury, Francis, Q.Rich. Frye, and Curry) at the time was getting beat by every oponent.

Last season Crawford played smart ball as a Starter when David Lee was in the the starting lineup with him.

Crawford should strictly play SG this season.

I notice how Crawford plays his best ball with certain players on the court with him, and how alot of other Knick Players were somewhat the same.

Looking at the ERROR of this Knick Team past, I can say that Crawford, Q.Rich, Francis, Jefferies, and now Zack Randolph should not have been a Knick "STARTER" their first season with the Knicks. Especially early in the season with new teammates.
Starting Zack Randolph this upcomming Season over David Lee will be another Big ERROR and the Same "Save-Face" coaching that produced a 33 WIN season.

gega

Rookie
Look jamal is good, hes not a bad player, the guy does not get consistent playing time from game to game, and when hes in the game he tries stupid things like turning the ball over, and taking bad shots. If he starts he can set up the big guys early and score. I think he should start so the game comes to him more instead of him rushing things. :fire:

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
What's with all the Jamal bashing??? He's better than a lot of other shooting guards in the league. Have people forgotten all the good things he's done for the team. Half the damn time he was the one hitting clutch shots at the end of games. Jamal can be somewhat reckless at times, but damn when he's zoned in he can put numbers up with the best of them.

As for his role: Jamal needs to have a good shooting year from the perimeter. He along with Marbury and Q really have to make defenses respect their jumpshot in order for Curry and Z to have the freedom to score in or around the paint. He also should continue to beat people off the dribble (which he does so well) to get Curry and Z easier baskets. Curry and Jamal usually play well together and I don't expect that to change.

Don't hate on Jamal because really there aren't too many players at his position that possess the quickness, range and ballhandling skills like him. We don't need him to be Bruce Bowen on D, just play hard every game.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
If Nate can play the way he did in the SL... then Jamal should be the #1 option of the second unit... Nate, Jamal, Nichols, Lee (Balkman 3, Q 2 would start)...

if Nate is still outta control AND we don't make any moves... Mal should start... wouldn't want 2 guys who dominate the ball on the second unit together... plus... with Zach out there... he should be the third option instead of the second...

nyk_nyk

All Star
If Nate can play the way he did in the SL... then Jamal should be the #1 option of the second unit... Nate, Jamal, Nichols, Lee (Balkman 3, Q 2 would start)...

if Nate is still outta control AND we don't make any moves... Mal should start... wouldn't want 2 guys who dominate the ball on the second unit together... plus... with Zach out there... he should be the third option instead of the second...
Your projected starting lineup is ok but I would rather start Q, Mal and Steph together. Reason is that we need to spread the floor as much as possible since our C and PF plan on killing opponents in the paint.

It could go either way though. I like the energy off the bench.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I had Steph, Q and Balkman start the perimeter for defense... when Zach/Eddy get doubled... they have Q and Steph who can knock down the mid/long range shot... and Steph/Balkman who can slash and penetrate...

metrocard

Legend
Whats Jamal isn't even a great starter first off of, I remember one season Jamal had 20 twenty point games off the bench, one of the best in the NBA. Crawford is only good off the bench where we have no high percentage scoring options, so Crawford could go nut and hit or miss. Jamal doesn't belong on a steady pace offense. His chucking leads to fast break to the defenses, which entirely makes our defense weaker than it already is. Jamal Crawford is too one dimensional to start. Please give me Collins or Q-Rich any day of the week.

Whats Jamal isn't even a great starter first off of, I remember one season Jamal had 20 twenty point games off the bench, one of the best in the NBA. Crawford is only good off the bench where we have no high percentage scoring options, so Crawford could go nut and hit or miss. Jamal doesn't belong on a steady pace offense. His chucking leads to fast break to the defenses, which entirely makes our defense weaker than it already is. Jamal Crawford is too one dimensional to start. Please give me Collins or Q-Rich any day of the week.
Completely Agree!

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
I think he would be the scorer this year. He'll get more playing time now that Francis is gone. He going to be the one who will put the ball in the hoop and score. But who knows what he'll do this year. He is a plyer who can do it all. Pass, shoot, score.

clumsy

Rotation player
been reading these forums for a minute (since earlier this year) but was too lazy to sign up till now....

Anyways, crawford's role should be.....

A player used for trade bait (along with those 2 expiring contracts or if possibly one of our back up backups) for draft picks or something....

i'm thinking maybe to seattle for there draft pick this or next year? He definitely has value and some other teams would probably take him in a heartbeat, i just don't think he brings that much to our current squad. For every amazing play he makes, he has 2 or 3 bad possessions.

jzero29

Rotation player
His role should be Playing a shoelace, maybe trade bait

I love the trade bait idea, except that means we will have to play him for teams to be interested. Shoelace fits him perfect. I have been hard on jamaal, only because he is part of the losing team that was(is until proven otherwise) the knicks. He catches a lot of my wrath because, he gets so much praise for being the bestplayer on the knicks. Truth is not one knick is a complete player. Not one knick.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer

I agree, Jamal spent his best times coming off the bench. he can come in at PG or SG which would be good for matchups.