Gutting the Team for Kobe is he really worth it?

Not that I think that it is at all realistic that we land Kobe....but it appears if we were to have a shot then quite a few of our young players would need to be included. Lee, Balkman, and Crawford would need to be included just to begin talks, Nate and maybe even one of our drafted players would needed to be added, and some expiring contracts, so is he worth it. Ok I know we all have visions of him putting up 60+ games in the Garden(for the Knicks) and we already imagining the #8 Jersey as well as all the TV time we would be getting, but Kobe hasn't proven he can win without Shaq.The Lakers may not be more talanted than the Knicks on paper, but no question they have a better coach (which isn't at all a knock on IT) and that team has not gotten out of the first round of the Playoffs. Eddy, Zach Steph and Kobe sounds great, but we no longer have the depth off the bench. Granted that lineup won't be nearly as vulnerable to injuries as Boston, but like the C's we wouldn't have a bench. And Also like the C's we would have a small window of time to win, Kobe and Steph are 30 Zach and Q Rich 26, so this squad that is going to take atleast a year to gel is racing against time. Kobe is the best player in the league not to mention he and Steph seem to like each other which is also a huge plus. But again all stats aside, he isn't worth it, if Isiah pulled off this trade there would be instant gratification like Ainge is getting, I saw somewhere some Boston fan describe him as "the Great Danny Ainge" , and no doubt if IT pulls this off he's back on Letterman next season, and Knick fans will soon forget those Fire Isiah chants, until Kobe begins to run down, and Lee and Balkman become key players on teams, and the unprotected picks we gave up to land him begin to show promise. I like the move for Artest because what we are mostly shortning our roster for the good of the team while acquiring an All Star. With Kobe we Acquire a mega superstar while gutting the team

Steph
Kobe
Q
Zach
Eddy

Bench
Mardy(maybe not, the Lakers may want him too!)
Chandler
Jerome James(this is our wife we're stuck with him)
Jared Jefferies(our girlfreind we knocked up, stuck with him too)
Fred Jones or Dan Dikau

Not much Depth at all

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
kobe is a great talent but i think he belongs in a team that is structured like the philly team that went to the championship a couple years ago

jzero29

Rotation player
kobe needs shaq,

Kobe needed shaq, or at least a shaq type player, which many people believe eddy curry is. Shaq is a much better passer, and in his day, the better scorer rebounder and defensive presence. But kobe and curry can develope something. If we kept either balkman or lee, in the above deal, i'd do it in a heart beat. Crawford, not a quarter the talent on either end as kobe. Kobe plays just as hard and also plays better defense is just even more exciting than jamaal. Everyone else besides lee and balkman and the two rookies are expendable in my opinion. I am by no means a kobe fan, and would be just as happy without him as with him. I think we''ve made enough moves to give the team some new dimensions and give eddy some relief on the scoring load he needed last year. They just need to have a defensive hunger, maybe the rookies and balkman can supply this hunger, share it with the guys.

I love Kobe and only pondered this one a few seconds NO lee and balkman are studs or soon to be. Crawford is our best drive and dish guy and Kobe wouldn't fit in he's to west coast. We need Artest and someone with post defence in N.Y.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not that I think that it is at all realistic that we land Kobe....but it appears if we were to have a shot then quite a few of our young players would need to be included. Lee, Balkman, and Crawford would need to be included just to begin talks, Nate and maybe even one of our drafted players would needed to be added, and some expiring contracts, so is he worth it. Ok I know we all have visions of him putting up 60+ games in the Garden(for the Knicks) and we already imagining the #8 Jersey as well as all the TV time we would be getting, but Kobe hasn't proven he can win without Shaq.The Lakers may not be more talanted than the Knicks on paper, but no question they have a better coach (which isn't at all a knock on IT) and that team has not gotten out of the first round of the Playoffs. Eddy, Zach Steph and Kobe sounds great, but we no longer have the depth off the bench. Granted that lineup won't be nearly as vulnerable to injuries as Boston, but like the C's we wouldn't have a bench. And Also like the C's we would have a small window of time to win, Kobe and Steph are 30 Zach and Q Rich 26, so this squad that is going to take atleast a year to gel is racing against time. Kobe is the best player in the league not to mention he and Steph seem to like each other which is also a huge plus. But again all stats aside, he isn't worth it, if Isiah pulled off this trade there would be instant gratification like Ainge is getting, I saw somewhere some Boston fan describe him as "the Great Danny Ainge" , and no doubt if IT pulls this off he's back on Letterman next season, and Knick fans will soon forget those Fire Isiah chants, until Kobe begins to run down, and Lee and Balkman become key players on teams, and the unprotected picks we gave up to land him begin to show promise. I like the move for Artest because what we are mostly shortning our roster for the good of the team while acquiring an All Star. With Kobe we Acquire a mega superstar while gutting the team

Steph
Kobe
Q
Zach
Eddy

Bench
Chandler
Fred Jones or Dan Dikau

Not much Depth at all

1st Kobe is 28 and has many many more productive years.
2nd I think Kobe taking a backseat to Shaq shows Kobe's wisdom and and willingness to win.
3rd We would almost certainly recieve a roll player or two in return.

In short kobe is worth the loss if you can pair him with Steph, Zack and Eddy. Within a year every veteran looking for title will be willing to come and play for the minimum to win a title. Any loss in depth would be short term and worth it!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not to mention Kobe is hands down best player in league. Closest to MJ in skill, game and dominance. Think about having a chance to pick up MJ at 28...he was 32 when he had his 2 set of titles. Not to mention being the MVP.

dialdayo

Rookie
Not to mention Kobe is hands down best player in league. Closest to MJ in skill, game and dominance. Think about having a chance to pick up MJ at 28...he was 32 when he had his 2 set of titles. Not to mention being the MVP.

EXACTLY ARE U SERIOUS KOBE CAN GO DOWN AS THE BEST SG IN NBA HISTORY AND U WOULDNT GIVE UP LEE BLAKMAN AND SOME PICS TO GET HIMM..GTF OUTTA HERE
MARDY CAN BACK UP MARBURY
NICHOLS CAN BACK UP BRYANT
ARTEST WOULD BE SIGNING WITH US SOO Q/chandler WILL BACK HIM UP
JARED CAN BACK UP ZACK
randolph and fat ass jerome james can back up curry

cmon now u would rather have this team now that a possible team of (if kobe comes u definitely know artest will follow next year)

marbury
kobe
artest
zach
curry

ARE U SERIOUS BOSTON MIAMI OR DETROIT OR NJ WOULDNT BE ABLE TO DARE COMPETE WITH THIS LINEUP...WE HAVE THE BIGGEST DAM PAYROLL IN THE LEAGUE....MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS ITS ABOUT TIME WE PUT IT TO USE

jzero29

Rotation player
would be nice,

EXACTLY ARE U SERIOUS KOBE CAN GO DOWN AS THE BEST SG IN NBA HISTORY AND U WOULDNT GIVE UP LEE BLAKMAN AND SOME PICS TO GET HIMM..GTF OUTTA HERE
MARDY CAN BACK UP MARBURY
NICHOLS CAN BACK UP BRYANT
ARTEST WOULD BE SIGNING WITH US SOO Q/chandler WILL BACK HIM UP
JARED CAN BACK UP ZACK
randolph and fat ass jerome james can back up curry

cmon now u would rather have this team now that a possible team of (if kobe comes u definitely know artest will follow next year)

marbury
kobe
artest
zach
curry

ARE U SERIOUS BOSTON MIAMI OR DETROIT OR NJ WOULDNT BE ABLE TO DARE COMPETE WITH THIS LINEUP...WE HAVE THE BIGGEST DAM PAYROLL IN THE LEAGUE....MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS ITS ABOUT TIME WE PUT IT TO USE
That would be nice, a little far fetched. The Kobe thing isn't likely, besides he tends to dominate the team and make other players worthless. So it's tough. I think we could probably stand fast this year, and like you said add artest next year. We'd be stacked, it still would have to be a sign and trade, but with the kings having no leverage, because artest can opt out and they get nothing, we'd be able to get him for less. We'd still have lee and balkman and we'd be deep. artest would go a year without getting trouble, winning over many fans.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Steph
Kobe
Q
Zach
Eddy

Bench
Chandler
Fred Jones or Dan Dikau

Not much Depth at all

We are talking fantasy now but if we were to get a shot at Kobe I don't see us keeping Randolph and Curry. One would go. But I really don't like Kobe for the Knicks. He would make us a totally different team. On the other hand Thomas would be obligated to go after Kobe just to keep him away from our direct competitors in the east. The last thing we want is Kobe in Chicago.

I would't mind Kobe ending up in Chi because of two reasons 1-How much worse would Kobe crush us than Gordan has been doing? 2- Just think of what Da Bulls would have to give up to get him and they would still have no offence in the paint

What is the point of shreading all our young talent and hard work of years of young talent for a ball hog not getting any younger scorer?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
What is the point of shreading all our young talent and hard work of years of young talent for a ball hog not getting any younger scorer?

Not getting any younger?? He's only 5 years older than Lee and if you didn't know one of the top 5 players in the League. As was mentioned previously, Jordan won titles into his 30's.

We are talking fantasy now but if we were to get a shot at Kobe I don't see us keeping Randolph and Curry. One would go. But I really don't like Kobe for the Knicks. He would make us a totally different team. On the other hand Thomas would be obligated to go after Kobe just to keep him away from our direct competitors in the east. The last thing we want is Kobe in Chicago.

Something tells me that its not total fantasy. I mean look at it, during the past few years, when SUPERSTAR players, not just regular star players, But the Superstars are in talks to get traded... They get traded.. Vince, McGrady, KG, AI.

----------------------------
and my :2cents: ... The trade would of course involve Zach, then either Lee or Balkman, Chandler or Collins, one of the expiring contracts and a protected pick.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not getting any younger?? He's only 5 years older than Lee and if you didn't know one of the top 5 players in the League. As was mentioned previously, Jordan won titles into his 30's.

Something tells me that its not total fantasy. I mean look at it, during the past few years, when SUPERSTAR players, not just regular star players, But the Superstars are in talks to get traded... They get traded.. Vince, McGrady, KG, AI.

----------------------------
and my :2cents: ... The trade would of course involve Zach, then either Lee or Balkman, Chandler or Collins, one of the expiring contracts and a protected pick.

Seriously...why does everyone have any issue with Kobe's age? He is only 28 and not injury prone. He has a similar game to MJ whoi showed his dominance well into his 30's. Kobe J will only get better as did MJ with age...LET ME REPEAT THIS>>>>KOBE IS WORTH ANY PRICE THAT LEAVES HIM PAIRED WITHSTEPH AND OUR BIGS!!!!!!!TRADE FOR KOBE AND ITS GUARANTEED TITLE RUNS....not to mention he is just plain fun to watch!!

kobe is a great player but we would shread up our team and chemestry for him i dont know the players we should try to keep if we make the deal are stephon-eddy-david lee-and balkman and mardy but id think theid want him too!

8th seed

Rookie
kobe is a great talent but i think he belongs in a team that is structured like the philly team that went to the championship a couple years ago

Kobe, Ronny, leave these guys alone. Let's build with the talent we have. We have to stop looking for a quick fix.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I dig Kobe. I however, thought the Lakers should have traded him Last year. You can't afford to have a perpetual malcontent. If he's going to opt out at next years end, it should be on someone else's roster. He wants too much control. To bring him hear would only negatively effect the youthful roster we have. How long before we hear another ludicrous trade demand through Srephen A. Smith?

Yes.

Getting the best player since Jordan would never hurt a team. He wants out of LA because of their situation in management now. They are not drafting well, or grroming young talent well. Kobe wants a chance at another title. It ain't happening there.

Face it, the world is selfish as a whole. People all want what they want. That fact then makes Kobe one of many who think selfishly.

That said, I cannot see how getting the best player on the planet hurts our team. Especially since he holds all the cards in his favor as far as trades go. Meaning he can help dictate the deal, and who stays and who goes.

Lakers are screwed. Should have traded him before the draft when they could have gotten much more than they will now. With KG gone, they have no leverage. Oneal is nice, but he does not put them over the top if Odom and Bynum go in that deal. And if they do that, and Kobe still leaves, they are screwed again. So no matter what they do, they are screwed.

Knicks will make a strong run at getting him the moment he becomes available (and he will).

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Getting the best player since Jordan would never hurt a team. He wants out of LA because of their situation in management now. They are not drafting well, or grroming young talent well. Kobe wants a chance at another title. It ain't happening there.

Face it, the world is selfish as a whole. People all want what they want. That fact then makes Kobe one of many who think selfishly.

That said, I cannot see how getting the best player on the planet hurts our team. Especially since he holds all the cards in his favor as far as trades go. Meaning he can help dictate the deal, and who stays and who goes.

Lakers are screwed. Should have traded him before the draft when they could have gotten much more than they will now. With KG gone, they have no leverage. Oneal is nice, but he does not put them over the top if Odom and Bynum go in that deal. And if they do that, and Kobe still leaves, they are screwed again. So no matter what they do, they are screwed.

Knicks will make a strong run at getting him the moment he becomes available (and he will).

first off, did u not see what it took to get KG, imagine for kobe, and 2nd kobe doesnt make the ppl around em better, kobe is a hell of player and he is capable to win u games but for what the knicks would have to give up for kobe, i rather just keep this squad

first off, did u not see what it took to get KG, imagine for kobe, and 2nd kobe doesnt make the ppl around em better, kobe is a hell of player and he is capable to win u games but for what the knicks would have to give up for kobe, i rather just keep this squad

Boston was more desperate for KG than the Knicks will be for Kobe. Secondly, you must have missed the part about the no trade clause, which looms as a huge problem for the Lakers. This means that if the Lakers try and gut the roster of the interested team, Kobe can vito it. Why would Kobe go play somewhere without any help? That said, you can certainly see a package of 3-4 players and some picks. The Knicks are so deep, they can afford to trade in that fashion, unlike Boston.

And who says he does not make others around him better? What does that mean? Did Micheal REALLY make Scottie better? Or did Scottie working on his game make Scottie better?

Did Steph make Curry better? Or did Curry finally seeing the light and actually working on his game make him better?

The most overrated cliche (sp?) ever is someone saying another player makes others better. Systems may make players look better than they are, but players don't make other players better. They can however make their JOB easier on the floor, but they can't make them better as a player.

If so, how?

I think that Kobe would cost us to much of our young talent. I also belive that we should go ahead and get Artest because it won't cost us our young guys except maby Balkman along with some expireing contracts. Artest could bring us some much needed D.