Gutting the Team for Kobe is he really worth it?

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
everyone seems to under estimate kobe's no trade clause... since he can dictate where he goes... he can also dictate who a team gives up for him... no way he lets them gut us... our huge payroll actually works in our favor... since we can sacrifice pieces and still have a championship team... most likely... i think LA would take marbury, lee/balkman, rose, jones & dikau/ Crawford for kobe and radmanovic... Marbury is #8 in jersey sales... so LA takes him for marketing... he's our biggest star... plus he only has two years left on his contract... rose's number is up this season... lee/balkman are young and exciting... jones and dikau are also up this year... unless they take crawford to take the roster spot... but i think they look to clear space... this gives them...

steph, evans, odom, turiaf, mihm
Bench: farmer, bynum, kwame, rose, lee/balkman

lottery team? fa sho... but this way they rebuild in two years... they don't die in seven... they won't take zach or eddy since their contracts are too large... unless they think they're superstars... it doesn't make sense otherwise... save money up... there are a couple really good free agent classes coming soon... they'd be able to sign someone outright like when they signed shaq...

and kobe only wants to leave LA because the management is inept... same as we complain about IT... Kobe complains about kupchack... if he was here... him, curry, randolph, collins... maybe even bring phil across coasts next year...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Getting Kobe would be a huge risk for our team stability...I say we stick to our young guns. I don't even want to imagine a team with Kobe, Z-Bo, and Curry...not enough shots to go around...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Why is everyone so concerned about holding on to our young players instead of picking up Kobe.? The whole point of young talent is that they MAY one day develope into 2/3's the player Kobe is. Kobe is talented and young enough that you can loose all the depth it would take to get him IF we can keep Curry and Randolph and build around those three. As I mentioned before, if you put a unit like that together you will see talent clamor to come and paly in NYC just to be part of what will be a lock on many title runs.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
So what use is Curry if we get Kobe? Kobe will be the number one option thus making Curry/Randolph the number 2 option who still doesn't play that great of defense. You're putting 25+ scorer with two 20+ low post scorers who aren't known for thieir D...not a good idea. One has to go for a defensive 4 or 5 if we get Kobe

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The problem with going after Kobe is that the Lakers will want to gut the Knicks of all their talent. They took the hit with Shaq, they won't do that again. If Kobe decides not to resign, then you could call the Lakers and try for a sign and trade. There is no way they trade Kobe right now with out getting back a boat load. Also, while there is no denying his talent he is a tough player to try to feature. Jordan was the ultimate superstar whereas he not only could score 40-50 points if the team needed him to do, he could also lift the games of his fellow teammates. Kobe is a selfish player that is missing that part in his game. He wants to be held up in the ranks of a Jordan, but he lacks a huge part of his game. So, unless you basically want an offense that is 80% kobe ant 20% everyone else; or even 90% Kobe and 10% Curry, I say let's see what this year looks like. If we can get Artest without giving up Lee, you won't need Kobe on this team.

jzero29

Rotation player
Kobe, would instantly turn this francise around but...

Kobe would instanlty make this team a playoff team and he's capable of going deep, with a low post scorer to balance out his shooting. As long as we kept either curry or zach, we'd make playoffs no matter what we gave up. But again, everyone else, would struggle. He'd change the whole chemistry. But how good has that chemistry been? Not .500, not playoff caliber. I don't know if I'd want him. I am back and forth on Kobe and Artest trades. Both are talents and both have there draw backs. I think, they'd both bring sucess to the team, how much? I don't know. Artest, I think would make this team a contender and if we don't have to give to much up.

I just went to a NBA salary site and worked out my own little Kobe to N.Y. trade and I think it workes for both of us

Kobe
K.Brown

For :agreed:

Crawford
Dickau
Jones
Nate
Zack

We get a much needed Superstar in Kobe and a big with a wide body to eat up space at the PF (we still got Lee) The Lakers get plenty of scoreing with Crawford,Nate and Zack and expiring contracts of two guards that they could use the servises of in a PG and a defencive SG. If N.Y. had to they could through in a draft pick or something.

Last edited: