Allan Houston a Knick again?

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
"However, league sources said the Knicks might offer Houston part of their midlevel exception, and could clear some roster space to make room for him. They have 17 players under contract, including three shooting guards."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTcxOTUzMTQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

I say we get it him for insurance. We aren't going to use the mid-cap exception on anyone useful anyways. The only problem is the roster is sitting at 17 and JC and Collins have priority over him right now. We'll see how it works out. It might comeback as a blessing if JC or Collins or even Q-Rich goes down for a large chunk of the season...

Trin_Starr

Starter
Isiah doesn't want him but Dolan does.
If H20 is added the roster is now at 18.
Barring any trades, I can see Dickau and Jones being waived and Isiah telling Dolan that if he want H20 on the team - he needs to buy out Jerome James' contract.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Webpage taking extremely long to load:
Here's the article -

Saturday, September 15, 2007

By AL IANNAZZONE
STAFF WRITER

The Knicks have lost so much to the Nets over the past six years they may not want to lose Allan Houston to them, too.

Both teams are in the chase for the shooting guard, who is trying to make a comeback after retiring two years ago because of an arthritic left knee. But the Knicks could up the ante.

The Nets have invited Houston to training camp on a "make good" contract for the veteran's minimum. But Houston has received the same offer from other teams.

However, league sources said the Knicks might offer Houston part of their midlevel exception, and could clear some roster space to make room for him. They have 17 players under contract, including three shooting guards.

Houston is a favorite of Knicks owner Jim Dolan, so it could be he wants his former franchise player back. It's also possible that with all the negative publicity the Knicks and Madison Square Garden are getting from the Isiah Thomas sexual harassment trial, they might want some good PR.

Losing Houston to the Nets would be another smack in this heavily lopsided rivalry.

Other teams are in the mix for the former All-Star, including the Heat and Cavaliers, but being close to home and near his family is a high priority for him. Thus, the Nets and Knicks are high on Houston's list.

Houston is said to be considering all offers. Although money wouldn't seem to be a factor since Houston earned $100 million from the Knicks, he could choose to show loyalty to his former team and organization.

If winning is a major objective, Houston probably would choose one of the other teams, including the Nets, over the Knicks. Houston has a good relationship with Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, and many players might choose to play with Kidd over Stephon Marbury anyway.

I have always loved Allan Houston, but im nout sure this is the right move. He had some difficulty many years back with movement (of course the knees were bad), but age also will have slowed him down. Defensively he will be a liabilty. I dont know if it is thee right trade off. Plus if he is a flop, the medai and press would be bad.

I dont know how Knicks fans can be huge fans of Houston considering this man put us in a huge cap mess. Instead of being able to go for big names, we were stuck with his overpaid mediocre game. Having Allan Houston as the best player in NY is pretty terrible considering this is the biggest market in all of sports. Please dont give me any of this "he led us to the finals..." crap, because we all know that was a fluke and the team had no legit chance at winning the championship with HOUSTON as the best player on the team. SOrry, but the truth hurts.

anyway, signing him would only be worth it if he was gotten at realllllll cheap, which frankly, he owes to the organization that made him the most overpaid ever (well after jerome james of course). the most this man will be able to do is come in and possibly knock down an occasional three while letting quicker, more athletic guards glide past him on the defensive end.

In the end, its not worth it. Let NJ overpay for him and give up easy baskets to us thanks to him being on the floor.

NYKnicks15

Starter
like i said in the NJ wants Allan post. We need to get H20 back on this team. despite personal feelings. his injuries. his huge old contract. he is a great guy to be around. and i know that doesnt mean much in basketball but when you have the youth and talent like we do.. we need ppl like Malik Rose and Allan Houston on this squad to motivate us and keep us in line. I know its sad that we need veterans to motivate us. but WE DO. so we need to deal with that.

This will make a lot of ppl more expandable. Including Q, JC, Dickau, Jones, Nate, and a few ppl at SF. If a deal were to occur for Artest we have more options.

And I know we might not need Houston to play but if we make a trade using a SG well have Allan to backup with Nichols getting a lot more playing time. and that is a huge plus.

Trade Q or JC with Jeffries and Dickau throw in a pick for Artest and KThomas.

Curry/Morris/James
Randolph/Lee/Rose
Artest/Balkman/Chandler
JC/Houston/Nichols
Marbury/Nate/Collins

and if his knees dont hold up? so be it. we have Nichols and we just got Artest (or whoever this helps us get) in the process

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I hope he still has it in him to keep up with all the young guys out there in the league. Allan Houston just needs his number back #20 if he and his agent decide to go with the Knicks!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Houston was a slow terrible defender in his prime...why in the world would we want him now? The Knicks have plenty of offense, its our perimeter D that we are deficient in. This is exactly what Houston is weak in. In addition any playing time that he would see will come at the expense of our rookies and Balkman.

The only upside to this signing is he may help Nichols with perfecting his shot by practicing with him.

If Allen Houston wants to play for the Knicks he should play for free for all the money he has stolen from us in the past years. I don't think that we should sign him because he would just be stealing again this time stealing valuble play time for our young guys instead of stealing money from our Orginazation. If we want insurance at SG and are not worried about defence at the spot why not ask Reggie Miller I know Bosten couldn't talk him into it but we have the big stage, the Garden( and we all know Reggie likes the garden rims) Signing Houston is a bad idea and I hope we don't do it.

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
We Better Not Sign Him

:barf:ARE THE KNICKS CRAZY WE HAVE MORE THEN ENOUGH GUARDS THAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE WE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING ANOTHER ONE ESPECIALLY H2O. SO WHAT NOW WE DONT SIGN NICKLES OMG I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE FRONT OFFICE. AND YEAH THE ONLY WAY I SAY SIGN HIM IS IF WE GET HIM FOR FREE AND WE MAKE HIM WATER BOY OR HELPS SOME OF THE OTHER GUARDS WITH THERE JUMP SHOT YEAH HE CAN BE A SHOOTING COACH :barf::barf::barf::barf:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
:barf:ARE THE KNICKS CRAZY WE HAVE MORE THEN ENOUGH GUARDS THAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE WE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING ANOTHER ONE ESPECIALLY H2O. SO WHAT NOW WE DONT SIGN NICKLES OMG I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE FRONT OFFICE. AND YEAH THE ONLY WAY I SAY SIGN HIM IS IF WE GET HIM FOR FREE AND WE MAKE HIM WATER BOY OR HELPS SOME OF THE OTHER GUARDS WITH THERE JUMP SHOT YEAH HE CAN BE A SHOOTING COACH :barf::barf::barf::barf:

its probably more james dolan more than anybody wanting allan houston here, i personally dont want em here

Kiyaman

Legend
like i said in the NJ wants Allan post. We need to get H20 back on this team. despite personal feelings. his injuries. his huge old contract. he is a great guy to be around. and i know that doesnt mean much in basketball but when you have the youth and talent like we do.. we need ppl like Malik Rose and Allan Houston on this squad to motivate us and keep us in line. I know its sad that we need veterans to motivate us. but WE DO. so we need to deal with that.

The Knicks are in dieing need for another Player (Allan Houston) with Playoff experience that has veteran leadership for the youth players in Practice and the Lockerroom. Allan Houston would be the right player to have around and mold Nate, Collins, and Nichols into stepping-up their talent.
However ..... I dont see Allan Houston helping Isiah Thomas keep his job in New York after all the public humiliation Isiah did to him.

However, league sources said the Knicks might offer Houston part of their midlevel exception, and could clear some roster space to make room for him. They have 17 players under contract, including three shooting guards.
Houston is a favorite of Knicks owner Jim Dolan, so it could be he wants his former franchise player back.
It's also possible that with all the negative publicity the Knicks and Madison Square Garden are getting from the Isiah Thomas sexual harassment trial, they might want some good PR.

If this Harrasement case of Isiah Thomas gets him Fired or suspended for a season, and Herb Williams take over as Coach then I see Allan Houston signing on as a Knick for a one year contract. On the strength of Owner Dolan.

Losing Houston to the Nets would be another smack in this heavily lopsided rivalry.
Other teams are in the mix for the former All-Star, including the Heat and Cavaliers, but being close to home and near his family is a high priority for him. Thus, the Nets and Knicks are high on Houston's list.
If winning is a major objective, Houston probably would choose one of the other teams, including the Nets, over the Knicks. Houston has a good relationship with Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, and many players might choose to play with Kidd over Stephon Marbury anyway.

Allan Houston would be a Prize for the NETS comming off the Bench with Marty Williams in the backcourt to insure no injuries to Kidd & Carter during their rugged regular season (experience & youth in the backcourt).

Dwayne Wade & Shaq would have a field day with an open Allan Houston on the outside peremeter bombing 3's for just 12 to 16 MPG, in the midseason when Wade come back to grab a spot in the postseason games.

Lebron James would be a Happy Camper this season with Allan Houston Playoff experience and work ethics on the peremeter on the Cavs Roster this season. The Knicks peremeter defense went dead when 6.6 Allan Houston injury stopped him from playing, Houston does know how to stay in front of the man he is defending.

As for the Knicks, the pair of Marbury or Crawford taking over the point with all that meaningless dribbling would be to much for Allan Houston taste, so if Houston has the option to be in the Nets, or Heat, or Cavs Training Camp he would pick either of those teams ahead of the Knicks, unless Isiah Thomas is no longer apart of the Knicks organization. It's a personal thing between Isiah & Houston...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I guess the bum wants the knicks to go 0-21 for their first 21 games so Isiah can be fired to just prove a point lol. That is not a knick fan...that is an Isiah Hater...get off the man already...he has enough haters. When the season starts I want Ws...I don't care who shines. As long as my team does the shining I could care less who's in the dark...

metrocard

Legend
act_allan_houston.jpg

a REAL KNICK.

Mantovani

Rookie
I think as a realist this would not be a good move. A lot can happen in 2 years out of the game I just don't think he'd be able to get anywhere near his best again.

Whats truly a shame is how a player such as Allan Houston was treated by Isiah Thomas when he was asked to retire. Sure the guy had a bad knee, but that guy won the Knicks alot of games. He also got us past Miami with that jumper. What the H** has Isiah Thomas actually done for us? Sure Isiah was a great player, but cmon...as a coach? Patrick Ewing was another player who had constant criticism and had the weight of the world on his back. Ewing won us alot of games period. He should have never been traded and should have retired a Knick.

Allan Houston is what Basketball is about, hard work and a never give up attitude. How can anyone bad mouth the guy? Hes trying to play again, he might not make it, he might make it and he might fail, but the guy wants to try. In my opinion, he cant be any worse than the Knicks guards now. At least we know he can hit a game winning shot and can hit his free throws in the last seconds of a game (unlike the "best point guard in the league"). This post might not make sense to some, but to the ones who are sick and tired of losing seasons with no playoffs to look forward to it will make some sense. If Houston becomes a Knick again it will be a great thing for the team and for New York, especially with all the bad publicity surrounding Isiah Thomas.