My Letter to George Willis of NY Post

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Below is a letter that I wrote in response to George Willis' article on the Thomas trial. You can read it here.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09232007/sports/knicks/unfit_for_command.htm

Bad article Willis,

This is a cultural point of view. Is it as offensive for a black man to refer to another black man as a nigga or nigger as it is for a white man to refer to a black man in ether term? Of course not. You and I must have heard two different things. We must have been watching two entirely different videos. I heard Thomas say that a black man calling a black woman a bitch violates my code of conduct. I also heard him say that he did have as big of a problem with a black man using the word bitch as he does a white man. He makes the same distinction that a large part of America uses, be it the words bitch, nigger, hoe, or trailer white trash. Was this not a politically smart thing to say? Absolutely not, but it was honest. Can you honestly tell me that you have never referred to a black man as 'my nigga' or 'that nigga is crazy'? If so then may be you should hold your self to the same standards has you hold Isiah Thomas and resign from the post.

Regards,
Chris Truitt
Solid Knicks Fan and Enemy Of Bias Media.

In my spare time I right to the media when ever I come across a bias article or and article from a 'real news source' that is filled with opinion. This is why I'm forming the EOBM (Enemy of Bias Media). It's a one man army now but like Starbury I'm turning this thing into a movement. Anytime you read a bias article write these mother#$#$$ and tell them as articulate as possible how you feel.

I'm white dude (Jewish/Irish:)). I don't ever use the "N" word, not because I'm a little guy because I'm not but because its a degradeing term and it should be dropped from the english dictinary. Why use it in any context? Shouldn't it be my brother instead of my "N".(I do however use the words bitch and trailer trash though:))

metrocard

Legend
I used that slang a million times a day growing up. Blacks, Ricans, Hatians, Hondurans called me that, you used it when telling a story or anything in general, it was part of the culture so I just grew up with it. But now maturing, I realize its not the proper word to use, like using dirty Puerto Rican slang at a meeting with everyone who speaks proper Spanish.

Anyway, Isiah is too old to be calling women bitches. Thats a classless immature childish and disrespect thing to say. Isiah is getting all the heat he deserves, plus more. George Willis is probably laughing hysterically as he reads Don's cries for Isiah.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Anytime you read a bias article write these mother#$#$$ and tell them as articulate as possible how you feel.

I hear you on that.
I was reading an article on Newsday about 11pm last night that was just posted and I had also read a similar article from the NY times about the same incident - Decker's testimony.

Newsday was trying to twist the shit around - so as the first commenter on the article - I told him there's a reason why NY times is the #1 paper for unbiased, analytical reporting in NYC. Maybe you should read their article and learn how to recreate a good story instead of fabricating one, and then I gave the link to the NY times story.
This morning I saw the Newsday article heading was different- the dude changed up the article and removed my comments :) lol
I guess my comments hit his ego pretty good :)

donchris

I've got to clear something up real quick. I am not going to war for Isiah. It's not about Thomas.

I've got to clear my name with Metro lol.

It's about the double standards people have. As a Jewish dude OriginalKnickGrandson, I'm sure you have heard a member of your own Jewish community refer to a person of Jewish faith as a 'cheap Jew' and for give me for speaking for you but, you probably didn't take it all that seriously. Since in this example a Jewish guy calls another Jewish guy cheap. But if I, a black guy said the same thing, it means something totally different. This is my point. I'm not justifying what was said. What I am saying is that words have different meanings when used by different people. This has always been the case. You guys know it and so does Willis.

For the record I do shit like this when I read something way off the wall. Call me a geek if you want but I wrote ESPN three times for their views on the Knicks and the Daily News for trashing Marbury. So it's not at all about Zek. I hope you don't just skim threw this metro.

GetRealistic

Starter
I don't see you could try to justify the actions of Isiah or Stephon Marbury. Have you read any of the testimony or the actions both of them have made in the past few years (and i'm not even talking about basketball). You may use the term "my nigga" or bitch while talking to your friends or in interpersonal situations, but no person should ever use that language in a place of business. Look at it this way. What if the defendent was your daughter, mother, or wife. Would your opinion be the same?

Also beside the those obvious points, the columnist is doing his job. It's a editorial piece which is an opinion piece. I don't see the article as biased at all. If this was the NFL with there new crackdowns on behavior both Thomas and Marbury would recieve stiff pentalities along witht he pentalty Thomas and MSG will recieve if in fact they lose this case.

And on your point about complaining about how the media trashes the Knicks play and Marbury. Do they really have a reason not to bash the Knicks? Have you been watching in the past 5 years. I understand that your a fan and you see the bright side, but what sells newspapers? Positive articles about below 500 teams or negitive press about a team and organization that at this moment is a joke.

Lastly i highly doubt George Willis has ever used the term "ny nigga" and if he did he was probably a teenager at the time.

donchris

I don't see you could try to justify the actions of Isiah or Stephon Marbury. Have you read any of the testimony or the actions both of them have made in the past few years (and i'm not even talking about basketball). You may use the term "my nigga" or bitch while talking to your friends or in interpersonal situations, but no person should ever use that language in a place of business. Look at it this way. What if the defendent was your daughter, mother, or wife. Would your opinion be the same?

Also beside the those obvious points, the columnist is doing his job. It's a editorial piece which is an opinion piece. I don't see the article as biased at all. If this was the NFL with there new crackdowns on behavior both Thomas and Marbury would recieve stiff pentalities along witht he pentalty Thomas and MSG will recieve if in fact they lose this case.

And on your point about complaining about how the media trashes the Knicks play and Marbury. Do they really have a reason not to bash the Knicks? Have you been watching in the past 5 years. I understand that your a fan and you see the bright side, but what sells newspapers? Positive articles about below 500 teams or negitive press about a team and organization that at this moment is a joke.

Lastly i highly doubt George Willis has ever used the term "ny nigga" and if he did he was probably a teenager at the time.

The last time I checked nether Marbury or Thomas admitted any guilt in the charges that were filed against them. Until they do so they are innocent until proven guilty.

It's not about whats appropriate and what's not. Clearly all words mentioned are not appropriate for business. This issue at hand is the position of Willis, which is Thomas is unfit to lead, not because of his performance as GM/Coach but because Thomas stated he feels stronger when certain people use certain words than others. The N word is a perfect example of this.

I personally know people that do not use the word, my self for the most part, but if they hear the word from a black person, not a big deal. Now let them hear this from a white person, all hell will break lose. Why is this? If the word is bad it's bad for every one right? Wrong. Even though the use of the word is considered a no no by most people, it's held to a different standard when different people use it. This is how I perceived Thoams's words as do many black women that I spoke to about it.

Bottom line, what Thomas said was honest but stupid. Stupid because he should have known the media would twist it and have a field day with it.