David Lee New Dimension

Kiyaman

Legend
:update:
Lee also showed a new dimension to his game, repeatedly driving the ball at defenders and drawing fouls. He went 8 for 9 from the free-throw line, both team highs.
:agreed:

Every Season David Lee adds some new athletic talent to his performance to make this Knick Team a better team.
:beer:
There is not one good reason why David Lee is not the Knicks Starting PF.

Zach Randolph is good and everything but he is not the complimentary co-existing player as David Lee.
It is not hard to see where Balkman & Chandler get their hard hustle around the ball from when you watch their Teammate David Lee in action. Whom they ran some great impressive scrimmage games throughout this offseason (Collins, Nate, Nicholes, Chandler, Balkman, Q.Rich, Lee, and Morris). It was so impressive that even Marbury & Crawford had to show up at a couple of scrimmage games and get down with the young players.

When you mention Lee, Balkman, and Q.Rich, you are talking about the Knicks best three co-existing chemistry players together in the frontcourt.

So when you add Curry with "David Lee & Q.Richardson" you have explosiveness.
When you add Zach with "David Lee & Q.Richardson" you add another explosiveness.
When you add Balkman with "David Lee & Q.Richardson" you add a small lineup that is running an explosive fastbreak 70% of the time.
Q.Richardson has showed to be the Leadership Player in the starting 5 lineup and David Lee has accepted that early last season when they started together.
:gony:

GetRealistic

Starter
As much as everybody loves David Lee (including me). The reason Randolph is and will start are easy.

#1 The money. Guys who make that type of money start. Is it fair? No but thats how the world works.

# 2 Say what you want. But flat out Randolph is a better player. Everybody talks about how Curry and Randolph won't mix together and how potentially bad it could be. But what happens if it does work. Two potentially dominate 6'10 guys makes for one hell of a tough team to start. Sidenote just because he went to the line 9 times in a preaseason game that nobody television station covered doesn't mean he's become a driving machine.

# 3 David Lee is the protypical 6th man. He hustles, he defends, he does the little things. He's a good 6th man people. Plus with foul trouble, injuries, players having off nights hes going to play a good 25-30 mins anyway.

If you want an energy in your starting lineup i'd be more into the idea of starting Balkman at the 3 when he gets back healthy. Then you can move Q to the Shooting guard and have JC off the bench where he shined at times last season.

Although I agree with most of your statements I would also say that Lee and the Knicks will be better served with him coming off the bench. I agree that Lee will get a lot of points driving to the basket and on foul shots resulting in him attacking the rim. People forget that Lee is ambedextrose and has great leaping ability witch makes him very good around the rim, but the fact that he has not developed a mid-range jumper is why he's better suited comming off the bench. Zack Randolf will make defences come out and play him and draw attention away from Curry and thats something Lee can't provide for us yet. I love what Lee brings to our team and I would also love to see him with the sixth-man award this year because it was all his untill the injury last year. I also belive Q is our leader and that the young kids should recive a good amount of playing time if the Knicks want to continue to get better for the future.

Kiyaman

Legend
You have to remember what David Lee did in his second Season was to show Fans the things ge was not allowed to show as a Rookie.

KnickerBlogger Despite standing only 6′9″, David Lee’s main strength is his rebounding. He combines excellent positioning, exceptional timing, good leaping ability, and a desire to capture missed shots on both ends of the floor. Not only is Lee the best rebounder on his team, but he’s one of the best in the NBA. Among players that logged 1000 or more minutes in 2007, Lee finished 5th in per minute rebounding. Compared to the other hyalophiles, Lee committed the fewest fouls and scored the most points.

Per 40 Minutes Height Tm OREB DREB TREB PF PTS
Reggie Evans 6′8″ DEN 5.5 10.8 16.3 5.1 11.5
Dikembe Mutombo 7′2″ HOU 5.1 10.1 15.1 4.8 7.1
Tyson Chandler 7′1″ NOK 5.1 9.3 14.3 3.9 10.9
Jeff Foster 6′11″ IND 5.8 8.2 14 4.6 7.4
David Lee 6′9″ NYK 4.5 9.4 13.9 3.6 14.4

Not just a one trick pony, Lee is also adept at running the floor and strong at finishing around the hoop. A natural lefty, David Lee is ambidextrous which allows him to score with either hand. Although he doesn’t possess the extra wide body that Curry or Sweetney has, Lee isn’t slender, and can shield the ball with his body. Lee shot a robust 60% eFG from the field, and is such a good free throw shooter (81.6%) that he ranked third on the team in free throw shooting percentage. As a bonus, Lee doesn’t dominate the ball on offense. The Knicks don’t need to run any plays for him, as he’s able to produce his own offense by his rebounding and his ability to move well without the ball.

As for the grade, come on, could it be any grade BUT an A? Dude was a legitimate contender for the All-Star team in his second season!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Get off of D. Lee! He is your favorite player...we understand that. We all love David Lee. But starting him is not likely to produce wins. You put our only spark (since balkman is hurt) off the bench in the starting lineup...real smart. Isiah is doing the right thing...have the vets run to start off the game and then give a change of pace with some young, fresh legs. You can't go wrong with that. By the way...Chandler and Balkman had incredible work ethics before they arrived to NYK...so keep those silly assumptions about David Lee making the these guys work harder in the garbage can. Your assumptions are killing your points...I'm just keeping it real with you.

Kiyaman

Legend
Get off of D. Lee! He is your favorite player...we understand that. We all love David Lee. But starting him is not likely to produce wins. You put our only spark (since balkman is hurt) off the bench in the starting lineup...real smart. Isiah is doing the right thing...have the vets run to start off the game and then give a change of pace with some young, fresh legs. You can't go wrong with that. By the way...Chandler and Balkman had incredible work ethics before they arrived to NYK...so keep those silly assumptions about David Lee making the these guys work harder in the garbage can. Your assumptions are killing your points...I'm just keeping it real with you.

The one and only, You are aight!
And I understand what you are saying.

But I recall something that my second H.S. Coach taught me when they transfered me from one school to play for the next school, he said, "If you want to make this team you have to play at the same tempo as your new teammates, so sit on the bench this practice and just watch. Tommorow you will have another chance to make this team.". At that time in my life I did not know I only had a one dimensional game, inwhich my ex-coach did not care whether I stayed or go. And I see alot of that in the NBA.

So my assumptions have creditbility, especially when it comes to the Knicks complimentary player David Lee on how he knows how to switch Tempo with all his Teammates (Marbury & Crawford Halfcourt game to Nate & Crawford fast running game).

I also learned from watching the NBA that the teams that have 5-Starters inwhich can adjust their performance to meet up equally with the different opositions night after night in the regular season stays at the .500 mark or above it.
The NBA is not about the best players on the team, it's about the 5-best co-existing players on the team. Co-existing players are not just offense they are players that play both offense & defense on both ends of the court, it's called "Chemistry" inwhich the Knicks been lacking with two many offensive players on the court at the same time...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
You have said that the magic word my friend...chemistry and injuries have been our problems all along...not Marbury, Curry, or any other players that other people have their disliking towards. I agree with you on that point. And I realize it takes more than talent just to win games. Spurs, Pistons, and the Heat had more than talent...they were like a Bernard Hopkins if you will. They molded their defense and offense around their opposition. So I agree with you on those points yet I still know for a fact that Balkman and Chandler had a beast work ethic before becoming a knick...every teammate should make their other teammates better and I'm sure everybody on the knicks are getting better by just playing with each other...simply put

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
As much as everybody loves David Lee (including me). The reason Randolph is and will start are easy.

#1 The money. Guys who make that type of money start. Is it fair? No but thats how the world works.

# 2 Say what you want. But flat out Randolph is a better player. Everybody talks about how Curry and Randolph won't mix together and how potentially bad it could be. But what happens if it does work. Two potentially dominate 6'10 guys makes for one hell of a tough team to start. Sidenote just because he went to the line 9 times in a preaseason game that nobody television station covered doesn't mean he's become a driving machine.

# 3 David Lee is the protypical 6th man. He hustles, he defends, he does the little things. He's a good 6th man people. Plus with foul trouble, injuries, players having off nights hes going to play a good 25-30 mins anyway.

If you want an energy in your starting lineup i'd be more into the idea of starting Balkman at the 3 when he gets back healthy. Then you can move Q to the Shooting guard and have JC off the bench where he shined at times last season.

you mirror my feelings exactly...randolph will start and if somehow he is horrible im sure isiah will bench him for a game but when you swing a big trade like that its cause he's gonna start. and kiyaman, obviously lee covers up more on defense but his offense is still limited and he doesnt stretch the court like randolph can. he is a great shooter who can stretch from the free throw line all the way to the three point line. plus, since randolph and curry are so foul-prone (on offense or defense), one of them will be subbed out pretty quickly i think, so even though lee isnt starting i think between subbing him in at c and pf (and maybe sf if we go big), hell get starters minutes (25-35).

jzero29

Rotation player
David lee is a stud.

David lee is a great young player, with nothing but upside. Zach, is a little better offensively, and also is a stud rebounder. I think this makes for a great rotation of talent, having lee off the bench to give, randolph or curry, a break. There is virtually no drop off in production. It's early to say he's become a consitent scorer, but he'll get his points.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I just want too ask this question. How many 20ft shots has Lee made or attempted? Cause Randolph's made like 5. He (Randolph) will stretch a defense. Lee will always be on clean up crew down low in the box. To me that shows nothing new in Lee's repetoire.

Last edited:

TJ.

Rookie
If Lee continues to develop and work on his jumpshot and defense I can actually see him taking up the Small Forward spot apposed to the Power Forward position. If you recall in his rookie season, Brown played him at Small Forward for a couple of games and he was rather effective there. With the condition of Q-Rich's back never really 100% he could be a useful tool if he works on his game to play at that position. Balkman is another alternative to the Small Forward position, but he isn't all THAT reliable as he is still adjusting to the NBA fouls which usually put him in a bit of trouble if he doesn't pace himself. Lee is a consistant player who you can always bank on for a 10/10 performance. That being said, I would still have Lee coming off the bench for the Knicks because he is a player that automatically gives the team a much needed lift whenever he steps out onto the court, like GetRealistic said, he is the perfect 6th man.

If Lee and Z-Bo are both competiting for decent to equal minutes this will affect the team as some of its best players are not being used to their full potential.

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Lol

I love DLee too but we need him to come of the bench zack will slow them down and since the starting 5 are based on a half court game zack fits in with that style. I dont know why people are saying he wont fit in he has a jumper which is what we were all loving frye for but he can pound the boards and take it inside like a monster. So why wont zack fit in but people thought Frye was the second coming i dont understand this. he is the perfect fit for curry cause 1 he has a lefty and 2 he can take 2,3 or even 4 to 5 steps back from the paint and hit that jumper with ease come one they wont clog the whole cause zack dont need to be in it. Lee needs to come of the bench and be the fire of the bench leading the way especially with Balkman out.

metrocard

Legend
Lee is so much more important to this team than Randolph and Curry, the biggest nightmare for me would be trading Lee; something Isiah is very capable of doing.

Lee started catching the ball in the post and backin his man down the difference is this year he looked in control. He also hit a 15 ft after a whistle which don't mean shit but I've never seen from him before

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
its simple, david lee is just amazing. if he didnt get hurt last year knicks would of made the playoffs. looking forward to see lee this season

TJ.

Rookie
I wouldn't say that Lee is amazing. No doubt he is perfect at what he does which is giving the team a lift off the bench and hustling and doing the work which most people avoid, but he isn't an amazing player yet. His defense could use some work. Just because he is a rebound machine doesn't mean he is a good defender. However, in a couple of years Lee will be one of the top hustle players in the entire league. If he can develop a good jumpshot he'd easily be the Knicks most valuable player on their current roster.

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Lee is good

I love Lees game but we need him to come of the bench please we really need him of the bench for so many reasons he will be in at pf and C every game hes the man he will get his minutes so it is what it is. 2 you cant put him in at the 3 he is too slow but at pf and c hes the man

Kiyaman

Legend
Lee is so much more important to this team than Randolph and Curry, the biggest nightmare for me would be trading Lee; something Isiah is very capable of doing.

WOW! out of all the writing I wrote on David Lee, Metrocard, said it best in just a few lines:

With energy "Taz" Balkman injured and out it is best that David Lee come off the bench alongside Nate & Collins (I would rather see Rookie SF-Chandler or Malik alongside of Nate, Collins, and Lee, rather than SF-Jefferies and Fred Jones in the 2nd unit.).

metrocard

Legend
Lee is also very capable of developing a post game. I saw a lot of flashes in the 06-07 season. Lee is a strong quick agile man who can work around the painted area. Lee shoots 80% from the FT also, and has the ability to shoot the 15 jumper(Kurt Thomas), give it time.

Lee and Balkman are the two most important players on this roster, and they were late round 1st rounders...who were not even projected to go in the first round because they weren't "talented" enough, undersized rebounders/etc just athletes. They're value is high because of how much they bring to the table, taking leadership on the court, command and complete control of the tempo, dominating the boards, playing defense, making passes, setting screens...etc. These guys do it all. If we play them under 30 minutes a game, expect another losing season.