Ewing's Number to be Retired

allan20

Benchwarmer
some of his major events of his 17 years career:

-In 1984 and '92 he won the Olympic gold medals with team USA.

-Rookie of the year 1985-86.

-28 points, 15 rebounds and a career high 11 assists against Hornets in 1996, april 19

-He played at Knicks for coaches like Hubie Brown, Bob Hill, Rick Pitino, Stu Jackson, John MacLeod, Pat Riley, Don Nelson and Jeff Van Gundy.

-He is the team's all-time leader in games (1,039), points (23,665), minutes (37,586), field goals made (9,260), field goals attempted (18,224), free throws made (5,126), free throws attempted (6,904), rebounds (10,759), steals (1,061) and blocks (2,758).

-11 All Star appearances

-From 1997-00 due to injuries, he missed 88 games

-135 Career playoff games.

-2,347 -- Points he scored in the 1989-90 season, the Knicks' single-season high. He holds seven of the team's top 11 season marks.

-2,758 -- Career blocks by Ewing, fourth on the all-time list. Only Olajuwon (3,652), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (3,189) and Mark Eaton (3,064) have more.

-26,800 -- Combined points scored by Walt Frazier and Willis Reed with the Knicks, which ranks second and third on the franchise's all-time list. Ewing scored 23,665 himself.

Number 33 will always remain in my heart!
Good luck Pat!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
yes, i allready tought about that
in a week or so it will be done i hope

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/30714.htm
LJ's absence should not be taken as an insult to Ewing. LJ has repeatedly blown off the Knicks since his career ended abruptly in a contract buyout before last season - and brass is mystified, even a little crushed.
Johnson has no ill will toward the team for which he served as emotional leader from 1996 to 2001, the organization contends. In fact, The Post has learned that when Knicks brass offered to plan an elaborate "LJ Farewell Night" last season, the former co-captain (with Ewing) declined the offer.

what's going on with LJ? havn't hear anything bout him for long time
why is he so grumpy ??? :?:

Swifftey

Benchwarmer
New articles on the post!
February 24, 2003 -- SACRAMENTO - Not only were most of Patrick Ewing's prominent Knick teammates, his past Knick coaches and Knick GMs invited for his jersey retirement ceremony Friday night, but so were Ewing's compadres on the 1992 "Dream Team" that stormed Barcelona, The Post has learned.
Larry Bird, Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, Chris Mullin and Magic Johnson represent the retirees from the Olympic Dream Team that struck gold with an 8-0 record. The still-active players are David Robinson, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Christian Laettner. Chuck Daly was the coach. The Jazz and Blazers have games scheduled that night, so Stockton, Malone and Pippen can't be there.

The RSVP date was last Wednesday, but the Knicks management still has not released a final guest list. The Knicks were still trying to find the whereabouts of Ken Bannister, who only played with Ewing in his rookie year 1985-86. "But he really became close to ' The Animal,' " said Knick assistant Herb Williams, Ewing's best friend.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/55168.htm

February 24, 2003 --
Magic coach Doc Rivers wishes Patrick Ewing had let New Yorkers see his real side. To the average Knick fan, Ewing was a surly, uncommunicative brute with the emotions and feelings of a lump of coal. Rivers insists that just wasn't the case.

"It's a shame people didn't know him. He closed up to everybody, except for his teammates and his coaches, and that's a shame. He is a funny guy, he has a great personality," claimed Rivers, who will be at the Garden with the Magic Friday to honor his former teammate when the Knicks retire Ewing's uniform No. 33. "He's stubborn as hell, too, but he's just funny. He's one of those guys, when you're around him, you laugh."

Rivers was Ewing's Knick teammate for 21/2 seasons before being released and signing with San Antonio. He predicted Ewing, whom he labeled "one of or if not the greatest Knick to ever put on a uniform," will be very emotional Friday. Rivers believes New Yorkers never warmed to Ewing because of the "Hoya Destroya" image and because Ewing never delivered a title. Blame lack of help. And blame Da Bulls.

"I think he absolutely needed a better supporting cast," Rivers said. "But, also, what a horrible time to be born. He had to play against the great Bulls."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/55183.htm

Irv

Rookie
Does anybody here live in the NY area where they can get MSG Network? While I'm going to record it on ESPN, I think that MSG will give far better coverage for the event.

No matter what anybody can say about Ewing, he was the reason why the lights were on at Madison Square Garden in May. He gave the team hope and he always left everything he had on the court. It's too bad that he never had the supporting cast needed to win a championship.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, i like that pic too
bout the game, i have a quite interesting storyfrom somebody who actually was at the game
Finally, Patrick made his way to the podium. The Garden fans would not stay quite. Patrick spoke for just under 6 minutes, and could not stop thanking all of those who helped him along the way. The Garden was rocking. Patrick didn't cry, but at the same time he didn't hide his emotions. A new side of Patrick was displayed to New York. This side is what all of his friends and teammates have been describing for so many years. At first, he seemed nervous. However, he soon gained his confidence. At one point, it seemed like Patrick would not stop talking. His speech was emotional and highlighted what a great person he is.
www.nykfan.8k.com/jay/jay3.html