analysing the randolph trade

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
It has been 13 games long enough to know whether we won or lost this trade.

Knicks trade

Steve Francis (bought out)
Channing Frye - 6.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 0.9 assists expected to earn about 12 million for three years

Portland trade

Dan Dickau (gone)
Fred Jones - 4 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists. 3.3 million for 1 year
Zach Randolph - 18.6 points, 12.5 rebounds, 1.2 assists 60 million over 4 years

Zach Randolph is obviously doing the best out of the trade. I feel he is a better version of eddy curry - one that rebounds. I feel Isiah actually did well on this trade, by getting rid of francis.

thoughts/

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It has been 13 games long enough to know whether we won or lost this trade.

Knicks trade

Steve Francis (bought out)
Channing Frye - 6.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 0.9 assists expected to earn about 12 million for three years

Portland trade

Dan Dickau (gone)
Fred Jones - 4 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists. 3.3 million for 1 year
Zach Randolph - 18.6 points, 12.5 rebounds, 1.2 assists 60 million over 4 years

Zach Randolph is obviously doing the best out of the trade. I feel he is a better version of eddy curry - one that rebounds. I feel Isiah actually did well on this trade, by getting rid of francis.

thoughts/

I agree 100% but it's not going to play out that way. There are a lot of people that believe that although Larry Brown wanted Francis in NY Thomas cosigned on it, which makes the Francis trade Thomas' fault. So by trading Francis for Randolph Thomas was cleaning up the mess he created. Because of this point of view, Thomas wont be credited as a mastermind or anything.

Randolph is a beast and his numbers may take a slight dive, but they should because he's with a better team with better scoring players. I'd be happy with Curry if he played consistent defense, got a few blocks here and there and averaged 17-18 pts a game. That's all we really need from him since Randolph/Crawford/Richardson can score from any where on the floor. We just need consistent afford on defense.

We definitly got the best of this trade, but you can't say that Zack is a Better version of Eddy... well you can say it I just don't think its true. True Zack is a better rebounder than Eddy but thats only because Eddy is to concerned about getting back down to the other side of the court to get set up for offence(big surprise right) That is really the only stat that Zack is definitly better then Eddy in. Eddy at least will pass out of a double or tripple team, He can also body up with the bigs in this leage with his size and strength. Zack has a more advanced offencive game then Eddy(out side 10') but they both look like crap at the other end of the court at least Eddy is showing flashes that he wants to become a better defender. I can name a dozen PF's that I would want more on the Knicks team better then Zack(Sheed,Duncun,Brand,Garrnet,Boozer,Dirk,Marion,Al Jefferson,Wilcox ect.) how many Centers in the leage can you truley say you would want in front of Eddy(Howard,Yao,Wallace,Oakafor,Stodimire...?). I bet you come up with more PF's as well if you think about it.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
We definitly got the best of this trade, but you can't say that Zack is a Better version of Eddy... well you can say it I just don't think its true. True Zack is a better rebounder than Eddy but thats only because Eddy is to concerned about getting back down to the other side of the court to get set up for offence(big surprise right) That is really the only stat that Zack is definitly better then Eddy in. Eddy at least will pass out of a double or tripple team, He can also body up with the bigs in this leage with his size and strength. Zack has a more advanced offencive game then Eddy(out side 10') but they both look like crap at the other end of the court at least Eddy is showing flashes that he wants to become a better defender. I can name a dozen PF's that I would want more on the Knicks team better then Zack(Sheed,Duncun,Brand,Garrnet,Boozer,Dirk,Marion,Al Jefferson,Wilcox ect.) how many Centers in the leage can you truley say you would want in front of Eddy(Howard,Yao,Wallace,Oakafor,Stodimire...?). I bet you come up with more PF's as well if you think about it.

yeh all the what-ifs.

You touched on what i meant by an improved version of eddy.

Eddy and Zbo both arent great defenders, but love offense. Does Eddy really pass more than Zbo out of double teams? they both seem to just hold it.

I think the knicks benefit alot out of the 12.4 rebounds from Zbo, but both should be averaging at least a block by now.

With the analyse of centres. I would also prefer

Horford, Gasol, Wallace (not in his current form), Blatche, Camby, Bogut, Aldridge, Okur, Biedrins, Dalembert, Chandler, Ilgauskas, Kaman, and Bynum.

But thats just me

jzero29

Rotation player
Randolph solid, but Turnover prone.

Knicks made out in trade. I like frye, but he's not the stud Zach is. Francis was terrible. I won't say zach is better then curry all around, curry has really cut down on turnovers and is scoring almost at will. He's good. Just the defense, which we've see glimpses of. Does need to rebound. This team would turn a corner if he played good defense all the time. The other big step is figuring out how to get crawford and marbury to perform well together.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
zach's defense is not that bad, he's usually in good position, he just not a shot blocker, eddy is a different story

paris401

Starter
the trade really is zach for frye.... as francis was/still is useless...

no question we got the better of the deal... all it cost us was an add. 2 years + 30m for zach's contract...

zach for frye and getting rid of the franchise... sounds like a steal to me... good trade IT.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
zach's defense is not that bad, he's usually in good position, he just not a shot blocker, eddy is a different story

YOu have spoken datruth. Thats the best way to describe the difference between Eddy and Zach defensively. Zach does know how to get better positioning and he keeps his body between the player hes defending and the basket.

I gotta give Isiah credit with this trade, Channing Frye hasnt done shit since the first half of his rookie season. I wish Zach would cut back on the turnovers and consistently hustle back on defense but other then that hes an all star. I was upset at first because i didnt want to see Lees minutes get cut back. Although Z-Bo cant really get off the ground hes a great rebounder like Lee but he can score. We all know Lee cant hit an open shot. I also thought Lee was better on defense then Zach, but I was wrong again. Z-Bo knows how to play very good defense when he wants to, hes got good hands and reflexes.

TheKnicks3 would you really prefer all those Centers to Curry? The ones I saw on your list that I would consider(like I have the choice) would be Camby can't belive I forgot him, Aldredge up and comming, Chandler who I thaught we should have gotten instead of Curry from the Bulls and then you can maby through Kamin in there, but the rest of the Centers you listed can't compair in talent with Curry... I said talent not effort! (they all might give more effort!)

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think Curry and Zach have a similar game; Zach grabs more rebounds. That's why they are a bad mix when they are on the court at the same. If you notice, when Lee is on the court with either of these guys, there is a different flow to the game. Curry should confine his game to taking control in the paint, shutting down his man and positioning himself to grab rebounds (offensive and defensive). When Zach is on the court with him, Curry should be the 3rd or 4th option on offense. He should be getting his points from put backs and dunks (like O'Neil). The last thing the Knicks need is a 300 pound finesse player! If that is going to be his game and Zach is here to stay, the Knicks should look into using him in a key trade.

jzero29

Rotation player
Curry 3rd 4th option? huh?

R you kidding? curry has been an offensive machine, has turned it over much less then zach and converts more shots to points. I also think they aren't as bad as you think together. Curry and zach should be #1 and 2. The hotter hand getting the ball more. Please don't tell me you'd rather crawford be infront of curry? So how would you order your offensive options.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think your givin Curry too much credit but other than that I agree with everything else. When curry gets good positioning, hes unstoppable. Zach sometimes looks to shoot too much and turns the ball over. When hes on though, he needs to get the ball almost everytime. When he lost his grandma, it effected his play but it seems like hes comin back after the 25 points and 14 rebounds he got against the Jazz. Between his smooth jumper and post game, Hes a very tough player to defend. They should be the #1 and #2 options night after night. Crawford should be benched until he starts playin defense.

Andominus

Rookie
Zach Randolph is the most selfish player I have ever seen. Yea it's bearable when it's going well, but it's just so glaring when he sucks it up (like tonight vs Boston). I have never seen him pass the ball out of a double/triple team, even though you can see starbury, crawford, and qs arms all raised cuz they're open. i swear he makes eddy curry seem like john stockton in the post

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer
amen also, zach's a straight up ballhog. like you said andorminus, it's bearable when it's going well but he doesn't pass at all. i'm sickened by it. curry doesn't pass either. two walking black holes...