New York - Dallas Game Thread

NYK Man8

Benchwarmer
NYK Startline:

Forward
#40 Kurt Thomas
Averaging 11.6 points (third on team), a team leading 9.1 rebounds (17th in NBA) and 33.2 minutes in 37 games... has scored 10-plus points 26 times and 20-plus once, including a season-high 28 on Jan. 10 vs. Milwaukee... has recorded 10-plus rebounds 16 times, including a season-high 19 on Nov. 5 vs. Milwaukee... recorded a team-leading 13 point-rebound double-doubles... has led the team in scoring three times and rebounding 18 times.

Forward
#2 Keith Van Horn
Averaging 16.6 points (second on team), 7.3 rebounds (second on team) and 34.6 minutes in 32 starts... over last 11 games, averaging 20.5 points, on 52.9-percent shooting (82-155), and 8.1 rebounds... has scored at least 20 points in eight of the last 11 games and has led the team in scoring in nine of 11... played only 22 minutes on Saturday vs. Milwaukee due to a right patella bone bruise.

Center
#55 Dikembe Mutombo
Averaging 6.5 points, 7.1 rebounds (third on team), 2.03 blocks (13th in NBA) and 25.9 minutes in 38 starts... on NBA's all-time blocked shots list, ranks fifth with 2,950 rejections... needs just five to pass David Robinson at No. 4... only Knicks player to start in all 38 games... over the last seven games, averaging 8.4 rebounds and 6.29 blocks.

Guard
#20 Allan Houston
Averaging a team-leading 20.0 points in 32 starts... has hit 54-of-136 three-point attempts (39.7) and leads NBA in free throw percentage at 92.1 (117-127)... leads team in minutes played (37.5).

Guard
#3 Stephon Marbury
Averaging 9.3 points, 9.7 assists and 36.3 minutes in three games for the Knicks... made Knicks debut on Jan. 6 at Cleveland to record eight points and eight rebounds in 29 minutes... in 37 games on the season, averaging 19.9 points (15th in NBA), 8.4 assists (second in NBA) and 41.2 minutes (second in NBA)... averaging 1.81 steals (11th in NBA).

NBA.com Preview
The New York Knicks hope to build on their first win with new point guard Stephon Marbury as they host the Dallas Mavericks on Monday night.

Marbury, Brooklyn native, was acquired with Penny Hardaway in last Monday's blockbuster eight-player trade with Phoenix. After the Knicks struggled with their new point guard in Thursday's blowout loss to Houston, Marbury collected 14 points and 11 assists Saturday as New York ended a four-game losing streak with a 94-88 triumph over Milwaukee.

"It was a great feeling. It was everything I imagined," Marbury said after Saturday's game. "It was just like I saw when I grew up here and played here (in high school). It was just a great atmosphere here tonight. To have this kind of atmosphere here every night is unbelievable to basketball. The electricity is back."

Kurt Thomas recorded a season-high 28 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks and Allan Houston added 26 points for the Knicks, who are 5-5 since Isiah Thomas became team president on December 22.

Dallas has dropped three of four games and fell to 4-13 on the road with Sunday's 115-102 loss at Detroit. Steve Nash paced the Mavericks with 18 points and 10 assists, but it wasn't enough as they allowed the Pistons to shoot 51 percent (40-of-78) and fell to 14-8 when scoring at least 100 points.

The Mavericks are six losses shy of their total from last season and were 31-5 through 36 games a year ago.

New York is 16-6 at home vs. Dallas. Last season, the Mavericks snapped a 10-game losing streak here with a 101-90 victory last January 24 as Dirk Nowitzki scored 30 points.

Monday marks the second time in three games that the Knicks are facing a former coach. Don Nelson guided New York to a 34-25 record for part of the 1995-96 season before being replaced by Jeff Van Gundy.

I'm predicting a win this game, by at least 6 points. It will be tough, but i do believe with all my heart this is a winable one. Plus that chaney will HAVE to win it if he's considering to keep his job

Bruno

Benchwarmer
i thing that knicks have a good change to win because dallas lose in the lasts games and walker really dont play good and if murbary play like he was playing in the suns uni. you will win the game .

rady

Administrator
Staff member
ok, so how long till chaney gets fired???
a sunshine in daily news - isiah said that don might not finish the season as our headcoach. what is he waiting for, only he knows
http://www.knicksonline.com/site/re.../basketball/knicks/story/154442p-135851c.html

the sooner he's off, the better.
on the other hand, even though the game was a disaster, i remained shocked (in a good way) by penny's prestation - 19 points and 7 rebounds in 47 minutes. i believe he is about to win a start line spot, especially since keith is injured.

what i don't get is why mutt gets so little time?

Game Recap