Which Knick has been the biggest problem so far?

Which Knick starter has been the worst so far?

• Stephon Marbury

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Jamal Crawford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quentin Richardson

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Zach Randolph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eddy Curry

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
For me its between Crawford, Curry, and Zach Randolph. As bad as Zach has been, I think i can narrow it down to Curry and Crawford. From here, its a tough choice. Crawfords defense and shooting percentages are both horrible, and he turns the ball over alot. Curry is a bad defender, rebounder, and he also turns the ball over alot. Im gonna pick Curry mainly becuz of his poor defense. Being a center, you have to use your size. Curry is blessed with every physical attribute it takes to dominate but yet hes too soft in the head. He needs to have that pitbull mentality, Aint no one takin it in on me tonight. Im gonna stop everyone, Im too big and too strong. Instead of thinkin like that, Curry only worries about offense. He is still a one dimensional player and he didnt just come into the league.

Crawford is also blessed with physical attributes that should make him a better defender and a better scorer but his problems are also in his head. Curry and Crawford are both mentally weak. I dont expect any changes, these guys are role players. They dont belong in no starting lineups unless you got a shot blocker next to Curry.

Theres some hope for Richardson. I can at least see the effort for the most part with him.

Marbury has been the best starter and the only good starter.

metrocard

Legend
Isiah's inability to understand our biggest weakness is on defense (Perimeter and in the paint) and turnovers(including the poorest turnover assist ratio and lack of assist being made). He hasn't address this issue in 3 years. Why should he stll be GM? Let go of Isiah and give the job to a GM who can answer our problems.

jzero29

Rotation player
Q-Rich aweful.

Quentin Richardson, has been absent. He hasn't really had a good game, he may be decent defender, but his shots are not falling. Maybe it's his elbow?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I dont know if its his elbow, his back surgery after last year, or sumthin else. I hope he gets better soon cuz they need someone else to step up. You dont know what to expect with everyone in the starting lineup, the only one whos been consistent the past week or 2 has been Marbury (except Boston game)

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
It is his elbow.. but he is not consistant anyway.. He is a average player and will always be an average player. The player that is the biggest problem is Marbury, Z Bo, and Crawford. Not liking that combo. Marbury is not with the right crew, making him a below average PG this year. See it helps if a PG has other players on the team with some leadership skills. Nobody has any and Marbury needs players to step up.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Tough question. Being that that whole team is a disaster take your pick. What interests me more is what the Knicks can do to get back on track. Curry needs to improve his game but right now he's our best option. Trading him for trash wont improve the team. I'd say the worse Knick right now, sadly is Marbury.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yall know Im a big Marbury fan and the only problem I have with him is that hes not vocal enough. He needs to be the one callin team meetings and talkin to the team about what is not acceptable. Hes not the best leader but I still believe he ranks last on this list. In other words, the other 4 players are bigger problems then he is. Marburys been the best player in my opinion since bein reinserted into the starting lineup. Hes been scorin and playin defense. Hes not the best assist guy but ive seen him set up his teammates and they miss easy shots. If a couple of guys could hit layups and open jumpshots hed be averaging more assists.

I give Crawford some credit for talkin to the team after the Celtics game, but Curry bein a captain is a joke. Crawford is to, but Currys an even bigger joke. At least Crawford says the right things like what he said to the fans after the Bucks game. Curry had a recent quote where he admitted that not gettin enough touches because of Zach takes him outta the game. If hes not gettin enough touches he cant cry about it. He needs to rebound and play defense. If I was Isiah I would tell Curry to forget about offense, just focus on playin defense and rebounding the next couple of games. It seems like they aint puttin the right thoughts in Currys head, he talks to much about offense. They shouldnt say shit about offense, they should be sayin the word "defense" to him 1000 times everyday.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Marbury has been the best and most consistent player for the Knicks this year. But he is the biggest "problem" for the team. Sometimes it is not all about play, but about trusting your teammates and playing well with them. Marbury has not proven that he can do that anywhere. The sooner he goes and is replaced with an adequate, pass-first, team oreinted PG the better the Knicks will be.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have been a BIG Basher of Marbury, Crawford, and Curry, altough I seen some somewhat improvements in their trying to co-exist with their teammates this season but its not enough.
So I imagined if SF-Ron Artest, SF-Richard Jefferson, or SF-Prince was Starting alongside of them, these three SF take the pressure off their Guards and Center on offense/defense, and that is what this team is lacking by giving Q.Richardson 34 MPG. Q.Rich performance helps NO one on this team this season.
On the Knicks 16th game Q.Rich finally gave out 4 assists, this is something that the average decent SF in the league average in dimes per game.
We all seen how Q.Rich has been stealing rebounds from Zach, Lee, and Curry to make it look like he is a sufficient rebounder. The Knicks got good rebounders, the team needs desperate help in scoring & passing from the SF-Position like other NBA teams have in SF-Pierce, Carmelo, Lebron, AK47, Redd, Turk, Odom, Diaw, Ginobli, and Steve Jackson.

Q.Richardson is the Knicks BIGGEST Problem in the Starting-5 lineup...

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Marbury has had some good games of late but his all around play from the begining of the season has been a bit under-whelming. I truly believed that after his season last year, he would be the leader to take the Knicks over the top. So it is for this reason, I vote for Marbury. Zach's play has been very suspect as well, though his numbers are strong, his all around play, bad shots, bad defense, bad passes, has been abysmal.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Isiah's inability to understand our biggest weakness is on defense (Perimeter and in the paint) and turnovers(including the poorest turnover assist ratio and lack of assist being made). He hasn't address this issue in 3 years. Why should he stll be GM? Let go of Isiah and give the job to a GM who can answer our problems.

I'm with you and I said in another thread that they should bring back Jeff Vangundy as the coach and hire West for the GM spot. I think they should retain Isiah as a scout for the draft, since we did give him a contract extension.
As far as who has been the biggest disappointment so far this season I would have to say Curry hands down! I would say Marbury is a close second but then again I feel he lets the team down every season so I guess he is actually consistent and delivers exactly what we expect him to give us.

Crawford - He is what he is... instant offense in spurts and that's why I feel his best roll on this team is coming off the bench and playing both the 2 and 1 spots as well as being a change of pace player. When Crawford is on the floor for long periods of time, he ends up becoming a liability but when he is used in spots, he can be very effective! No D at all, though he comes up with a steal from time to time.

QR - If his back problems are limited this season I feel QR is a solid 3 for the Knicks. He has shown he can play D when the coach and the system demands it from him. He also has shown that he can run and gun if the coach/system demands it from him. QR's performance is key for this lineup. If he has back issues all season and misses a bunch of games, the Knicks will feel it big time!

Zach - Zach is a pure isolation player that can generate high offensive numbers. While on any given night he can put up a double double (rebounds and points), he is not a good post defender. He can rebound and score but he can't body up anyone and he does not posses any lateral quickness so he can't box out in the paint either.

Curry- Curry plays lack luster ball period! His play is uninspiring and while at times he has shown that there is a blip of a defender buried within that 300 pound frame, we have only caught the slightest of glimpses and it is tiring already. The dude should have his WAY in the paint but he just does not have the killer instinct that a 6' 11" 300 pound center should have. I remember people complaining about Ewing being soft and too much of a jump shooter; Curry make Ewing look like Bill Russel on D! I think Curry is better suited for a fast paced western team. If I was the GM that's what I would focus on, trying to pull off a block buster trade sending Curry to a Western team for some position guys that the Knicks need (a STARTING perimeter defender).

Lee - Lee has shown me that he could very well be a yearly candidate for the 6th man award. His role on this team is perfectly defined and it exploits his strengths and guards against exposing his weaknesses. He can not score consistently unless it is on put backs and dunks; yet that is exactly what this team needs. Like Randolph, he has trouble bodying-up his man in the paint but he is better at it than Zach. He is, in my opinion, becoming another Charles Oakley and that is a good thing. If he can continue his strength training so that he can body-up his man, he could be one of the best players that Isiah has ever drafted.

Balkman - Like Lee he has shown that he can rebound the ball and doesn't mind the less "showy" role on the team. I feel Balkman is a better defender than Lee; more agile and versatile. He has to develop his offense, specifically a mid range jumper, so that he can keep his man on him and not doubling another player. Balkman can also play, in my opinion, 3 spots (3, 4 and 2). He is quick enough to guard the perimeter, whether a guard or small forward and he has shown that he can grind it out down in the paint when playing the 4. What he lacks in strength he makes up for in quickness and just pure will. If he can show this type of play consistently, he could make Lee expendable if needed to make a KEY trade, but it would be great if the Knicks could keep both Lee and Balkman.

Nate - I'm going to reserve my opinion right now. The jury is still out on him and I want to see how he does subbing for Marbury while he deals with the loss of his dad.

The Knicks problem is not talent it is cohesion and this team has way too many players that are 1 on 1 type guys and want to be featured. In my opinion Curry, Crawford or Marbury and Robinson should be shopped around. Lee should only be used if the trade is yielding a top notch player that also FILLS a NEED. The needs are a big man that just wants to grind and a starting perimeter defender. Artest's name is thrown around for that perimeter player and I would take a chance on him. Is he worth giving up Lee?? Yes if Lee is the only player in the trade. Like Malik rose and Lee for Artest. Who would I trade Curry for? I heard an interview with Mark Cuban a few months back saying that he loved Curry. I would see if I could stir up interest from Dallas. Maybe see what it would take to make a deal for Howard and say Dampier. If Curry and Crawford could get talks opened up. I might see if the Nets would be interested in pairing Curry with Kidd. If so would they part with RJ in that deal.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I don't quite understand why people are as down on Curry as they are based on this year's result to date. I realize and totally agree that he doesn't give 100% every night, turns the ball over too much, doesn't play great defense, doesn't rebound well for a guy his size, and looks a little sluggish out there at times.

But this is the exact same guy as last year so far.

The only reason his stats are down is because we added Zach.

Zach is getting some of the touches and shots that Curry got last year and he's also picking up a rebound here or there that Curry would have gotten if Zach wasn't on the floor because Zach is so good on the boards.

Curry is what he is.

The only valid complaint is that he didn't improve.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
actually i think its our WHOLE starting line up...not saying to trade any of them but like our line up suckz! like omg...idk this is what i think of the starting 5

EDDY CURRY
He has been a force in offense. Yes he has been jumping to reject a shot and sometimes he does or sometimes he get goaltending. But what i mean by his defense is his 1 on 1 defense. Like I seen him guard like bad centers and they still manage to score on him. I mean every time he needs help or something like idk he should be easy for him. Like he has the power all he has to do is stand like a statue and when they shoot put your hand up or block him. Always stay in front of his man and he'll be fine. Also his free trow shooting.

Zach Randolph
Zach well i really havent seen a problem with him. He just needs to inprove on his defense a lil bit more and his Free Trow shooting. Also how to pass out the double team. He just cant do it and i think they should work with that with him.

Quentin Richardson
Well what happened to the 3 point champion? I remember him being one of the best 3 point shooter in the league when he was with phoenix. Now hes wide open in the 3 point line he MISSES! Like I see him make them but like in the beginning of the game where they really don't matter. Yes he is very vocal and a leader of this team but he also needs to show it in his game. And hes defense no complaints. Also his free trow shooting.

Jamal Crawford
Well Jamal is not consistent enough. I mean he can play but one thing I don't like about him is that when he would make a 3 or something he would think hes hot and pull up 4 another shot or something. Also he gets out powered way to much like when Iguodala went inside on him Jamal tried 2 grab him but Iguodala just simply out powered him.
He needs to gain more power and muscle. Defense omg what can i say about his defense. NOTHING! Hey he mite crack people ankles but hey they can crack his back as well. I mean hey he plays so much minutes he mite as well work on his defense and learn how 2 play a lil bit of defense at least.

Stephon Marbury
Well he is like probably our best player. I see Marbury when he goes right through everyone and his quickness. I remember when he was scoring like 40 points like 4 games or something. What happened to that Marbury like omg he was the best player in the LEAGUE during that period. And now i see him i think that hes like 50 years old? Idk but he probably lost his touch but some games he looks like the old Marbury. He just needs to improve in his free trows and being more consistent and being a better passer. And also be more of a leader.

AND ALSO THIS TEAM NEEDS TO BE A BETTER FREE TROW TEAM! I MEAN FREE TROWS WINS GAMES! LOOK AT PHOENIX U SEND ANY OF THEM TO THE LINE THATS 2 POINTS RIGHT THERE.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Well this is my thrid post and it sucks that my first two posts were really negative. I feel like the fans FINALLY get it that this team needs to blown up yet again starting with Dolan down. As for my answer to the question Eddy Curry easily worst starter on this team.

Looking at what we have, as Pat Riley said "the cupboard is full."

I think the problem with our team is we have a lot of role players looking for some leadership. And if i may quote Barkley "stars win basketball games." Who is the star of this Knicks team? Who is our leader? I think that we don't have one. The only player that comes close is Marbury. Unfortunately leadership is the one skill I believe cannot be taught and is quality that seperates good players from great players. If you want to see what leadership looks like have a look at Deron Williams, Kevin Garnett or Rasheed Wallace just to name a few. They only care about winning games and DO ANYTHING whether it be scoring, passing, calling other teammates out or getting technical fouls to get their team fired up.

As for the only player who tries to take over games down the stretch Crawford tries his best to be a leader, but he is too inconsistent to be anykind of example to the rest of his team.

As a tremendous fan of marbury for what he has done one and off the court its sad to see him disappear in the fourth quarter as he should be going to the basket and scoring at will just the way Manu Ginobli did as he willed his team past Dallas and Utah on a back to back minus Tim Duncan. However, with that said if you put some guys around Marbury that can play to his strengths he can still get you 20 points and 7 assists a game even at his age.

Get rid of these bums:
1. Curry
2. Jeffries
3. James
........and draft, trade or sign a Center who can play some D even if he is somehwat limited on offense.
Someone like:
1. Tyson Chandler
2. Emeka Okafur
3. Marcus Camby
4. Danny Fortson

With Curry gone the paint is wide open. Randolph works primarily on the high post and this should open the lane for Marbury to let him "do what he do" (no typo there :)) and thats drive in and kick to either randolph, q-rich on the perimter or dump it down to Lee or their center. The way i see the Knicks team being assembled ideally would be something like this:

1. Marbury/Jones or Robinson
2. Richardson/Crawford
3. Lee/Balkman
4. Z. Randolph/Malik Rose
5. ????/ Randolph Morris

Your Starting line up does its damage with Marbury and Z- Bo offensively. Marbury scores in transition and Z-bo on the block. Your glue guys are Richardson and Lee. Richardson needs to start nailing outside shots and Lee or fourse does the little things like put backs and rebounds. All thats missing is a center to anchor the defense and get rebounds.

The second unit can be used to change the tempo of the game. You got guys who can run and get transition baskets ( jones, robinson, crawfords as well as get steals and turnovers (Jones, balkman run a full court press etc etc. and take advatage of fresh legs and youth.

I'm curious if anyone shares my opinions or disagrees and would love to have some feedback. For now though lets hope We have our draft picks at the end of this year... :)

Last edited: