NYPOST: Artest Still Has Eye On Knicks

metrocard

Legend
December 19, 2007 -- Two years ago - when Indiana put Ron Artest on the trade market - his agent told The Post that if the Queensbridge native wasn't dealt to the Knicks, he'd just opt out of the final year of his contract and sign with them as a free agent.

Some dismissed the idea, but with that deadline approaching in June, Artest says it's a possibility.

"No matter how much you think about it, it's going to present itself," Artest - now with the Kings - said last nigh.

"There's so many things you have to take into consideration: The season, my agent, the teams. It's definitely my decision, but you have to take advice."

Artest is earning $7.8 million this season and will make a relative-bargain $8.45 million next year, but can opt out of that final season before free agency starts on July 1.

With the Knicks over the salary cap, unless they do a sign-and-trade, they could only offer him the mid-level exception for five years, so he'd have to leave millions on the table.

I don't want Artest on the same team with Isiah, Curry, Crawford and Randolph...Artest is my favorite 2nd player in the league...he doesn't have to suffer this bs led by Dolan.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
I don't want Artest on the same team with Isiah, Curry, Crawford and Randolph...Artest is my favorite 2nd player in the league...he doesn't have to suffer this bs led by Dolan.

I like Ron too man but don't you think this team needs a shake up!! like a real earthquake lol we are dying for change get rid of Zack and curry!!!! i made thistrade in NBA live 2008 worked ot pretty damn good! lol

timnakhla

Rookie
Artest would be great in a knick uniform, this guy is a warrior. Could anyone tell me if the knicks still have next year's first round draft pick?

Also if we could get Jermaine O and Jamal tensly it would be great..all of these indiana guys used to play hard for zeke.

jzero29

Rotation player
Opinion changed!

At this point, and after the soon to be loss tonight to the cavs, I thihnk this team needs a major change, I think it should start with the coach. As much as I like Herb, I don't think he's that much of a change. We need something drastic. The whole coaching crew.
I'd trade for artest, but I wouldn't want him to sour on NY because of our situation. You can see it on their faces, Look at lee, he has lost his fire. He is tired of being one of the only guys working hard and losing and I bet he jets as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to get artest and have him be like this situation here is no good I want to be on a winner, I'm out.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
How about they trade for Artest now so we can put him on Lebron tonight? This team needs an intense warrior like Artest, they need someone who can go to the hoop QueensStyle.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Artest is a great player and would give the team a defensive warrior and good scorer, but he's only one person and so I don't think it will make much of a difference in the long run. This team as a unit is bad defensively. Unless you get a damn good defensive 7 footer in the paint, not that much would change. Artest would lock up his man on D but everyone else would still score.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Artest would be a great addition if we were a team on the cusp of being great. Or just going somewhere. I've said it time and time again on this post. The New York Knicks Basketball Operations team, no matter who is at the helm, must be in a full blown rebuilding mode. Build a team through the draft.

Artest dont play around. He will chew out this team in they are not playing well. The only thing is that this team doesn't respond to anything. They will lose and continue to lose b/c they just don't have "IT". Whatever "IT" is.

Only trade for draft picks, let the cap go down. I rather keep losing with reasonable plan than what we are going through right now. We just keep throwing money at the problem.

The Hawks are better than us for god's sake.

Knicksfan71

Rookie
As much as I like Artest's game, I really don't want the headaches he will ultimately bring. I think he have had enough with Marbury and Thomas.

Artest for what though? I agree we definitly could use him , but at what price? They are in need of big men right? They could have any of our so called " bigs " except Lee! We need to hold on to our young talent even if it means suffering through another horrable season!

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
well i dont like how Artest is i mean he dosent have the best personality and may cause trouble off court but yea we need some1 that can defend the teams best player...tired of guys having carrer nights on us

OAKLEY RULEZ

Benchwarmer
NO!!!!!!

please, if this current knick sqaud has proved anything, is that talent w/a bad attitude = a poisned locker room.

yes he's a great competitor on the court, but there are only a hand full of players who got a worse reputation than steph, and artest is one of them

no, no no.

if this team is gonna b broken up, lets go for a non-headache type player.