New York Knicks vs San Antonion Spurs Game Thread 1/4/08

Which of these 3 players will have the best NBA career?

• Wilson Chandler

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Renaldo Balkman

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Trevor Ariza

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
New York Knicks(8-22) vs San Antonio Spurs(21-8)
Friday, January 4 at 8:30pm ET on MSG

Its time again for the MSGknickz33 pregame show, as always Im your host Jazzy Jeff and were gonna take a look at Friday nights game in San Antonio. Manu Ginobli and Brent Barry are both injured for the Spurs. Injuries have caused the Spurs to get off to a 21 and 8 start which is still impressive, but not what it normally would be. This is still problably the best team in the NBA and they will be going up against arguably the worst team in the league. The Knicks are coming off another embarassing loss to the Kings who were missing 3 of their best players. At least this loss will not be as embarassing, its expected.

Starting Lineups

San Antonio Spurs

pg-Tony Parker
sg-Michael Finley
sf-Bruce Bowen
pf-Tim Duncan
C-Fabricio Oberto

And Now Your New York Knicks!!!!!​

At Point Guard, Jamal Crawford
At Shooting Guard, Quentin Richardson
At Small Forward, Jared Jeffries
At Power Forward, Zach Randolph
At Center, Eddy Curry

Key Matchup: Tim Duncan vs Zach Randolph

Zach having played with Portland for several seasons before becoming a Knick is familiar with Tim Duncan. Hes gotta use his knowledge gained through past matchups to try to slow down Duncan. The problem with slowing down Duncan is that although he is predictable, theres nothing the defense can do about most of his post moves. He is fundamentally one of the best if not the best player in the league and he really knows how to use the glass. Randolph has gotta find a way to contribute offensively while being somewhat efficient for the Knicks to have any chance.

MSG33's Pregame Strategy:

• Pray for a victory!!!! The Spurs can score and defend, the Knicks are in for a long night
  • Rebound!!!! The Knicks are a better rebounding team (12th) then the Spurs (16th). This might be the only advantage that the Knicks have.
  • Move the Ball!!!! Although the Spurs are the 2nd worst shot blocking team, only ahead of the Knicks, they play a GREAT TEAM DEFENSE.
  • Defend the Perimeter!!!! Michael Finley might end up with a new season high

Stat of the Night: When scoring 100+ points they are 13-0

MSG33's Prediction: Spurs by 15

It is nearly impossible for the Knicks to win this game but anything can happen. If they play as a team and if they give it 100% for 4 quarters then they will have a chance but once you fall behind by double digits to a team like San Antonio its very difficult to come back. We saw this in a game earlier this season against the Detroit Pistons where the Knicks fell behind right before half time. They played well in the second half but the 10 to 15 point lead that the Pistons got before halftime was the difference.

Im your host Jazzy Jeff and I thank everyone for joining me for my pregame show. Tune into Msg tomorrow night to catch the Knicks and the Spurs.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I say Spurs by 23 and leading by 16 at the half.
Here's my breakdown:

Q-rich isn't putting up number anymore so that less energy Bowen has to expend on his own man.

Parker and Finley will have a field day against out backcourt, however, I think Jamal and Steph can match that as well.

Curry should be able to produce points against Oberto...if Duncan breaks his leg. Duncan is one of the best help defenders and since Curry has trouble seeing where double teams are coming from, it will be a problem for him.

Randolph should have a good game against SA. He averaged 21 pts and 10 rbs against them in 3 games last season.

David Lee will probably have a double double since he'll be taking more of Curry's minutes when Isiah realizes that the Spurs interior defense will keep Curry quiet on offense.

No O from Curry, no use being on the floor right?

I look for Parker and Duncan to have big nights. Marbury will have a good scoring game but in the end Spurs reign supreme.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
lmao...25?
man y is there even a tread? like wow foreal were talking about THE KNICKS! against probably the team thats gonna win it all again...>_> it hurts but its funny at the same time

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
im playin it safe by sayin 15, I think the Spurs will be up by 25 and the Knicks will cut it to 15 in the final 5 minutes of the game. lol its gettin harder and harder (no homo) makin the game threads. How am I suppose to be positive? I been throwin in some negativity and its impossible not to. Predictin that the Knicks will beat the spurs is like Isiah sayin we will win a championship someday with him coachin, even crackheads know both of them will never happen.

I picked Wilson Chandler for my poll even though I shouldve picked Ariza. Chandler looks like hes got potential to develop a nice shot and so does Ariza, i dunno about balkman. As much as i like balkman I dont care if he gets traded for Artest because Chandler is similar, its really too early to say whos better chandler or balkman. Same with Ariza, none of them have shown they can consistently knock down jumpers but they have all shown they can easily get above the rim, especially Ariza. Hes had sum real nice dunks. Balkmans play this season doesnt factor into my opinion on him, i blame his regression on Die-siah. Only time will tell which one of these 3 players will be the best but for now all we can do is predict who will be the best.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks can not beat the Spurs,or even stay close with them. The team plays with no defense, and Eddy Curry will probably let Tony Parker get 720 dunks on him all game(and YES I said 720-as in spinning two times and dunking over Curry's no defense having behind). I see Zach Randolph actually matching Tim Duncan in rebounding and in scoring.However, the poor defense of the Knicks will once again prevail, and they will drop to 8-23.I see David Lee, Nate, and Balkman providing a spark off the bench for a run that falls short.The odds of the Knicks winning is so short, I would consider this the biggest upset of the 2007-2008 regular season, if they miraculously win.

Last edited:
They lost tonite to the Nuggets who blocked more shots then the Knicks do in most months. Final score Spurs 103 Knicks 78. Thankfully I will be missing this game.

Pricey

Rotation player
I got odds of the Spurs to win by more then 12.5 pts at $1.90.
Im chucking $100 on that mofo, will make the hammering less painful.
Its come to betting against my team, fk Dolan and Isiah.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
if you watch this game its only to see how ugly it can truly get...

Only reason i picked Ariza is because he is now in a system and plays for a coach that will really bring out the best of his abilities. Every practice and game he will grow while Balkman and Chandler waste away with every minute they spend just in the same building with Thomas.

Kiyaman

Legend
if you watch this game its only to see how ugly it can truly get...

Only reason i picked Ariza is because he is now in a system and plays for a coach that will really bring out the best of his abilities. Every practice and game he will grow while Balkman and Chandler waste away with every minute they spend just in the same building with Thomas.

I have to agree with the above.

I've been noticing that every Knick oponent coach give the entire TEAM the green-light to score on the "NO-D Knicks" to see how well certain players that are not in the team-offense been practicing on creating in their offensive game. And the Spurs have a 10-man bench that want in on the offense.
So dont get toooo upset watcing this game when you see Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka, Oberto, and even Elson scoring at ease on the "NO-D Knicks"...

P.S. The NO-D Knicks Coaching Staff are not doing their "Defensive" JOB with the young 6.11 Randolph Morris to exercise at least about 12 mpg for him to even out the BIGMAN situation at having two 6.11 and two 6.9 Bigmen for protecting the paint. Jefferies & Malik are good help defenders outside the paint with a Bigman that also plays defense (Elson & Duncan).
Isiah giving all that "PAINT" playingtime to just Curry, Randolph, and Lee, early in the season without another tall bigman to pickup some bruises too.
That's crazy.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
well there goes the key matchup...

NEW YORK, Jan. 4, 2008 – Zach Randolph of the New York Knicks has been suspended one game without pay for throwing his headband and hitting an official, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President Basketball Operations.

Randolph will serve his suspension tonight when the Knicks visit the San Antonio Spurs at the AT&T Center.

Robinson vs. Parker should be kinda interesting but prob not

don't watch this game unless your really trying to depress yourself (its Friday night go out or watch ESPN!)

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Since the knicks were being out played out hustled , and simply got embarrassed against the Kings without Ron, Bibby, Kevin Martin, and Sheirff. I believe the Knicks don't even stand a chance against the champions Spurs.. I dont know Knicks 82 Spurs 100. Knicks will fall defensively...

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
so, uh, who's gonna start in his place? d-lee?
Starting David Lee would be the logical man to start. But judging by Isiah Thomas' poor decision making skills, he will probably start Jared Jeffries at PF and Curry at Center, or he might start Malik Rose so he could play 1 on 1 with his former teammate, Tim Duncan.Personally, I would start Lee for his hustle and James for shot blocking, but I doubt it will happen.

pat

Starter
It's gonna be an interesting one for Lee since he will have to play (at least a few minutes) against some kind of a clone of himself who has a jumpshot (Matt Bonner).

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
i wanna see more of wilson chandler again! hes did som gd stuff while he was on! he should get a full game seen as though we are going to get our ass kicked!!