New York Knicks vs New Jersey Nets Game Thread 1/16

Which of the following will be the biggest factor to the Knicks success?

• Increasing Nate Robinsons Minutes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Crawford continuing to shoot better

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Increasing Balkmans minutes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • We suck and we got lucky twice

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The New York Knicks(11-26) vs The New Jersey Nets(18-19)
January 16, 7:30pm ET on MSG​

Welcome to the MSGknickz33 pregame show, as always Im your host Jazzy Jeff and the Knicks will look to make it 3 straight tonight in New Jersey. Not only are the Knicks looking to have a 3 game winning streak for the first time this season but they are looking to also beat the Nets for the 3rd time this season. Jason Kidd did not play in the 1st game but he was there for the second. The Nets have lost 2 straight games so expect them to be ready to play. Lets take a look at tonights starting lineups.

New York Knicks vs New Jersey Nets

Jamal Crawford vs Jason Kidd
Fred Jones vs Vince Carter
Quentin Richardson vs Richard Jefferson
Zach Randolph vs Sean Williams
Eddy Curry vs Josh Boone

Key Matchup: Jamal Crawford vs Jason Kidd

Crawford has been shooting better recently and the stats prove that when the Knicks win Crawford plays much better.

11 games Won
22.9ppg
47% fg
45.5% 3P
4.8apg

25 Games Lost
17.8ppg
39.2 fg%
29.4% 3P
4.4apg

Theres a big gap in his shooting percentages when the Knicks win compared to when they lose. Defense and turnovers are not included in these stats but credit to Jamal for having a nice steal early in last nights game. Hes got the long arms and quick hands to be a much better defender but he doesnt have a defensive mentality. At least on offense he has been more consistent, lets take a look at what he has done over the past 7 games.

41.1mpg
21.3ppg
49.1fg%
44.4% 3P
4.1apg
3topg

Theres no way Crawford is slowing down Jason Kidd. I dont think Isiah would put Fred Jones on Kidd because Jamal would have to guard Vince Carter. We will most likely see Crawford guarding Kidd for most of the game. Im not expecting him to play defense, Im just hoping that he is efficient of offense.

Lets take a look at what they need to do to win tonight:

• Get back on defense!!! Jason Kidd is known for running the fastbreak and finding open teammates, stop the ball
  • Dont let big guys score: The Nets have a tough 1 2 3 punch with Kidd, Carter and Jefferson. They cant let the other players have big nights
  • Look for Eddy Curry down low, he had a good game the last time these 2 teams played
  • Move the ball and look for good shots, play as a team

As we all know the Knicks have problems with their perimeter defense. New Jersey is not one of the better perimeter teams in the league but that doesnt mean that you can leave them wide open. Heres a list of the best 3 point shooters on the Nets:

1. Vince Carter-35.8%
  2. Richard Jefferson-33.8%
  3. Darrel Armstrong-33%
  4. Jason Kidd-32.5%

The last time the Knicks played the Nets, Malik Allen and Jason Collins were the starting power forward and center. Since then, the Nets have wisely decided to go young with Sean Williams and Josh Boone. Williams is averaging just over 2 blocks a game. Hes very good at running the floor and finishing plays way above the rim. He doesnt have the strenght to match up with Zach Randolph but Z-Bo doesnt have the speed or conditioning to be chasing Williams up and down the court.

Josh Boone as a starter is averaging about 10pts and 8.5rbs in 29 minutes of play. At 6'10" 237 pounds Curry should be able to go right through him.

Nate Robinson should be able to come into the game and make an impact especially if the much slower Jason Kidd is guarding him. Balkmans defense and energy can make a big difference off the bench. If Q-Rich as expected returns to his normal form (not being able to hit a shot, poor defense) then Balkmans defense will be needed to slow down one of the top 10 ugliest players in the league, Richard Jefferson. As always David Lee will be a big factor off the bench. If Isiah doesnt like the way Z-Bo or Eddy is playing early on Lee will be their replacement and hes one of the few players on this team that you can consistently depend on too bring energy and make an impact.

That wraps it up for my pregame show, Im Jazzy Jeff and I thank everyone for joining me. Catch the Knicks and the Nets on MSG tonight.

Starks

Starter
I'll be at this game. It;s gona be a pain in the ass making my way back to Bronx from the swamp though. This will be much easier when they move to BK i guess.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
I can see u winning this 1...we have beaten the nets and knicks gotta have some confidence after 2 rare straight wins...so i see us winning but aint saying we are

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Good poll man. I believe it should be the increase in Balkmans minutes. He can't shoot that well. But his energy, and hustle are there every game.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
Good poll man. I believe it should be the increase in Balkmans minutes. He can't shoot that well. But his energy, and hustle are there every game.
yea...but i put Robinson 1...man hes showing maturity out there...like the way hes shotting 2 man...thank you a guy finally that u cant leave open in the knicks cuz if u do hell drain the shot...thank god! lolz and hes been passing good but deff play him/balkman/lee/ and JEFFRIES lolz...yes jeffries man...ive been saying this since i saw jeffries play this season hes been trying...he cares man...he mite suck but ey hes trying...look at Curry and Z bo...Curry losses confidane way 2 fast and Z bo always goes one on one and slows down the offense and all he cares about is stats...wit Robinson/Balkman/Lee/ and Jesffries playing more minutes expect competitive basketball...

nyKnicks126

Definately Nate Robinson has shown maturity on the floor, but most importantly Isiaherr is ACTUALLY realising that he is one of the elite players on this team. Nate has the future, and guess what he did during the summer time? He studied tapes of Baron Davis, and Steve Nash offensively, and defensively.. That helped his game a lot. He does have work ethic, and the 2 years he been in the league was a warm up. This year (3rd year) I am hoping he will be a starter for this squad. He deserves it.

Balkman on the other hand is a great defensive player, and his energy creates offense. Did you see that block he had against the Pistons, and from that block he ran up the court and dunked it down, he is a good player too. Just he's gotta work on his foul shooting.

A quote by Flip
“We got our ass kicked - Flip Saunders”

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

Im not tryin to be negative but I chose we suck and we got lucky twice. Im not convinced yet that were ready to win but its been nice seein them get 2 wins and although it makes more sense to intentionally lose and get the draft pick Id rather see these guys playin with some heart.

yea...but i put Robinson 1...man hes showing maturity out there...like the way hes shotting 2 man...thank you a guy finally that u cant leave open in the knicks cuz if u do hell drain the shot...thank god! lolz and hes been passing good but deff play him/balkman/lee/ and JEFFRIES lolz...yes jeffries man...ive been saying this since i saw jeffries play this season hes been trying...he cares man...he mite suck but ey hes trying...look at Curry and Z bo...Curry losses confidane way 2 fast and Z bo always goes one on one and slows down the offense and all he cares about is stats...wit Robinson/Balkman/Lee/ and Jesffries playing more minutes expect competitive basketball...

Good post TheKidd, Nates been killin it. We finally got a shooter and hes lookin like hes ready to play significant minutes at the point guard spot. I would start him for the rest of the season and see how he does. I dont like Jeffries but he does play harder then Curry and Z-Bo. Hes hyped up as bein some great defender, I think hes overrated but hes till not bad. He gets alot of deflections but again hes a better defender and tries harder then the buy 1 get 1 free doughnuts (curry and zbo).

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Definately Nate Robinson has shown maturity on the floor, but most importantly Isiaherr is ACTUALLY realising that he is one of the elite players on this team. Nate has the future, and guess what he did during the summer time? He studied tapes of Baron Davis, and Steve Nash offensively, and defensively.. That helped his game a lot. He does have work ethic, and the 2 years he been in the league was a warm up. This year (3rd year) I am hoping he will be a starter for this squad. He deserves it.

Balkman on the other hand is a great defensive player, and his energy creates offense. Did you see that block he had against the Pistons, and from that block he ran up the court and dunked it down, he is a good player too. Just he's gotta work on his foul shooting.

Nates becomin one of my favorite players. I saw it in him as a rookie, i always liked what I heard about his work ethic. Peter Vecsey continues to shit on him as well as the rest of the team but Nate deserves some credit. One of the knocks on his is that hes not a good passer but I think hes been doin a good job. He can brake down defenses at will, its hard to name any players faster then him.

That was a great play by Balkman and its good to see him playin again. This is why we have been losin. Not enough minutes given to the new big 3, Nate Balkman and Lee. I wanna see them get 35 minutes a game each.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The biggest reason the knicks won was because
1. Both teams had to fight extremely hard in their previous games the night b4 and
2. Those teams looked at the knicks record and thought it would be a walkoff and did not come mentally prepared.

In addition to that, I voted the difference was balkman. Once again this proves Isiah a$$holeness. He doesn't play the dude in forever - opting to give PT to Jefferies and Chandler, and we were racking up the losses...

Atleast this dude competes and plays hard

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The two main guys that the Knicks must contain is Richard Jefferson and
Vince Carter.These two guys can score 25+ points on any given night.If the Knicks want to have a good chance to win, they must hold them to 20 points each.Josh Boone and Sean Williams do not have anywhere near the offensive talent of Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry, so the Knicks must get the ball to Eddy and Zach down low(especially Eddy who can get hook shots,dunks, lay ups, and draw fouls on Josh Boone).I think the Knicks will win this one, but it's definitely gonna be a close game.Eddy Curry has had success, when he plays against centers that he has a big weight advantage over, and I think this will be one of those nights. Also, I don't think Sean Williams can stop Zach, because Zach can use his left hand, which often throws off lots of players on defense.

nyKnicks126

hmm Williams is great. Thats why I want him on this team.. GET THAT piece of Sh!T Curry out of there!!!!!! I WANT DeAndre JORDON NOT EC!!!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
THe Nets know the deal, there runnin the court lookin for Sean Williams. Z-Bo has no chance of keepin up with him and I would hope thats part of their scouting report. Boone is suprisingly doin a good job on Curry so far but Curry had a nice offensive rebound and then a dunk.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
hmm Williams is great. Thats why I want him on this team.. GET THAT piece of Sh!T Curry out of there!!!!!! I WANT DeAndre JORDON NOT EC!!!

Fred Jones isnt a bad player, hes shootin 42% overall, 35% from the perimeter. I dont mind see him gettin some minutes. Curry should be eatin through New jerseys front line. Williams got game, he wouldve been a great player to put next to Curry.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I hate to bring Marbury up but it sounds like hes really injured. He said he wants to come back before the seasons over even if their not in the playoff race. Im not sure how much he loved ballin in the past but I believe at this point of his career he wants to win. Who cares what hes gettin paid, look at all the people he touched no homo.

Kidd, Williams, and Carter are raping us no homo. Kidds got 6 assists, Williams has 10pts and Carters got 8pts

Pricey

Rotation player
i wonder that person who posted that he doesnt want Vince Carter at the Knicks is watching this.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Im one of them but Ill stick to it, he doesnt do this everynight and he dissapeared last year in the playoffs against Cleveland. At the same time I would take him over Crawford without thinkin about it but hes got a big contract.

Pricey

Rotation player
contracts dont seem to worry the Knicks hehehehe.
I would like him to play here, He is a better forward then anyone we have and if they said we had to trade Crawford to get Carter then i would crack up laughing and say "DEAL".
Interesting as well that the Nets didnt play yesterday so whats that saying about us? Early days but its a fairly big deficit to chase after 1 quarter.
Lets hope we hit most of our shots this quarter and play some good defence

Yeah I'd take him over jamal but the last thing we need is more huge contracts

And about the game, we're just throwin bricks up there. Somehow we need 2 find a way to stop Kidd