Oak - Knicks are soft, untalented

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://ny.metro.us/metro/sports/article/Oakley_Knicks_are_soft_untalented/11554.html

NBA. Knicks fans got some backup yesterday from Charles Oakley. The 44-year-old former Knicks forward was just as flagrant with his words when it came to the befuddled franchise as he was with his elbows during his 19-year career.

“They don’t have a leader. A lot of the guys on the team don’t know how to play basketball,” said Oakley, who paired with former teammate Charles Smith yesterday morning at Madison Square Garden to promote SpikeTV’s “Pros vs. Joes.” “They don’t look like they’ve been playing basketball on a day-to-day basis.”

It’s an argument justified by the Knicks’ 13-28 record and a 12.8 average margin of defeat. But while head coach Isiah Thomas has received most of the flak, Oakley exonerated him.

“I don’t think they have a lot of talent,” he said. “They have a lot of guys making money. That doesn’t mean you have talent.”

Thomas’ cause is not aided when he’s lost the tenacity he played with for so many years against Oakley. Coaching and playing are like night and day to Oakley, but he said he expected more feistiness out of Thomas than he has shown. It also doesn’t help he has a misguided “superstar” in Stephon Marbury.

“Stephon should be more of a leader and more of a outgoing guy,” Oakley said. “I think Stephon wanted too much [money], personally.”

Former Knicks guard John Starks, who coached the Charleses to a 7-1 record in the morning session, agreed.

“It’s kind of mind-boggling,” said Starks, who still works for the Knicks. “They can’t stay focused.”

Neither Smith nor Starks could remember a time during their playing days when a whole team did not come to the arena ready to play night in and night out.

Every player is going to struggle with something at one point in the season, Smith said. That’s what teammates are for — to pick each other up and re-focus them. The way the Knicks are operating, there’s probably not a lot of guidance from anyone in the locker room, he said.

Smith remembers when he came to New York before the 1992 season. He realized the importance of going out with teammates during off days, eating with them away from the court and just being “guys who hang out.” That’s how a successful team learns to gel with new players coming in, something Eddy Curry admitted earlier this season was not the team’s strong point.

“We do enough,” Curry said in December.

Oakley said he can think of a place for these “jokers” to go and bond for a while — a tattoo parlor.

“All of them got 30, 40 tattoos,” he said. “I think they’re too friendly with other players. They smile and joke.”

There’s nothing to smirk about. The only thing that is laughable, Oakley said, is the team's lack of leadership. It’s not coming from Marbury, and he doesn’t expect it from Zach Randolph or Curry, who have softened the image of a bruising blue and orange inside game, which Oak and Patrick Ewing built a career on more than a decade ago.

“Randolph is just a double-double guy and [Curry] hasn’t been in shape in two or three years,” he said. “They lose the same way, by 20, 30 points. If you’re going to lose, lose going out – bodies on the floor, making an effort on defense. If you lose 30-something games by the All-Star break, it’s a disgrace.”

Starks

Starter
You tell em' Oak. Most of us absolutley HATE EVERYTHING about this team also.

But who cares about what Charles Smith thinks. He has never been on good terms with NYC.

If I were a Knick, I wouldn't want to hang with these dudes myself though. I'd only really would be interested in hanging with Balkman if I had to pick...everyone else, I wouldn't even want to be in the same elevator with.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Oakley knows sumthin about playin hard and winnin, I love the comment about Curry not bein in shape for 2 or 3 years. I think the Knicks should sign him to a contract so he can kick everyones ass and get the players in shape. After these quotes Isiah will probably have him banned from MSG.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
HA HAAAAAA!!!

Good stuff. Great comments on leadership and Curry's poor shape. He's right, we don't have a tough guy to intimidate other teams. The team is soft. Oak use to throw elbows and players into the stands. No one would dare try to dunk on Oak or Mason in their prime. That's how it should be with Randolph and Curry. I'm all for breaking this front court up ASAP.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i agree wit almost everything he said, this team doesnt have a leader but this team does have talent

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Thank you! It's about time Charles Oakley said the truth.You got
Eddy Curry wearing his #34, yet he's cornfed and soft on defense and rebounding.Curry should be locked up for 3 years, for having Oakley's number.And you got Jared Jeffries and Jerome James making a combined 60 million to do what?I haven't seen them do sh*t since they came here.And Quentin Richardson is one of the most inconsistent player in NBA history.If you look at his career stats, it's typical of Richardson to average 12 plus points per game one year, and then average 8 points the next.What type of player takes a whole season off?And Crawford has a reputation of attempting over twice as many 3's as freethrows.What kind of a greedy player takes so many damn 3's,and can't get himself to the foul line?And Zach Randolph is one of the most greediest players in the NBA. What kind of player holds the ball deep into the shot clock, only to shoot over a triple team?This team is sad, and I'm glad a former Knick that played well for the Knicks is saying it.The Knicks do have a lot of 1 dimensional talent, but there are very few players on the Knicks that can say they are good at doing more than one thing on the basketball court.

Listen I love Oakley and how he used to play with that certin swagger and toughness (kind of Mr T. like ball... intimidation fool! haha) but don't some of you guy's maby think he's a little sore at the Knicks organisation for not giving him a look over this year when he said he wanted to make a return this year? I know what he said about our team is correct so it dosen't realy matter why he said it. I just hope the comments Oakley made intise some change in the way we play (dobt it though).

Starks

Starter
Listen I love Oakley and how he used to play with that certin swagger and toughness (kind of Mr T. like ball... intimidation fool! haha) but don't some of you guy's maby think he's a little sore at the Knicks organisation for not giving him a look over this year when he said he wanted to make a return this year? I know what he said about our team is correct so it dosen't realy matter why he said it. I just hope the comments Oakley made intise some change in the way we play (dobt it though).

Yea hes sour- that doesn't take anything away from what he said. It's 100% accurate

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Whether Oakley is upset or not,he deserves his props for calling out the Knicks for the team that they are.Isiah Thomas is an idiot that throws money around, as if it grew on trees.And what do we have now?A bunch of 1 dimensional players that have poor chemistry and can't play well on a consistant basis.The things that need to be done to the Knicks, so that they can properly rebuild:
-Trade Curry,or send him to the D League and bench him, if you can't.
-Trade or Waive Quentin Richardson and Jared Jeffries.
-Draft a good defensive player at Center
-Draft a good defensive point guard
-Reduce Crawford's minutes to 30 mpg, so that he won't be such a liability on defense;only play him above that, if he's on fire,or if his defense is actually good that night.
-Make Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing the assistant coaches.
-Fire Isiah, if he refuses to do ALL of these things.

Kiyaman

Legend
Charles Oakley said it best, the team dont hang-out together off the court.
If Marbury, Crawford, and Q.Richardson was seen together on a regular basis around New York after their second season together the Knicks would have a leadership with the three players. They seperate from one another once they leave the Lockerroom so their play on court is seperate. You would think after their first 5 straight losses this season one of the three would set up a meeting for the three at a Gym to work out strategies together vs their NBA schedule (they are STARTERS).
The Curry & Zach regular season performance was obvious during the entire 2007 offseason without either one of the two meeting up at any Gym to bond as teammates.

Charles Oakley is a 100% right, because the Knicks "Starting-5 Players" do not show that they have each others Back in their performance. And its not one single player its all 5-Starting-players.
So how should the bench-players perform if they are made to follow and play alongside of the Knicks starting-5 players?

Why do Knick-fans like the young players on this team,
because in the 2005 offseason the young players of "Trevor Ariza, Jackie Butler, Frye, Lee, and Nate", went and ate at the same restaurant, showed up together at all the Knicks organization edorsements for the team, plus worked out regularly throughout the offseason together to bond a friendship team chemistry.
Since 2005 to 2007 offseason Knicks Summer League team, the players on that roster bond together as teammates 100% better than the Knicks Starting lineups for the last 3 seasons.

Starks

Starter
Charles Oakley said it best, the team dont hang-out together off the court.
If Marbury, Crawford, and Q.Richardson was seen together on a regular basis around New York after their second season together the Knicks would have a leadership with the three players. They seperate from one another once they leave the Lockerroom so their play on court is seperate. You would think after their first 5 straight losses this season one of the three would set up a meeting for the three at a Gym to work out strategies together vs their NBA schedule (they are STARTERS).
The Curry & Zach regular season performance was obvious during the entire 2007 offseason without either one of the two meeting up at any Gym to bond as teammates.

Well I can't knock them for this. I don't make an effort to really hang with my staff either... Clock in. go home.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Well I can't knock them for this. I don't make an effort to really hang with my staff either... Clock in. go home.

lol same here I hate most the people I work with. I do think theres certain groups of players that hang out together on this team:

The Burger King Boys: Jerome, Eddy, Zach, and Q-Rich
The Circus Gang: Isiah, Crawford, Jeffries, Malik Rose, Nate Robinson, Balkman
David Lee still hangs out with Channing Frye

I guess we were wrong, most of the team participates in the local circus in their free time. The others are either bums with no friends or hang out at Burger King. Next time Oakley cant be so quick to jump to conclusions.

metrocard

Legend
Two years ago, Isiahsexuals would of been hounding Oakley for this. Now they have a little more common sense and know when to shut the fuck up when necessary.

OAKLEY RULEZ

Benchwarmer
wow, the man has been retired for years and yet there still r new reasons to justify him being my hero.

KEEP PRECHING DA TRUTH OAK!!!!!!