Trade Deadline Updates.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15,

I understand what you are saying and would consider his behavior a ploy to get traded to NY if he didn't have a history of behavior that suggests he needs professional help and doesn't understand the meaning of the word "team". The very fact that we think it's possible that he would be willing to get technical fouls and start trouble with the coach in order to accomplish his goal of getting traded is telling you that he's putting himself ahead of his team right now - a team that for the first time is healthy and still has a shot at the playoffs. That's a terrible sign by itself. It reminds me of the kind of behavior we just got rid of.

If all that doesn't convince this would be a major error (especially if we gave up one or more of our young prospects or draft picks), let's try it from another direction.

IMHO, even if the Knicks got Artest for NOTHING (which won't be the case if we get him before the trading deadline), he would not take the team to the championship next year any more that Kidd or Carter would (2 other deals I think would be a horror show). All those guys would do is make us good enough to never a get a decent draft pick and in all probability get stuck with another unmovable contract.

The Knicks are still light years away from a championship. I didn't think that was the case coming into the season because I thought there was a good chance guys like Lee, Balkman, Curry, Collins, Robinson, and Crawford were going to step up their games to a new level. Robinson has made some progress, but no one else really has. Given that reality, what we need to do now is sit out out the bad contracts, keep hoping at least one or two of these guys does develop a mid range jumper, stop eating at Burger King etc... and try to trade for expiring contracts and draft picks. It's frustrating to lose every night. But other than hoping the kids develop a little, that's what we should be rooting for. That way we'll get a good pick next year. We also aren't that far away from dumping a bunch of overpaid players and making room for a legitimate all star that doesn't come with any baggage. We need a 3-4 year plan from here and must be patient. Trading legimate young long term assets and draft picks for players already at or past their peak to turn us from a horrible team into an 7th-8th seed is a very bad idea if you are trying to win a championship.

I don't mean this to be personal because I know a lot of you guys know more about "basketball itself" than I do, but I suspect that many of you are too young to have seen what it takes to win and to build a championship team. You can't think about these things in terms of players you happen to like, the local boy, the guys you would like on the team. It takes long term planning and paying attention to intangibles.

Metro had it right the other day when he was talking about not caring about losing now, getting draft picks and expiring contracts etc... He's wrong today to want Artest, but I understand he's thinking with his heart and not his head today because he likes Artest, as do the rest of you.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
a lot of ppl around da league have questioned artest actions but u never heard anybody question his game

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't think Artest went "crazy". If you watch the first video that Metro has posted, to me it looks like he was just playing with heart. Man, Oakley would do those same things, but since it was Artest it's labeled as "crazy". "NO LAY-UPs". You got to love that attitude. Something this Knicks team desperately needs. BRING ARTEST TO NEW YORK!!!

Knicklover, I understand your argument. I feel the same way, but I would still love it if Artest became a Knick.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I don't see the hype in getting Artest. He's not going to bring us a championship nor even make us contenders. At best, he might bring us to the playoffs assuming his crazy personality doesn't actually hurt the team. We need to start making moves that will lead to a team dynasty winning championships. That means hitting the lottery and drafting hardworking good character guys with winning mentalities for the next couple years and getting the Knicks under the salary cap to make a run at Lebron, DWade, and Bosh.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Do you know anything about basketball? or the inner circle of the nba? I'm not coming at you like you do me BUT I'm saying look into stuff, get sources, use your brain before coming at me. When you are in a situation where you will get nothing for letting a superstar walk.. youll take the something. Sacramento wont be under the cap and no star will want to go there regardless so you take a deal where you get a big defensive minded SF on a three year contract that doesnt go higher than 6.8 million (which you says suck cause he doesnt put up stats) and young SF who has the potential to turn into a pretty good player in his own right. Along with a 2nd round pick? and you tell me they wont desperately take that? And if you dont think Ron will stick to his word and opt out then you are nuts. Ron is nuts and Ron has heart. His heart is in NY. hes been making money for the past 8 years on 3 teams he could careless about. and by the time endorsements come his way (a Knick from NY adv $$$, look at Steph for example) hell make way more than the MLE on top of Jersey sales which will be HIGH. im not gonna say YOU should go back to business school... but perhaps you should just think before you come at someone... just a thought my friend.

I see your point but part of a GM's responsibility when looking into moving players is to make sure they get anything of value for the player. So, letting Artest go for Jeffries is not something a GM would do because you would be adding his contract (4 years remaining) and if they are over the cap, Jeffires contract is almost double in price. If they were saying to add in Fred Jones contract, that would make sense because it would come of the payroll at the end of the season. Or even Jeffires, Chandler and a first round pick even if it is say top 5 protected. In reality, if the only deal for them is with the Knicks for Jeffries, Chandler and a second round pick, the Kings might be better off just letting Artest walk instead of adding 4 years of salary from a player that isn't really going to contribute anything; just ask Isiah about Malik Rose!! That is why Isiah is a bad GM; he made moves just to make moves with out any strategy involved.

NYKnicks15

Starter
valid point. i just think either JJ or Malik will be going in this deal and with the only other option Kings have been offered is Nene's huge contract or Eduardo Najera... you would think they will take JJ, Chandler and a pick. maybe thats just me tho.

UPDATES:

New Jersey Nets: Will recieve Stromile Swift for Jason Collins by the end of the week. memphis is begging to get rid of him and Collins contract is only 2 years as well. Unless the Grizz get a pick of some sort this trade seems pointless for them.

Jermaine O'Neal: Will likely be out a few weeks for "sore knee". Word around the team is you will not see him in a Pacer uniform again.. strangely Jermaine was spotted in New York and New Jersey supposedly getting another doctors opinion... let the rumors begin.

Shaquille O'Neal:
His record as a consecutive allstar has been broken. RIGHTFULLY. And Pat Riley has been supposedly quietly shopping the big man.

now heres a thought. if the heat are looking to get under the cap or just trade the big man in general how long do you think it is before isiah smartens up and jumps on this?.. now hear me out! i think O'Neals done as a player anyway. So basically we are looking at value here. If we trade for O'Neal, he sells a few jerseys plays for us next season for a little bit and maybe becomes a leader. thats fine and dandy but whats the point of getting him you ask? wellllll if we could somehow swing a deal where Eddy Curry (9 mill 4 years) Zach Randolph (13 mill 4 years) Renaldo Balkman (2 m) and Malik Rose (7 mill 2 years) go to the Heat for say Shaquille O'Neal (60 mill 3 years) and Ricky Davis (expiring 8 mill 1 year) with a first round pick. shouldnt we bite? im not saying thats the proposed deal but i think i would seriously contemplate that.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
yeah but if we still have artest will show are players some hearts

The Knicks do lack heart. However, they also have many other problems such as lack of chemistry and interior defense. Artest will definitely improve one of our many weaknesses which is perimeter defense but a player like Artest is more likely to lower team chemistry. If we were talking about getting Jason Kidd, then that would be a different story. He's a leader and him alone could change the culture of the team and teach them the right way to play. That's why the Mavs is willing to give up a young stud like Devin Harris for a guy reaching his 40s. Now, I'm not saying we should get Jason Kidd. The Knicks need to rebuild and it's highly unlikely (impossible) that we can get him anyways.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
There's no question that Artest will make this team slightly better defensively. I don't think any one should expect him to turn water into wine, cause in reality this team needs a major overhaul and one player can't fix it all. Again, getting Artest is a leap in the right direction but not enough to please Knicks fans in a full season.

15 mentioned trading Crawford and James for Carter. This is a trade I have to disagree with. Sure Carter jerseys would sell like hotcakes and the buzz would be back at the garden but adding Carter to the roster along side Randolph, Curry and potentially Artest will only cause personality conflicts. NY's biggest problem, well one of their biggest problems is we've got a team of all shooters and scorers. Guys that need the ball to arguably be affective. I've said this before, if you take several players from the Knicks and put them in a different environment on different teams they can really flourish, but in reality all-star teams don't often work in the league. We need gritty grunt players the likes of Juwon Howard in his prime and Kurt Thomas. We need ball movement and a dedicated floor general. These should be our highest priorities.

Eddie Curry: Is he finished? I don't know. What I do know is there are players in the league that are not the best defensively but make good contributions offensively. (See Tracy McGrady or cousin Vince) Curry was one of those players before Thomas brought in Randolph. Being that Curry has zero defensive game, the shift of Randolph being more of an offensive weapon may have hindered Curry's development. The bottom line is regardless of whose fault it is or weather or not Curry can has potential or is completely useless, this front court needs to be dismantled immediately. Although Randolph is the more productive he is also the most tradable asset of the two. We've got D. Lee who has proven to be a starter. This leads me to believe we should be making a serious attempt to trade Randolph but conservatively for an expiring contract if possible.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The lakers just got Gasol for Kwame, Critteron and two 1st rd picks

That means
PG: Fisher
SG: Kobe
SF: Odom
PF: Gasol
C: Bynum

HOLY SHIT!!

NYKnicks15

Starter
Thanks Trinnstarr!!! I got caught up in some daily business and wasnt able to report it in time. i apologize BUT Pau Gasol WILL be sent to the lakers.

The trade as for now goes Pau Gasol to the lakers and Kwame Brown and his expiring contract, javaris crittenton & a 2008 + 2010 first round draft pick will go to Memphis. with the stromile trade to follow it looks like memphis is beginning their overhaul mode. more details as they come.

deal is not official. i will return when details are finalized.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
Hello fellow Knick fans! When I first got started here I contributed quite heavily.. as things picked up business wise here in the real world I kinda drifted off BUT now! since I only pop in to moderate, drop a few rumors and attempt to start bickering I am back to contribute a little more heading towards the February 21st deadline... hence the title of this thread. It's not as much as I used to do with articles, fantasy league, gamethreads (big props to MSGKnickz33 for that btw) but it's something so suck it haha.

So I'm going to give you every update for all teams as they come to me regarding trades, waivings, signings etc. HERE WE GO.

TOP 3 Predictions.

jason_kidd.jpg
Jason Kidd:
Jason Kidd wants out of NJ. NJ wants something out of Jason Kidd, simple as that. A deal will be done before deadline so the Nets can head into the offseason with a clear mind on the draft and free agency. Jason's first pick as a destination is..

Dallas Mavericks:
A one on one trade would involve Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse (expiring), cash and maybe a draft pick. Brandon Bass could also be included. The only problem with this is the Nets dont get as much as they want. Hence a possible 3 way deal involving..

Portland Trailblazers: To me this makes no sense at all of why theyd want to mess up their chemistry BUT the deal would go as planned but have Harris/Bass go to the Blazers, Outlaw/Frye/Jack go to New Jersey alongside Jerry Stackhouse. I'm not in favor of the Blazers getting involved but I guess they figure with Oden being ready for next season these role players minutes will decrease regardless. On a side note Jarrett Jack has been shopped around for the past month or so on his own.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Kidd & LeBron are good friends thanks to team USA participation and look for both to keep each other in mind when talking to front office. The only problem with this is a third team would probably still be needed & the offer would center around Drew Gooden.. which I'm not too sure any package centered around Drew Gooden is something you trade an allstar for.

15's Destination Predictions: Dallas Mavericks

damon_stoudamire.jpg
Damon Stoudamire: After having a mutual agreed buyout from the youth movement in Memphis Damon will clear waivers and become a free agent at the end of this week.

Boston Celtics: Despite making OBVIOUS sense to get a proven veteran point guard to mold Rondo and share minutes with the youngster Danny Ainge has decided NOT to look into signing Damon any time soon.

San Antonio Spurs: Who seem to be always looking to age are the frontrunners for his services. Needing a better option at backup PG after trading away Beno Udrih to the Kings this makes sense.. for the NOW. Not so much the future. Gives Damon a chance at a ring and gives someone minutes who is proven.

Toronto Raptors: His old.. young team could also have interest with TJ Fords status not too certain. But with Ford coming back to practice this week the Raptors will have more of a feel if his services are definitely needed.

15's Destination Prediction:
San Antonio Spurs

ron_artest.jpg
Ron Artest: Ron-Ron on the move again.. and this team not by his own demand or crazy antics. Ron has done everything to be a team player. Came back from injury early. Shut his mouth in the media. Not jumping into stands. you know not the typical ronnie stuff. BUT the Kings are looking to overhaul sooo...

Playoff contenders: Its basically do or die with Ron. He will opt out after this season so the risk of giving up something valuable for him is HIGH. So the only way it will happen is if a playoff team on the verge of making some noise but not making it all the way decides to use him for exactly that. Instant dose of D&O. But who will attemt that? I dont know exactly... Mavs are always in the mix, San Antonio? Houston? Not sure.

New York Knicks: Ron's first choice. Knicks first choice. A package deal could take place in a bibby/artest/marburyetcetc ordeal but the more likely is Isiah finally making a good move. He's been holding out from using Robinson or Lee and I think he still will be. So look for Jeffries&Chandler with a second round pick to go to the Kings in exchange for Artest. Possibly with another small contract player involved. With deadline making the Kings desperate to get something back and seeing that no one in their right mind will trade something overly valuable for someone who can opt out and sign with NY next year ANYWAY

15's Destination Prediction: New York Knicks

Top 5 Notable on the moves:
1: Stromile Swift: NJ Nets for Jamaal Magloire? Possible.
2: JJ Reddick: Exploring possible trades. Not likely.
3: Charlie Villenueva: Possible suitors? "New York, Houston"
4: Delonte West: Not permanent in Seattle.
5: Vince Carter: who would take him?

welllll this brings me to my help the knicks rant of the day. I know we all would like to get under the cap. But in the reality of things, with our owner.. with our staff.. with out players! its not possible. Sure Curry for Kwame would help and Craw to the Magic for expiring players etc COULD work but lets face it. it wont. In the reality of things no one wants Jeromes James contract.. Jamal Crawfords contract.. Q's contract.. Stephs or Maliks we have to face it. Randolph and Curry still have value and GMs will still take that risk on 13 & 10 million dollar big men that actually produce.. if the offense is ran through them. we are stuck with what we have. BUT if Vince Carter is offered to us for Jamal Crawford and Jerome James (Which he was) and we can somehow swing Balkman in there (who NJ likes a lot) for Sean Williams TAKE IT. his contract has an option for 10/11 a team option that is. I say pull the trigger. then pull the trigger on a Artest deal. before you know it we have a roster of (if done right)

Curry/Williams/Morris
Randolph/Lee/Rose
Artest/Richardson
Carter/Jones
Marbury/Robinson/Collins

hell id even try to trade Randolph&Curry for Camby & Kmarts bad contract. thats pushin it but atleast that gives us a chance this season and then we reevaluate in the offseason. Rose will have on year left. Well still have a first round pick. And we have bright youngs in Williams, Lee, Robinson and to the extent of Randolph/Curry I guess haha. Just some food for thought.. not sayin itll save us. but hell... we cant get any worse.

That would be a horrible line up man i like ron but carter and curry and randoiph and steph ! The the hell is that those are all me me me players! and carter i washed up so is marbury!

MSGhobo247

Rotation player

That means

HOLY SHIT!!

Lakers are so serious right now... you know Kobe is cheezin real hard... when Bynum gets back... o lawdy

Trin_Starr

Starter
Odom, Gasol, Bynum - That is a formidable frontline! Do you hear that Isiah? Formidable? Do you even know what that word means?? LOL

God I hate that dumbass commercial! :) lol

Starks

Starter
Thanks Trinnstarr!!! I got caught up in some daily business and wasnt able to report it in time. i apologize BUT Pau Gasol WILL be sent to the lakers.

The trade as for now goes Pau Gasol to the lakers and Kwame Brown and his expiring contract, javaris crittenton & a 2008 + 2010 first round draft pick will go to Memphis. with the stromile trade to follow it looks like memphis is beginning their overhaul mode. more details as they come.

Are they having a Florida Marlin style firesale? I'm all about young players that aren't all-starts quite yet. I'd like to see what Hakim Warrik can do. I'd give Balkman up for him without even thinking about it.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here

That means

HOLY SHIT!!
=O...wow y cant the knicks make a move! trade some1 already! tired of this knicks team! wow watch out 4 them lakers now...

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Dont worry I think Isiahs got something figured out. The thing that he does is he tells the media he will be quite during the draft, but the next day for example the draft of 2007 pulls off a huge trade and gets Z Bo here. I know Isiah will be pulling for something. There are more examples, but I just dont know them all.

Since Artest doesn't want to be a King that much, the Kings would like to make a move with the Knicks before the trade deadline, because they want to get a young player like Lee, or Balkman for him. Or they will wait and get only 7+ million in expiring money thats equalivilent to Malik Rose's salary. Artest is worth more in my opinion. So a trade of Balkman and Rose for Artest could be the trade.

Scenario 2
How are the Knicks going to be able to sign Artest in the offseason when they dont have the cap? If theres nothing at the trade deadline, I think there will be a sign and trade during the offseason for Artest. So either way the Knicks will probably get him. The Heat WERE interested in Artest but I am not sure on their interest status at this point.

paris401

Starter

now this is what i am talking about.. the grizzles ain't going anywhere,anytime soon, so they trade their franchise for an expiring contract+this other guy (i don't know him) and 2 1st rounders.. so in reality what the grizz's got was cap space + 2 picks..

now to the knicks... we get zach for free, and u guys think he has value....PLeease... no one is taking him off our hands.. he is owed upwards of 50m over the next 3 years.. teams want to dump salary, not take on $$$.. the black-hole has no value... curry is in the same boat , as is qrich,jefferies,burger-king james,marbury/etc..

we have no 'chips' to trade ... maybe jamal, but i don't think he even has any takers...

in a word we be 'fuk'd'