DerMarr Johnson

egluck

Rookie
So whats the deal with this guy? He was supposed to be a star but then he got into a car accident and now he definately wont be good or he still has a shot at being a solid NBA player?

KnickFan2080

Benchwarmer
i don't think this was such a bad move. the kid has potentional, and can replace anytime shandon anderson, or even penny.. why not?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a nice piece on DerMarr from Daily News

Wilkens has enough to worry about with the latest roster addition, DerMarr Johnson. The former first-round pick was at practice, his second full day as a Knick after signing a 10-day contract on Tuesday.

The 6-9 Johnson was selected sixth overall in the 2000 draft by Atlanta, but suffered three cracked vertebrae in a car crash on Sept. 13, 2002. He tried to make a comeback with Phoenix last year before being cut in the preseason.

"I didn't follow his whole background," Wilkens said. "But it's a second chance, it's an opportunity and you've got to make the most of it. That's what we should be looking at.

"He's paying attention, he's listening. It's too soon to say anything. We've got to get him into some up and downs, see how (he) responds, how quickly he picks things up."

Johnson said he isn't limited physically as a result of the injury and was eager to get to work with his new teammates.

"I can't wait. They've been playing every day and their guys are beat up, so it's not worth it going after just me. I'm sure we'll get in a good day tomorrow," he said. "I know all the plays; it's not that hard. I feel I know what it takes to prove to them that I can stick here."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/161489p-141582c.html

jayp

Benchwarmer
dermarr has been playing in the ABA (i think) and has been averaging 22 ppg.. i dnt think he'll get min with penny and shandon in rotation...

NYK Man8

Benchwarmer
i think he's going to be a good backup
he played just 4 minutes last night, but i can't wait to see him getting more time