New York Knicks at Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 2/29

Which of the following players is the best defensively?

• Tim Duncan

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Marcus Camby

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Dwight Howard

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Kevin Garnett

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The New York Knicks(18-39) vs The Atlanta Hawks(23-32)
Fri. 2/29 at 7:30pm ET on MSG​

philips_arena.jpg

Welcome to the MSGKnickz33 Pregame show, Im your host Jazzy Jeff and its time to break down Friday nights game against the Hawks. The Knicks have won 4 out of their last 10 games, including a 24 point win over the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. Jamal Crawford played well, scoring 20 points (7-13). He made some nice passes, had some nice crossovers, and played only 33 minutes, finally gettin some rest. This Knicks team has talent, but they rarely decide to play as a team.

The Atlanta Hawks are sinking, winning only 2 out of their last 10 games. They are one game out of the 8th spot, behind the New Jersey Nets. Analysts and Knicksonline posters have predicted the Hawks will finally be a playoff team (Including myself and Charles Barkley). The recent acquisition of Mike Bibby should make it a guarentee, despite the recent slide. Bibby had a huge game against his former team, the Kings, on Wednesday night scoring 24 points. He also dished out 12 assists and snatched 5 rebounds.

knicks.gif

hongkong_073007rh.jpg

STARTING LINEUPS

The Atlanta Hawks

pg-Mike Bibby
sg-Joe Johnson
sf-Josh Smith
pf-Marvin Williams
C-Al Horford

*Marvin Williams is listed as day-to-day

AND NOW YOUR NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!

AT POINT GUARD NATE ROBINSON
AT SHOOTING GUARD JAMAL CRAWFORD
AT SMALL FORWARD QUENTIN RICHARDSON
AT POWER FORWARD ZACH RANDOLPH
AT CENTER EDDY CURRY

MSG33 PresEnTs the KeY MatChuP: Joe Johnson vs Jamal Crawford

basketballjohnson.jpg

crawford7_090707dwpg.jpg

knicks101.jpg

crawford-thumb.jpg

Jamal Crawford

Yes, Crawford deserves credit for his offensive officiency over the last 5 games. His turnovers are high and his defense is terrible, but on offense he has been gettin the job done. Lets take a look at his numbers from the 5 most recent games:

41mpg
24.8ppg
46.6fg%
36.2% 3PT
5.2apg
3rpg
.6spg
3.6topg

Even the shooting percentages are good this time. I would still like to see the 3PT% higher, but the fg% is as high as it will get when your talkin about Crawford. Thats a good percentage for any shooting guard.

8.4 field goals made per game
18 field goals attempted per game

3.4 3PT made per game
9.4 3PT attempted per game

One last quick note, Crawford has attempted 47 3pointers and 25 freethrows over the last 5 games. He has hit 23 out of 25 free throws.

Joe Johnson (Last 5 Games)

39mpg
20ppg
46.8fg%
57.7% 3PT
6.4apg
5.8rpg
1spg
3.8topg

While Joe Johnson needs to cut back on the turnovers, the rest of his numbers would be welcomed on the Knicks. He does an excellent job of gettin his teammates involved, rebounding, and scoring. Crawford cannot guard Joe Johnson, but can Joe Johnson guard Crawford? Its not really a matter of an opponent stopping Crawford, Crawford stops himself by not going to the basket enough and having a poor shot selection.

The Official MSG33 Pregame Strategy:
  • Box Out!!!!! Rebounds: ATL-10th(42.4rpg) NYK-17th(41.8rpg)
  • Look to establish either Curry or Randolph early in the game
  • If Josh Smith is too elusive for Q-Rich, bring Balkman off the bench
  • Dont forget they have Mike Bibby now

Player Spotlight

spotlight_title.gif

Quentin Richardson slowly continues to get better and better. Known for not backing down, Q has had the right mentality this year. Hes been a step slow but his dunk against the Bobcats on Wednesday was a good sign as he went up strong.

Quentin_Richardson_encesta_durante_encuentro.jpg

quentinrichardson_jpg_w300h334.jpg

Quentin Richardson-February Stats

• 28.8mpg
  • 10.2ppg
  • 43.4fg%
  • 45.5% 3PT
  • 4.6rpg
  • 1.4apg
  • .9spg

Over the last 5 games, hes averaging 11 points per game. The Knicks as a team are in desperate need of defense. Earlier in the season Q was too slow to play and defense and he couldnt make a shot. Now hes shootin better and playing more defense. He's still not the player from last year, but its good to see him contributing again.

Eastern Conference Standings

1. Celtics(44-12)
  2. Pistons(42-16)-3GB
  3. Magic(37-23)-9GB
  4. Raptors(32-24)12GB
  5. Cavs(32-26)-13GB
  6. Wizards(27-30)17.5GB
  7. 76ers(26-32)19GB
  8. Nets(25-32)19.5GB
  9. Hawks(23-32)20.5GB
  10. Bulls(23-34)21.5GB
  11. Bucks(22-35)22.5GB
  12. Pacers(22-36)23.5GB
  13. Bobcats(19-38)25.5GB
  14. Knicks(18-39)26.5GB
  15. Heat(10-44)33GB

The Official Playoff Race: Knicks are 7 games out

• The Magic have held down the #3 spot for a while, keeping the distance between 8 and 9 games
  • The 76ers have climbed to the #7 spot, many thought they would be the only bad team in the Eastern Conference
  • Miami Sucks
  • The Knicks Suck
  • The Bulls suck

Lets look at what is the opposite of the standings, the race for the worst record in the league. Suprisingly the Knicks managed to somehow be in the hunt for both the #8 spot in the playoffs and the worst record in the league. One outcome is much more likely then the other.

1. Heat(10-44)
  2. Timberwolves(12-44)1GB
  3. Grizzlies(14-43)2.5GB
  4. Sonics(15-42)3.5GB
  5. Knicks(18-39)6.5GB
  6. Bobcats(19-38)7.5GB
  7. Clippers(19-36)8.5GB
  8. Pacers(21-36)10GB
  9. Bucks(12-35)10.5GB
  10. Bulls(23-34)11.5GB
  11. Hawks(23-32)12.5GB
  12. Nets(25-32)13.5GB
  13. 76ers(26-32)13GB
  14. Kings(26-31)18.5GB

The Knicks are 7 Games away from having the #8 spot in the playoffs, and 6.5 games away from having the worst record.

The 76ers and Nets are currently 7th and 8th in the East, but both of them are in the lottery having the 12th and 13th worst records. Has this ever happened before?

Out of the 14 teams with the worst records, 9 of them are Eastern Conference teams.

Lets compare numbers from the first 4 months of the NBA season.

November(5-11):Opponents Points per game=101.5
93.1ppg,43.4rpg,17apg,42.9fg%,32.2%3P,70.2FT%,6.9spg,3.2bpg

December(3-11):Opponents Points per game=102.6
94.6ppg,41.3rpg,16.4apg,42.6fg%,33.1%3P,70.7FT%,6.7spg,1.5bpg

January(6-10):Opponents Points per game=98.8
96.4ppg,40.4rpg,21.3apg,46.1fg%,35.2%3P,74.4FT%,5.8spg,2.2bpg

February(4-8):Opponents Points per game=101.75
97.3ppg,42.4rpg,19.8apg,44.7fg%,33.3%3P,76FT%,5.7spg,2.5bpg

What stands out to me is that Marcus Camby is almost blocking 4 shots a game while the Knicks are averaging only 2.5 blocks per game for the month of February. In December, the Knciks only blocked 1.5 shots per game.

Hawks Top 3 Point shooters
  1. Tyronn Lue-43.5%
  2. Mike Bibby-39.4%
  3. Joe Johnson-37.4%
  4. Salim Stoudamire-29.8%
  5. Josh Childress-29.4%
  6. Josh Smith-24.3%

Tyronn Lue only plays 17 minutes per game, so hopefully he doesnt have enough time to cause alot of damage from the perimeter against the Knicks. His numbers will drop with the acquisition of Mike Bibby. The Knicks will have problems defendin Joe Johnson, not just from 3 point range.

Josh Smith is an extremely athletic young player who can give Q-Rich alot of problems. The Knicks mite look to go to Balkman, but Smith is stronger, taller, and even more athletic then Balkman. The Hawks should be a lock for the playoffs with Mike Bibby, they have good players at every position and there bench isnt too bad.

Rookie Al Horford has been a force down low, .7 points away from averaging a double double. Hes also blockin 1 shot a game, not to far behind the entire Knicks team. Smith is blocking an impressive 3.11 shots per game, thats more then the entire Knicks team. Marvin Williams is a solid all around player, who can give the Knicks matchup problems if he plays. Williams is built like a sf but the Hawks play small ball, because of their athleticism. They will be one of the funnest teams to watch for a long time.

Josh childress is a 6'8" 210 pound small forward, who can also play the guard positions. Hes an efficient scorer who also hellps out on the boards. The Knicks will have their hands full with the athletic, versatile Hawks who are better then their record indicates.

Throwback HipHop Video of the Day:

Artist:Outkast
Title:SouthernPlayalisticCadillacFunkyMusic
Album:SouthernPlayalisticCadillacMusic
Original Release Date: April 26, 1994

southernplayalistic.jpg

Knicks upcoming Schedule:

• Fri, Feb 29 @ Atlanta 7:30 pm ET
  • Sat, Mar 1 @ Orlando 7:00 pm ET
  • Mon, Mar 3 vs New Orleans 7:30 pm ET
  • Wed, Mar 5 vs Cleveland 7:30 pm ET
  • Fri, Mar 7 vs Detroit 7:30 pm ET
  • Sat, Mar 8 vs Portland 7:30 pm ET

That does it for my pregame show. I thank everyone for joining me and remember to tune in Friday night to catch the Knicks and the Hawks.

Last edited:

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
No way...I want them to lose lose lose so Dolan can finally fire Isiah and we can have a good chance of winning the lottery.

Starks

Starter
I haven't seen them play with Bibby yet. It may be a minute before they start to gel. I wonder if Bibby is in their long term plans though,

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Good game thread, I voted for Marcus Camby, only because of his shot blocking. I think Boruc Bowen should have been a part of that list. He might not average much steals, or blocks, but he is a force that is not on the stat list.

Oh yeah, Marvin Williams I can't believe he got picked second over Deron Wiliiams, CP3, and Felton. That draft was always favoring Andrew Bogut too, by the way.
1.Bogut
2.Williams
3.D.Williams
4.CP3
5.Felton
Should be
1.CP3... in the Bucks.. zzzz. They did have Mo Williams but they did needs a center.
2.D. Williams for the Hawks. That would really help, now that they have Al Horford.
3.Felton Jazz
4.Bynum
5.Bogut

15th. Marvin Williams

He isnt that bad but this is worse.
1st LeBron.
2nd Milicic DET.
3rd Anthony....
4th. Bosh.
5h. Wade.
How did Milicic get up there ????

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Good game thread, I voted for Marcus Camby, only because of his shot blocking. I think Boruc Bowen should have been a part of that list. He might not average much steals, or blocks, but he is a force that is not on the stat list.

Oh yeah, Marvin Williams I can't believe he got picked second over Deron Wiliiams, CP3, and Felton. That draft was always favoring Andrew Bogut too, by the way.
1.Bogut
2.Williams
3.D.Williams
4.CP3
5.Felton
Should be
1.CP3... in the Bucks.. zzzz. They did have Mo Williams but they did needs a center.
2.D. Williams for the Hawks. That would really help, now that they have Al Horford.
3.Felton Jazz
4.Bynum
5.Bogut

15th. Marvin Williams

He isnt that bad but this is worse.
1st LeBron.
2nd Milicic DET.
3rd Anthony....
4th. Bosh.
5h. Wade.
How did Milicic get up there ????

lol Milicic is a backup center at best. He has some shot blockin ability but thats about it. Now that I think about it,
Milicic>>>Curry

Hes not greater then all the other players in that draft.

My poll has to do with a recent argument, its for pf's and centers only. I realized after i shouldve put Yao ming on there. I know i did a similar poll recently, I think it was askin whos the best big man in the NBA. Since I limited it to defense, now Marcus Camby has become an option.

Camby is arguably the best defensive big man in the league, he did get defensive player of the year last year even though he deserved it the past 2 years. Maybe he'll get it again this year, almost blockin 4 shots a game.

nyKnicks126

I actually think Yao sometimes is a softy like 3 years ago or his rookie year. Thanks to Patrick Ewing, and Van Gundy he actually got better defensively a 2 years ago and now.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree, he is soft at times. Not as bad as he use to be, thanks to the former knicks you mentioned. We need them to toughen up Curry.

nyKnicks126

as you heard from Metro, and his post, and the medias, its impossible, Eddy Curry will not change. Randolph Morris should at least get 8 minutes a game, or is he out with some injury?

Pricey

Rotation player
Atlanta looked good against the Kings yesterday. I am torn between winning and trying to get Isiah fired.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
as you heard from Metro, and his post, and the medias, its impossible, Eddy Curry will not change. Randolph Morris should at least get 8 minutes a game, or is he out with some injury?

I think its unlikely that curry will toughen up, but if he had someone mean and tough like Oakley workin with him, maybe we would see some small changes.

Its hard to tell whats goin on with Morris, he just sits on the bench collectin dust. Isiah is gonna have to wipe him down (no homo) whenever he decides to play him.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I voted for Marcus Camby. I think everyone on the list would be great for the Knicks, though, and everyone on the list is a very good defender.The Knicks have had a lot of interesting games against Atlanta, in recent years. For some reason, both teams have been very competitive against each other. I'm a Knick fan, so I'm gonna say the Knicks win. But to be honest, I have no idea how this one will turn out.Both teams have some scorers and both teams have injuries(Marvin Williams day-to-day and Josh Childress; Knicks Marbury).This one should be very interesting.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think Atlantas gonna run up the score on us.

The Official MSG33 Pregame Prediction: Hawks 112 Knicks 86

Cambys takin this poll, last years defensive player of the year. Will he get it again this year? Almost 4 blocks a game, and over 14 rebounds per game.........I think so.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
It wont be pretty

Anyone got predictions on this game?

Thanks MSGKnickz33, i think the knicks will keep it close until halftime. Atlanta is a very athletic team that likes to run and i think they are going to run the knicks out of Phillips Arena tonight. Game Score Prediction- Hawks:115 - Knicks:94. I cant watch tonight, i have to work so i hoping for the best. As always- GO KNICKS!!!!!

D-Lee42Fan

naterob4

Benchwarmer
Tim Duncan sucks at defense. Watched him last night looked so slow on d getting burned for dunks all night. Atlanta shouldnt have much trouble with this one, specially with our slow frontcourt. 106-94 Atl.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Tim Duncan sucks at defense. Watched him last night looked so slow on d getting burned for dunks all night. Atlanta shouldnt have much trouble with this one, specially with our slow frontcourt. 106-94 Atl.

I thought I saw him with a highlight block on a fastbreak, maybe that was a couple nights ago. I think hes a good defender but not as good as KG, Dwight, and Camby.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Predictions: Knicks win
Score: Knicks 100 Atlanta 99
Crawford chucks a shot, misses, and Nate Robinson catches the rebound and gets a buzzer beater.