Over weight outta shape players

stevie

Benchwarmer
I have a serious question for you guys. Hopefully one of you is a lawyer and can give a real answer. I would think when a pro athlete signs a contract he is expected to give a reasonable amount of effort to be able to play at the highest level.
For example when Jerome James signed his contract and then showed up to camp so out of shape that he could barely move up and down the court. Wouldnt he void the contract because he didnt do his part to be in a REASONABLy fit position to play.

I just put reasonable in caps because 10-15 pounds is within reason. But guys like james who showed up easily 20-30 pounds outta shape sounds a bit much to me.

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You bring up an excellent topic. I give this thread 5 stars. My answer to you is this: Isiah Thomas is stupid. A few years ago, while Chris Childs was on the Nets, they suspended him for being out of shape.Andre Miller was punished for being out of shape, while he played in Denver. Isiah could easily suspend Curry, James, and Richardson for being fat, cause he has so much power with the titles of GM and Coach.He just chooses not to, cause he's currupt. He has a hidden agenda which is to keep his job and f#@k New York.Meaning if his roster is fat and out of shape, it's a-ok, as long as it doesn't effect his job status.I would include Zach Randolph, cause he's fat as hell, too, but at least his points and rebounds are up to par.

stevie

Benchwarmer
I dont want to take it to the level of Curry, Randolph and Q because they are in some kind of reasonable shape to play. It may not be the best shape but a reasonable shape. As far as James goes, from what I understand after he signed the big contract with the Knicks he showed up so outta shape that he couldnt play at all. Then I truly believe this is directly responsible for his constant injuries.

I am really curious because I know when you sign a contract you dont need a clause there are some duties that both parties are supposed to do. And I would imagine when you sign an athlete part of his reasonable duty. is to show up in the minimal amount of shape to perform reasonable duties.

paris401

Starter
i disagree.. its not jerome or eddie's fault that they are both over-weight..

put the blame where it belongs.... i put the blame squarely on ...burger-king if their burgers weren't so tasty, we would not be having this conversation...

dre48ny

Rotation player
I think it's up to the coach as well. If he sees his player are getting larger and does not stress anything in regard, they will keep eating largely. A coach that really cares will get in their face, talk to personal trainers to enforce a diet, as well as make them work out hard!! There is simply no excuse for athletes to get so fat!! I never thought I would see the athletic Shawn Kemp reach 300 pounds!!! There is no excuse, they are athletes getting paid big time!! It would be nice to have a clause to ensure that they will be under a certain weight and pass certain tests monthly to live up to the contract. This way players know they have to stay in shape or they either get suspended, fined, or simply lose money. Jerome James is a disgrace. He gets paid big time, even though he knows he's a scrub. Comes into camp out of shape and can't even play. Now he cries for playing time. I don't know if any team will trade for him, but this is one player I agree should be cut. Terrible conditioning and horrible skills.

metrocard

Legend
I take courses on coaching, one of the primary responsibilities of the coach is to make sure his or her players are in shape, well conditioned and have a healthy diet with the proper nutrition needed for an 82 game NBA season.

It seems like Isiah has failed the basics of being a coach in the NBA.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I dont want to take it to the level of Curry, Randolph and Q because they are in some kind of reasonable shape to play. It may not be the best shape but a reasonable shape. As far as James goes, from what I understand after he signed the big contract with the Knicks he showed up so outta shape that he couldnt play at all. Then I truly believe this is directly responsible for his constant injuries.

I am really curious because I know when you sign a contract you dont need a clause there are some duties that both parties are supposed to do. And I would imagine when you sign an athlete part of his reasonable duty. is to show up in the minimal amount of shape to perform reasonable duties.
I disagree. Curry is about 20-25 pounds out of shape. Even Kenny Smith was saying it during the Atlanta Hawks game. Quote:"Curry should be more like 265." And I saw Curry last year. He was in much better shape then. He looked about 15 pounds lighter, and he had more muscle. Curry is not in reasonable shape.Jerome James is the fattest of the group, but he's only slightly fatter than Curry.

swagger.B

Rookie
hahahha

i disagree.. its not jerome or eddie's fault that they are both over-weight..

put the blame where it belongs.... i put the blame squarely on ...burger-king if their burgers weren't so tasty, we would not be having this conversation...

that was hilarious and true

paris401

Starter
I disagree. Curry is about 20-25 pounds out of shape. Even Kenny Smith was saying it during the Atlanta Hawks game. Quote:"Curry should be more like 265." And I saw Curry last year. He was in much better shape then. He looked about 15 pounds lighter, and he had more muscle. Curry is not in reasonable shape.Jerome James is the fattest of the group, but he's only slightly fatter than Curry.

i dunno about 20-25 lbs... howard and wide-load are very close in height and dwight is listed at 265 . last nite when howard and wide-load were side by side, it looks like a lot more then 20-25lbs... i'd say curry is tipping the scales nearto 310/315..

he is one fat fuk...

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I remember Tractor Taylor! was out of shape, but he had the work ethic, same goes for Larry Johnson, he wasn't the fittest player on the court, but he did work in games, was a leader, served his team well, listened to the coach, played minutes in the early years in Charlotte, and mid years in NY. But Curry abuses his body by over eating, and not having the work ethic, he is only 26 years old. 285 pounds, thats bad. I wonder if Chicago thought about that when they drafted him.. The bad part is he won't try its only about the $$$$$$ for him. Z Bo is 260. But his timing on the rebounds is superb, in most cases.

Having a good diet, and maintaining in good condition is so important, for not only Basketball, but for other sports that require a lot of running like Soccer, I never seen a overweight soccer player play professional soccer.

Just a heads up question, WHY does Jamal Crawford wear that pad on his shoulder for like 3 months now?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
i dunno about 20-25 lbs... howard and wide-load are very close in height and dwight is listed at 265 . last nite when howard and wide-load were side by side, it looks like a lot more then 20-25lbs... i'd say curry is tipping the scales nearto 310/315..

he is one fat fuk...
I agree. Curry looks a lot fatter now than he did at the beginning of the season, or like how he did last season. It seems like he gets fatter by the day.I honestly think Curry is 325. They just don't want to humiliate him, so they keep him listed at 285.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Just a heads up question, WHY does Jamal Crawford wear that pad on his shoulder for like 3 months now?
Jamal Crawford wears that pad for good luck. I'm just guessing, cause it looks like he changes the tape on the pad from time to time. He seriously needs to take it off, though, cause he's playing the same as he always does. His field goal percentages are low and his defense sucks.Every once in a while, he has a big game, but he usually has poor shot selection. He does that with the pad, and he did it without the pad. That pad looks kind of like a soap bar. lol

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Jamal Crawford wears that pad for good luck. I'm just guessing, cause it looks like he changes the tape on the pad from time to time. He seriously needs to take it off, though, cause he's playing the same as he always does. His field goal percentages are low and his defense sucks.Every once in a while, he has a big game, but he usually has poor shot selection. He does that with the pad, and he did it without the pad. That pad looks kind of like a soap bar. lol

c/s, hes gotta stop wearin it. I think it makes him look soft, which is already known hes marketing his softness.

Kiyaman

Legend
When Jerome James first showed up to camp out of shape Rookie Nate Robinson got on his case everyday untill it lead into a Fight.
When Eddy Curry past the physical and showed up to a team practice during the Preseason Nate Robinson refuse to pass him the ball because he could not keep up.

This made Coach Larry Brown admitt publically to the Media that his best Center on the Knicks were Rookie Jackie Butler.
Which prove to be true everytime Butler backed up Curry or James.
Jackie Butler was the only reliable Center that Larry Brown had to give playingtime to in the 4th quarter.

It was nothing new to the NBA or the Knicks organization that Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, and Q.Richardson, for the last two previous seasons before becomming a Knick showed up on their other teams to training-camp way out of shape.
Last season Jared Jefferies first time in a Knick Training Camp showed up out of shape and had to workout from October till December to get his first playingtime as a Knick.

So this POST is aimed at the POOR Knick Management and Poor Coaching-Staff the Knicks have employed...