Is Mark Jackson right for the Knicks?

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
knicks need something fresh,and with a coach wit no coachin experience comes without any expectations, mark jackson is perfect

Last edited:

CoolClyde

Knicks Family

The Knicks had 2 hall of fame players/coaches try to shine the terd (sic) that Zeke shat. Wilkins and Brown did not have much time to accomplish this task, and were run out of town by Dumbdolan/Thomas. Don't forget, Jeff Van Gundy QUIT, more than likely due to Dumbdolan influence. We had a team that went to the Finals, and would have had a better chance of winning had Ewing not been hurt. Since then, things have gone downhill, no?

We need a fresh start. Bringin in Donnie Darko and getting rid of Zeke is a nice start. I believe Walsh will do his due diligence and hire the right guy for the mix. Whether that's Mark Jackson, Patrick Ewing, Herb Williams, Tom Thib or Avery Johnson, it can't be worse than what we've gone thru the past few years.

I would root for Mark Jackson, as he's a smart guy, one of the best pointguards EVER, and a NY Knick thru and thru. JVG, the last coach to take the Knicks to the Finals, has given MJ his vote of approval, and he knows Mark well. It's basketball sensibility that the NY Knicks need, and there's no better man for the job than Mark Jackson.

If Donnie Darko brings in a big man (something Zeke was clueless about), then Ewing is the ass't we need. I would vote for Jackson over Ewing any day for head coach, as Jackson was running the show when he played NY ball.

Bring in Frazier as defensive coach, and you've got a NY Knick coaching staff that would provide incentive, history and the smarts long lacking in this hood.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
datruth, thats exactly what we need, and its true what you said, someone that never coached before will learn with the team, and the teams needs, Isiah wanted to make the team something that it isn't. I wonder who Walsh is going to bring in because Jackson is a good fit here in New York.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
In fairness Larry Bird thinks Jackson would be a great fit in NY and I know how much we all value Bird's opinion.
I aint go no love for the Bird man, F*ck him

Jackson will be fine here, Van Gundy said he is a match in New York, even Bird said it.
AS for Bird see above, Jeff Van Gundy is the man no homo. If Van Gundy says Mark Jackson is good for the job i believe him. He is very smart when he broadcasts and hes also hilarious. I have never heard anyone as funny as him. Jeff Van Gundy is that dude no homo.

datruth, thats exactly what we need, and its true what you said, someone that never coached before will learn with the team, and the teams needs, Isiah wanted to make the team something that it isn't. I wonder who Walsh is going to bring in because Jackson is a good fit here in New York.
Im on the same page as both of you. I think Mark Jackson as a player had a high basketball iq. Hes one of the best passers and i think he will share his knowledge the same way he shared the ball as a player. He might not be a multiple all-star nba 1st team type of player but he was very smart and kept himself in good shape. He was never the fastest player which is what prevented him from being great but it didnt really matter, he still knew how to make a big impact by settin up his teammates with great passes.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Mark Jackson:Knicks fans were "just like rats. They're the first ones to jump off the

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...4-26_media_giving_mark_jackson_free_pass.html

This article raises a good question. If it were another guy other than Mark Jackson, with no coaching experience, would there be more media scrutiny - and more questions asked - concerning his qualifications to fix the Knicks? My pick is Herb but there are better options out there ranging from Avery Johnson and George Carl to Rick Carlisle, Flip Saunder and Chuck Person, all of which have more experience then Mark or Herb. Why haven't any of them received an interview? (Flip, Avery and George 'could' be fired if they are eliminated from the first round.) This reminds me of how Dolan only interviewed Walsh as president and closed the door on Jerry West and Jerry Colangelo who both have better success rates than Walsh.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Personally, I wouldn't have more scrutiny over someone else that didn't have coaching experience, as long as they're defensive minded, have leadership abilility, they've played in the NBA, are strict enough to discipline the team, and they get interviewed for the job first. I think it's important for all of us to remember that the Knicks are in rebuilding mode. Whether you like it or not, the Knicks are not going to make the playoffs, or even get 35 wins, until at least 2010. Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas did too much damage for the franchise to be repaired in just 1 year. That's exactly why it doesn't matter if our coach has experience or not. What good is that going to do, if the team is still going to lose? We need people that have patience. Being that Mark Jackson has never coached, he will most likely have the patience needed to be successful in New York.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Whoever they bring in, i'll root for them no matter what until they do something stupid 2 fuck shit up, but it really baffles my mind why you guys and the media think Mark Jackson should be the one leading this team. The things said that back up this point are things like he was a great point guard great leader (Zeke was a better point guard better leader, where did that get him as a head coach??) he has great insight when he calls the games, okay he does color commentary, if he didnt have great insight he'd be out of a job(basically he's doing what he's suppose to do) and he's a true knick .. Well Patrick is a truer knick AND he has proven that he's an effective coach in the nba. Patricj can't get no love??? look @ his track record on coaching alone.

As far as Herb goes, the entire asst. coach staff sucks.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Personally, I wouldn't have more scrutiny over someone else that didn't have coaching experience, as long as they're defensive minded, have leadership abilility, they've played in the NBA, are strict enough to discipline the team, and they get interviewed for the job first. I think it's important for all of us to remember that the Knicks are in rebuilding mode. Whether you like it or not, the Knicks are not going to make the playoffs, or even get 35 wins, until at least 2010. Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas did too much damage for the franchise to be repaired in just 1 year. That's exactly why it doesn't matter if our coach has experience or not. What good is that going to do, if the team is still going to lose? We need people that have patience. Being that Mark Jackson has never coached, he will most likely have the patience needed to be successful in New York.

How do you determine if a candidate is strict enough to discipline a team if they've never coached? Didn't Isiah Thomas as a player have all the qualities you mentioned? Let's not fool our selves into thinking this situation can't get any worse. The premise of the argument that we're not going to make the playoffs any way so why bother about getting the best available coach is unfathomable. The goal is to stay get under the cap in 2010 and be competitive now! At this point I'm really hoping all of these stories are just rumors. If not, I've really got to question what Walsh is thinking even considering Jackson and Smith for lead positions. This is the equivalent of a college kid being hired as a VP because of a high GPA.

Blas

Benchwarmer
So how many times are we going to give low credintial people chances?

I see no problem in hiring Marc Jackson as an assistant coach to let him get some experience. This isn't some movie or story where some guy with zero coaching experience will all of a sudden turn this team around and win a championship in 2 years!

If we are in for the long haul, then we should have some patience and build properly.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown both had coaching experience, prior to coaching the Knicks, and they both failed. Nobody said the Knicks will win a championship in 2 years. I actually implied that the Knicks will not even get to the playoffs next year, which is the most likely scenario. I also said the Knicks might not even make it in 2010. I said that the team has to slowly rebuild, which is true. A coach can have all the experience they want. If the team doesn't have the chemistry, heart, and defense, they will continue to lose.

I don't know a coach in this galaxy that can make Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, and Quentin Richardson get us to the playoffs.

I agree that Mark Jackson would be better as an assistant coach, but if Patrick Ewing doesn't apply for the job in New York, then I'd give it to Mark. The only other people that have applied for the Knick coaching job is Greg Anthony and Kenny Smith. Neither of those guys have coaching experience, either, so why not pick the best out of the 3? I know there's a possibility that Avery Johnson will get fired, but why hire the same guy that hit a game winning jump shot to beat the Knicks in the 99 Finals? That makes no sense to me. Walt Frazier is also rumored to be a candidate, but that's just a rumor. It might not even be true.

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I saw it in Mark Jacksons face yesterday when he was commentating one of the playoff games. He looks like he is dazzed off, and thinking about the Knicks, seriously I think he has the job wrapped up.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I really wanted Patrick Ewing to be the head coach, but he probably still wants to work with Dwight Howard.

I know nobody has pointed this out, but Donnie Walsh's decision to make Mark Jackson head coach might have to do with the fact that Jackson is a former Pacer. Isiah Thomas might also still have a job with the organization, because Thomas and Walsh are friends, and they worked together in Indiana.

I smell more corruption within the Knick franchise. lol

Blas

Benchwarmer
Scott had no credentials to be a GM. Isiah had no credentials to be a GM, and crappy ones to be a coach. Now we have Marc Jackson that has little or even no credentials to be a coach. So again, how many more unqualified people are we going to give chances to? How many times are we going to go through another cycle of disaster?

No one here has given a great argument as to why Marc Jackson should be the next knicks coach. You can't. He doesn't have anything on paper to show he can do the job.

Hiring him is basically having faith he can do something. That is all.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
You guys are right. We should get a coach and GM with good credentials. Even though we won't be winning anytime soon, it is important to build a solid foundation. The coach must be able to get their players to play hard and the right way every game. However, if we had to choose a coach or GM without experience, how is Greg Anthony's name not pop up? To play devil's advocate, Avery Johnson did not have any credentials before he was given the head coach position. Despite last years first round upset, I thought he's done a good job.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Avery started out as a player coach to assistant coach to head coach under the tutoring of Nelson. That is much more then what Marc Jackson has to offer.

But you are right, Avery still didn't have the best credentials to be a head coach and still did a great job. But he also inherited a good team.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Mark Jackson is interviewing for the Bulls job also. Me personally I would rather have a guy with some experience. Esp. with our roster. If Steph is still there how in the world can a guy with no experience coach handle a malcontent like Steph who didn't respect a hall of fame player(Zeke) or coach (LB). Seems like a bad fit to me even though I like Mark Jackson. My choice would be Hubie Brown even though Hubie is not crazy enough to take the job. If a player couldn't respect Hubie as a coach than he should turn in his sneakers immediatly. My second choice would be Nellie if he decides to leave Golden State. With our no defense playin, no ball sharin mentality Nellie's system would be perfect. Or we could always bring back Jeff Van Gundy or get the "Czar" Mike Fratello. Get the picture. Someone with the experience to handle all the over inflated egos on our roster.

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
iam kind of mad at walsh because he hasent metion patrick i want him as head coach he got experience and he as showed some big guys hot to play like howard and yao they should put him as head coach and jackson on one of the assitent iam mad because walsh is looking more on jackson because he is a great friend with him remember all those years in indiana