Gay G (The big Dip-sh1t) Wins defensive player of the year

Who should have won the defensive player of the year award?

• KG, the right man got it

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Marcus Camby

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Dwight Howard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tim Duncan

• Kobe Bryant

• Chris Paul

• Ron Artest

• Josh Smith

• Raja Bell

• Shane Battier

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Garnett Wins defensive player of the year

And he also wins the F@g of the year award. Sometimes when he slaps/pushes/touches his teammates he looks like hes enjoying it. He gets that big grin on his face.

I said Marcus camby deserved this award but im not sure if KG...excuse me, Gay G or camby deserved it. The Big Dip-shit gets alotta help from Perkins, Pierce, and ......i gotta say rondo. Leon Powe and James Posey can come off the bench and make a big impact on defense for the Celtics as well. They have alotta good defenders and they play a great team defense. Im just not sure if KG is the best defender. I think if he was still out west and had to guard players like Tim Duncan more often he would be more exposed for not being as strong as other big men in the league.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I thought Josh Smith should have won it, because of the defensive impact he has on the Hawks. The Hawks would not be in the playoffs, if not for Smith's defense. Apparently, I'm wrong, though. Another one goes to Gay G.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I thought Josh Smith should have won it, because of the defensive impact he has on the Hawks. The Hawks would not be in the playoffs, if not for Smith's defense. Apparently, I'm wrong, though. Another one goes to Gay G.
Its a close one, i gotta admit im not really sure who deserves it. I forgot to add Bruce Bowen to the list, i apologize to anyone who wouldve voted for him. Josh Smith did help the Hawks make the playoffs with his good defense and great shot blocking ability. Chris Paul played great defense for the Hornets and so did Kobe for the Lakers. Kobe finished 4th i believe in the vote for defensive player of the year.

Because of how great the celtics play defense as a team the entire team has to get credit. Its hard to determine who has the most impact but i will say ray allen is the worst defender in the celtics starting 5 not that hes bad but hes not garnett, peirce, rondo, or perkins.

If you go by stats Camby is the clear leader because of his rebounding and shot blocking.

This year for me at least its a tough call. Theres alotta players who i think are worthy of it.

Are you two insane? haha The Celtics have been phenomenal on the D this year and nobody is more responsible for that then Garnett. He deserved this award and Battier deserved to be second.

As for the other two the Nuggets are horrible defensively and the Hawks aren't that much better. Josh Smith gets his blocks but the rest of his defense is poor. Camby as was the knock on him back in his Knick days, is a great team and help defender but because of his weight is a poor post and very soft man to man defender. If anybody watched Gasol on Sunday you would know what I'm talking about. Kenyon Martin is a far better man to man defender then Camby ever was or will be.

For the love of god please stop paying so much attention to stats when making judgments. Defense is the last place where numbers should be relevant.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
The right man won the award no question. Camby doesn't deserve to win it twice. He's got the stats but his team sucks defensively. Josh Smith still hasn't proven himself a great all-around defender. Right now when I think of Josh Smith I only think of him as a great shot-blocker. But I'd love to have him on our team cos I think in a couple of years he'll prove to be that all-around defender. Shane Battier deserved the votes he got. As for Bruce Bowen, dirty players should never win this award, though I haven't seen some dirty tactics from him as of late. So congratulations to KG.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Are you two insane? haha The Celtics have been phenomenal on the D this year and nobody is more responsible for that then Garnett. He deserved this award and Battier deserved to be second.

As for the other two the Nuggets are horrible defensively and the Hawks aren't that much better. Josh Smith gets his blocks but the rest of his defense is poor. Camby as was the knock on him back in his Knick days, is a great team and help defender but because of his weight is a poor post and very soft man to man defender. If anybody watched Gasol on Sunday you would know what I'm talking about. Kenyon Martin is a far better man to man defender then Camby ever was or will be.

For the love of god please stop paying so much attention to stats when making judgments. Defense is the last place where numbers should be relevant.

I ask that you be more respectful in the future when replying to sumthin i said. During the season i put hours into making game threads.

I am not insane, im more open minded then you and i have more knowledge from watching the celtics more then you. Still for some reason you label all my arguements as being backed by statistics.

My pops and my best friend are both celtics fans so after the Knicks the team that i watched the 2nd most was the celtics. I dont have a problem with KG gettin the award AS I SAID IN MY FIRST POST but I think theres other players who were equally deserving of it.

The celtics entire team plays great defense. They got Garnett, Perkins, Rondo, Pierce, Posey, and Leon Powe. Even Ray allen has done a nice job of playing within the team defense. KG has made a big impact on the celtics defense but how much of an impact? Thats tough to determine because of the other players who have also contibuted. KG is a good individual defender and an excellent team defender but is he the best? Thats a matter of opinion and strong arguements can be made for a couple other players.

Where are my stats? I dont see any stats in the paragraph above. You said im paying to much attention to stats. Whats annoying is I already said almost the exact same thing i just said above:

I said Marcus camby deserved this award but im not sure if KG...excuse me, Gay G or camby deserved it. The Big Dip-shit gets alotta help from Perkins, Pierce, and ......i gotta say rondo. Leon Powe and James Posey can come off the bench and make a big impact on defense for the Celtics as well. They have alotta good defenders and they play a great team defense. Im just not sure if KG is the best defender. I think if he was still out west and had to guard players like Tim Duncan more often he would be more exposed for not being as strong as other big men in the league.

I dont see no stats. I see an open minded individual who seems to know more about the celtics then you.

I brought up Tim Duncan because KG cant guard him he also had problems guarding amare in the 1st half of the most recent suns vs celtics game. KG admitted he had problems until he got more help and the celtics played more of a team defense in the 2nd half of that game. I think Tim duncan is just as good of a defender as KG. Maybe even better. Lets take a look at something you said:

Camby as was the knock on him back in his Knick days, is a great team and help defender but because of his weight is a poor post and very soft man to man defender.

I would not call kg a soft man to man defender but he isnt exactly that much heavier then Camby. Tim Duncan is stronger then both of them. Neither of them can defend Duncan. Kurt Thomas, not camby, did the best job of defendin Duncan last year in the playoffs. If KG was still out west people wouldnt had voted for him because of players like Duncan and Amare exposing him. Like I mentioned before KG gets alotta help from his team. Powe is an animal, no one seems to know anything about Perkins who is a very good defender.

Whats interesting is I continue to refer to Perkins as a good defender but stats dont back that up. Hes not blocking too many shots. Im tryin to help the blind.

I did mention stats vaguely in this post but I was showing an open mind looking at things from all angles as i did it.

Its a close one, i gotta admit im not really sure who deserves it. I forgot to add Bruce Bowen to the list, i apologize to anyone who wouldve voted for him. Josh Smith did help the Hawks make the playoffs with his good defense and great shot blocking ability. Chris Paul played great defense for the Hornets and so did Kobe for the Lakers. Kobe finished 4th i believe in the vote for defensive player of the year.

Because of how great the celtics play defense as a team the entire team has to get credit. Its hard to determine who has the most impact but i will say ray allen is the worst defender in the celtics starting 5 not that hes bad but hes not garnett, peirce, rondo, or perkins.

If you go by stats Camby is the clear leader because of his rebounding and shot blocking.

This year for me at least its a tough call. Theres alotta players who i think are worthy of it.

From a statistical perspective camby is the defensive player of the year but i didnt say from my perspective. Rebounding is a part of defense and Camby is the 2nd best at that. Obviously garnetts stats are deflated from playing on the celtics but we know from the past couple of years that KG isnt as good of a rebounder as camby, but not too far behind. KG never averaged close to the number of blocks camby did even when he was with minnesota.

Let me remind you I said at the beginning of my first post that im not sure if either KG or camby deserve the award, not that i have any problem with KG gettin it or camby if he had gotten it.

The Spurs only gave up .5 more points then the Celtics who were the best defensive team in the league. The Spurs didnt get Kurt Thomas until the trade deadline. I believe that KG has better defenders around him in Boston then Timmy D does in San Antonio. Bruce Bowen is still a very good defender but he has not been as good this year. I seen players go by him times, making him look old. Im not very impressed with Tony parkers one on one defense either. Ginobli is the man.

You see where im comin from? Im lookin at things very in depth. Stats have to be part of every arguement but most of my arguement has to do with what i observed throughout the season. KG is a very good defender and i got no issue with him winning. Im just sayin theres other players who also deserved the award and in my opinion Duncan is just as good/maybe a lil bit better then KG.

I dont like being labeled as someone whos arguements are 100% backed by stats. I think some people on here are jealous of how good i am with stats but i also watch alot of basketball. I did achieve a 99 average in my college statistics class a year ago but if you look at my game threads there was all kinds of knowledge dropped.

I stopped posting a youtube video everytime you said something to me because i felt like givin you one more chance. Jimmy didnt get that 2nd chance. Thats because he cant read at all, you can at least read some things all though you didnt do a good job here. Next time somethin like this happens you will get a youtube response everytime you respond to me.

--MSG33 (The Legend)

Last edited:
I ask that you be more respectful in the future when replying to sumthin i said. During the season i put hours into making game threads.

I am not insane, im more open minded then you and i have more knowledge from watching the celtics more then you. Still for some reason you label all my arguements as being backed by statistics.

My pops and my best friend are both celtics fans so after the Knicks the team that i watched the 2nd most was the celtics. I dont have a problem with KG gettin the award AS I SAID IN MY FIRST POST but I think theres other players who were equally deserving of it.

The celtics entire team plays great defense. They got Garnett, Perkins, Rondo, Pierce, Posey, and Leon Powe. Even Ray allen has done a nice job of playing within the team defense. KG has made a big impact on the celtics defense but how much of an impact? Thats tough to determine because of the other players who have also contibuted. KG is a good individual defender and an excellent team defender but is he the best? Thats a matter of opinion and strong arguements can be made for a couple other players.

Where are my stats? I dont see any stats in the paragraph above. You said im paying to much attention to stats. Whats annoying is I already said almost the exact same thing i just said above:

I dont see no stats. I see an open minded individual who seems to know more about the celtics then you.

I brought up Tim Duncan because KG cant guard him he also had problems guarding amare in the 1st half of the most recent suns vs celtics game. KG admitted he had problems until he got more help and the celtics played more of a team defense in the 2nd half of that game. I think Tim duncan is just as good of a defender as KG. Maybe even better. Lets take a look at something you said:

I would not call kg a soft man to man defender but he isnt exactly that much heavier then Camby. Tim Duncan is stronger then both of them. Neither of them can defend Duncan. Kurt Thomas, not camby, did the best job of defendin Duncan last year in the playoffs. If KG was still out west people wouldnt had voted for him because of players like Duncan and Amare exposing him. Like I mentioned before KG gets alotta help from his team. Powe is an animal, no one seems to know anything about Perkins who is a very good defender.

Whats interesting is I continue to refer to Perkins as a good defender but stats dont back that up. Hes not blocking too many shots. Im tryin to help the blind.

I did mention stats vaguely in this post but I was showing an open mind looking at things from all angles as i did it.

From a statistical perspective camby is the defensive player of the year but i didnt say from my perspective. Rebounding is a part of defense and Camby is the 2nd best at that. Obviously garnetts stats are deflated from playing on the celtics but we know from the past couple of years that KG isnt as good of a rebounder as camby, but not too far behind. KG never averaged close to the number of blocks camby did even when he was with minnesota.

Let me remind you I said at the beginning of my first post that im not sure if either KG or camby deserve the award, not that i have any problem with KG gettin it or camby if he had gotten it.

The Spurs only gave up .5 more points then the Celtics who were the best defensive team in the league. The Spurs didnt get Kurt Thomas until the trade deadline. I believe that KG has better defenders around him in Boston then Timmy D does in San Antonio. Bruce Bowen is still a very good defender but he has not been as good this year. I seen players go by him times, making him look old. Im not very impressed with Tony parkers one on one defense either. Ginobli is the man.

You see where im comin from? Im lookin at things very in depth. Stats have to be part of every arguement but most of my arguement has to do with what i observed throughout the season. KG is a very good defender and i got no issue with him winning. Im just sayin theres other players who also deserved the award and in my opinion Duncan is just as good/maybe a lil bit better then KG.

I dont like being labeled as someone whos arguements are 100% backed by stats. I think some people on here are jealous of how good i am with stats but i also watch alot of basketball. I did achieve a 99 average in my college statistics class a year ago but if you look at my game threads there was all kinds of knowledge dropped.

I stopped posting a youtube video everytime you said something to me because i felt like givin you one more chance. Jimmy didnt get that 2nd chance. Thats because he cant read at all, you can at least read some things all though you didnt do a good job here. Next time somethin like this happens you will get a youtube response everytime you respond to me.

--MSG33 (The Legend)

Never seen a guy pat himself on the back more then you. Nevertheless Garnett is an awesome defensive player and everything they do defensively is as a result of him being there. Duncan's a great defender, player and arguably the best power forward who ever played the game so you're not getting an argument from me there but much like K.G., Duncan's presence allows the Spurs to do what they have to do. The Spurs are an excellent defensive team but as an aside, people forget how good they are offensively.

As far as the Camby, K.G. comparison according to their list weights Garnett outweighs him by 20 pounds. In truth I wouldn't be surprised if it's more but we'll stick to that and that is a lot of difference. I guarantee you that there's no way that Gasol would abuse Garnett like he has Camby.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Never seen a guy pat himself on the back more then you. Nevertheless Garnett is an awesome defensive player and everything they do defensively is as a result of him being there. Duncan's a great defender, player and arguably the best power forward who ever played the game so you're not getting an argument from me there but much like K.G., Duncan's presence allows the Spurs to do what they have to do. The Spurs are an excellent defensive team but as an aside, people forget how good they are offensively.

As far as the Camby, K.G. comparison according to their list weights Garnett outweighs him by 20 pounds. In truth I wouldn't be surprised if it's more but we'll stick to that and that is a lot of difference. I guarantee you that there's no way that Gasol would abuse Garnett like he has Camby.

espn.com and nba.com both have camby listed at 235 pounds. Nba.com says KG weighs 220 pounds, espn.com say KG weighs 253 pounds. My guess would be KG weighs 240-245 pounds.

Gasol played good last night but not as good as he did in game 1. Camby played much better grabbing 17 rebounds and blocking 4 shots. Sir Charles pointed out that since Kenyon martin is guarding kobe camby has no help down low. Kmart and camby are the only 2 players that play defense on the nuggets. Denver has no team defense. They remind of golden state. Their not gonna outscore the lakers, they better start playin some defense if they hope to win a game. Its sad watching them. Most teams in the playoffs try to play some defense, it doesnt really say much for George Karl.

I think Duncans got a slight edge on Garnett but i got no problem with garnett gettin the award or anyone sayin that the right man won. He deserves it, hes worked very hard all year. Duncan being better is just my opinion.

espn.com and nba.com both have camby listed at 235 pounds. Nba.com says KG weighs 220 pounds, espn.com say KG weighs 253 pounds. My guess would be KG weighs 240-245 pounds.

Gasol played good last night but not as good as he did in game 1. Camby played much better grabbing 17 rebounds and blocking 4 shots. Sir Charles pointed out that since Kenyon martin is guarding kobe camby has no help down low. Kmart and camby are the only 2 players that play defense on the nuggets. Denver has no team defense. They remind of golden state. Their not gonna outscore the lakers, they better start playin some defense if they hope to win a game. Its sad watching them. Most teams in the playoffs try to play some defense, it doesnt really say much for George Karl.

I think Duncans got a slight edge on Garnett but i got no problem with garnett gettin the award or anyone sayin that the right man won. He deserves it, hes worked very hard all year. Duncan being better is just my opinion.

That's really weird that nba.com would have a mistake like that. Maybe he was at that weight when he came into the league, I dunno. Point being though if you just look at the two of them it's pretty obvious that Garnett weighs at least a good 20 pounds more.

The Nuggets are the worst defensive team in the league, my god are they bad. I knew they were bad but no way did I think they were this horrible. Bad job by A.I. and Melo showing poor leadership on that team.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
That's really weird that nba.com would have a mistake like that. Maybe he was at that weight when he came into the league, I dunno. Point being though if you just look at the two of them it's pretty obvious that Garnett weighs at least a good 20 pounds more.

The Nuggets are the worst defensive team in the league, my god are they bad. I knew they were bad but no way did I think they were this horrible. Bad job by A.I. and Melo showing poor leadership on that team.
To me it looks like Garnetts about 10 pounds heavier. Both of them were about 220 when they came into the league.

I gotta agree with you about AI and carmello. They dont look like they care. This series should be closer then it is. Denver has alot of talent but im puttin the blame on george karl. It appears as if his game plan is to try to outscore the other team and play no defense. I thought the Nuggets would step it up in the playoffs, its dissapointing to see Iverson and melo lookin like they dont care what happens. Iverson can play defense, im not sure why he chosing not to. One of the first plays in the game he left fisher wide open. Carmello is probably even worse. I had to ask myself a couple times last night is this really a playoff game?