D'Antoni is the perfect fit

metrocard

Legend
Marbury, David Lee, Fred Jones, Nate Robinson, Renaldo Balkman and Wilson Chandler would thrive in his system. David Lee would actually be utilized to the full potential, where as guys who kill ball movement would be terminated(Randolph, Curry, Crawford).

He won at least 54 games in four straight seasons, including twice eclipsing the 60-win mark. Has a 253-136 record (.650) and twice reached conference finals.

He's a guy who always seek progression from his players and make sure his players are in the best of shapes, he also gets the BEST out his players(Career highs for Nash, Bell, Stoudimire, Barbosa, Diaw, etc)

D.J. Augustine would be the best PG for his system

We should trade with the Nets; and build for the future IF we don't move up in the top 2 in the draft lottery(

Knicks send off
Zach Randolph
#5 pick

NJ sends off
Swift(1 yr left)
Hassel(2 yrs left)
Van Horn(2 yrs left)
#10 Pick
#21 pick

We'll draft DJ @ 10

and draft Rush, Lopez, Arthur, or Alexis Ajinca @ 21

I prefer Alexis Ajinca, his potential, work ethic, body length, athleticism and skill is off the charts. He's a 7"1 center that moves like a guard and has incredible defense.

We should also try to nab a 2nd round pick, theres a lot of 3pt shooters available.

Hopefully it'll be a choice of Ellington or Roby, both will be available in the 2nd round.

So our future could look like

Augustin/Robinson
Ellington/Collins
Chandler/Balkman
Lee/whoever
Ajinca/Morris

Not bad, very versitle.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't think D'Antoni wants to come here. I don't think I want D'Antoni here either. I prefer a defensive minded coach.

Quote from New York Post, May 7, 2008
Mark Jackson remains the favorite because of skepticism that D'Antoni would actually join the 23-59 Knicks laughingstock, that he's using the Knicks to drive up the Bulls' price. Stephon Marbury is still their starting point guard, and D'Antoni was not a big fan.

Big C

Benchwarmer
I would be surprised if he did come here. Right now he might use the New York Media to get a good payday. The Bulls might be easier for him to coach.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
So our future could look like

Augustin/Robinson
Ellington/Collins
Chandler/Balkman
Lee/whoever
Ajinca/Morris

Not bad, very versitle.
Good post, Metrocard. Just remember that Crawford averages 20 points and 5 assists, so if the Knicks were to trade him, they could get a lot for him, from GM's that are stupid and only look at stats and not scouting reports. I could see the Knicks getting at least 1 first round pick, 1 second round pick, and a good defensive player for Crawford.

moneyg

Starter
i dont want d'antoni. id prefer tommy t. from boston with maybe mark j. and ewing as asst coaches. the knicks scored alot of points last season but couldn't stop anybody. they need a defensive scheme not an offensive one.

walsh will do a good job with trades. i think every gm knew they could sucker isaih into a quick fix trade. wont happen with donnie and other gm will know it.:beer:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think it will be easy to rid the Knicks of Randolph and Curry. This isn't D'Antoni's ideal line up. He's a very capable coach but I still think the run n gun movement is dead. Besides, I'm not entirely sure that D'Antoni is even interested in the Knicks. He may be using the Knicks to drive up Chicago's price to hire him. If that's true then he's an asshole.

ESPN reported that Tom Thibodeau maybe number 2 on the Bulls short list. If they go with Tom they can avoid having to shell out a bunch of cash for D'Antoni. Interesting, soTom is #2 on the Bulls list and #4 on ours behind Mike, Avery and Mark?

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Look at D'Antoni's record with Shaq. 2 Measly games over .500. The Suns also gave up 2 more points a game than did the Knicks. D'Antoni, can only coach uptempo. That style has not/will not win in the NBA post season, save only for the Showtime Lakers (and they still worked a half court set with Kareem). And the only thing the current roster of Knicks have in common with the showtime Lakers is they both play/played in the NBA. That's it. You need to be able to play a half court set to get to the finals. It's been that way forever. I think the Knicks need a defensive minded coach, that can make the most of the team we currently have cause there is no way to dump anyones contract. Marbury gets moved in February, because then he'll be worth 20mil of the books at seasons end. The Hawks wouldn't take Marbury. They took Bibby who clearly looks like he's no longer an NBA starter, just so they wouldn't have to deal with Marbury's baggage. Let's be real. We need a defensive mind who will make the players accountable or send them home. Most players if they don't follow team mandates, are in breach of their contract. The only reason teams don't "fire" players is because of free agency. Most teams feel if they are too firm or heavy handed, the won't attract the best talent. So, foolishly, they allow players to act the fool. I say we make the players accountable. Hopefully Walsh selects the best defensive Coach. Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, or Kenny Smith.

metrocard

Legend
Look at D'Antoni's record with Shaq. 2 Measly games over .500. The Suns also gave up 2 more points a game than did the Knicks. D'Antoni, can only coach uptempo. That style has not/will not win in the NBA post season, save only for the Showtime Lakers (and they still worked a half court set with Kareem). And the only thing the current roster of Knicks have in common with the showtime Lakers is they both play/played in the NBA. That's it. You need to be able to play a half court set to get to the finals. It's been that way forever. I think the Knicks need a defensive minded coach, that can make the most of the team we currently have cause there is no way to dump anyones contract. Marbury gets moved in February, because then he'll be worth 20mil of the books at seasons end. The Hawks wouldn't take Marbury. They took Bibby who clearly looks like he's no longer an NBA starter, just so they wouldn't have to deal with Marbury's baggage. Let's be real. We need a defensive mind who will make the players accountable or send them home. Most players if they don't follow team mandates, are in breach of their contract. The only reason teams don't "fire" players is because of free agency. Most teams feel if they are too firm or heavy handed, the won't attract the best talent. So, foolishly, they allow players to act the fool. I say we make the players accountable. Hopefully Walsh selects the best defensive Coach. Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, or Kenny Smith.

We actually had a coach like that.

Larry Brown.

Its not just the coach, we need the provide the right players. You can't play defense if you don't have any skilled defenders. Defense takes practice and commitment.

Honestly, I couldn't give a FUCK less if D'Antoni didn't make it to the finals, Suns have been of the best teams in the NBA in the last 5 years, I wouldn't mind an up tempo team that wins 55+ games a season. You shouldn't either especially considering what we've gone through.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I want a team who can win it all in the playoffs. D'Antoni hasn't done that yet, and until he can scheme for half court play, he will continue to be a losing coach in the playoffs. When they asked Dirk Nowitzki what he thought about Dallas maybe bringing in D'Antoni, he threw him under the bus saying the as well as himself would prefer someone with better defensive schemes. That says a lot when Dirk who plays no D even says he'd perfer someone else. Eddy Curry is no Amare. Zach is no Shawn Marion. We have the makings of a half court offense, so that what we should scheme for.

metrocard

Legend
I want a team who can win it all in the playoffs. D'Antoni hasn't done that yet, and until he can scheme for half court play, he will continue to be a losing coach in the playoffs. When they asked Dirk Nowitzki what he thought about Dallas maybe bringing in D'Antoni, he threw him under the bus saying the as well as himself would prefer someone with better defensive schemes. That says a lot when Dirk who plays no D even says he'd perfer someone else. Eddy Curry is no Amare. Zach is no Shawn Marion. We have the makings of a half court offense, so that what we should scheme for.

You can't get a team who can win it all until you get a playoff team.

Playoff team > Elite team > Championship team

Thats the progression. Knicks will never become a championship team out of no where, we need to gain playoff experience.

D'Antoni has kept his team at the elite level for 5 years, thats AWESOME and every Knick fan in this planet would love that. Thats all we want now, a team that can compete.

I don't see Walsh keeping Curry or Zach if D'Antoni becomes head coach. I'm loving this though. Finally a fucking changed; no more Isiah, I feel free.

Kiyaman

Legend
What did D'Antoni do to Phoenix that was'nt already started with Marion, Amare, and Joe Johnson? adding Nash to replace Marbury was all the Phoenix Suns needed to do. Marion was the MAN in Phoenix.
Now Coach D'Antoni gets all the credit.

Bringing D'Antoni to New York or Chicago is a foolish move.
The best team inwhich D'Antoni should coach in the East is Detroit.
Detroit players have a great format that he could make better.
D'Antoni will complain about the players on the Knicks and Bulls.

D'Antoni got his Playoff experience from All-Star players Marion, Joe Johnson, Amare, and Nash.
He cant help out the Knicks or Bulls.
Coach Stan Van Gundy would've done a better job coaching the Suns vs Spurs in the first round with Shaq.
D' Antoni is not a Bigman coach...

dre48ny

Rotation player
Obviously some changes have to be made on this current team for D'Antoni to have some kind of success. There are some current members that do fit his sheme, but there needs to be complimentary elements. We need to wait for our draft and see if Walsh can pull out some great deals this summer. I can see the Knicks succeeding with D'Antoni, but moves must be made.

D'Antoni>>>>>>>>>>>>>Isaiah

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
D'Antoni can't fix the Knicks. He will have little to no trading flexibility so he wont be able to bring in any impact players. He regards Marbury as a selfish player so I'm surprised that those that still support Marbury want DiAntoni to coach here. If the Knicks don't find a coach that can moderately teach defense/offense, we won't win.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
D'Antoni can't fix the Knicks. He will have little to no trading flexibility so he wont be able to bring in any impact players. He regards Marbury as a selfish player so I'm surprised that those that still support Marbury want DiAntoni to coach here. If the Knicks don't find a coach that can moderately teach defense/offense, we won't win.

I dont want d'antoni but i wont be upset if we get him. I prefer a defensive minded coach over offensive any day but with the right players we can be one of the top offensive teams in the league. I think thats good but at the same time we'll be just like the craptors and the phoenix sons........always losing in the 2nd round, maybe 3rd. I want a dynasty, I want a championship team. I dont care if we're not good next year, if its a couple year project i dont care. We need to bring a title back to NY, its been over 30 years. Marbury might only be here for one more year and hes not the same person he was phoenix. And for the record, i dont think marbury was ever a selfish player. I think he had a bad attitude off the court but on the court he always did a good job of distributing the ball.

We gotta destroy and rebuild:

metrocard

Legend
Rick Aldeman has always been known as an offensive coach. He was assigned to be head coach of a half court team with a lot of skilled defenders. The Houston Rockets still manage to be good defensively with an improved offensive squad(Despite all the injuries they faced).

Marbury is always open to change and would strive leading D'Antoni's system, he won't be like Nash, but I could see Marbury averaging 9-10 assist in an uptempo style that needs a PG that can penetrate and get in the painted area. Marbury is very elite at this skill.

Robinson would fill Leandro Barbosa's role, a combo guard off the bench with range and speed. He would run up and down the court beating his man and will be found open for the 3pt shot. I could see Robinson averaging 15 ppg easily

We've all seen what Balkman and Lee could do in the full court. Sadly Isiah's system kept Balkman and Lee's full court skills n the closet. Both of these men have elite rebounding ability and skill; along with their ability to handle the ball for their size and PASS, with their great full court awareness. We'll see a lot of dunks if these guys get 25+ minutes under D'Antoni system. Balkman is basically Marion without the jumper, and Lee is basically Stoudimire without the athleticism.

Balkman
12 ppg
10 rebs
2 stls
2 blks
3 assist
50% FG

Lee
15 ppg
12 rebs
3 assist
60% FG

Even though I hate Crawford, it would be interesting seeing what he could do in the system. I would rather prefer a SG like Raja Bell who could atleast bring some defense.

Chandler's game will open up too, plus Richardson had one of his better seasons playing under D'Antoni, so things would actually look pretty bright.

All we had to do is drop to two fatasses in Curry and Randolph; all they do is slow the game down and kill ball movement, a no no in D'Antoni's hood.

In the draft, a guy like Rose, Beasley, Lopez, Augustin, Bayless would all make a career playing in this system and reach their fullest potential, as will our other younger players.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
i would bust a nut if we got raja bell no homo

raja bells defense and 3 point shooting>>>the crawford family tree