D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I am really disappointed in Donnie Walsh. He had an opportunity to sign Patrick Ewing(a defensive minded player and defensive minded coach) and he gets Mike D'Antoni. He also had an opportunity to get Mark Jackson(a former Knick that was a good leader in the NBA-especially with the Pacers). Supposily, Donnie Walsh wanted to improve our cap situation, and he said that he wants the team to get under the cap by 2010. Signing a coach to a 4 year 24 million dollar deal doesn't seem like you're trying to save money to me. The Knicks could've probably got Patrick Ewing for a two year 10 million dollar contract. The same with Mark Jackson. I didn't trust Walsh when he first came to New York, and this move further makes me lose trust. How you sign an offensive minded coach, when your team's #1 weakness is defense is beyond me. D'Antoni is a great coach, but not for the Knicks.

Going into the offseason I wanted us to get a vetern coach that puts up alot of wins ever season.I think we got that in D'antoni and I myself is glad we got him.I still can't understand why some of you wanted Ewing or Jackson as our head coach when they have never been a head coach in their whole lifes.Now I agree with you about them being a part of the coaching staff but I would rather see them as assistant coachs than a head coach.

My 2 cent...

I personally like the signing. It is better than the alternative of Jackson or some first time coach (never wanted Avery in here, think he sucks as a coach)

Tough to argue with Walsh on a coach who has proven to stamp his own identity and philosophy on the sport. Let's be real Steve Nash was nowhere near considered an MVP or HOF player before his system and he will have achieved both lofty statuses 5 years from his retirement. Largely based on playing in D'antoni's freak offensive scheme. Boris Diaw a proven bum, looked like an all star in that system when STAT was our that year. And we all know he is a bum. Can you guys imagine what Lee would be like in it? Even Zach if he is forced to stay another year or so? Neither one is STAT of course, but I'd take bother over Diaw right now.

You guys can chew out Marbury all you like, and may even have legit reason based on what he's been here, but if healthy and named the pg in D'antoni's system (coupled with a FA year) you will probably have the pre-season favorite for come back player of the year. Step is still as fast and creative as most of these pg's in the league and can still provide a very dangerous scoring threat which is what the pg in D's system is required to be. And bottom line is, there is no one on the team, or in the draft we can be sure will be a better fit (and surely not by trade or FA'cy). In fact, I'm actually very excited to get to see Steph used the proper way for the first time in years. He can still be elite if used correctly.

Curry, Crawford, 2 GAY GAY JJ'S, Qrich all have to go eventually. Crawford is what he is. Plus he is probably our most attractive trade piece besides a Lee or Chandler at this point. Plus, Mayo would be what Joe Johnson was in D'antoni's scheme off the top while Crawford would hold it up with his crossover but settle for the 40 ft fade away impossible shot to hear oooh's and ah's instead of driving to the hole to keep pressure of the defense. Mayo is probably a more consistent scorer and shooter night in and out and definitely a better defender. Even if they went away from Mayo (which would be very silly) I'd take a Lopez(If Curry is gone which he should be) or Augustine (if they decide not to keep Steph)

If Curry, Zach and Steph all stay, I would not mind a starting lineup of

Curry (unfortunately)
Zach(he could play very well in D's pick and roll high volume shots system)
Chandler(he will be very scary in D's system)
Mayo(see above)
Steph(see above)

If Steph goes (probably won't, money and being the only true pg on the team favors him staying)

Curry
Zach
Chandler
Crawford
Rose(pipe dream)Augustine, Bayless, Gordon that order

I can't really see a scenario where the Knicks would go big man unless Rose, Augustine, Bayless, Gordon, and Mayo are all off the board when they pick. But Lopez would be a pretty good pick to replace Curry. Be tough to see them just part with Curry being young still and a proven low post scorer without even seeing him in D'antoni's system (even though we all hate him)

Bottom line why this move works is this. None of us at the begining of last year was under the illusion that the Knicks would be a defensive Juggernaut. HOWEVER, none of us envisioned the Knicks not having a clue offensively and no established system by the coaching staff to make it work either. We at least thought we'd score with the best of them in basketball, and that did not happen. That was truly more the downfall of the team than lack of defense. NO STRUCTURE on either side.

D'antoni will AT LEAST establish a set structure on offense that will benefit the whole team offensively. There will be defined roles and they will adhere to our strengths. We all expected to see a very strong offensive team last year... none of us were under the illusion we'd play defense very well. We got neither, and that led to 23 wins.

Remember.. We play in the LEASTERN CONFERENCE. D'antoni had the Suns a win away from the finals and going to win. With a good move here and there in a season or so, he can have the Knicks certainly vying for that spot in the east.

I would have rather gone with a fresh face but excluding Van Gundy, D'Antoni, out of the retread coaches out there, would have been my top choice. I think he's a pretty good coach who was unfairly blamed in Phoenix and got a raw deal. I'm not big on the run and gun style of play but it is the way the NBA is going these days.

The only thing I know for certain is that the next time the Knicks win a title, or are even a title contender, D'Antoni won't be the coach and most probably Walsh won't be around either.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
There is no perfect fit. But there is an identity now. We've changed identities every yr, from this being an all about Steph team, to all about Curry team, to the twin donuts. Now no one is safe, you either fit in and get the job done or u go. Cant go on complaining that we'll never win a championship wit D'antoni when we havent won a playoff game in 7-8yrs. The first step is being competitive.
This also opens up the Euro-style game to Broadway. It could potentially be a very exciting brand of ball. It all remains to be seen how it comes together but there isnt a clear cut direction to take this team atleast D'antoni is an innovative, offensive guru who has changed the notion that running doesnt win. Winning championships isnt easy, the lakers were a run and gun and they won championships, it isnt the style its the players. While this roster as currently constituted does not have the players, he'll be given a couple of yrs to get his players here and see what happens..

CoolClyde

D'Ant is Better Than D'Zeke

first thing I thought upon hearing D'Ant was coach?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I wanted Jackson.
however, after consideration, I realize where Walsh is coming from,
choosing a coach-of-the year, who transformed a bad team to finals contention, with the help of Steve Nash and the DELETION of Stephon Marbury! Is this an omen of tings to come?

If we draft OJ Mayo or by some miracle, Derrick Rose, then maybe D'Knicks stands a chance of a similar turnaround.

I'm hoping this new management team, starting with Walsh and D'Ant,
will play smart basketball, and I mean drafting, trading, and PLEASE, losing the cancerous slugs on this team, starting with the dreaded JJ's and Randolph (trade him to Denver!)

Maybe Q can thrive again in the Suns-oriented system, remember, he was quite the player on Phoenix, and D'Ant knew how to get the best out of him. Starbury? The man is a big questionmark, mentally and physically, and could prove to be the weakest or strongest link.

I think Nate, Crawford and Wilson will thrive in D'Ant system, I agree with y'all on that one.

Anyway you look at it, Walsh/D'ant is better than Isiah.

Lebron in 2010!