Dolan got another idiot running the Knicks

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I believe the premise of this thread is that Donnie Walsh is an idiot. Or is it D'Antoni? Ether way that's a crack head statement. Good GMs bring in good coaches. Good coaches bring in good players. So now we've got a players coach in D'Antoni and rumors that Baron Davis wants to play for him. Do you think this team would be more appealing to Labron if Marbury were running the point or Davis?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Great thread, Kiyaman. I gave it 5 stars, and you got a rep point.
James Dolan should've never hired Donnie Walsh. Donnie Walsh was a great President for the Pacers, but let's look at the facts:

The Pacers currently have Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy on their team(two players that don't play defense and that have huge contracts).

The Pacers have missed the playoffs in each of their last two seasons, and they have not made it passed the first round of the playoffs, since 2005.

The Knicks are the worst defensive team in the NBA.

The Pacers are a fast pace, up and down the floor team.

The Knicks have Jerome James, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry, and Zach Randolph(4 players that can't run up and down the floor and knock down shots).

Then he lets Walsh hire D'Antoni. James Dolan should have told Walsh to hire Patrick Ewing(the person who most deserved the job and who's defensive minded).

And to make matters worse, D'Antoni is given 30 million dollars for 5 years.
This means that is D'Antoni is fired, he gets to keep the remainder of his contract for free.

Also, D'Antoni says that he wants to draft Danilo Gallinari(a small forward) even though the Knicks already have Wilson Chandler and Renaldo Balkman, and they need a center and point guard the most.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Great thread, Kiyaman. I gave it 5 stars, and you got a rep point.
James Dolan should've never hired Donnie Walsh. Donnie Walsh was a great President for the Pacers, but let's look at the facts:

The Pacers currently have Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy on their team(two players that don't play defense and that have huge contracts).

The Pacers have missed the playoffs in each of their last two seasons, and they have not made it passed the first round of the playoffs, since 2005.

The Knicks are the worst defensive team in the NBA.

The Pacers are a fast pace, up and down the floor team.

The Knicks have Jerome James, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry, and Zach Randolph(4 players that can't run up and down the floor and knock down shots).

Then he lets Walsh hire D'Antoni. James Dolan should have told Walsh to hire Patrick Ewing(the person who most deserved the job and who's defensive minded).

And to make matters worse, D'Antoni is given 30 million dollars for 5 years.
This means that is D'Antoni is fired, he gets to keep the remainder of his contract for free.

Also, D'Antoni says that he wants to draft Danilo Gallinari(a small forward) even though the Knicks already have Wilson Chandler and Renaldo Balkman, and they need a center and point guard the most.

Great post ABCD. I agree 100%. I thought Larry Bird was the reason why the Pacers suck and play no defense, but Donnie allowed it to happen. Now it looks like the knicks will be the same way.

The frustration of being a knicks fan will continue :cry:

Man, don't be so pessimistic.
We've got a GM who built some of the best teams in the League in the last 15 years. Just check Indiana's records until Bird joined Donnie in the front-office.

D'Antoni transformed a sub-par team into a 58-win club during 4 consecutive seasons.

How can you even try to say we're not much better off with them, than with Isiah???

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Man, don't be so pessimistic.
We've got a GM who built some of the best teams in the League in the last 15 years. Just check Indiana's records until Bird joined Donnie in the front-office.

D'Antoni transformed a sub-par team into a 58-win club during 4 consecutive seasons.

How can you even try to say we're not much better off with them, than with Isiah???

Nothing is worse then Isiah.

Donnie did a great job before Bird came in. What scares me is he allowed bird to destroy that team, making them the worst defensive team in the league. They're one of the best offensive teams, but offense doesnt win championships. Offense with no defense gets you eliminated every year in the 1st round, 2nd if your lucky.

D'antoni had alot of pieces in place when he got there. The most impressive thing that he did was lead the suns to 50 wins the year that amare stoudamire missed.

I never seen my team get a championship, i started watchin back in 94 when i was 7 years old. We aint won a 'ship since 1973. Its time to bring the 'ship back to NY.

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
Many people on this site just rip everything.I dont understand how you can complain about Donnie Walsh he took a small market team with no crediability and turned it into a contender almost every year lets be honest the only reason there on the decline is because Ron Artest and Steven Jackson left him no choice but to trade them.He had to trade there two best players on the team and they still competed.He has the respect of everyone in the league and he has been around forever you dont keep a job and stay getting paid for being stupid, The NBA is a million dollar buisness so saying Walsh is stupid is just ignorant.Now to Dantoni people want to rip him for what, All he has done is win and made players he had better and he did it in the West where every team competes and every game is tough he has done nothing wrong since he has been a coach in the NBA and most players want to play for him why do you think all the top players in the league are going to the Olympics because of the coach from Duke,And people say I would rather have Ewing tell me why because Howard and Yao improved thats riddiculous.I love Ewing as a player but there is no way in the world he could coach,He doesnt even speak to the media do you have any idea what the NY media would do to him and if you think it dont matter your crazy it does matter this city will kill you if you dont know how to handle it coaches are human and they can break just like anyone else if you dont know how to handle it.And my last point is this if you dont think David Stern had anything to do with who got hired in NY think again and bealive me he wants the Knicks to succed more than anyone.

Oldknickfan

Rookie
How about giving Walsh and Dantoni another week and if they don't win a championship by then -- we fire them?

After all they inherit a great roster with a winning tradition, so why should we give them any time to make a difference?

Why wait until the season begins to condemn them?

Didn't we give Izaiah too long?

Larry Brown had a year. Wasn't that too long?

Come on guys, Walsh and D'A have not had any time to show what they can do. It will take two to three years to turn this awful team around.

Isiah tried to make them the Suns of the East but did not know how. The Knicks are a poor defensive team but they do have some players who can play uptempo. That is a place to start.

Walsh has a proven track record.

D'A is a proven coach of the year who has won big at all levels.

Lets see what they can do.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'm not going to have any patience for Donnie Walsh. The fact that he didn't even interview Patrick Ewing for the coaching job shows he doesn't know what he's doing. He probably just hired D'Antoni cause they're friends. Friendships doesn't win games. Smart moves win games. Giving Mike D'Antoni a 5 year 30 million dollar contract is not a smart move. I'm going to break it down for everyone, so that they know what this means. Unless D'Antoni gets fired, he is guaranteed a spot with the Knicks until 2013, and he's guaranteed 30 million dollars, unless he quits.The Knicks could've probably signed D'Antoni for less money and less years, had Donnie Walsh used his brain. But instead, he threw his money around like if it was Monopoly money. Something that Isiah Thomas was doing, almost the entire time he was with the Knicks. If the Knicks don't win at least 30 games next year, I'm losing all hope with the team, and I want both Walsh and D'Antoni fired. If they're brave enough to throw 30 million dollars away in a team that is almost 70 million dollars over the salary cap, then they should be brave enough to take the punishment for not immediately producing.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
PS- James Dolan only gave Walsh 15 million dollars. That means that Walsh gave a guy who has less power than him twice as much money. That doesn't seem smart to me.

pat

Starter
PS- James Dolan only gave Walsh 15 million dollars. That means that Walsh gave a guy who has less power than him twice as much money. That doesn't seem smart to me.

To me this seems as if he is all about winning and not about egos.