Celtics vs Pistons Playoff Series Thread

Who will win this Playoff Series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Celtics vs Pistons Schedule

Gm. 1:Tue., May 20: at Boston, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Gm. 2:Thu., May 22: at Boston, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Gm. 3:Sat., May 24: at Detroit, 8:30 p.m. ET (ABC)
Gm. 4:Mon., May 26: at Detroit, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Gm. 5*:Wed., May 28: at Boston, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Gm. 6*:Fri., May 30: at Detroit, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Gm. 7*:Sun., June 1: at Boston, 8:30 p.m. ET (ABC)

* if necessary

061002_boston_celtics_logo.jpg

scooter.jpg

PG-Rajon Rondo
SG-Ray Allen
SF-Paul Pierce
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Kendrick Perkins

Detroit_Pistons_logo.png

detroit_pistons_logo.jpg

nba_a_wallace2_395.jpg

At Point Guard Chauncey Billups
At Shooting Guard Rip Hamilton
At Small Forward Tayshaun Prince
At Power Forward Rasheed Wallace
At Center Antonio Mcydyess

All comments, thoughts, and analysis belong in this thread

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Game 1's gonna set the tone for this series. I really think it's either gonna be an easier than expected win for Celtics in 5, or a hard-fought gritty series won by Detroit in 6 or 7.

Like I said in previous posts, Celtics' weakness has been going against teams with prolific scorers that can take over a game: Johnson with Hawks, and LeBron with Cavs. They've had 14 games going against that type of offense so Detroit's well-balanced and obviously more experienced offense might surprise the Celtics at first. But is some way I believe the Celtics are breathing a sigh of relief knowing that they're done guarding lights-out scorers. This would be a great series cos they're equally matched. The biggest advantage of the Pistons would be that they are playoff-tested with the same core for several years now. Rondo is going to have to step up in this series or else he's gonna get burned by Billups. I have this feeling Doc is gonna use Posey more often and make him guard Chauncey ala-Bowen guarding Nash, while Pierce runs the point (which he effectively did in Game 7 against LeBron).

If only one or two of the Celtics Big Three show up, they're in deep shit. If Billups reinjures, Pistons are done.

This year's East and West Conference Finals would be 20 times more exciting than last year's (Cavs vs Pistons and Jazz vs Spurs).

If I would give titles to this year's matchups, it would be:
Celtics vs Pistons: "Vindication vs Redemption"
Lakers vs Spurs: "Destiny vs Legacy"

LOL!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Although i disagree thats some good analysis lanceroy. Theres no wrong or right answer with this series between the pistons and celtics. Heres how i see it:

Rondo vs Billups:Billups is clearly the better of the 2 but rondos speed and long arms might be able to bother Billups. I wouldnt be suprise if this series goes 7 games to see Rondo outplay billups twice. Rondos problem is that he hasnt been consistent in the playoffs, which is why i call him Raj-off Rondo as opposed to Rajon Rondo.

Billups>>>

Ray Allen vs Rip Hamilton:Hands down this one goes to Rip. Billups missed the last 2 games against Orlando. Rip came up huge for the Pistons helping them win game 4 on the road, and game 5 at home with over 30 points in each game. His mid range game is throwback and hes also a very good defender. Ray Allen has mysteriously struggled badly thus far in the playoffs.

Hamilton>>>

Paul Pierce vs Tayshaun Prince:Prince has improved consistently since coming into the NBA but hes still not on the level of Paul pierce. Pierce isnt the most athletic player but hes very skilled. Hes tough in the low post, he can shoot, and hes a good defender. And he might not have the best vertical leap but he still gets off the ground high enough to throw it down. Prince is not the better player but his style can really throw off pierce similar to rondo and billups, but to a greater extent. Prince has long arms and hes a great defender. Pierce struggled against Prince during the season but i cant deny that pierce is better.

Prince>>>

Garnett vs Rasheed Wallace:The 2 most intense players in the league. Both Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett have said that Rasheed does the best job of defending them. This will be a fun matchup to watch. Garnett is the better player but Wallace will slow him down and make things difficult for him. Both of them seem to be passive in the 4th quarter of games as we saw with garnett in game 4 and 7 against the cavs, where he wasnt much of a factor. P.J. Brown outplayed Garnett in the 4th quarter of game 7. In game 4 Anderson Varajeo held Garnett to only 2 points in the 2nd half.

Garnett>>>

Perkins vs McdyessThey are both equal in terms of defense and rebounding, but Mcdyess is the better player on offense. He came up big for the Pistons in Game 5 against the Magic. MCdyess can score down low, and he had a mid range jumper.

Mcdyess>>>

Celtics bench vs Pistons Bench:The Pistons have been using Jason Maxiell, Rodney Stuckey, Lindsey Hunter, and Arron Afflalo, and Theo Ratliff off the bench. The Celtics have used Leon Powe, James Posey, Eddie House, Sam Cassell, Glen Davis, and PJ Brown off the bench. I have to give a slight edge to the Celtics, James Posey has been a big plus for them so far in the playoffs. No one else has been consistent for the celtics but you know Leon Powes always gonna hustle his ass off and PJ Brown is the man. One Celtic I like, hes old school with his hard fouls that prevents the 3 point play.

Celtics bench>>>

So what does all this mean? The Pistons have experience, team play, great defense, and they dont turn the ball over that much. The Celtics do turn the ball over more then Detroit, and they havent played together as long (who has?)

The celtics have been a dissapointment because of this:

Celtics: 66-16
Cavs: 45-37
Hawks: 37-45

IT took them 7 games to beat these 2 teams. The Hawks shouldve been swept and the cavs shouldve been out of there in 5 games, 6 as the most.

All 10 Espn analyst chose celtics over hawks
9 out of 10 Espn analysts chose celtics over cavs
6 out of 10 Espn analysts have chosen the pistons over the celtics

All things considered, i have to go with the Pistons in 6 games.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Celtics really seem to favor this series much much more than they did with Cleveland. As good as a defensive team the Pistons are, they have a very weak interior defense. And the Celtics exploited on that weakness right from the get-go. Now that they don't have to worry about double-teaming or triple-teaming a superstar, and getting to the penalty early every quarter, they're able to play good man-to-man and help defense.
If Pistons want to win, they have start doubling Pierce, and try to play zone defense to compensate for their lack of an intimidating interior defense.

Billups 9 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO
Rondo 11 points, 2 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, 1 TO
When the Pistons' best matchup is getting owned by his counterpart, you know the Pistons are in for a tough night.

Pistons' key to winning game 2:
[1] Play zone defense
[2] Double Pierce, or demand more from Prince's defense
[3] Billups getting into a groove early
[4] Rasheed should avoid being tentative in guarding Garnett

IMO Game 2 is a must-win for the Pistons, else the Celtics' confidence would sky rocket.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree, game 2 is a must win for Detroit. This is there best chance to steal one on the road. Billups is still hurt, thats why he failed to outplay rajon rombo. I also agree that Rasheed has to be less tentative against garnett. Gay G might be quicker but Rasheed has to recognize hes stronger and push his skinny ass around. Gay G dont like it when people get physical with him, especially in the 4th quarter.

Paul1355

All Star
Detroit should win...if lebron can almost beat Boston literally by himself i think the pistons with hamilton, prince, billups and rasheed could do more damage. Seeing detroit lose was disgraceful all you do is double garnett in the paint and have tight pressure on pierce and you'll have a good shot. Let Rondo and Allen shoot Allen averages 8 ppg and Rondo can hit some three's but not as good as pierce. Detroit has more weapons than cleavland and they have better defense all around. I think this series will be harder for Boston as it goes and i think the Pisonts are gonna shock some die hard Celtic fans....hoping Boston fans go home with their heads down:boohoo:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Pistons Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They gotta stay focused at home. The pistons at times lose focus and are too cocky. They gave away 2 games to philadelphia. The 76ers were very impressive this year, they suprised alot of people and i think they have alot to look forward to in their future but they had no business winnin those 2 games. Pistons cant play like that against the celtics, they gotta have a killer instinct. They got this series as long as they do what their supposed to.