Who do you want to draft?

metrocard

Legend
As a draft addict, I've come to understand that players with the highest level of skill and work ethic turnout to be the more successful picks.

at PG, I would prefer D.J. Augustin out of the bunch

at SG, OJ Mayo can fit as a Ginobili or Larry Hughes with a jumpshot.

at SF, Joe Alexander would be my choice; he has the ideal size for a SF, really skilled offensively, a good shot blocker/banger in the post.

at PF, Kevin Love.

at C, and the most prized prospect that will hopefully land @ 6 for the Knicks would be Brook Lopez

TunerAddict

Starter
PG- Derrick Rose
SG- OJ
SF- Joe Alexander
PF- Mike Beasley
C- DeAndre Jordan

I dont like Augustine because he is too short for the league.
I think Brook is nothing but a role-player, won't be better then what we have. However, I'm not saying DeAndre will. Quite a drought in centers this draft, I just think Jordan has a bigger upside.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Good Thread, Metrocard. Since the Knicks have the #6 pick, there's no way that the Knicks will be able to draft Beasley or Rose. This list is only the list of people I want, based on the people that will most likely be available:

PG DJ Augustin
SG OJ Mayo(can also play PG)
SF Anthony Randolph(can also play PF or even C if he gains weight)
PF Kevin Love(can also play C)
C Brook Lopez(can also play PF)

people not on the list who would also be good:
C De Andre Jordan, PG Russell Westbrook, PF/C Javale McGee

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Watsup metro welcome back. We have some new members here, despite the routine members who bitch and complain i think this site continues to improve.

I hope we draft OJ Mayo. I been doin some studying and i think hes the best fit for this knicks team. Hes a good defender, good scorer, good passer, and a great replacement for jamal crawful. One thing im having a hard time figuring out about him, is he a point guard or a shooting guard? From what i understand hes fully capable of playing both positions.

Brook lopez is second on my list followed by Alexander.

TunerAddict

Starter
I hope we draft OJ Mayo. I been doin some studying and i think hes the best fit for this knicks team. Hes a good defender, good scorer, good passer, and a great replacement for jamal crawful. One thing im having a hard time figuring out about him, is he a point guard or a shooting guard? From what i understand hes fully capable of playing both positions.

I've been kinda leaning towards OJ aswell. High profile player with immense upside. I like risk on "character" guys anyway. I think Mike might just be the guy to turn him into a real PG. It might just be the best situation for him.

nyk24

Rookie
As much as I like OJ Mayo, I'd hate for him to be negatively influenced by some of the guys on this roster. His character is already an issue, but being in the same locker room with Randolph, Nate, and Marbury might not be good.

Pricey

Rotation player
its a shame we dont have a 2nd round pick cause i would love to see Nathan Jawai play for the Knicks. The guy is going to be a solid player and he has a great attitude.

Paul1355

All Star
Size doesn't always matter

turneraddict since when did size matter in basketball? Allen Iverson is the saem height (6'0) as D.J Augustine do u see people sayin AI is to short...dumb excuse to pass a guy up that led Texas and I saw in games DJ Augustine take over in every way an all star can...yes he will be an all star mark my words. And too short? remeber Nate Robinson winning the dunk contest yea (5'9) I think Augustine is the best PG...Mayo is teh best SG i read an article by chad ford about him and this guy reminds me alot of A-ROD all this pressure and can still carry a team. SF is tough but ill give it to the Italian kid...PF is prob Kevin Love...and Center would be Brook lopez because teh knicks need a Center more than any oyher position...Zach Randolph can not play Center if i ran fast enough i could pull a lay up on him. Brook could run the floor, rebound and provide some defense...the knicks need a backup center with some shot blocking skill

TunerAddict

Starter
turneraddict since when did size matter in basketball? Allen Iverson is the saem height (6'0) as D.J Augustine do u see people sayin AI is to short...dumb excuse to pass a guy up that led Texas and I saw in games DJ Augustine take over in every way an all star can...yes he will be an all star mark my words. And too short? remeber Nate Robinson winning the dunk contest yea (5'9) I think Augustine is the best PG...Mayo is teh best SG i read an article by chad ford about him and this guy reminds me alot of A-ROD all this pressure and can still carry a team. SF is tough but ill give it to the Italian kid...PF is prob Kevin Love...and Center would be Brook lopez because teh knicks need a Center more than any oyher position...Zach Randolph can not play Center if i ran fast enough i could pull a lay up on him. Brook could run the floor, rebound and provide some defense...the knicks need a backup center with some shot blocking skill

DJ Augustin is 5'10" which is far too short to be the 6th pick. Hes not so overly skilled and athletic where it makes up for it. He isn't as quick as Iverson and he doesn't have a vert like Nate. Of course, Nate isn't really that great anyway. Its hard for him (DJ) to get a shot off when he is being guarded by a 6'4" guy who is just as fast.

metrocard

Legend
PG- Derrick Rose
SG- OJ
SF- Joe Alexander
PF- Mike Beasley
C- DeAndre Jordan

I dont like Augustine because he is too short for the league.
I think Brook is nothing but a role-player, won't be better then what we have. However, I'm not saying DeAndre will. Quite a drought in centers this draft, I just think Jordan has a bigger upside.

You're not understanding the thread at all; Rose and Beasley will definitely be gone before the 6th pick. Listing them would be meaningless.

DJ and Chris Paul are the same height. No one is too short for the NBA. Hardaway, Ford, Felton, Conley ...etc

DJ Augustine's strengths

Strengths:

? Strong build
? Basketball instincts
? Mix between scoring/passing
? Outstanding ball-handling skills w/either hand
? Change of gears/Hesitation moves
? Ability to get to free throw line
? Pick and roll play
? Perimeter shooting
? Off the dribble shooting
? Quick release
? Mid-range game
? Transition play
? Court vision
? Unselfishness
? Under control play
? Assist to turnover ratio
? Commitment to playing defense
? Fundamentals
? Intangibles
? Winner

DeAndre Jordan is terrible offensively(has no post moves, is totally unaware of plays, always confused on offense) and he's as bad defensively (foul prone, terrible post defense).

Brook Lopez has never been a role player in his life. He has proven he can be used in the clutch and can be utilized as a GO TO GUY. Brook Lopez right now will better than Randolph or Curry will ever be.

TunerAddict

Starter
Chris Paul is 6'0" and far more skilled then DJ, but your obviously biased here.

I'm not saying Brook WAS a role player, I'm just saying that he WILL be. He isn't a star player. People need to get it through their heads, there aren't twenty allstars in every draft. Honestly, I'm thinking tops 3 allstars in this draft. Oj, Bease, Rose. And Rose is a maybe. Brook never really stood out to me in college when I saw him play. People just have a need to put a 7 footer in the top10.

Oh, and BTW, you never said that this was for who we could get, the topic is "who do you want to draft." I want to move up and get Mike Beasely.

metrocard

Legend
Augustin's sophomore year

37 mpg
19.2 ppg
6.0 assists
3.0 rebounds
44% FG
80% FT
38% 3 pts
2.8 TO
1.2 SPG

TJ Ford's sophomore year (won national player of the year at Texas)

33.6 mpg
15.0 ppg
7.7 assists
3.9 rebounds
40% FG
82% FT
27% 3 pts
3.2 TO

Chris Paul's sophomore year

33.4 mpg
15.2 ppg
6.6 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
45% FG
83% FT
47% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Deron Williams junior year

33.7 mpg
12.5 ppg
6.8 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
43% FG
68% FT
36% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Jameer Nelson senior year

33.9 mpg
20.6 ppg
5.3 assists
?? rebounds
48% FG
79% FT
39% 3 pt
2.8 TO

This a potential Steve Nash clone; passing on him would be ignorant. We need a matured complete PG, with a lot of dimensions. DJ is that guy; the best passer and pure PG in the nation.

You haven't seen Lopez play enough.

He's the most fundamental and skilled big man in the draft, along one of the best defenders you can find at his position. A 7 footer with good shooting form and consistency is always valuable, along with Lopez's ability to destroy his man in the paint in a variety of ways.

Lopez has two weaknesses; rebounding and aggressiveness. Weaknesses doesn't mean something you're terrible at, Lopez is just a B level rebounder. Derrick Rose is a C level shooter, but has other qualities that make him a top 5 pick just like Lopez.

? Size
? Length
? Frame
? Hands
? Coordination
? Timing
? Ability to run the floor
? Ability to establish position in post
? Ability to draw fouls
? Post-scoring
? Jump-hook
? Ability to face-up
? Medium-range jump-shot
? Perimeter shooting potential
? A presence in post defensively
? Lateral quickness
? Intelligence
? Extremely productive
? Plays under control

Lopez isn't a guy who's going to be at an MVP status, but he'll definately work his way to one of the better centers in the NBA.

Beasley and Rose are locks for Miami and Chicago, trading up is really unrealistic.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
He's the most fundamental and skilled big man in the draft, along one of the best defenders you can find at his position. A 7 footer with good shooting form and consistency is always valuable, along with Lopez's ability to destroy his man in the paint in a variety of ways.

Lopez has two weaknesses; rebounding and aggressiveness. Weaknesses doesn't mean something you're terrible at, Lopez is just a B level rebounder. Derrick Rose is a C level shooter, but has other qualities that make him a top 5 pick just like Lopez.

• Size
• Length
• Frame
• Hands
• Coordination
• Timing
• Ability to run the floor
• Ability to establish position in post
• Ability to draw fouls
• Post-scoring
• Jump-hook
• Ability to face-up
• Medium-range jump-shot
• Perimeter shooting potential
• A presence in post defensively
• Lateral quickness
• Intelligence
• Extremely productive
• Plays under control

Lopez isn't a guy who's going to be at an MVP status, but he'll definately work his way to one of the better centers in the NBA.

Beasley and Rose are locks for Miami and Chicago, trading up is really unrealistic.
Unfortunately for the Knicks, the Timberwolves could use another big man to put in the frontcourt with Al Jefferson.
I hope the Timberwolves don't draft Lopez, but it's highly unlikely that they'll pass up on him. I think
DJ Augustin, OJ Mayo, or Anthony Randolph would make a good pick, if the Knicks are unable to draft Lopez.

TunerAddict

Starter
Unfortunately for the Knicks, the Timberwolves could use another big man to put in the frontcourt with Al Jefferson.
I hope the Timberwolves don't draft Lopez, but it's highly unlikely that they'll pass up on him. I think
DJ Augustin, OJ Mayo, or Anthony Randolph would make a good pick, if the Knicks are unable to draft Lopez.

They'd be dumb to pass him up. Al Jefferson was playing great at C, just imagine him at his natural positioin. Plus having a 7 footer will free him up. Its a good move to just help Al Jefferson.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Brook Lopez is way too mechanical for me.

PG: DJ Augistine- scouting report says he could be a better version of Jameer Nelson

SG: Mayo of course: Superstar Potential makes him the most intriguing prospect, really could put us back on the map

SF: Really we do not need another one on this team unless we trade atleast two of them this off season!

PF: We need one of these even less than we need a SF! But if we had to I would take Kevin Love. I like his skills, probably more a Robin than a Batman, but put with the right players could be good

C: DeAndre Jordan. I know the knock on him is that he could be a major bust. But he also could be the next dominant Center in this league. He would be everything Curry is not. The question is do you risk ending up with Dampier while in persuit of D. Howard!

Order at which Knicks should persue players

1.OJ Mayo- if he is still somehow around at six then we should take him. I think for sure Memphis snags him at the 5 spot if he drops even that low

2. Augustine- We have been cyring for a pure point since Larry Brown's first practice with the Knicks, now we have a chance to grab him. His only knock is his size. But Chris Paul isnt exactly Magic Johnson! My point is that a lack of size is not the end of the world! He could be just the perfect player for D'Antoni's system

3. Jordan: Too much potential not to seriously consider. It is worth the shot. No GM in the league would blame Walsh for taking a crack at him with Beasly, Mayo, and Rose off the board.

Paul1355

All Star
i just hope the knicks can get lopez or mayo because lopez is a definite knick need a tall center who can clog the post and rebound...run the court with d'antoni's game, etc. But this guy Mayo is going to be a leader just by his personality he never gives up no matter the costs this guy can thrive in NY...I'd still take Mayo over Lopez just becuase of Mayo's ability to take over games and become a leader.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Obviously Mayo would be the choice, but there is no way 3 teams pass on him and he falls on our lap. At this point Augustine seems like the front runner because we need a PG. I would prefer Bayless, but he'll be gone as well.

I believe that the top 5 players are

Rose
Beasley
Mayo
Lopez
Bayless

I don't see how the Timerwolves, Sonics, Grizzlies pass on Mayo, Lopez, or Bayless.

the # 6 is up in the air:

The italian kid
DJ
DeAndre Jordan
Ben Gordon Jr. ( Indiana SG)
Love