Marbury speaks out

metrocard

Legend
June 23, 2008 --

Stephon Marbury is happy to look ahead to a Mike D'Antoni future, not an Isiah Thomas past. Marbury said he feels he has a new lease on his Knicks career, even if president Donnie Walsh and coach D'Antoni may look for a point-guard-of-the-future during Thursday night's draft.

With one year left on his pact, Marbury is trying to rejuvenate his ankle and image this offseason. Marbury will practice with the Knicks' summer league team in Las Vegas next month. He jogged the Hollywood Hills for a full month following Walsh's order to get in the best shape of his career.

Marbury is working out at the Knicks Westchester facility with an old Phoenix friend, former Suns assistant Phil Weber, now on D'Antoni's Knicks staff.

"I'm full throttle," Marbury said.

Had Thomas stayed in power, Marbury said he knows his contract would have been bought out after the season. In an interview with The Post yesterday, Marbury said his contract was nearly bought out in November amidst the Nov. 13 Phoenix fiasco, when Marbury left the Knicks reportedly because he wasn't going to start anymore.

According to Marbury, Thomas did not just want him out of the starting lineup for Mardy Collins Mardy Collins in November, Thomas wanted him out of the organization and sent him home to have his contract bought out. Marbury said he still doesn't know how things changed the next day, when summoned back to Phoenix, the talk of a buyout history.

"Going AWOL is something I never would do," Marbury told The Post. "I would never just get up and walk out on the team and say, 'I don't want to play because I'm not going to start.'

"Why would I want to lose $250,000?" Marbury said. "The fans thought I just left the Knicks because Mardy was going to start over me. I was sent home for other reasons, not because I wasn't going to start. He wanted to go in a different direction. (Thomas) felt I wasn't going to get the job done."

Thomas fined Marbury but never commented on why Marbury left Phoenix, even after Marbury appealed the fine and said to The Post he was told to leave.

It's over now, and though Marbury still can't explain the sudden rift with Thomas, he's hoping a new regime will give him a chance to reverse last season's tragedy.

Three loved ones passed away - his aunt, Helen, his AAU coaching mentor, Lou "Mr. Lou" Williams, and his father, Don. "I had to mourn in public," Marbury said.

Marbury played just 24 games last season. His season was over in January after left ankle surgery. The 23-59 Knicks were not better without Marbury, but he still became the poster boy for that record.

"People say I'm sulking on the bench because I have towel on my head," Marbury said. "I'm keeping my head warm. I've done it since college. When we're losing, yes, I look mad. I am mad. I hate losing. You want me to be jumping up and down happy when we're losing?"

Marbury discounts claims he's not right for D'Antoni's system because he's 31 and Phoenix already traded him in January 2004.

"Mike didn't trade me," Marbury said. "He didn't have that power then. It's the way I play - up and down. Seven seconds or less. How can I not fit into that? You can push the ball. He's a guard's coach. I still have four, five years at a high level. I'm only 31, not 41."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06232008/sports/knicks/marbury_speaks_116753.htm

New New York

Quiet Storm
Lets let another pointless Marbaury fight begin!

Honestly it is irrelevant now Isiah is not coach or GM everyone is looking to the future. I know he felt he needed to clear the air, but this really is just a reminder of what we are trying to escape from.

I don't fault Metro for posting it, because it's current Knick news, but I do think it is meaningless as far as the future. One thing that I do find interesting is that according to reports (and who knows how reliable those are) the fight occured in front of teamates, if Isiah did indeed send him home for no reason why was his teamates so mad? If Isiah had went out of his way to make it seem as if Marbaury did go awol to his teamates, playing him the next night really makes no sense. Not saying Steph is lying, but I think there is a lot more to this story than just a blown defensive assignment on Jason Williams and then a demotion. The original report stated Dolan marched to Isiah's office right after the Heat loss which prompted Isiah to take action against Steph, are we to believe Dolan was that upset over a missed defensive assignment that to me would suggest Dolan knows a little something about how to play basketball, which we all know he doesn't.

Anyways this was probably the most bizare season in Knicks history so lets just look to the future, and I guess it is better Steph get that out now before our trip to Phoenix comes up next season and everyone starts asking about it again.

mynameis

Benchwarmer
Looks like another optimism from starbury...But this time I think it's for real...Starbury will be back dropping 25+ and 8 dimes....with playoff berth...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
No war words from me. I hope he comes back strong and plays well for us. Although much of what he said sounds a little flaky and he never addressed the supposed 'dirt' he had on Thomas, I've always said Marbury has played out of position for years. Yes he's got handles and can pass but he's a scorer. Let him score as the second scoring option behind Randolph or Curry and we'll be fine.

Hopefully Curry really is getting in shape and can run the fast break.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Great find, metrocard! Isiah Thomas sure is stupid. He was trying to buyout a 2x All Star's contract for Mardy Collins. And he didn't even try to do it in the summer. He had to wait till November. Thank god that idiot got fired. I would have died, if Mardy Collins was our new starting point guard. I would rather have an injured Steve Francis as our starting point guard, before Mardy Collins, and I seriously mean that.

PS-Doncris, don't listen to those crazy rumors. Curry couldn't run a fast break, if his life depended on it. He weighs almost 300 lbs. If Zach Randolph(who's 260 lbs) can't run a fast break, what makes you think Curry can? As for next year, I think Marbury should be the #1 scoring option. Isiah Thomas already failed at trying to make Curry and Crawford our go to guys. Let Marbury lead the Knicks to the playoffs, like the did in 04.

Toons

is the Bo$$
good news for knicks fans....i dont care about anything besides good news for our team. i like steph, but when he is outta line, im not gonna turn a blind eye because he sells inexpensive shoes n shit. Im proud that steph is taking a step in the right direction and turning over a new leaf. I hope he can lead our team like we all kno he is capable of. Now all i wanna hear is eddy curry looses 40 lbs n ill b excited

Starks

Starter
I wana here Isaiha's side of the story to. In fact, they should compare both stories and have espn make a tv movie about the last 3 years of the Knicks....at least a book on it.

It would be required reading for every Knick fan.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
marburyhi.jpg

15_marbury_lgl.jpg

All i cared about from that article is the fact that he is working hard to get ready for the season, he is improving his endurance to fit into the system we are playing and he will be fighting for a contract. Expecting a big year from Marbury, i don't want to forget about Marbury he is 31 he still has years, i just want to forget about Isiah, so i hope the media don't bring it up in interviews.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I really don't care what Steph says right now because before every season it's the same ol' positive words coming out of his mouth. I'm about action. If he shows NY on the court that he's back, then that's when he's back. Sorry, but I can't get all excited over some offseason words of glory.

As for Curry, if he doesn't make an effort to be a better center then he's treading in Jerome James territory, and that's a horrible place to be.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
PS-Doncris, don't listen to those crazy rumors. Curry couldn't run a fast break, if his life depended on it. He weighs almost 300 lbs. If Zach Randolph(who's 260 lbs) can't run a fast break, what makes you think Curry can? As for next year, I think Marbury should be the #1 scoring option. Isiah Thomas already failed at trying to make Curry and Crawford our go to guys. Let Marbury lead the Knicks to the playoffs, like the did in 04.

You could be right. And I know we can't keep looking backwards but Curry had a good year two years back and I didn't believe then that his potential was maxed out. I thought he would give us more. The analysts said that the pairing of Zach and Curry wouldn't work and they were right. This is what's most troubling to me, even more so than the antics of Marbury. One of these guys needs to go and the other needs to play their asses off.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
You could be right. And I know we can't keep looking backwards but Curry had a good year two years back and I didn't believe then that his potential was maxed out. I thought he would give us more. The analysts said that the pairing of Zach and Curry wouldn't work and they were right. This is what's most troubling to me, even more so than the antics of Marbury. One of these guys needs to go and the other needs to play their asses off.

I think that Curry has the build and potential to be a top 5 center but he NEVER will be. He doenst have the passion and the mental toughness. Zach at least loves the sport of basketball. Hes very talented. I would trade curry before snack ransoft. I think both of them need to go but who knows....if z-bo ever learned how to be more of a team player...and hes shown he can be a good passer at times...and put more effort in on defense....then maybe he could work out. I would try to move him this offseason but if anyone could get through to him its Mike Dantoni. I might be critical of the suns lack of defense but he knows how to get the most outta players on offense.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You're right. Whichever of the two stays does have to play their asses off. I hope that Donnie Walsh trades Curry and keeps Randolph, though. Randolph works hard on his game, and he's one of the elite power forwards in the NBA. I think he also needs to eventually get traded, too, because he's too much of a liabilty on defense, but I could see him contributing to the Knicks in a positive way for 1 or 2 more years. I see Curry playing like a mediocore role player, from now until the end of his career.

nyk24

Rookie
I'm saying anything bad about Marbury but we've been down this road before. He thought that Larry Brown would work out because he worked well with Iverson. That didn't work. He said Isaiah understands his game. That didn't work. Now he's saying that D'Antoni's system works for his game. I'm just glad he's committed to working his ass off this season. Thats all that matters to me. These guys can go 23-59 again. If they tank it, then its all for nothing.

Kiyaman

Legend
The best part of this article is something that Marbury should have done early in his career to make him a winning PG.

With one year left on his pact, Marbury is trying to rejuvenate his ankle and image this offseason. Marbury will practice with the Knicks' summer league team in Las Vegas next month. He jogged the Hollywood Hills for a full month following Walsh's order to get in the best shape of his career.

I think that Marbury should've practiced one or two summers on each of his teams Summer League games to feel out his rookie teammates, and get rid of that selfish label NBA coaches put on him. Especially when alot of Guards were drafted in the early Lottery Picks that offseason, Marbury should've been at those summer games to check out the new competition entering the league, he was the Franchise Player on each of his teams, but he has yet to prove it by lifting his teammates talents.
If Marbury shows up at the Vegas Summer League Games and practice with the team, I would give Marbury 30 mpg next season at PG and SG alongside of SF-Wilson Chandler and PG-Collins (both will be in the SLG.).

I don't fault Metro for posting it, because it's current Knick news, but I do think it is meaningless as far as the future. One thing that I do find interesting is that according to reports (and who knows how reliable those are) the fight occured in front of teamates, if Isiah did indeed send him home for no reason why was his teamates so mad? If Isiah had went out of his way to make it seem as if Marbaury did go awol to his teamates, playing him the next night really makes no sense. Not saying Steph is lying, but I think there is a lot more to this story than just a blown defensive assignment on Jason Williams and then a demotion. The original report stated Dolan marched to Isiah's office right after the Heat loss which prompted Isiah to take action against Steph, are we to believe Dolan was that upset over a missed defensive assignment that to me would suggest Dolan knows a little something about how to play basketball, which we all know he doesn't.

I have to agree with New New York on this one, there is alot more to this story than beats the eye of the truth inwhich we may never find out. There are to many unanswered questions to this AWOL snerio.

However, it's very funny how on so many Knick sites have the Marbury-Fans turning their back on Marbury this season and want the Knicks to get a PG in the draft with the 6th pick. Isiah Thomas included.
I still feel the Knicks should trade Crawford this draft night, because his performance this season did not support or co-exist with Marbury or Curry.
Maybe it is me, but I felt that Crawford should have did his best to help Marbury & Curry breakout of their slump.

I'm also suprise at the Phoenix coaching staff who labeled Marbury as a selfish player would jump at the oportunity to coach Marbury again.
But then again, by making Marbury practice with the Summer League Team is the solution to a big part of his problem.
Go Figure!
The Knicks should get a young SG with this 6th pick if Marbury will be in next season rotation.

If i was marbary i would keep quiet just becuase no one wants to hear what he has to say. I like him and i think he will be a good player for us next year but the majority disagrees. He has to prove them wrong on the court. You still see some members on here complaining even when he said he's going to practice with the summer league. And someone questioned if he was sent home or if it had to do with his basketball teacher dying. Its a lose lose for marbury. I dont know why everyone does not like him. Prove them wrong on the court marbary :crossfingers: :gony: