D'Antoni wants Mayo

metrocard

Legend
"Donnie Walsh made an interesting remark about Mike D'Antoni yesterday in his draft update. He said it's been a pleasure working with D'Antoni during this draft process, that he really knows what he wants.
And he definitely wants O.J. Mayo, which is why the KnicksNew York Knicks are trying to move up in a swap with either No. 3 Minnesota or No. 5 Memphis. Mayo isn't the most athletic player in the draft but he's a great shotmaker and the Knicks deem him a point guard, not a shooting guard. Mayo played shooting guard at USC out of necessity, PG in high school. The Knicks still feel there's a chance he can drop to 6 if Minnesota and Memphis are set on big men (Brook Lopez, Kevin Love)."

He also notes that Jerryd Bayless has fallen off of the Knicks' radar.

Wow...heavy news. I'm glad Bayless won't be drafted, I don't like his style of PG. He's just an athletic Carlos Arroyo to me without the passing ability.

I'm glad Mike is on the hunt for Mayo, hopefully we suceed!!!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The Beasley Bazaar

I do not see how the Knicks are going to get Mayo. If Chicago takes Beasley instead of Rose, there would be a shot, but Chicago appears committed to Rose. It appears that everyone other than Miami wants Beasley. Reports of Miami's reservations about Beasley have been consistent and Chad Ford's recent reports continue the trend.

Mayo appears to be the person Miami wants most, but Miami can take Beasley and then work out a deal. It does not have to trade the pick first. I do not expect that they will take Mayo 2nd. Miami can get Mayo and more from any one of Minnesota, Seattle and Memphis, each of whom will have an opportunity to pick Mayo before the Knicks.

Although Ford suggests that Miami is also high on Bayless or for some other point guard like Conley with Memphis, I will bet that it is smoke for the sake of getting better offers from the various Beasley suitors.

If Memphis has a shot at Beasley, we can forget about the trade for its 5th pick. And if Minnesota is in the mix for Beasley, why would it trade down?

I do not believe that the story will end on draft night. That will just be the start.

I hope that Memphis falls out of the Beasley pursuit early. I like the idea of the 5th and 6th pick even if one of them is not Mayo.

nyk24

Rookie
Mayo won't fall to 6 but what the Knicks could do is wait to see what Miami does at 2 and trade up to three or five.

For example, if Chicago takes Rose, Miami takes Beasley, the Knicks could send Malik Rose, David Lee or Nate Robinson to Miami for the 3rd pick to take Mayo. Then they could trade the 6th pick to New Jersey for the 21st pick and a second rounder. New Jersey could take Gallinari, keep Richard Jefferson and the Knicks could get a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Chris Douglas-Roberts and then look at JR Giddens or Joey Dorsey in the second round. We'd be replacing Lee's hard work and athleticism with Dorsey, get a good role player with upside in Giddens, and we know what we'd get from Mayo.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
:pray: for a miracle hopefully our luck as knicks fans change and we finally get our superstar player in Mayo...he's the perfect fit for us and were the perfect fit for him if only Donnie can pull it off and i think he will

TunerAddict

Starter
I'm glad Bayless won't be drafted, I don't like his style of PG. He's just an athletic Carlos Arroyo to me without the passing ability.

That is exactly how I see him. I've already stated he'll be a tweener who drops 15 ppg for a couple years but never does anything.

mwmphis and miami trade talks are almost completely dead due to the news that memphis refuses to include conley in any deal which is the main player miami wanted
this leaves the main suitors for the number 3 pick minnesota and us
however i do not want to make a deal with miami...
now before everyone goes off on me hear me out

in order to get this pick we would have to most likely give up lee and out pick there would be no getting around this

i would much rather make the deal with memphis and give up lee for two top 10 picks rather than one who will be good but may not live up to expectations

with two picks we could get westbrook or dj and alexander or gallinari

also there was reference in an earlier post to pick up a big man in the second round to replace lee... stupid idea wed be giving things away fro absolutely nothing ... this is not a particularly deep draft people that did good in college are not necessarily going to be good in the pros and there is almost no way you can make up for lee in the second round
the only way you can get evenclose in a later pick is to take a chance in the late teens early 20s on a bigman with a huge upside and much risk like randolph jordan ajinca mcgee this again tho is a big risk... if they pan out then they could replace lee if they dont then we lose yet again

also by the way i would definately be in favor for making a late move to get a guy like ajinca... from what i hear he has only been playing the sport for a limited time but is very talented and impressed many teams in work outs
if we could develope him we could have an athletic productive 7 footer on our hands

YEARITEHERE

Benchwarmer
Knicks, Walsh Trying To Trade Up For Mayo

With it being unlikely that O.J. Mayo will fall to New York at pick six, Knicks' President Donnie Walsh is believed to be exploring ways to move up to either third or fifth with Mayo the primary target, the New York Post is reporting.

According ESPN.com, the Knicks even discussed a trade with Memphis about acquiring the fifth pick altogether, in dealing David Lee and Malik Rose for Brian Cardinal, who has two years left on his pact.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Good news, i hope they trade up if they have to. If they cant get Mayo i think they should make a trade for another pick and draft brandon rush who i think will be a steal.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This may sound crazy but how about trading down instead of up. If we trade up we'd have to trade Lee and Rose, who has an expiring contract. That sounds a bit backwards to me. If we trade down, give up the sixth pick we could trade away some baggage like Jerome James or Eddie Curry. I'm sure Sacramento wouldn't mind swapping picks and getting Curry. Maybe even work out a deal that brings us Miller. Just a thought.

I'm not too optimistic about the whole Mayo thing. I just don't see it.

walsh said trading down to fit a teams need defeats the purpose and is how you cause busts the only way we trade down is if we stock pile expiring contracts and picks in exchange for our crappy contracts (curry, randolph, crawford) in that order.... walsh also made it sound as tho no one was interested in those players or were offering nothing close to what we would accept in exchange for them and the 6th pick

that means no trading down and no dj augustine

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
This may sound crazy but how about trading down instead of up. If we trade up we'd have to trade Lee and Rose, who has an expiring contract. That sounds a bit backwards to me. If we trade down, give up the sixth pick we could trade away some baggage like Jerome James or Eddie Curry. I'm sure Sacramento wouldn't mind swapping picks and getting Curry. Maybe even work out a deal that brings us Miller. Just a thought.

I'm not too optimistic about the whole Mayo thing. I just don't see it.

As someone whos part sicilian i like your sig

Hate to break the bad news and take the air out of everyones ballons but I just heard on ESPN it seems the Heat are deadlocked on taking OJ MAYO over beasley.

nyk24

Rookie
Knicks, Walsh Trying To Trade Up For Mayo

With it being unlikely that O.J. Mayo will fall to New York at pick six, Knicks' President Donnie Walsh is believed to be exploring ways to move up to either third or fifth with Mayo the primary target, the New York Post is reporting.

According ESPN.com, the Knicks even discussed a trade with Memphis about acquiring the fifth pick altogether, in dealing David Lee and Malik Rose for Brian Cardinal, who has two years left on his pact.

I really like the chances of this Memphis deal. It may be hard to believe because we've all come to appreciate what David Lee brings to the table and he's worked hard and all that, but guys like David Lee come along pretty often. More often if you have a team that has good chemistry. And lets not forget, Lee was the 30th pick when we took him. He's not indispensable. He can be replaced. I know we'd miss his intangibles and passion but if it gets us closer to a championship level, I'm all for it.

Another thing we could do instead of trading Lee, send Randolph. Its not like Memphis doesn't have the cap room. And the Grizzlies' front office isn't the smartest bunch and you know they're regretting giving away Pau Gasol, so we can convince them that Randolph is the low post offensive juggernaut they lack. They took Kwame Brown, I think they can do this. Then we could use one of the picks to trade down and get a guy like Roy Hibbert, and then acquire a second rounder and look for that diamond in the rough. Maybe Patrick Ewing Jr? He's not on any mock draft boards, so maybe we can sign him as an undrafted free agent. Nostalgia and curiosity alone would make the Knicks bring Patrick Ewing Sr on board to help coach. So many ideas, so little time.

Then we could use one of the picks to trade down and get a guy like Roy Hibbert, and then acquire a second rounder and look for that diamond in the rough. Maybe Patrick Ewing Jr? He's not on any mock draft boards, so maybe we can sign him as an undrafted free agent. Nostalgia and curiosity alone would make the Knicks bring Patrick Ewing Sr on board to help coach. So many ideas, so little time.

let me guess your a gtown fan.....
and ewing sr will prob never play in the nba... and hibbert while being a good role playing center a guy to grab some boards and play a little defense is not the big man i would take... i would center more on a guy who has more risk yet actually has a chance at one day being a starting center like ajinca or mcgee or jordan or even speights ... all would be better than hibbert

YEARITEHERE

Benchwarmer
Walsh Shops Randolph, Curry, Crawford

As Donnie Walsh's first draft at the helm of the Knicks approaches, he is faced with a complicated set of choices.

In an attempt to revamp the Knick roster and create salary cap flexibility, Walsh has been shopping the three Knicks with the largest contracts: Zach Randolph, Eddy Curry, and Jamal Crawford.

And, Walsh is testing the possibility of trading away the number 6 pick in a deal that would free the Knicks of an undesirable contract. "I haven?t seen that I?d be able to do that," Walsh said.

In declining comment on a rumored trade with the Grizzlies that would bring back their number 5 pick, Walsh said, "We have no deals right now."

Assuming the Knicks keep their pick, selecting the 19-year-old Italian forward Danilo Gallinari may give Knicks' fans a flashback to the infamous Fr?d?ric Weis pick; taking Arizona?s Jerryd Bayless, UCLA's Russell Westbrook, or Indiana's Eric Gordon would put another combo guard on the roster, and while DJ Augustin of Texas is a quality point guard who could very well be available, he is listed at 5 feet 11 inches.

Acquiring the point guard to key Mike D'Antoni's system may be easier to accomplish via trade. TJ Ford seems to be available.

Walsh and D'Antoni have made it known that they would like to part ways with Stephon Marbury. But trading Marbury for a longer-term contract would be dubious if the team is planning to create salary cap space. It is unknown whether Walsh would buy Marbury out.