Vin Baker may become a Knick

AJD

Benchwarmer
Vin could be
a Knick soon

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The agent for former Celtics power forward Vin Baker said yesterday his client should be signed by the end of the week, and that the Knicks are among Baker's top choices.
"The Knicks have a great chance," Aaron Goodwin said before the Knicks lost to the Cavs. "It's a great organization and they have number of people who are sensitive to the issues that Vin has gone through. They are also a playoff team and those are the categories we're looking for."

Detroit, Miami and Indiana are also said to be interested in Baker, who was released by the Celtics 10 days ago after being suspended for violating his drug aftercare program. Baker, a recovering alcoholic, had the final 21/2 years of his contract, worth $38 million, voided by the Celtics. Baker has filed an appeal through the Players Association, whose executive director, Billy Hunter, said yesterday that the union likely will give Baker the OK to sign with another team sometime within the next 48 hours.

"We just want to make sure it doesn't negatively impact his arbitration," Hunter said. "We hope to resolve that within the next day or so.

"If we believe it won't negatively impact it then we'll probably let him sign. If not then he may have to sit out until we get it resolved in arbitration because there is too much at stake. We have $38 million at stake and I can't take a chance on jeopardizing that by letting him sign a minimum salary with one of those teams."

If the 6-11 Baker is healthy, he can become the low post presence the Knicks covet. Before being released by Boston, Baker told several friends in the NBA that he would sign with the Knicks.

Baker was in New York last week but Goodwin denied that his client met with Knicks officials. Asked if such a meeting is scheduled to take place, Goodwin smiled and said, "No."

"Objectively, we'll look at what would be the best opportunity for him to better himself for...continued on the Daily News website.

What do you guys think about this?

l3fty

Rookie
That's all fine and dandy granted Baker is a legitimate presence in the low post. However, how many chances will this guy get? Thankfully, if the Knicks does sign him, it's not going to be a huge salary burden if Baker gets overcome by his problems again.

AJD

Benchwarmer
We won't have 2 make too manty changes. Baker has also been strong in the low-post all of his career. So you dont have to worry about that.

I am just pissed that we gave up Doleac, we should have signed him immediately!!! :wallbash:

WiL8000

Rotation player
I'm in full support of signing Vin. The pressure of playing well in New York can set him strait. Deke and Nazr are not impressing me with their uninspiring play as of late. I like the way Kurt Thomas has been playing though. If we can add Rasheed to the mix this summer, just think of how powerful the Knicks frontcourt would be.

jayp

Benchwarmer
yeah, the way our bigs are playing we should get someone (maybe baker) who is able (hopefully) to become a presence down low and score paint points..

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
AJD said:
We won't have 2 make too manty changes. Baker has also been strong in the low-post all of his career. So you dont have to worry about that.

I am just pissed that we gave up Doleac, we should have signed him immediately!!! :wallbash:

The Knicks couldn't sign him until he cleared waivers. Denver were able to sign him b4 he cleared waivers because they were under the salary cap.

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
According to the Boston Herald, Vin Baker is in NY to meet with Isiah Thomas and Knicks management. We'll see how this works out. Hopefully he'll be in a Knicks uni soon. We really need some help.

allan20

Benchwarmer
do we still need baker now that sweetney is playing so good? i agree, a 10 day contract will be a good solution, but we have to be very carefully with this. the risk isn't worthing

jayp

Benchwarmer
i think isaiah want to sign as many big men he can find on order to see who fits best with the team.. if he signs baker then probably at the end of the season one or two big men will get traded or waived..

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
The expansion draft is also coming up so we might lose some players there also. Im not worried about Baker because if Isiah do sign him it'll only be for the rest of this season. If it doesn't work then he's gone.