The Official 2008 Beijing FIBA Olympic Games Thread

metrocard

Legend
Wow...Arroyo got injured right before the Germany game vs Greece. Losing the best guard in the tournament is definately a big hit for PR.

PR needs new personnel, they don't enforce defense and let average offensive teams score 80-90 points wit ease.
Their coach is terrible.

Filiberto Rivera is trash.
We need Vassallo and Rosario on the team for offensive fire power.

Tough lost.

****, I'm pissed.

pat

Starter
Tough lost.

****, I'm pissed.

I wish both could have qualified. Both teams are way better than Iran. It's just that Nowitzki has done so much for basketball in Germany and this was probably his last chance to play an Olympic tournament. He deserves it.

metrocard

Legend
Group A:

Croatia
Argentina
Lithuania
Russia
Australia
Iran

Group B:

United States
Greece
Germany
Spain
China
Angola

Group B is obviously vastly superior and that will be tough for good teams like Angola and Germany who are better than teams like Crotia and Australia.

The favorites are Spain, USA, Argentina and Greece.

China has homefield advantage by far, so they will be a factor also.

Russia is okay.

I'll be rooting for Iran since Puerto Rico is out.

pat

Starter
I think Croatia are far than they were in past tournaments. They can play some tough defence and all in all had a very convincing tournament in Greece. I guess they could beat Australia and are somewhat better than Germany so it wouldn't be a problem for me if they advanced and Germany didn't.

Group B is really a tough one. I guess the only way Germany can qualify is by beating China (which they have done numerous times but China are going to be all fired up). Also it might be interesting to watch what the disappointment of losing in the finals has done to Gasol the elder. Greece can do a whole lot of damage as well. They play excellent team basketball and could easily win against Spain (and maybe even stage a Team-USA upset -- who knows).

All in all it will be a good tournament and that there are so many good teams who could easily advance to the second round shows that international basketball has come a long way since 1992.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Our man Ricky had 7 points in 10 minutes, he started to play in the 2nd half.

You could watch the games @ nbcolympics.com

Spain looks like the best team so far.

pat

Starter
Did you spot any undrafted players with NBA-potential so far (except obvious candidates such as Rubio)?

metrocard

Legend
Did you spot any undrafted players with NBA-potential so far (except obvious candidates such as Rubio)?

A lot of people are talking about that 7 foot center star from Iran.

But he's very stiff and doesn't have soft hands. He isn't athletic...he's pretty much just a guy who relies on his size to get around.

Australia has a SHITLOAD of guys who could be solid bench players. They could be an upset team like how Puerto Rico was in 2004.

Germany is pretty solid.

For Greece; Vassilis Spanoulis is a former NBAer...is a pure PG, doesn't have the athletic ability, but is a more scoring/defensive version of Calderon.

Dimitris Diamantidis is probably their best scorer.

Marko Tomas from Crotia is an animal, he can score and is just a very good all around player that can play multiple positions.,

China has Yi Jianlian, Yao, Wang Zhi Zhi, Sun Yue, and Chen Jinhua(I think I spelled his name around). Yi, Yao and Yue are already in the NBA, Chen is a 19 lighting quick PG...needs to work on his skills though. China has a very interesting team that really underachievers in my opinion. The talent is there.

All-tournament team:
Jose Calderon
Lebron James
Carmelo Anthony
Luis Scola
Marc Gasol

Top 5 in Scoring:
1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Yao Ming
3. Olimpio Cipriano
4. Marko Tomas
5. Linas Kleiza

Top 5 in Rebounding:
1. Dwight Howard
2. Yao Ming
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Andrew Bogut
5. Hamed Ehadadi

Top 5 in Assists:
1. Chris Paul
2. Jose Calderon
3. Pablo Prigioni
4. Sarunas Jasikevicius
5. Theo Papaloukas

For your squad Germany;

Tim Ohlbrecht is a PROSPECT to look at.
Born in 88, his idol is Dirk and he plays like Dirk.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tim-Ohlbrecht-536/

He hasn't produced yet, but he's ranked 9th internationally in the 88' class...he was number one before.

I noticed Germany has a pretty tall team. There are 5 players 6'11 or above on Germany. Maybe Dirk will run some point on an all 7 footer line up.

Unfortunately for Germany, this is a guard oriented basketball. Germany would be good in the NBA, but not in FIBA.

The courts are smaller, so less space for bigs to create.
If Germany had a guard, maybe Hinrich? I don't know why they didn't try to get him. Maybe because policy if you played for USA already you can't play for another team. But Germany would be SICK with Hinrich.

Hinrich/Hamann/Roller
Greene/Garrett
Wysocki/Schultze
Nowitzki/Jagla
Kaman/Fermerling/Ohlbrecht

pat

Starter
I think Olbrecht is a real talent and it really showed in the few minutes he had. As far as getting Hinrich is concerned: I really don't think they will go for it. My guess would be that Nowitzki retires from his national team career (just as the others of his generation have already announced --> Roller, Femerling, Okulaja, Garett).

I have to agree: Marko Tomas is monster and should be in the NBA. What do you guys think about Rudy Fernandez?

Last edited:

Pricey

Rotation player
A lot of people are talking about that 7 foot center star from Iran.

But he's very stiff and doesn't have soft hands. He isn't athletic...he's pretty much just a guy who relies on his size to get around.

Australia has a SHITLOAD of guys who could be solid bench players. They could be an upset team like how Puerto Rico was in 2004.

Germany is pretty solid.

For Greece; Vassilis Spanoulis is a former NBAer...is a pure PG, doesn't have the athletic ability, but is a more scoring/defensive version of Calderon.

Dimitris Diamantidis is probably their best scorer.

Marko Tomas from Crotia is an animal, he can score and is just a very good all around player that can play multiple positions.,

China has Yi Jianlian, Yao, Wang Zhi Zhi, Sun Yue, and Chen Jinhua(I think I spelled his name around). Yi, Yao and Yue are already in the NBA, Chen is a 19 lighting quick PG...needs to work on his skills though. China has a very interesting team that really underachievers in my opinion. The talent is there.

All-tournament team:
Jose Calderon
Lebron James
Carmelo Anthony
Luis Scola
Marc Gasol

Top 5 in Scoring:
1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Yao Ming
3. Olimpio Cipriano
4. Marko Tomas
5. Linas Kleiza

Top 5 in Rebounding:
1. Dwight Howard
2. Yao Ming
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Andrew Bogut
5. Hamed Ehadadi

Top 5 in Assists:
1. Chris Paul
2. Jose Calderon
3. Pablo Prigioni
4. Sarunas Jasikevicius
5. Theo Papaloukas

For your squad Germany;

Tim Ohlbrecht is a PROSPECT to look at.
Born in 88, his idol is Dirk and he plays like Dirk.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tim-Ohlbrecht-536/

He hasn't produced yet, but he's ranked 9th internationally in the 88' class...he was number one before.

I noticed Germany has a pretty tall team. There are 5 players 6'11 or above on Germany. Maybe Dirk will run some point on an all 7 footer line up.

Unfortunately for Germany, this is a guard oriented basketball. Germany would be good in the NBA, but not in FIBA.

The courts are smaller, so less space for bigs to create.
If Germany had a guard, maybe Hinrich? I don't know why they didn't try to get him. Maybe because policy if you played for USA already you can't play for another team. But Germany would be SICK with Hinrich.

Hinrich/Hamann/Roller
Greene/Garrett
Wysocki/Schultze
Nowitzki/Jagla
Kaman/Fermerling/Ohlbrecht
Who do u think from Australia could be solid bench players?

metrocard

Legend
Brad Newley is definately a guy who I could see be used a 6"6 guard
David Anderson has been one of the better big men in ACB(Euro)
Barlow is a 6"9 guard with range.
Mills plays for a very good college team, could be a potential 2nd rounder.

Pricey

Rotation player
Brad Newley is definately a guy who I could see be used a 6"6 guard
David Anderson has been one of the better big men in ACB(Euro)
Barlow is a 6"9 guard with range.
Mills plays for a very good college team, could be a potential 2nd rounder.
I think Newley was on Houstons list at one stage, correct me if im wrong.
David Barlow played for my team the Sydney Kings for a few years b4 going to Melbourne. The guy can really shoot and is very young.
Patty Mills will be in the NBA at some stage. I like his game alot.
I honestly dont know a lot about Andersen but heard he goes alright in his league he is in.

metrocard

Legend
I think Newley was on Houstons list at one stage, correct me if im wrong.
David Barlow played for my team the Sydney Kings for a few years b4 going to Melbourne. The guy can really shoot and is very young.
Patty Mills will be in the NBA at some stage. I like his game alot.
I honestly dont know a lot about Andersen but heard he goes alright in his league he is in.

Yeh, ACB is the best pro league behind the NBA, Anderson is one of the premier big men...very solid all around.

I'm rooting for Australia, Iran, and Spain...Spain are the favorites, but Australia reminds me of PR (not style), but a 6th-8th range seed team that could surprise people.

The League is Australia is pretty competitive also, the most competitive in Oceania...I hope it continues to get better, especially with all these American/Puerto Rican exports looking for jobs outside of the Americas.

Pricey

Rotation player
Yeah the NBL is a pretty good standard. Unfortunatley my side folded this season due to management not paying players and staff and we made the Finals so i was pretty happy. Unfortunatley basketball isnt supported within the corporate sector in Australia as much as other sports. Most companies invest in Australian Rules, Soccer and Cricket. Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.

pat

Starter
Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.

Same goes for Germany. The football world cup ruined a lot over here. Basketball is pretty much a minority sport. Nowitzki choking in the finals also didn't help much. Bringing in players from the Americas is a good thing to attract a bigger audience but playing international players has become an option that is way too cheap for clubs (cheaper than developing their own players). I think they (the German basketball association) moved in the right direction by starting a U20 farming league two years ago in order to balance out this development. Ohlbrecht is the first player developed in this league that made it into the A1 national team.

Last edited:

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Yeah the NBL is a pretty good standard. Unfortunatley my side folded this season due to management not paying players and staff and we made the Finals so i was pretty happy. Unfortunatley basketball isnt supported within the corporate sector in Australia as much as other sports. Most companies invest in Australian Rules, Soccer and Cricket. Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.

Sydney Kings?

Im a dragons fan, could definately see Ingles playing as a 6th man.

Barlow was picked by Houston, but not offered a contract.

We looked shit last night against croatia, ****ing bogut couldnt get a rebound, except he is improving alot in the NBA. A 15/10/2 centre at the moment