2008 Free agent pool. (as of june 30th)

Toons

is the Bo$$
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

thats the list of free agents in this off season, i see a lot of interesting prospects to go after, but i dont know how realistic it is to attain them.

heres my wish list.

1. carlos arroyo - great pg, maybe not a pass first gurad, but i see potential.

2. juannero pargo - not sure NO will let him go, but he is a free agent.

3. nenad kristic - we need kristic, he is healthy and can contribute

4. sebastian telfair - who else can replace marbs bette rthan telf?

5. juan carlos navarro - he has the potential to put up bette rnumbers than calderon this season

6. ben gordon - not a fav of mine, but we need 3 point threats, we see what happened to miami when they let kapono, posey, walker and other 3 point shoters go

7. josh smith - if we can get smith, knicks are in the finals next year.

not in any particular order

any other thoughts?

New New York

Quiet Storm

any other thoughts?[/quote]

Sorry but there is no one player that takes the Knicks to Finals next year, and if there was I doubt it would be Josh Smith

jzero29

Rotation player
There is no free agent that can get knicks to finals

We have to be carefull with free agents this year. If the theme is to get under the cap to make a run at a superstar, why bother to overpay a role player today, that will only take away salary cap room later. Why not give some young guy a chance, and hope he developes into a role player, he'll be twice as valuable. He'll be cheaper, and then his trade value will be good. If he doesn't develope then He's not costing much, we move on. Simple really, Isiah was such a moron.

metrocard

Legend
juan carlos navarro went to Europe.

We could use a crafty PG like Arroyo or Barea who drop a lot of dimes(not because I'm half Rican, these guys are more pass oriented PG's)

I don't know how we could get Josh Smith, but Josh Smith at PF and Gallinari at SF would be basically un fucking stoppable.

We could actually use Ben Gordon, who's better than Crawford.

I like Telfair, alot.

I don't want Krstic or Pargo.

portega1968

El Cacique
Carlos Arroyo would be awesome in Mike D'Antoni's offense. He can easily bring the ball up and get it to shooters, and easily knock down 3s. The offense he ran with the Puerto Rico national team in the 2004 Olympics is pretty much the same as the one DAntoni used in Phoenix. I'm sure he would gladly take the midlevel exception for two years

Beyond that, we shouldnt be looking at any free agents who command above the midlevel and more than two years.

Toons

is the Bo$$

any other thoughts?

Sorry but there is no one player that takes the Knicks to Finals next year, and if there was I doubt it would be Josh Smith[/QUOTE]

ur right, there is no 1 player, but i believe that if we can land josh smith in a sign and trade...maybe sum cash, we can get really far in the east. Josh smith led the nba in blocks last season....either him or camby. Josh smith is an all around guy, he plays with heart, goes after every ball, he's a straight hustler....he may not be able to take us to the finals, but if we get josh smith, that is a AUTOMATIC playoff spot.

marbury
crawford
smith
gallo
curry

metrocard

Legend
Carlos Arroyo would be awesome in Mike D'Antoni's offense. He can easily bring the ball up and get it to shooters, and easily knock down 3s. The offense he ran with the Puerto Rico national team in the 2004 Olympics is pretty much the same as the one DAntoni used in Phoenix. I'm sure he would gladly take the midlevel exception for two years

Beyond that, we shouldnt be looking at any free agents who command above the midlevel and more than two years.

Yeh brother, all Arroyo is a pick and roll PG, thats his best strength and is one of the best in the league at it.
I'm worried about him since he's injury prone, but he would be an upgrade.
What you think of the national team this year, you think we have a shot at Bronze?
I wish they invited AD Vassallo, Guillermo Diaz, Victor Diaz, Jonathan Rodriguez, and Mike Rosario, I hate when our coaches pick experience over talent. Its not like we win anything with our experienced guys. We have a lot of young talent in the NCAA that isn't getting international experience they need. We should be in a rebuilding process and these young kids should be part of it.
Your thoughts?
peace brother.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would love to have Arroyo he could do exactly what D'Antoni wants he dishes to the open man and he could knock down 3's but i'd love the knicks to try and do a sign and trade for Smith or Ellis....imagine Chandler at the 2 Gallo at the 3 and Smith at the 4 thats a dangerous trio..or Ellis Chandler and Gallo..Ellis i think D'Antoni can turn him into a point gaurd

gordon would be and upgrade over Crawford instantly

Toons

is the Bo$$
In related news, Sebastian Telfair and Kirk Snyder will both become unrestricted free agents after the June 30 deadline. That doesn't mean the Wolves can't sign either player to respective deals ... But if another team makes an offer to Telfair and Snyder that the Wolves choose to match, neither player is obligated to re-sign with Minnesota

i hope donnie looks at telfair and sees the potential

BCKnicks

Rookie
Question/ Comment
What are your guys thoughts on Shaun Livingston? He is coming off of a devastating knee injury and any team that signs him could nto realistically expect much out of him as a PG. All that said, he does have a ton of talent (or at least did) and might be worth signing to a very reasonable contract if possible. The Knicks aren't ready to really contend yet, so maybe this guy could be worth a low-risk/ high reward type gamble.

Paul1355

All Star
i like the thought of picking up one of these guys but no one has happened to realize that we are in so much debt that signing a guy like a josh smith prob wont be possible...i would lvoe to have smith he can score and is a great defender and young but it prob wont happen...guys dont expect a big name untill 2010..walsh has a plan and if he messes with it then he's gonna be a confused gm and dig himself a hole with more debt...sign role players and hope that d'antoni can make our offensive alot better and maybe sign a defensive C which is a big need.

GetRealistic

Starter
Question/ Comment
What are your guys thoughts on Shaun Livingston? He is coming off of a devastating knee injury and any team that signs him could nto realistically expect much out of him as a PG. All that said, he does have a ton of talent (or at least did) and might be worth signing to a very reasonable contract if possible. The Knicks aren't ready to really contend yet, so maybe this guy could be worth a low-risk/ high reward type gamble.

He is deffinately the definition of low-risk/high reward player. You'd have to be ready for him to not contribute at all this year but when he was healthy which seems like years ago he was emerging as a great penetrater and assist man.

I'd rather have a Duhon, Hinrich, or even Baron Davis but i see the potential there.

Starks

Starter
He is deffinately the definition of low-risk/high reward player. You'd have to be ready for him to not contribute at all this year but when he was healthy which seems like years ago he was emerging as a great penetrater and assist man.

I'd rather have a Duhon, Hinrich, or even Baron Davis but i see the potential there.

In the guard department, I want Livingston. This is dude that was gettin compared to Magic Johnson until he got hurt. He costs us nothing compared to the contracts that Zeke was throwing around. He is also is hell bent on proving the world wrong. Not to mention he is young dude in mid 20s and probably wants to cash in and make it rich more than any other player.

More importantly, HE IS A PASS FIRST POINT GUARD. The Knicks haven't had a Point Guard like that since the Nixon Administation. (came close when they alomst signed for Rod Strickland, Terrell Brandon and Andre Miller)

For god sakes, can we finally just sign a point guard that knows how to do his job???? It's not rocket science

This would be priority number 1 for me right now.

metrocard

Legend
Is it really that smart to gamble on a injury prone PG who's not even condition to play a full 82 game season, let alone be a full time starter?
I never liked injury prone players, most of the time they never recover from their former level of play.
Is it a risk we need? I don't think so.
Theres a lot of pass first PG's in the NBA a lot of people sleep on, especially guys like Sessions and Barea.

Shaun Livingston being compared to Magic Johnson is like Darius Miles being compared to Tracy McGrady. Just a comparison based on the players being the same size and playing the same position.

Livingston at best will be a 6"7 Brevin Knight with slow foot quickness.

Its a risk I'm only willing to take if his health is for sure going to be stable for the next 5 years.
Another downfall on Livingston is his lack of experience. He came out of high school and went straight to the NBA. In his NBA seasons, he's been on the IR a lot and missed a lot of games. Thats a lot of lost experience which could of been valuable to his career and take him to the next level.
Just too risky.

BCKnicks

Rookie
I wouldn't want to only sign Livingston and say we're set at the point, but if wwe're lookign at a marginal pro like Duhon as a stop gap and we can also get Livingston provided we have the moeny and the roster space I think it'd be a great idea. A gamble, yeah... he may never be the same, but we don't have to give him a ton of money or the reigns ot the team... just a thought.

youpddd

Rookie
we should try kyle lowry. a hard nose defender who's also a pass first guy. im not high on arroyo because he's such a bad defender.