Farewell Marbury???

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
New York Times:
Whether Marbury will be traded, bought out of his contract or simply waived is yet to be determined. But people with close ties to Donnie Walsh, the team president, and Coach Mike D?Antoni consider Marbury?s departure a near certainty.

Even before signing Duhon, the Knicks had resolved that they could not move forward while Marbury was still in the locker room. In their brief time with the franchise, Walsh and D?Antoni have learned how incredibly unpopular Marbury is with his teammates.

For all of Marbury?s talent, the Knicks have not had a winning record since he joined the team in January 2004. He has played for five head coaches in four seasons and famously clashed with the last two, Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas. As team president, Thomas acquired Marbury in a blockbuster trade. They considered each other close friends. But their relationship soured in November and derailed the Knicks? season.

Newsday:
Short of finding a team willing to take Marbury's $21.9-million expiring contract in a trade, the only other possibility is a buyout.

"We've been given all assurances that they're not bringing Chris here to sit on the bench," Bradbury said.

New York Daily News:
Duhon had narrowed his choices down to New York and Orlando and he elected to sign with the Knicks because the club promised him a starting job. That promise suggests that the Knicks are prepared to release Marbury, whose contract expires in 12 months. Although Marbury is supremely more talented, the controversial point guard has alienated teammates as well as Garden chairman James Dolan, who remains loyal to former team president and coach Isiah Thomas.

Duhon's arrival forces the Knicks to make a move with one of their guards and the likely candidate is Marbury. The Knicks would only trade Marbury if they can acquire a player who is in the final year of his contract.

Otherwise, the team can either negotiate a buyout or release him outright. Nate Robinson and Mardy Collins are two point guards also under contract, and starting shooting guard Jamal Crawford can play the position.

Could this really be the end of the Starbury era? I got just one comment I'd like to say regarding Duhon and all this expectations on their side of him starting, does this remind you guys of Jerome James' signing? LOL! I remember him bragging about being the new starter of the Knicks and we all know how that ended up - a waste of money. LOL! But of course I'm not saying Duhon's gonna meet the same fate. It just crossed my mind, but that's it. I'm actually starting to like Chris Duhon. And I'm glad Nash thinks Duhon's gonna learn well from D'Antoni the same way he did. I'm surprised about his night life problems though.. Hope it doesn't become an issue.

note: quotes taken from the ff:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ris_duhon_agrees_in_principle_to_twoye-1.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/05/sports/basketball/05knicks.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix055753272jul05,0,7555166.story

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, I'd say Stephon is done. Thats too many writers saying there's a fire for Steph not to go. Signing Duhon also adds more fuel to the rumors.

Flat out releasing Steph doesn't seem like the logical move but if the Knicks brass thinks he has negative value then he's done.

NYKnicks15

Starter
sadly or not so sadly stephon marbury WILL be gone before camp. his contract will either be waived or traded in an attempt to take perhaps a 2 year bad contract that will still expire before 10-11 in hopes of getting draft picks or a valuable piece. i think that is less likely to happen compared to just waiving him and calling it a day

im sure a few teams even say the cavs for say wally and ben wallace would jump on this deal. ps im not saying id take that wally deal unless it involved a pick or two but im just giving you an idea. portland possible as well or even chicago

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
only way i see marbury being gone is by being bought(which i dont want), i dont see any team interested in marbury even though he's an expiring contract, all star break he'll get traded if he dont turn it around and i expect em to get bought out wit what ever team decides to get em

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury

As long as he behaves himself and is not minimized by his injuries, I believe it is senseless simply to let Marbury go. Duhon is not at Marbury's level of physical ability. There will still be plenty of playing time for Duhon and perhaps he wil be the starter in his second year with the Knicks.

Marbury could well be worth something at the trading deadline, partilcularly if he plays anywhere close to his potential. I think the writers are all jumping to the wrong conclusions. Marbury will be on a short leash, but the Knicks are not simply going to pay him and let him go.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Stephon Marbury is the best player on this team, and whoever thinks otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. If the Knicks plan on waiving Marbury and starting Chris Duhon, I guarantee that the Knicks will finish with a franchise low 22 wins, if not less. The Knicks are a combined 22-66, in games that Marbury has missed, over the last 3 years. We will see a continuation to that, if they get rid of Marbuy and keep Chris Duhon.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
sadly or not so sadly stephon marbury WILL be gone before camp. his contract will either be waived or traded in an attempt to take perhaps a 2 year bad contract that will still expire before 10-11 in hopes of getting draft picks or a valuable piece. i think that is less likely to happen compared to just waiving him and calling it a day

im sure a few teams even say the cavs for say wally and ben wallace would jump on this deal. ps im not saying id take that wally deal unless it involved a pick or two but im just giving you an idea. portland possible as well or even chicago

Yes all roads seem to lead to Marbury leaving, right even before the season. It's surprising, but maybe the situation in the team is worse than we all think despite his talent. One good point I read somewhere was that with him having a contract year, and hence would be wanting to push himself and showcase himself, he'd most likely be a detriment to the other guys especially the young ones, and obviously a disruption to the D'Antoni offense. Chicago could be a possible destination for Zach. As for Marbury, I'm not sure.

Stephon Marbury is the best player on this team, and whoever thinks otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. If the Knicks plan on waiving Marbury and starting Chris Duhon, I guarantee that the Knicks will finish with a franchise low 22 wins, if not less.

True Marbury is the best player on this team, or at least the 2nd best player, but without a doubt much much better than Duhon. But like I said it has probably come to the point when the "best player" isn't even worth keeping. And I think that tells a lot about Marbury's character. It's just amazing how his exit comes in the form of Duhon.

Signing Duhon also adds more fuel to the rumors.

Yup. The turning point seems to be when the Knicks appeared to have promised Duhon the starting job.

only way i see marbury being gone is by being bought(which i dont want), i dont see any team interested in marbury even though he's an expiring contract, all star break he'll get traded if he dont turn it around and i expect em to get bought out wit what ever team decides to get em

I'm really surprised his expiring contract isn't worth much, or maybe other teams just don't want to give the Knicks what they want in return - draft picks and contracts that expire by 2010. But I just hope we don't just simply waive him.

Paul1355

All Star
If more reports pop up that Duhon is GURANTEED a starting spot then you'd have to say Marbury is out...but it's really risky putting all your faith to a kid that's never been a legit starter and pass up one more year with a veteran who i personally think wants a comeback and is a little hungry for this basketball season to start. And we all know when Marbury wants to play and take over, he does just that, and does it well. I think signing Duhon to 2 year 12 million was big for a guy like him but that's what you get for coming to the Knicks...big contracts. But being that Walsh is planning for most of his players contracts to expire 2010 he has a vision and and a plan...and Duhon is just a gurantee that Walsh doesnt turn out looking like an Isiah an getting no body in free agency. Buying out Marbury is foolish unless he becomes a distraction off the bat but being what he's gone through recently with his father dieing, i think Marbury is growing up a little bit and might show some leadership this year i expect a turn around for him...maybe my hopes are too high for this guy because his ego is the size of a planet...but this year is dif for Marbury...off the court troubles personally for him...new coach (players coach), new management, i think he'll want to impress more than ever.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Marbury to Boston?! San Antonio?! Miami?

LOL! The media right now are pulling off ideas that Marbury might very well end up as a back-up in Boston, San Antonio, or in Miami! Boston and San Antonio? No way. Boston has always needed a back-up point guard but in now way are they gonna be interested with Marbury. They don't need any distractions now that their team chemistry and defense are solid and unbreakable. And San Antonio? They're still a championship-caliber team. Don't see why they'd take that much of a risk on Marbury, who isn't even past his prime yet. He'd most certainly try to take the limelight instead of being a reliable player off the bench. And more importantly, can you envision Marbury playing off the bench?? As for Miami.. maybe just maybe.. he could end up there and start alongside Wade. If he ends up there then great and good luck to him. He might even flourish there. But I just can't see it happening.

yo there is no way stephon is leaving NY before then end of the season. It would be THE stupidest move by the knicks in recent history. And I'm tired of hearing it all over the news too cuz all the dumb ass sportscasters who know nothing about the knicks see stephon as a selfish player just because all they have heard about is when steph left after being benched for MARDY COLLINS.and isiah didn't help his reputation neither. The guy is our best player Sure he's a little over paid but so is everybody on this team.he's gonna have a career year this year with isiah out of his hair.

jzero29

Rotation player
Not sure, think it's a bad move

This is a terrible move. Duhon BLOWS. He shoots worse then crawford.
Marbury has talent and if he's been working his @ss off to get back to top form, maybe they should at least give him a shot?
His contract is valuable if you were tryingto aquire another player, you could trade for another player signed long term, but thats not what the KNicks are trying to do. A team would gladly take a 20mil exp contract, and to get ride of 20 mill of contracts that term more then a year.
But the knicks don't want to add contract years, they will only trade for an equal amount of exp contracts, which makes it a player for player or players deal. and makes steph not valuable to us or other teams. Unless we let him play and he produces, then he will be valuable, but then why trade him?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
This is a terrible move. Duhon BLOWS. He shoots worse then crawford.
Marbury has talent and if he's been working his @ss off to get back to top form, maybe they should at least give him a shot?
His contract is valuable if you were tryingto aquire another player, you could trade for another player signed long term, but thats not what the KNicks are trying to do. A team would gladly take a 20mil exp contract, and to get ride of 20 mill of contracts that term more then a year.
But the knicks don't want to add contract years, they will only trade for an equal amount of exp contracts, which makes it a player for player or players deal. and makes steph not valuable to us or other teams. Unless we let him play and he produces, then he will be valuable, but then why trade him?

Amen, I'm glad somebody finally pointed out Duhon's terrible fg%(a career 38.4%).

I'd also like to point out the fact that Chris Duhon was about to get waived by the Bulls, earlier in the 07-08 season. They only kept him, because he had a 22 point, 15 assist game, and they thought that they could package him in a trade, after his performance. Duhon ain't all that. 12 million dollars was too much money for him. We could've probably signed Royal Ivey for less money(also a good defender who can play the point or two guard) or Mikael Pietrus(a better shooter than Duhon).

Here's the link of the article where the Bulls were planning on waiving Duhon:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-05-bulls-bits-chicago-duhonjul05,0,4899495.story

It's on the 7th paragraph.

I thought it would've been good to sign Duhon, but the money he was given is rediculous.

NYKnicks15

Starter
marbury is a goner. i like stephon, as a person not so much as a teammater and of course as a player though. but hell end up in miami, if we can somehow swing a marion for marbs trade with the bad contract of blount included theyd be incredible. but highly unlikely unless we include dlee.

anyway, i dont understand why we are bashing the duhon signing? he is a pure point guard.. isnt that what weve been asking for. not another scorer. a pure point guard who plays d and can run a team. we got one and we are gonna complain? and what does it matter on how much we spent for him? hell be off the books in 10-11 when we need him to be and his contract is an expiring one next season. big deal ppl. is it coming out of your paychecks? no. and if orlando made this signing van gundy and crew would look like geniuses.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
marbury is a goner. i like stephon, as a person not so much as a teammater and of course as a player though. but hell end up in miami, if we can somehow swing a marion for marbs trade with the bad contract of blount included theyd be incredible. but highly unlikely unless we include dlee.

anyway, i dont understand why we are bashing the duhon signing? he is a pure point guard.. isnt that what weve been asking for. not another scorer. a pure point guard who plays d and can run a team. we got one and we are gonna complain? and what does it matter on how much we spent for him? hell be off the books in 10-11 when we need him to be and his contract is an expiring one next season. big deal ppl. is it coming out of your paychecks? no. and if orlando made this signing van gundy and crew would look like geniuses.
Duhon would make a good backup but not a starter. Like I said earlier, if the Knicks waive Marbury and start Duhon, they will finish with a franchise low 22 wins, if not less. Chris Duhon is not capable of being a starter on a successful team. The only team I could see him starting on is the Lakers(because they have Kobe) or the Miami Heat(because they have Dwyane Wade). The Knicks don't have Kobe or Wade. We have Crawford. A lineup of Duhon and Crawford will get crushed by 95% of the NBA's backcourts.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Duhon would make a good backup but not a starter. Like I said earlier, if the Knicks waive Marbury and start Duhon, they will finish with a franchise low 22 wins, if not less. Chris Duhon is not capable of being a starter on a successful team. The only team I could see him starting on is the Lakers(because they have Kobe) or the Miami Heat(because they have Dwyane Wade). The Knicks don't have Kobe or Wade. We have Crawford. A lineup of Duhon and Crawford will get crushed by 95% of the NBA's backcourts.

Why would the Knicks be worse with out Marbury then they have been for the past 5 seasons? We didn't have him last season and we sucked. The difference is that last season we didn't have a true point guard to substitute for Marbury and we do now. The back court of Marbury/Crawford has been getting crushed for the last five years. Trading them both for any one that can shoot and finish drills would be a leap in the right direction.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Why would the Knicks be worse with out Marbury then they have been for the past 5 seasons? We didn't have him last season and we sucked. The difference is that last season we didn't have a true point guard to substitute for Marbury and we do now. The back court of Marbury/Crawford has been getting crushed for the last five years. Trading them both for any one that can shoot and finish drills would be a leap in the right direction.
SMH @ Doncris' stupid statement. What are you talking about? The Knicks are 22-66, in games that Marbury has missed, over the last 3 years.

2005-2006 season: record without Marbury 3-19
2006-2007 season: record without Marbury 2-6
2007-2008 season: record without Marbury 17-41
2007-2008 season: record without Mabury in the starting lineup 17-46

The Knicks will definitely be worse without Marbury. Let's compare the 08-09 projected lineup, if we have Marbury vs if we have Duhon.

PG Marbury SG Crawford SF Gallinari PF Randolph C Curry

PG Duhon SG Crawford SF Gallinari PF Randolph C Curry

Both lineups suck, but the one with Duhon looks even worse. The lineup with Duhon reminds me of a division 3 college team.

Also, the Knicks made the playoffs 4 years ago. I know that's nothing to be proud of, but Duhon can not get the Knicks to the playoffs ever.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
SMH @ Doncris' stupid statement. What are you talking about? The Knicks are 22-66, in games that Marbury has missed, over the last 3 years. The Knicks will definitely be worse without Marbury. Let's compare the 08-09 projected lineup, if we have Marbury vs if we have Duhon.

PG Marbury SG Crawford SF Gallinari PF Randolph C Curry

PG Duhon SG Crawford SF Gallinari PF Randolph C Curry

Both lineups suck, but the one with Duhon looks even worse. The lineup with Duhon reminds me of a division 3 college team.

Also, the Knicks made the playoffs 4 years ago. I know that's nothing to be proud of, but Duhon can not get the Knicks to the playoffs ever.

You don't know that because it remains to be seen what Duhon, a team player can actually do with this team. But we've all seen what Marbury can do to every team he plays for. Would you actually rebuild this team around Marbury? This aint the late 90's, the Starbury shit only lives in the shoes. It's dead on the court. Plus he's coming of an ankle injury so we don't know what he'll do next season.

I'm not saying that Duhon's a better player then Marbury. I'm saying he'll be a better teammate and leader then Marbury. Maybe another team will buy into the Starbury hype so we can move the dead weight. I like 15's idea about Marion.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You don't know that because it remains to be seen what Duhon, a team player can actually do with this team. But we've all seen what Marbury can do to every team he plays for. Would you actually rebuild this team around Marbury? This aint the late 90's, the Starbury shit only lives in the shoes. It's dead on the court. Plus he's coming of an ankle injury so we don't know what he'll do next season.

I'm not saying that Duhon's a better player then Marbury. I'm saying he'll be a better teammate and leader then Marbury. Maybe another team will buy into the Starbury hype so we can move the dead weight. I like 15's idea about Marion.
Man, I'm not gonna argue with you about Duhon. It would be stupid for me to argue something as rediculous as that with you. Even most of the Marbury haters agree that Marbury is > Duhon , and you're talking about that Duhon is a good team player and all that nonsense.

Let's look at the facts:
Marbury averages a 19.7 points and 7.8 assists, as a starter, and he's been to the playoffs 4x. He's the ONLY current Knick to have made the playoffs with the Knicks.

Chris Duhon was given the starting job, on the Bulls, as a rookie, and he averaged 5.9 points per game, on 35% shooting. On his sophomore season, he shot 40%, on his 3rd year, he shot 40%, and last year, he shot 38% from the field, including 32% shooting in the months of January and February. He completely folded, which is why they had to start Kirk Hinrich in place of him. If Duhon is a such a great leader and a team player, why did the Bulls bench him for Hinrich?It's on this link, if you wanna see it.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_duhon/career_stats.html

The fact that you think Duhon can do better for the team than Marbury can proves you're an idiot. Even the Bulls fans were laughing their asses off, after the Knicks signed Duhon.

Here's more interesting facts for you:
Jamal Crawford and Eddy Curry both came to the Knicks from the Bulls, and the Knicks have been a .300 team since. Duhon is not better than Crawford or Curry(sad but true).

Donnie Walsh basically got tricked. He took the trash that the Bulls didn't want, just like the Knicks took Crawford and Curry, after the Bulls were done with them.

Like I said before, Duhon would make a good backup, but as a starter, he's going to choke. The way he played as a starter for the Bulls in the past is proof of this.

The fact that you think Duhon could help the team more than Marbury doesn't surprise me, though. You were also one of the people that believed in Eddy Curry. lmao

Case Closed. I'm done talking. If you wanna keep arguing over something that you're clearly mistaken about, go ahead. If I was wrong, I would admit it. But in no way am I stupid by saying Marbury is a better leader than Duhon.

GetRealistic

Starter
Fact of the matter is Marbury is finally gone. Now we all can move on. The day he is bought out should go down as one of the most important days in Knicks history.

The "so called" franchise player whose proclaimed every season that this is th year he is going to turn it around is finally gone. Duhon isn't as good as Marbury but its simple addition by subtraction. Just removing him from the locker room instantly makes us better.

Then we can move Zach and Crawford and try to forget the last 5 seasons.