Marbury isn't leaving the Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocard

Legend
If Marbury, returning from ankle surgery, does not look good in camp, there's a chance he could be waived.
For now, the plan is for Marbury and Duhon to compete during training camp

Obviously, Marbury is on a totally superior level ahead of Duhon and would dominate him in training camp.

Marbury is staying in NYC, I'm sick of everyone from the Daily News, NY1 Sports, SNY trying to say Marbury is done like a bunch of haters.

This isn't a smart move. Marbury has an expiring contract and is still a very productive player. Does are two facts we can't ignore.

Having him on the roster this year would a luxury for us, a veteran PG who could give you 15+ and 5+ assist. Marbury makes the game easier for his teammates, but Crawford and Curry averaged career highs playing under Stephon. His ability to penetrate and create opens up a lot of plays for our players who just stand around waiting for the ball.

Really, is waiving the best passer, talent, penatrator and veteran on this team a good move?

dre48ny

Rotation player
Yeah man, I don't see what the benefit of cutting him is at all. Still gotta pay him, why not use his services. He is still very skilled. He is 3 years younger than Steve Nash, so he can still play!!!

knicklover

Benchwarmer
From the NY Times:

"Even before signing Duhon, the Knicks had resolved that they could not move forward while Marbury was still in the locker room. In their brief time with the franchise, Walsh and D?Antoni have learned how incredibly unpopular Marbury is with his teammates."

"D?Antoni has told friends that the Knicks are much better than their 23-59 record last season indicated and that team chemistry was the greatest problem. Cutting ties with Marbury is viewed as a critical first step in changing a losing culture."

metrocard

Legend
Cutting ties with Curry and Crawford would be more criticial, they're bigger losers than Marbury, worst defenders, and not really as good as Steph. Plus they have 3 years on their deal.

Its really disgusting how these weird rumors are leaking out, waiving an expiring contract shouldn't be a priority.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I may agree with the fact that Marbury can be good and is better than Duhon, but if Mike D wants him gone I think he has to go. In order to win Mike D needs his own players and not players left over from the you know who era.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I keep hearing conflicting reports about him being kept on for sure, then other reports about he being waived for sure.

I think the problem has nothing to do with on court performance, because as I have stated before there is no reason to think he wouldn't do well in his offense (Dantoni even said it when Isiah first took over as coach, and he wanted to use Phoenix's style). But it appears Steph has no backing from his teamates, and the team owner. Not to mention his battles with his past two coaches has to warrent concern even if Mike Dantoni and him had a good relationship in Phoenix (remember Isiah was once a father figure). Plus don't under estimate Herb's voice in this case, he has been the only coach to be with Steph from day one till now. Now Herb has never said anything publicly against Steph,but he has seen a lot, and Donnie values his opinion.

IMHO I would give Steph a shot, but with the understanding that if he speaks out once he's a goner! So if in his opinion he is outplaying Duhon but Duhon is getting more minutes, he going to just need to accept it and not go to the press with it.

See then again it is the concern for such an incident that really makes an argument for waiving him. But lets just hope it all works out for the good of our team

New New York

Quiet Storm
Cutting ties with Curry and Crawford would be more criticial, they're bigger losers than Marbury, worst defenders, and not really as good as Steph. Plus they have 3 years on their deal.

Its really disgusting how these weird rumors are leaking out, waiving an expiring contract shouldn't be a priority.

I think it has more to do with deading all the drama and creating a new culture then just getting his contract off the books.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I think it has more to do with deading all the drama and creating a new culture then just getting his contract off the books.

If they wind up buying him out or trading him, it will be totally about his unpopularity in the locker room, potential distractions, creating a new culture etc...

He's obviously more talented and skilled than Duhon and a lot of other PGs in the league. Plus a large expiring contract is typically pretty valuable.

But you can't win when there's constant drama and infighting. Drama has followed Steph everywhere he's been (starting with Garnett) and continuing with multiple coaches. He may have simply run out of second chances. Management may be at the point where they would rather have a less talented player and team just to be heading in the right direction in other ways. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

Personally, I think they are going to keep him for awhile and then try to trade that contract at some point.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If they wind up buying him out or trading him, it will be totally about his unpopularity in the locker room, potential distractions, creating a new culture etc...

He's obviously more talented and skilled than Duhon and a lot of other PGs in the league. Plus a large expiring contract is typically pretty valuable.

But you can't win when there's constant drama and infighting. Drama has followed Steph everywhere he's been (starting with Garnett) and continuing with multiple coaches. He may have simply run out of second chances. Management may be at the point where they would rather have a less talented player and team just to be heading in the right direction in other ways. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

Personally, I think they are going to keep him for awhile and then try to trade that contract at some point.

Exactly. Good post. If Marbury is bought out, that means Donnie based it on interviewing his teammates, not talent level. Or, like someone else posted, Mike D doesn't want him here because he's coached him before. Again, nothing to do with talent. Nobody has ever complained about Marbury's talent.

Starks

Starter
Yea, I don't think there is any question of steph's skills, but to fans, players, management, other teams, the media, and the rest of the nba, he symbolizes the Knicks losing culture and issues from the Isaiah Era.

Getting rid of him is more about turning the page in Knicks history, a symbolic move. You think of the Thomas era, and the player directly in the center of that is Marbs.

It's like when East and West Germany brought down the wall. Communism was defeated, but as long as that wall was up no one would believe it. That wall had to be torn down to tell the rest of the word that its a new day.

It's not really about stats and productivity in this team's eyes.

Still just because of all that money coming off the books, I wouldn't trade him unless some young studs became available. If not, it makes reasonable sense to let that contract expire.

Gotta wonder what if feels like for Steph though. He must be pissed and embarrassed that all summer long, anytime he turns his head, everyone from his own new coaches to every paper in town, are calling on him to just leave New York and go away.

It's like the kid in high school that sits alone at lunch because anytime he chooses a table, everyone gets up and leaves.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
lol at ya thinking marbury being bought out has to do wit his talent, lol, it has nothing to do wit the talent cuz if it was his talent steph wont be going anywhere, it has to do wit his teammates(well most of em, maybe all of them) doesnt like the guy and u cant win like dat

metrocard

Legend
Honestly, **** these teammates.

Crawford plays like an idiot on the court and Curry shows no passion in the game.

Waiving Marbury would be a MISTAKE, the problem from the Isiah era was ISIAH himself, not really Marbury. Marbury was just a scapegoat for Isiah, nothing more.

Again, management doesn't NEED to make this move.

If you consider this; Marbury has a good season, it'll increas his value and his expiring contract which would make it a very good trading asset that could lure us a superstar the same way Boston got Garnett.

This move isn't NEEDED and won't improve anything.

Marbury's problem with his teammates and the locker room always get blown out of proportion, especially in NYC when baseball season isn't in session, the Daily News looks for any little thing to turn it into drama.

Marbury is indeed talented, but we need his EXPIRING CONTRACT more than his basketball attributes. Its probably our best trading asset and we should keep until it expires or if we get an amazing offer for a top 10 player on a team looking to rebuild.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

Crawford plays like an idiot on the court and Curry shows no passion in the game.

Waiving Marbury would be a MISTAKE, the problem from the Isiah era was ISIAH himself, not really Marbury. Marbury was just a scapegoat for Isiah, nothing more.

If you consider this; Marbury has a good season, it'll increas his value and his expiring contract which would make it a very good trading asset that could lure us a superstar the same way Boston got Garnett.

Marbury's problem with his teammates and the locker room always get blown out of proportion, especially in NYC when baseball season isn't in session, the Daily News looks for any little thing to turn it into drama.

Marbury is indeed talented, but we need his EXPIRING CONTRACT more than his basketball attributes. Its probably our best trading asset and we should keep until it expires or if we get an amazing offer for a top 10 player on a team looking to rebuild.

thank you someone agrees Marbs wasn't the problem these last couple of years it was ISIAH...he still has alot of game and he could be a valuable piece to our team and he was only underachieving because he was stuck running a horrible system with plays for Fat FU@Ks who are afraid of contact so they take stupid shots and when he tried to run his own plays that would help us win Isiah would say he injured and benches him loll...in all seriousness we HAVE to keep marbs...he'll prove alotta people wrong

Blas

Benchwarmer
If most of the team has a problem with Marbury, then management would have to get rid of him instead of most of the team, right?

umynot

Benchwarmer
Marbury will not be waived!

Our new Don is far from an idiot!

Did he waive Artest when he was suspended a whole year?

Or Stephen Jackson?

Or any trouble maker he has ever dealt with?

No hell NO!! He waits till the right moment to get the most value for any of his players! Always!! Marbury as far as talent is far and away the best player on our team! Hands down! Being from Brooklyn and watching him since Lincoln I actually still have mad Love for him!

It has not worked out well for him so far here with us but there was a time he looked so so good! I know its been awhile but for real since Ewing left Skills wise Marbury is our best asset! And his 22 mil comes off the books! Thats big! Yes here with Isiah Larry Brown and management things look real ugly but he is still an asset!

I see Golden State making a move for him! Unless they get Hinrich who else will replace Davis?

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Marbury will not be waived!

Our new Don is far from an idiot!

Did he waive Artest when he was suspended a whole year?

Or Stephen Jackson?

Or any trouble maker he has ever dealt with?

theres a difference though, artest and stephen jackson are loved by their teammates, i wish we had stephen jackson

KologeroBx

Benchwarmer
I Think They Should Just Let His Contact Run Out But Its Imporant To Get Rid Of This Guy Already

Yes Others Must Go Too But As Of Right Now The Focus Is On Marbury

New New York

Quiet Storm

But Walsh is not making that trade. He said it from day one that trading expiring contracts for longer term deals is what got the Knicks is their cap situation. I can't say that Steph will or will not be bought out, but it is highly unlikely that we trade his contract.

You can't say F his teamates because that really is a factor to consider when making the choice to keep a player or not. It's like T.O. when he was with Philly, for all his talent what he did to the locker room really underminded his on the feild accomplishments.

metrocard

Legend
But Walsh is not making that trade. He said it from day one that trading expiring contracts for longer term deals is what got the Knicks is their cap situation. I can't say that Steph will or will not be bought out, but it is highly unlikely that we trade his contract.

You can't say F his teamates because that really is a factor to consider when making the choice to keep a player or not. It's like T.O. when he was with Philly, for all his talent what he did to the locker room really underminded his on the feild accomplishments.

You would mind if do a Boston-Garnett deal? I say **** 2010, if the deal is on the table we have to do a move like that. Its nothing Isiah has done or attempted because he traded his expiring contract for aging players who aren't all stars. Marbury's contract could be an asset to getting us a top 10 player.

Curry, Crawford and Randolph are worse than Stephon.

These guys are nuts if they trade Steph before the deadline. Our best player, our most attractive trade piece, and the only true player who has a chance on the roster to run the Offense anything like d'antoni wants it ran.

Nuts I tell ya.

Especially when the other players people wanna keep are doo doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.