International Players More Hype than Hope

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
Well you see, he turns to personal attacks because he can't refute your evidence.
Refute what,What evidence is there,And what are you his girl why you running to defend somebody when your not involved you got nothing better to do with your time.And if I wanted to get personal there is a lot of stats I could pull out and sit here all day.You know I did have respect for your posts but now I see your just as idiotic as this clown.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
GTFO.gif

Shar, I used all drafts from 1998 to now and pointed out over a 40 American bust in the lottery. You only pointed out like what? 3 or 4? Most of them are bolded in the late first. Your post has no relevance to my point or this thread. Anyone can bold a mock draft. I don't need to explain myself again if you can't read this post properly.

Um... you listed like 10 players from each draft that you considered busts... it's hard to agree with your point without looking at the entire draft class or first round (like I did)... I picked 2000 (worse draft of American talent)... 2002 (first draft dominated by international prospects)... and 2003 (best american draft since 96)... You see metro... when you're trying to prove a point with longitudinal data... you need to either have the entire sample... or take three representative samples... I picked varying levels of international/american dominance... and my point is this... in every draft... about 25 players are any good... if you break it down into ratios and percentages... you find that about 40% of each group ever pans out... now if you can prove that that was irrelevant or something anyone can do... disprove my point...

Point well taken. By my contention has always been you go back LOOK AT ALL THE DRAFTS, foreign products just don't pan out as much. As far as their being more AMERICAN BUSTS..of course it's no secret thats going to happen since we cast them with a wider net. More fish in the sea, ergo most are not going to churn you out caviar...and you'll get some solid tuna in there..and a whole list of others are not fit for consumption. PERIOD.

It's not my fault if the 60's, 70's, 80's international players...that 99% of them...WERE BUSTS. I think TOO damned much is being made of these more modern imports coming into the NBA. The numbers are against them as far as failure. For me it comes down to total percentage...

Let's say for the sake of argument since 1946..till now...you had 100 international players. Let's say 20% become sure enough superstars. Well that's a failure rate of 80%.

Now let's take American players..since 46...Let's say you had just 1,000 players drafted. And out of this 30 Hall of Famers....and 200 solid role players..that played atleast 6 seasons...thats 23% with a failure rate of 77%.

Sure you can make the case that it took 900 more players to gain 3% more....versus international players..however...to be equal you have to wait till another 900 players from the international community were drafted...and then compare the ultimate rate. 1000 per 1000.

I don't like international players for the most part, most of them either don't want to play in the US, and alot of them are more suspect because the volume of information on them..is not broadcast as it should be, and sometimes it is concealed.

The modern euro's grew up having witnessed the 92 dream team and the globalization of the game... so they were better equiped to handle things across the pond... I get your volume argument... but I think an accurate comparison can only be made through comparing ratios... sabonis was the best player on the planet in his heyday... and was a top 15 center in his late 30s... petrovic lit it up before that... you had schremph and kukoc... marcellonis... there were sprinkings of successful international players before 2002... but THOSE guys were the exception... now they have influenced the dirks, nashs and ginoblis... who have influenced the parkers, bargnianis and gallinaris...

Get your thoughts together and them place them in a concise manner with a valid point.

Are you talking about race in general? Or basketball? Are you confusing nationalism, with racism?

As far as race goes...say what you will but statistics bare out blacks are ahead of other athletes as far as skill, and I'm only measuring this as far as American sports are concerned. It is factual African Americans many of them come from ex-slaves, who were bred to be big..strong..fast, durable. It's why the frequency is higher...now that may not be race specific, so much as it is genetically specific. But it is what it is...alot of it is also environment I'd concede that notion.

More blacks play basketball, run track, play football etc.

Just as you have hispanics dominating baseball. They play more baseball now, whereas blacks do not as they did in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Whites dominate hockey, why because more of them play it..I don't see too many asian or hispanic hockey players.

Now getting specifically back to American basketball, far as I'm concerned it's our sport as Americans, and yes to a degree as blacks (a small one).

I remember back in the 80's KNICKS had an all black roster. And when they would lose people would call them the "NIGGERBOCKERS". Maybe you don't remember that...but I do. Alot of people on here act as if race don't matter, and is completely non- essential to MARKETING anymore. Which shows a complete lack of reality. Marketing is all about not only success, but image. And many of success is predicated from image.

And it's not just sports. Alot of companies have black managers, CEO's, top executives. How many times do they advertise that fact as consistently as they show a white face, or the latin craze which they seem to be going through now...why?

Because since latino's are becoming more major players...they want to advertise more exclusively to that market. PERIOD. More latino's, show a latino face, get MORE latino dollars.

For the moment whites still are the majority. But as more and more races influx the advertising landscape will change, so to does that influence decision making when it comes to pitching product. Sure you can have a winning team full of guys with attitude problems...but you also are in bed with advertisers to pull in more revenue streams from their products in your building..so maybe you don't take a chance on a guy with a ton of off the court problems. Or rather his draft stock plummets. It happens.

So don't come at me with the only talent matters argument, because it's bullshit. And incomplete.

Look at Sheryl Swoopes...had a nice chunk of endorsements...and she's still playing...soon as she came out the closet...no one would touch her. What does her being gay have to do with her selling sneakers, or lady schik? Nothing logically. But it does, why? Image of homosexuality. Society.

You speak the truth... marketing is a powerful tool... and David Stern has made it his (poorly hidden) edict to clean up the league... the owners are MOSTLY white... the season ticket holders are MOSTLY white... the sponsors, advertisers, etc... you get the drift... when Iverson came in... the league demographics skewed toward the urban youth in the post Jordan era... but ratings plummeted... check the facts... after Bulls/Jazz (98)... the NBA saw plummeting ratings every season until this year... in that span... Stern has implemented the age limit... the dress code... authorizing refs to T up players for showing emotions (that thankfully ended after a few months)... all aimed at appeasing the people writing the checks...

Welsch was well on his way to become a first class role player in Boston until he got homesick. It might make him a bust but doesn't say the least about his talent.

Not once did one of the greatest players ever to play the game come up in this discussion: Drazan Petrovic (http://www.drazenpetrovic.com/).

Petro was a true tragedy... I think if he survived... the Nets/Knicks rivalry would have been a lot more exciting in the 90s... and Euros would be better appreciated here...

Listein moron Im not politicly correct and to be honest I dont really give a **** about racism because I have been succesful in life so it dont effect me anyway in my world the only thing that matters is money it dont matter if I make it with a black guy a white guy whatever, Its the little people like you who dont have any and the easy way to explain your shortcommings is the race card.So you keep pulling out your long drawn out stats that have no bearing in life and these things you keep talking about are not gonna get you anything but laughed at.Honestly I just cant stop laughing at the shit you write you really are a CLOWN.So please stop wasting your time with me einstein this is a basketball site.But you still dont answer the question with all your stats why is it that all quarterbacks,pitchers,managers,owners,etc are white so does that make us more intelligent because if your gonna go bye statistics that would make sense right?THATS HOW ****ING IDIOTIC YOU SOUND.You are only giving your race credit for being well bread athletes I know black guys that would smack the shit out of you for what your saying.

you're a moron... knicksfanz was wrong about the international players thing... but you really should really open a textbook before you start typing with astericks and caps...

there are more white owners because many old american families (who have the wealth to own sporting franchises) built their fortunes using free labor or profiting from free labor... therefore... white people have been able to capitalize on the american dream for longer than any other ethnic group... means more of them have funds to buy teams... is your point that white people dominate the ownership landscape because of some genetic superiority? Hitler thought the same thing...

managers are hired by owners... for many years they didn't even interview black managers... but now... just like jackie robinson led to more black players coming into the league... you see there are far more minority managers now than there were when we were growing up (80s/90s)...

quarterbacks are mostly white because it is a "thinking man's position"... so many coaches encourage young black players to accept the more athletic positions so they can the game that way... like with managers... people didn't believe black qbs were smart enough... but look at the last few drafts... jamarcus russel... vince young... that's ignoring cats like McNabb and homie in Jacksonville and Campbell in WAS that are currently doing it up... seriously... you think there are black quarterbacks worse than rex grossman...

pitchers? i'm not big into baseball... but I do know that african americans are largely abandoning the sport... because the youth are trying out for football and basketball moreso than the great american pasttime... so i'm hypothesising that has something to do with it...

and before you get into your "you're broke so you blame everything on race"... know that yes... I am black... yes... I am successful... I enjoy a lot of the benefits of being an american citizen and love this country (but am extremely critical of it)... so know that none of this comes from anger...

don't try to shit on the man for making a valid point about race and racism just because you don't agree with his views about international players...

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I want to thank those who actually read my posts and understood the point I was making about race and sports...and the taking of international players also has an marketing tinge to it...that at times appears to go further beyond the question of talent, whether people like to admit the league is getting whiter for a reason to a degree that has nothing to do with the game itself, but the marketing of it.

Also as well...genetics..the "phenotypic advantage"...I've proved my points.

metrocard

Legend
You need to read my post over again.

The players I listed were bust, feel free to big an arguement to that with facts, if you can't then just agree they were. I'm not considering a damn thing, its a fact accepted by the majority of NBA fans.

You need to look at the lottery, late first round picks are projected to be bench players in the future, where as lottery picks are the most elite players in the draft class. I gather mostly of the elite players from each draft starting from 1998 and proved the ratio of draft bust from America is higher than the ratio of International bust. If you couldn't figure that out then you really need to work on your reading skills.

We were discussing draft lottery, not the entire first round.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
the problem with that scenario and projections is that since the whole bust/success scenario is based on who else was available in the draft at that position means that regardless of where a player is taken... they have the potential to become great... does that mean that someone taken in the late first round can't be a bust? if they never make a roster or play less than the 5 year league average, they are a failed investment...

if you look at just the lottery... outside of 2002... there were less international players taken in the lottery, so your argument is weakened... going back to '98... oh and if we're talking lottery... it's the first 13 picks (now 14) since the lottery is only the teams who missed the playoffs...

i find it ironic that you say lottery... then talk about guys like peja (#16) and nash (#14)... ahhh well kiddo... guess i'm gonna have to set you straight again...

98:
#9 Dirk Nowitzki - superstar bust... taken ahead of paul pierce who actually lead his team in the finals... shutting down kobe and knocking down shots... dirk made a finals too... and blew a 2 - 0 lead... so far your premise is becoming weaker my son...

99:
#12 Aleksandar Radojević - HAHAHHAHAHA

00:
#11 Jermaine Moiso - HAHAHAHAHAHA

01:
#3 Pau Gasol - best player available at the spot... even though joe johnson, parker and arenas were available...

#8 Dasagana Diop - are you serious? this guy was drafted ahead of tony parker and gilbert arenas? HAHAHAHA

#12 Vlad Radmanovic - see above...

02:
#1 Yao Ming - let's see... foot injuries... soft... hasn't gotten out of the first round... Amare was out there... BUT... still the second best big man in the game... so an almost bust...

#5 Skita - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#7 Nene - injuries... and being drafted ahead of caron butler and amare stoudamire spell BUST...

03:
#2 Darko - HAHAHAHAHA

#6 Kaman - Top 10 center

#11 Pietrus - ahead of david west and josh howard... HAHAHAHAHA

using any draft later than 03 would be unethical... since guys have yet to show if they can last...

using your own criteria (lottery) only 3 of the 11 international players were not busts... that's a 28% success rate if you only include the lotto... and you also exclude many of the better international players... your parkers, diaws, barbosas, etc...

if you're panties are tight cuz i called dirk a bust consider this... do you think DAL woulda lost being up 2 - 0 with P double instead of dirk... you see how he didn't let boston die... Yao may end up being a bust depending on what Amare does (yeah he missed one year, now look at him)... so the percentage drops...

greatest sig ever btw... but i see why i couldn't leave the site alone... the forums needs me...

metrocard

Legend
There isn't a problem.
It is what it is.
Lottery picks are lottery picks.
This is the topic of discussion.

A bust is someone who is drafted high and doesn't reach expectations. If you don't know the definition of bust then just go to bed. How could you be a 2nd round and first round bust? Most bust are labeled from the 1-10 range.

ShairanXIII, I brought up Peja for a reason, you have READING PROBLEMS if you don't know why I brought him up.

Your assignment today is to reread my post and taking the knowledge I presented and learn it. Its good notes for you.

Dirk is a superstar bust?
Terrible assessment.

How many MVP players are picked at 9?

Paul Piece didn't lead nothing
Who was Pierce before KG and Allen?
Celtics Championship was a team effort.
Not a Pierce effort.
Dirk took his team deep into the Finals and got screwed by the refs (as most NBA fans would look at it).
Dirk has kept the Mavericks competitive the last decade. Mavericks are always on top of the west or with the elites throughout this decade and Dirk has been their best player all those years.
Dirk > Pierce.

Jermone Moiso is a NCAA player, he never played International Ball in his life.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAH @ you for being ignorant.

Diop played in American High School. Never played international ball.

1998(LOL majority bust)
Michael Olowokandi (One of the most legendary bust in NBA history)
Raef LaFrentz (No explanation needed)
Robert Traylor (Is he in the NBA?)
Jason Williams (never lived up to his talent)
Bonzi Wells (average career)
Micheal Doleac (3rd string player)
Keon Clark (Is he in the NBA?)
Michael Dickerson (Is he in the NBA?)
Bryce Drew (Is he in the NBA?)

1999(Good draft, Ginobili happened to be the best player from this draft and went number 58)
Jonathan Bender (a complete flop)
William Avery (Not even in the league)
Trajan Langdon (Couldn't survive in the NBA)

2000(LMAO wow)
Stromile Swift (3rd string player)
Darius Miles (Total bust)
Demarr Johnson (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Marcus Fizer (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Chris Mihm (3rd string player)
Jamal Crawford (Has never made the playoffs, biggest loser in the NBA(worst wining perctange)
Joel Przybilla (3rd string player)
Keyon Dooling (3rd string player)
Courtney Alexander (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Etan Thomas
Mateen Cleaves (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Jason Collier (Died, but was garbage regardless)

2001(LMAO Gasol happened to be the best player from this draft)
Kwame Brown (a bigger bust than Nikoloz)
Eddy Curry (One of the biggest bust in the NBA history behind Brown)
Shane Battier(Role players aren't drafted at 6, 10 and 4 for his career)
Eddie Griffin (LOL, no comment)
Rodney White(LMAO, he's playing in Puerto Rico now)
Kedrick Brown (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Steven Hunter (One of the biggest stiffs in the NBA)
Kirk Haston (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Jason Collins (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Michael Bradley (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Joseph Forte (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)

2002(Yao, yet another INT'L best player from the draft)
Jay Williams (out of the NBA)
Dajuan Wagner (out of the NBA)
Melvin Ely (Ass)
Chris Wilcox (Not lottery material)
Our very own, Jared Jeffries (you already know how bad he is)
Marcus Haislip (out of the NBA)
Fred Jones (scrub)

I didn't list Dunleavy or Gooden, but they didn't turn out to be anything special for number 3 and 4 picks.

non lottery
Juan Dixon (successful college player, terrible NBA player)
Curtis Borchardt (LOL??? in the NBA??? Answer me Shardy)
Casey Jacobson (LOL??? Do you even know where this guy is playing? I wouldn't bet you know a damn thing about Euroleague)
Ryan Humphrey (Haha, seriously, this list of bust doesn't end)
Kareem Rush (Is he in the NBA right now?)

2003 was one of the greatest drafts in NBA history.
Sweetney though.
T.J. Ford didn't live up to hype, got traded 3 times already.
Hinrich is average.
Jarvis Hayes?
Marcus Banks is a scrub
Collinson is average
Troy Bell and Reece Gaines aren't even in the NBA.

Emeka Okafor(didn't live up to potential for # 2 pick)
Shaun Livingston (A complete bust, injury prone, non athletic 6"7 guard with no jumpshot, very weak and fragile body)
Devin Harris (Wasn't worth the 5th pick, solid starter)
Josh Childress (Back up)
Luke Jackson (Is he even in the NBA???)
Robert Swift (LOL???)
Kris Humphries (LOL???)
Sebestain Telfair(sorry, he's one of my favorites but was another USA lottery bust)

Marvin Williams (Raw, hasn't produced yet)
Martell Webster (Raw)
Charlie V (Still raw, looking to be replaced)
Channing Frye (Traded, career back up)
Ike Diougu (Got traded 3 teams already, 3rd string player)
Sean May (bench player)
Rashad McCants (Bench player)
Antoine Wright (Trash)
Joey Graham (Trash)
Gerald Green (Got waived by like 3 teams already, still summer league player)
Julius Hodge (career 1 ppg scorer)

Adam Morrison (Has been awful)
Tyrus Thomas (Still raw coming into his 3rd year)
Shelden Williams (Already has been traded, projected to be a career back up)
Patrick O'Bryant (Still a summerleague player)
J.J. Redick (Gets no minute, no potential in the NBA)
Hilton Armstrong (Hasn't done shit)
Cedric Simmons (hasn't done shit)
Shawne Williams (hasn't done shit)

ITS A WRAP

I got over 70 BUST since 1998 in mostly the lottery.
You have nothing compared to that.

You named like what?
5-6 players?

You lost.

It already has been stated there are more American players in the draft than Int'l.
Obviously.

But it doesn't contradict the facts I pointed out.

This site was actually better without you, don't gas yourself up. You got noticed off of my name and replying to my post. Most of the people on this site don't even remember you. You're only good for making me look right all the time.

Last edited:

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
Um... you listed like 10 players from each draft that you considered busts... it's hard to agree with your point without looking at the entire draft class or first round (like I did)... I picked 2000 (worse draft of American talent)... 2002 (first draft dominated by international prospects)... and 2003 (best american draft since 96)... You see metro... when you're trying to prove a point with longitudinal data... you need to either have the entire sample... or take three representative samples... I picked varying levels of international/american dominance... and my point is this... in every draft... about 25 players are any good... if you break it down into ratios and percentages... you find that about 40% of each group ever pans out... now if you can prove that that was irrelevant or something anyone can do... disprove my point...

The modern euro's grew up having witnessed the 92 dream team and the globalization of the game... so they were better equiped to handle things across the pond... I get your volume argument... but I think an accurate comparison can only be made through comparing ratios... sabonis was the best player on the planet in his heyday... and was a top 15 center in his late 30s... petrovic lit it up before that... you had schremph and kukoc... marcellonis... there were sprinkings of successful international players before 2002... but THOSE guys were the exception... now they have influenced the dirks, nashs and ginoblis... who have influenced the parkers, bargnianis and gallinaris...

You speak the truth... marketing is a powerful tool... and David Stern has made it his (poorly hidden) edict to clean up the league... the owners are MOSTLY white... the season ticket holders are MOSTLY white... the sponsors, advertisers, etc... you get the drift... when Iverson came in... the league demographics skewed toward the urban youth in the post Jordan era... but ratings plummeted... check the facts... after Bulls/Jazz (98)... the NBA saw plummeting ratings every season until this year... in that span... Stern has implemented the age limit... the dress code... authorizing refs to T up players for showing emotions (that thankfully ended after a few months)... all aimed at appeasing the people writing the checks...

Petro was a true tragedy... I think if he survived... the Nets/Knicks rivalry would have been a lot more exciting in the 90s... and Euros would be better appreciated here...

you're a moron... knicksfanz was wrong about the international players thing... but you really should really open a textbook before you start typing with astericks and caps...

there are more white owners because many old american families (who have the wealth to own sporting franchises) built their fortunes using free labor or profiting from free labor... therefore... white people have been able to capitalize on the american dream for longer than any other ethnic group... means more of them have funds to buy teams... is your point that white people dominate the ownership landscape because of some genetic superiority? Hitler thought the same thing...

managers are hired by owners... for many years they didn't even interview black managers... but now... just like jackie robinson led to more black players coming into the league... you see there are far more minority managers now than there were when we were growing up (80s/90s)...

quarterbacks are mostly white because it is a "thinking man's position"... so many coaches encourage young black players to accept the more athletic positions so they can the game that way... like with managers... people didn't believe black qbs were smart enough... but look at the last few drafts... jamarcus russel... vince young... that's ignoring cats like McNabb and homie in Jacksonville and Campbell in WAS that are currently doing it up... seriously... you think there are black quarterbacks worse than rex grossman...

pitchers? i'm not big into baseball... but I do know that african americans are largely abandoning the sport... because the youth are trying out for football and basketball moreso than the great american pasttime... so i'm hypothesising that has something to do with it...

and before you get into your "you're broke so you blame everything on race"... know that yes... I am black... yes... I am successful... I enjoy a lot of the benefits of being an american citizen and love this country (but am extremely critical of it)... so know that none of this comes from anger...

don't try to shit on the man for making a valid point about race and racism just because you don't agree with his views about international players...
I dont know who is more ignorant now you or your girl,You say marketing is David sterns tool to clean up the league because most of the people who spend money for the league are white,So explain whats wrong with that money is what keeps the league going and if white people are the ones supporting and investing in the product of course thats who you go after that is common buisness practice and its the first thing you study and research to find out where the influx of money for your buisness is coming from and go after it hard and to be honest I am a season ticket holder for 16 years so I guess your right about something,So explain to me your point does that make David Stern a racist or just a very smart buisness man because ever since he has been in charge the league has done nothing except grow and prosper.Then you call me a moron for going after your little girlfriend just so you know and not that I have to explain myself to you because your not in my league I went after that kid because he put down my race for no other reason than just being upset he wasnt born Italian it had nothing to do with International players so do your homework before you open your mouth maybe you have some other interest in him I dont know what your deal is but next time mind your buisness unless you know what your talking about it makes you out to be ignorant and I dont need to open any text books I can just open my bank book to know the difference between the two of us.Now you want to bring up history and say that succesful white families made there money from free labor some did but do you think that blacks were the only ones that suffered from it get over it every race has suffered overcome it and moved on but then you get the clowns who blame all there problems on history its called history because thats what it is in the past there are three things you should learn adapt overcome and prosper thats what makes a man succesful learning from generations prior and not making the same mistakes.Now you say blacks are supperior athletes because of genetics but thats ok I say it and you call me hitler stop contradicting your self dont make statements out of convience but when its thrown back at you all you can do is pull out the race card once again you come off as being ignorant.Now you bring up quarterbacks you bring up 5 black quarterbacks and Rex Groosman what about the hundreds that have dominated the league since its beggining once again out of convience you forgot about them,And than you blame it on the white coaches did you ever play football because every team throughout your life untill college I would say the quarteback is 50% black then when it comes to college and the pros the best man plays it dont matter what color you are because now your in the buisnees end of the sport if you win keep boosters happy you play,Nobody cares about color they care about money.You and your friend fall to see the big picture it is not about color its about being qualified and winning thats all that matters,My point is this racisim only applies to ignorant people weather they are black or white and statistics can be misleading you want me to accept that blacks are supperior athletes because of some stat that you feel is important I dont accept that and you say is fact what if I said that the whole prison population is dominated bye blacks and that is a fact statisticly so what does that mean all blacks are criminals?So as a Black man who seems very proud of his race would you accept that or would you argue that fact,But you call me a moron for defending my race because some little kid opened his mouth about Italians find out who your defending before you get involved in things and find out what the reasons for the arguments are and then if you feel you still want to get involved feel free.

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
I want to thank those who actually read my posts and understood the point I was making about race and sports...and the taking of international players also has an marketing tinge to it...that at times appears to go further beyond the question of talent, whether people like to admit the league is getting whiter for a reason to a degree that has nothing to do with the game itself, but the marketing of it.

Also as well...genetics..the "phenotypic advantage"...I've proved my points.
Your still a clown and anybody that can take you seriously with that picture in your profile is a clown too,I hear there is an opening in a car wash down the block from your trailer go do something with your life,Genetics does that explain why your a moron?

TunerAddict

Starter
I dont know who is more ignorant now you or your girl,You say marketing is David sterns tool to clean up the league because most of the people who spend money for the league are white,So explain whats wrong with that money is what keeps the league going and if white people are the ones supporting and investing in the product of course thats who you go after that is common buisness practice and its the first thing you study and research to find out where the influx of money for your buisness is coming from and go after it hard and to be honest I am a season ticket holder for 16 years so I guess your right about something,So explain to me your point does that make David Stern a racist or just a very smart buisness man because ever since he has been in charge the league has done nothing except grow and prosper.Then you call me a moron for going after your little girlfriend just so you know and not that I have to explain myself to you because your not in my league I went after that kid because he put down my race for no other reason than just being upset he wasnt born Italian it had nothing to do with International players so do your homework before you open your mouth maybe you have some other interest in him I dont know what your deal is but next time mind your buisness unless you know what your talking about it makes you out to be ignorant and I dont need to open any text books I can just open my bank book to know the difference between the two of us.Now you want to bring up history and say that succesful white families made there money from free labor some did but do you think that blacks were the only ones that suffered from it get over it every race has suffered overcome it and moved on but then you get the clowns who blame all there problems on history its called history because thats what it is in the past there are three things you should learn adapt overcome and prosper thats what makes a man succesful learning from generations prior and not making the same mistakes.Now you say blacks are supperior athletes because of genetics but thats ok I say it and you call me hitler stop contradicting your self dont make statements out of convience but when its thrown back at you all you can do is pull out the race card once again you come off as being ignorant.Now you bring up quarterbacks you bring up 5 black quarterbacks and Rex Groosman what about the hundreds that have dominated the league since its beggining once again out of convience you forgot about them,And than you blame it on the white coaches did you ever play football because every team throughout your life untill college I would say the quarteback is 50% black then when it comes to college and the pros the best man plays it dont matter what color you are because now your in the buisnees end of the sport if you win keep boosters happy you play,Nobody cares about color they care about money.You and your friend fall to see the big picture it is not about color its about being qualified and winning thats all that matters,My point is this racisim only applies to ignorant people weather they are black or white and statistics can be misleading you want me to accept that blacks are supperior athletes because of some stat that you feel is important I dont accept that and you say is fact what if I said that the whole prison population is dominated bye blacks and that is a fact statisticly so what does that mean all blacks are criminals?So as a Black man who seems very proud of his race would you accept that or would you argue that fact,But you call me a moron for defending my race because some little kid opened his mouth about Italians find out who your defending before you get involved in things and find out what the reasons for the arguments are and then if you feel you still want to get involved feel free.

But if you're a white spectator, is it ok to see all black players? You feel left out. I.E. thats why David Lee is the most loved Knick. Hes white.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
But if you're a white spectator, is it ok to see all black players? You feel left out. I.E. thats why David Lee is the most loved Knick. Hes white.

dats a very ignorant post, being white isnt the reason knicks fan love em(maybe to a few) but it has to do wit him playing hard every minute of the game

TunerAddict

Starter
dats a very ignorant post, being white isnt the reason knicks fan love em(maybe to a few) but it has to do wit him playing hard every minute of the game

Its not ignorant. That is a big reason he is a fan favorite. As much as we would like to believe that there isn't racism in our society, or even prejudice, but there is. People want to see people like them on the big stage.

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
Just stop while your ahead your just making a complete fool of yourself,Why wouldnt it be ok I have nothing against your race why would I feel left out what are you talking about are you that ignorant that your just reaching for anything now,I am actually just laughing at you now you make no sense we went back and forth over something that you originally had nothing to do with and you have completley made a fool of yourself.And yes its more than ok for me to see all black players I work buy my tickets and support there salaries so if you think for a minute one player minds me and my white friends being there your crazy.Idiot it dont matter to me who is on the team as long as there good I support them and love basketball.See thats the problem with racists they make everything a black and white issue because its the easy way out,and the funny thing about it is that no matter what color a racist is they live misareable meaningless lives blaming there problems on the other races.And as far as David Lee goes he is not a fan favorite because he is white people respect a strong work ethic and Knick fans real Knick fans respect a guy who shows up for work every night and plays his ass off and lately he is one of the few on the team that do that,The same way we loved Oakley and pretty much that whole Knick team of that era it had nothing to do with color if that was the case you would have seen Chris Dudley jerseys everywhere I was there bealive me you didnt.So now that I have lost all respect for your opinions why dont you and your girl that you ran to her defense so fast go start a white hate web site and see how many other rejects you can get involved

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
There isn't a problem.
It is what it is.
Lottery picks are lottery picks.
This is the topic of discussion.

A bust is someone who is drafted high and doesn't reach expectations. If you don't know the definition of bust then just go to bed. How could you be a 2nd round and first round bust? Most bust are labeled from the 1-10 range.

ShairanXIII, I brought up Peja for a reason, you have READING PROBLEMS if you don't know why I brought him up.

Your assignment today is to reread my post and taking the knowledge I presented and learn it. Its good notes for you.

Dirk is a superstar bust?
Terrible assessment.

How many MVP players are picked at 9?

Paul Piece didn't lead nothing
Who was Pierce before KG and Allen?
Celtics Championship was a team effort.
Not a Pierce effort.
Dirk took his team deep into the Finals and got screwed by the refs (as most NBA fans would look at it).
Dirk has kept the Mavericks competitive the last decade. Mavericks are always on top of the west or with the elites throughout this decade and Dirk has been their best player all those years.
Dirk > Pierce.

Jermone Moiso is a NCAA player, he never played International Ball in his life.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAH @ you for being ignorant.

Diop played in American High School. Never played international ball.

1998(LOL majority bust)
Michael Olowokandi (One of the most legendary bust in NBA history)
Raef LaFrentz (No explanation needed)
Robert Traylor (Is he in the NBA?)
Jason Williams (never lived up to his talent)
Bonzi Wells (average career)
Micheal Doleac (3rd string player)
Keon Clark (Is he in the NBA?)
Michael Dickerson (Is he in the NBA?)
Bryce Drew (Is he in the NBA?)

1999(Good draft, Ginobili happened to be the best player from this draft and went number 58)
Jonathan Bender (a complete flop)
William Avery (Not even in the league)
Trajan Langdon (Couldn't survive in the NBA)

2000(LMAO wow)
Stromile Swift (3rd string player)
Darius Miles (Total bust)
Demarr Johnson (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Marcus Fizer (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Chris Mihm (3rd string player)
Jamal Crawford (Has never made the playoffs, biggest loser in the NBA(worst wining perctange)
Joel Przybilla (3rd string player)
Keyon Dooling (3rd string player)
Courtney Alexander (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Etan Thomas
Mateen Cleaves (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Jason Collier (Died, but was garbage regardless)

2001(LMAO Gasol happened to be the best player from this draft)
Kwame Brown (a bigger bust than Nikoloz)
Eddy Curry (One of the biggest bust in the NBA history behind Brown)
Shane Battier(Role players aren't drafted at 6, 10 and 4 for his career)
Eddie Griffin (LOL, no comment)
Rodney White(LMAO, he's playing in Puerto Rico now)
Kedrick Brown (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Steven Hunter (One of the biggest stiffs in the NBA)
Kirk Haston (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Jason Collins (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Michael Bradley (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)
Joseph Forte (In the NBA??? answer me Shardy)

2002(Yao, yet another INT'L best player from the draft)
Jay Williams (out of the NBA)
Dajuan Wagner (out of the NBA)
Melvin Ely (Ass)
Chris Wilcox (Not lottery material)
Our very own, Jared Jeffries (you already know how bad he is)
Marcus Haislip (out of the NBA)
Fred Jones (scrub)

I didn't list Dunleavy or Gooden, but they didn't turn out to be anything special for number 3 and 4 picks.

non lottery
Juan Dixon (successful college player, terrible NBA player)
Curtis Borchardt (LOL??? in the NBA??? Answer me Shardy)
Casey Jacobson (LOL??? Do you even know where this guy is playing? I wouldn't bet you know a damn thing about Euroleague)
Ryan Humphrey (Haha, seriously, this list of bust doesn't end)
Kareem Rush (Is he in the NBA right now?)

2003 was one of the greatest drafts in NBA history.
Sweetney though.
T.J. Ford didn't live up to hype, got traded 3 times already.
Hinrich is average.
Jarvis Hayes?
Marcus Banks is a scrub
Collinson is average
Troy Bell and Reece Gaines aren't even in the NBA.

Emeka Okafor(didn't live up to potential for # 2 pick)
Shaun Livingston (A complete bust, injury prone, non athletic 6"7 guard with no jumpshot, very weak and fragile body)
Devin Harris (Wasn't worth the 5th pick, solid starter)
Josh Childress (Back up)
Luke Jackson (Is he even in the NBA???)
Robert Swift (LOL???)
Kris Humphries (LOL???)
Sebestain Telfair(sorry, he's one of my favorites but was another USA lottery bust)

Marvin Williams (Raw, hasn't produced yet)
Martell Webster (Raw)
Charlie V (Still raw, looking to be replaced)
Channing Frye (Traded, career back up)
Ike Diougu (Got traded 3 teams already, 3rd string player)
Sean May (bench player)
Rashad McCants (Bench player)
Antoine Wright (Trash)
Joey Graham (Trash)
Gerald Green (Got waived by like 3 teams already, still summer league player)
Julius Hodge (career 1 ppg scorer)

Adam Morrison (Has been awful)
Tyrus Thomas (Still raw coming into his 3rd year)
Shelden Williams (Already has been traded, projected to be a career back up)
Patrick O'Bryant (Still a summerleague player)
J.J. Redick (Gets no minute, no potential in the NBA)
Hilton Armstrong (Hasn't done shit)
Cedric Simmons (hasn't done shit)
Shawne Williams (hasn't done shit)

ITS A WRAP

I got over 70 BUST since 1998 in mostly the lottery.
You have nothing compared to that.

You named like what?
5-6 players?

You lost.

It already has been stated there are more American players in the draft than Int'l.
Obviously.

But it doesn't contradict the facts I pointed out.

This site was actually better without you, don't gas yourself up. You got noticed off of my name and replying to my post. Most of the people on this site don't even remember you. You're only good for making me look right all the time.

hahaha... seems like i got under your skirt again... re-read my posts... and you'll see i'm mostly agreeing with you but your stretching your point too thin and contradicting yourself... the point was if you're saying the lottery and now the top 10, your sample group is too small for the comparison to be legit... stop focusing on the lottery and the top 10 to prove your point because international players are rarely drafted that high as my last post proves...

ohh... i was going by country of origin for the international player part... not where they played... guess i should have specified... my bad...

pierce was NBA All-Rookie Team: 1999
2 Time All-NBA Third Team: 2002, 2003
5 Time NBA All-Star: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
NBA Regular Season Points Leader: 2002 (2,144)
NBA Regular Season Free Throws Made Leader: 2003 (604)
Other NBA Player Awards Distinctions:
Holds NBA record for most free throws made without a miss, playoffs: 21 (Game 1, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round)
Member of 2002 USA Basketball World Championship Team Member of 2006 USA Basketball World Championship Team

before garnet and allen... don't try to denigrate a star... dirk had nash and finley... then howard, harris, terry and co... yeah... he led the team... you damn right... he should have... but he crumpled in the finals... stopped taking it to the post... stopped driving... it's like they collectively... but he and josh howard did so especially... paul pierce hit big shots throughout the playoffs and the finals and without his effort offensively and defensely... the celtics wouldn't have won... remember LA almost came back from 20+ back in game two except for his shots... yes... garnet was the soul of the team and his intensity improved everyone else... and ray allen found his shot against la... but when it counted the most... pierce was the most important celtic delivering them out of series while garnet and at times allen struggled... most analysts will agree with that... i'm saying you switch rosters and players... and dallas wins in 06 with pierce instead of dirk... and the mvp is decided by sports writers... so it's usually not a barometer of the best player in the league... this will probably go over your head so i won't bother interacting too much...

i didn't realize i was talking this whole time... i thought when my fingers hit the keys people called it typing...

i never said stern was a racist... of course it's business sense... thanks for agreeing... so let me get this straight... i say... stern is trying to market to white people because ratings were sagging, etc... you say stern did it because he's a smart businessman and call me a moron? hm? i guess the lack of digits in my bank account make it hard for me to understand things i guess... but i would think that if you were running a business... you WOULD research and whatnot... anyway... i don't dispute the talent of white qbs... and i guess i should have pointed out elway, namath, montana, young, mannings, etc... but i'm saying that whether or not the talent was there... a lot of black qbs are moved to other positions in college... look how many rbs, wrs, safeties, etc say they played qb in hs... we'll never know if the black qb of yesteryear or the potential black qb was... but many were not given the opportunity because people really though black qbs were genetically incapable of running teams... that's a fact... simple questions... why was the 07 superbowl so important? dungy and smith were not the first good black coaches... they were the first two given enough of an opportunity to get to that position... the percentage of minority coaches is increasing yearly in the nfl and all pro leagues... but how curious is it that in the nba... founded 25 years later a black coach won in 21 years after its inception... but in the nfl... we waited 86 before an african american could hoist the crown...

you're right about the plight of the irish, italian, asian, shyte anyone that wasn't potestant in the us throughout its history... but i didn't omit anyone to pretend they didn't exist... the fact is... african americans and latinos are groups that are for a variety of reasons prosecuted... but you're right it is up to the individual to chose... but your surroundings... your family structure... the people and role models around you who you emulate growing up tip the scales... some people can't deal with it... i can... but i'm not going to denigrate those who can't... because i see these people... i am these people... we just took different paths...

btw... notice i didn't reference your beef with knicksfanz for what he said about italians... i don't agree with flaming anyone's race online... that's beef between you and him... you were bringing up some other shyte i disagreed with... but if that made you want to fantasize about two dudes on the internet good for you...

clumsy

Rotation player
Dammmn loooking at that list, besides Elton Brand and Corey Magette, did Duke ever produce starting players.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I dont know who is more ignorant now you or your girl,You say marketing is David sterns tool to clean up the league because most of the people who spend money for the league are white,So explain whats wrong with that money is what keeps the league going and if white people are the ones supporting and investing in the product of course thats who you go after that is common buisness practice and its the first thing you study and research to find out where the influx of money for your buisness is coming from and go after it hard and to be honest I am a season ticket holder for 16 years so I guess your right about something,So explain to me your point does that make David Stern a racist or just a very smart buisness man because ever since he has been in charge the league has done nothing except grow and prosper.

Then you call me a moron for going after your little girlfriend just so you know and not that I have to explain myself to you because your not in my league I went after that kid because he put down my race for no other reason than just being upset he wasnt born Italian it had nothing to do with International players so do your homework before you open your mouth maybe you have some other interest in him I dont know what your deal is but next time mind your buisness unless you know what your talking about it makes you out to be ignorant and I dont need to open any text books I can just open my bank book to know the difference between the two of us.

Now you want to bring up history and say that succesful white families made there money from free labor some did but do you think that blacks were the only ones that suffered from it get over it every race has suffered overcome it and moved on but then you get the clowns who blame all there problems on history its called history because thats what it is in the past there are three things you should learn adapt overcome and prosper thats what makes a man succesful learning from generations prior and not making the same mistakes.

Now you say blacks are supperior athletes because of genetics but thats ok I say it and you call me hitler stop contradicting your self dont make statements out of convience but when its thrown back at you all you can do is pull out the race card once again you come off as being ignorant.Now you bring up quarterbacks you bring up 5 black quarterbacks and Rex Groosman what about the hundreds that have dominated the league since its beggining once again out of convience you forgot about them,And than you blame it on the white coaches did you ever play football because every team throughout your life untill college I would say the quarteback is 50% black then when it comes to college and the pros the best man plays it dont matter what color you are because now your in the buisnees end of the sport if you win keep boosters happy you play,Nobody cares about color they care about money.You and your friend fall to see the big picture it is not about color its about being qualified and winning thats all that matters,My point is this racisim only applies to ignorant people weather they are black or white and statistics can be misleading you want me to accept that blacks are supperior athletes because of some stat that you feel is important I dont accept that and you say is fact what if I said that the whole prison population is dominated bye blacks and that is a fact statisticly so what does that mean all blacks are criminals?So as a Black man who seems very proud of his race would you accept that or would you argue that fact,But you call me a moron for defending my race because some little kid opened his mouth about Italians find out who your defending before you get involved in things and find out what the reasons for the arguments are and then if you feel you still want to get involved feel free.

Statistics are not blinding when you actually have statistical anomalies when you throw race into the question like the article even points out there is a "phenotypic advantage" of black athletes at positions that require more athleticism, speed, and power..."GOD given" is another way of saying genetic is it not?That's not racism, that's genetic.

To answer your question about David Stern if it is a question of MARKETING over the issue of TALENT. Then it can become racially based. Let's say for example this is baseball. Got a hot Italian prospect at 3rd base. Best in the US. Number #1 pick talent. Your the Kansas City Royal, and he's from Jersey.

Consider you haven't had a talent like this in the last 30 years. Your ball club is struggling to fill the stadium. You need something big to show the fans "you're turning it around". At he same time your population is largely hispanic, and there are some other good hispanic prospects but not as good as this kid. They'll be solid players, but not hall of fame class..all your scouts agree on this point.

Your the GM...what do you do?

Sure you can take the top talent and let winning be your guide, and build around the kid. However, if the kid busts out and just can't cut it..you're left with a player you can't market or still draw folks to the ballpark for anymore.

Trade down get some latino players who have considerably less talent, but are not slouches. Sure they can bust too, but the community in which you serve can better identify with them and they as player will be more "included, and accepted when you're losing. So if you have those lean non-winning years when your a few pieces away...they'll still come to the ballpark.

Then your decision becomes about business, not talent.

The Brooklyn Dodger's could have had Joshua Gibson, better hitter than Ruth ever was..didn't take him he was too confrontational..they needed a black man that could play and both "keep quiet". Just felt too angry of a black man wouldn't work for what they were trying to do which was win, but at the same time needed someone who would dance to their tune.

Race has alot to do with marketing/business. You always cater to your customers. If Micheal Jordan would've had Allen Iverson's attitude and off the court problems..do you think he ever would've been made the global face of basketball and corporations all those years and still is today?

Ain't no one put down your race. Stop getting so uptight. Made a few jokes, and next thing you go completely apeshit. I'd hate to see you have recognize a real racist, from a person who jokes about it. As well, ain't no one made about not being born Italian. Everyone should be pissed they weren't born wealthy however.

True other races, especially in American history been ****ed over. However, was no jim crow for Italians. Now you had a big deal between Protestants and Catholics for many years in early America. Italians, Irish, Germans, all also don't stand out from a crowd till their mouth is opened and speaks. Let's just be real about that fact. Just not as easy as a target plain and simple. Even genetic.

How come the same Italians that had racial pressure on them from the Irish and German communities didn't support the civil rights movement of blacks?

How come the same one's that got discriminated against for their religious practices, didn't say anything about making one's about color differences?

At the end of the day despite all the superficial bonds of faith, and brotherhood even. People who look like eachother or favor..tend to stick more together. Sure individuals can collaborate..but the for the masses..always strength in those who like more like you.

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
hahaha... seems like i got under your skirt again... re-read my posts... and you'll see i'm mostly agreeing with you but your stretching your point too thin and contradicting yourself... the point was if you're saying the lottery and now the top 10, your sample group is too small for the comparison to be legit... stop focusing on the lottery and the top 10 to prove your point because international players are rarely drafted that high as my last post proves...

ohh... i was going by country of origin for the international player part... not where they played... guess i should have specified... my bad...

pierce was NBA All-Rookie Team: 1999
2 Time All-NBA Third Team: 2002, 2003
5 Time NBA All-Star: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
NBA Regular Season Points Leader: 2002 (2,144)
NBA Regular Season Free Throws Made Leader: 2003 (604)
Other NBA Player Awards Distinctions:
Holds NBA record for most free throws made without a miss, playoffs: 21 (Game 1, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round)
Member of 2002 USA Basketball World Championship Team Member of 2006 USA Basketball World Championship Team

before garnet and allen... don't try to denigrate a star... dirk had nash and finley... then howard, harris, terry and co... yeah... he led the team... you damn right... he should have... but he crumpled in the finals... stopped taking it to the post... stopped driving... it's like they collectively... but he and josh howard did so especially... paul pierce hit big shots throughout the playoffs and the finals and without his effort offensively and defensely... the celtics wouldn't have won... remember LA almost came back from 20+ back in game two except for his shots... yes... garnet was the soul of the team and his intensity improved everyone else... and ray allen found his shot against la... but when it counted the most... pierce was the most important celtic delivering them out of series while garnet and at times allen struggled... most analysts will agree with that... i'm saying you switch rosters and players... and dallas wins in 06 with pierce instead of dirk... and the mvp is decided by sports writers... so it's usually not a barometer of the best player in the league... this will probably go over your head so i won't bother interacting too much...

i didn't realize i was talking this whole time... i thought when my fingers hit the keys people called it typing...

i never said stern was a racist... of course it's business sense... thanks for agreeing... so let me get this straight... i say... stern is trying to market to white people because ratings were sagging, etc... you say stern did it because he's a smart businessman and call me a moron? hm? i guess the lack of digits in my bank account make it hard for me to understand things i guess... but i would think that if you were running a business... you WOULD research and whatnot... anyway... i don't dispute the talent of white qbs... and i guess i should have pointed out elway, namath, montana, young, mannings, etc... but i'm saying that whether or not the talent was there... a lot of black qbs are moved to other positions in college... look how many rbs, wrs, safeties, etc say they played qb in hs... we'll never know if the black qb of yesteryear or the potential black qb was... but many were not given the opportunity because people really though black qbs were genetically incapable of running teams... that's a fact... simple questions... why was the 07 superbowl so important? dungy and smith were not the first good black coaches... they were the first two given enough of an opportunity to get to that position... the percentage of minority coaches is increasing yearly in the nfl and all pro leagues... but how curious is it that in the nba... founded 25 years later a black coach won in 21 years after its inception... but in the nfl... we waited 86 before an african american could hoist the crown...

you're right about the plight of the irish, italian, asian, shyte anyone that wasn't potestant in the us throughout its history... but i didn't omit anyone to pretend they didn't exist... the fact is... african americans and latinos are groups that are for a variety of reasons prosecuted... but you're right it is up to the individual to chose... but your surroundings... your family structure... the people and role models around you who you emulate growing up tip the scales... some people can't deal with it... i can... but i'm not going to denigrate those who can't... because i see these people... i am these people... we just took different paths...

btw... notice i didn't reference your beef with knicksfanz for what he said about italians... i don't agree with flaming anyone's race online... that's beef between you and him... you were bringing up some other shyte i disagreed with... but if that made you want to fantasize about two dudes on the internet good for you...
Now that was a well thought out comeback,The part about the not talking in the beggining not funny but I give you credit for trying,Now to the part about you questioning my buisness sense we can go off the site and put my bank account against yours winner take all,Do yourself a favor dont get into waters you cant swim in.Now to the very informative educated part of your argument I dont disagree at all but I am not gonna sit here and listein to nonsense about genetics making blacks better athletes.Dominating athletes are what they are because of hard work no matter what race they are you can give me RBs and basketball players and I can give you QBs and Hockey players we can go back and forth all day you are what you want to be in life,Then you say you are not gonna denigrate racist behavior is that just on the black end of it or you dont mind white racists too,Im not saying it dont exist that would be stupid Im just saying I dont need it in my life its a cowards way of blaming problems on others when deep inside they know they are complete failures,I dont have the time or the patience to deal with all that my life is to good.And in closing dont come at me about fantasies with you and your little out of work adolescent friend lets be real dont try to reverse things you ran to his defense like I disrespected your girl or something I dont know what your interest is in him thats your closet to come out of I wont judge you maybe you like his picture in his profile whatever it is dont include me,But I wish you two the best