Gallinari's chance to stand out in summer league; Wally to NY?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0711,0,1747928.story

Gallinari has chance to standout in summer league
<DL class=byline>BY ALAN HAHN | [email protected] <DD>9:49 PM EDT, July 10, 2008 </DD></DL>This won't be a real NBA debut, but for Danilo Gallinari, the coming week at the NBA Summer League is a chance to make an important first impression.

The Knicks' first-round pick, taken sixth overall, was roundly booed by the New York crowd on draft night. Fans will get their first look at the 19-year-old Italian star when the Knicks' summer league team begins play Monday against the Cleveland Cavaliers at Cox Pavilion on the UNLV campus. The game, which tips off at 4 p.m. EDT, will be aired live on MSG Network.

The team will begin practicing in Las Vegas Friday night and will be run by assistant coach Phil Weber, the former Long Island Lutheran standout who followed Mike D'Antoni here from the Phoenix Suns. D'Antoni will be on hand and Donnie Walsh will arrive Sunday.

Walsh says he doesn't put a lot of emphasis on performances at the summer league, but instead is more interested in mingling with the executives from the 20 other NBA teams that participate in it. After signing guard Chris Duhon, Walsh said earlier this week that he is not finished retooling the roster He will remain involved in trade talks throughout the summer with an eye on jettisoning some of the bigger contracts (read: Stephon Marbury and Zach Ran.dolph) while also filling holes in the roster.

<!-- google ads --><!-- END google ads --><!-- END rail -->It's worth mentioning that before guard Baron Davis finally agreed to a five-year, $65-million contract with the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday, his representatives checked out the Knicks' interest in him, a source told Newsday. In May, Newsday reported that Davis, before he decided to opt out of his contract with the Golden State Warriors, reached out through intermediaries to see if the Knicks had any interest in acquiring him in a trade.

"It clearly seemed that New York would have been Baron's first choice if there were a fit," said a person with knowledge of Davis' situation.

Walsh never got too deeply involved in pursuing Davis because the Knicks, with an eye on being under the salary cap by 2010, would not commit contractually to anything beyond 2010 in a sign-and-trade scenario.

There are other situations still brewing. The most notable involves another Warriors guard, Monta Ellis, who is a restricted free agent and, according to multiple sources, has a desire to play in D'Antoni's system. A person with knowledge of the situation said a sign-and-trade is a long shot, however, because a third team would have to be involved to make the deal work for both sides. The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers are in hot pursuit, just in case Warriors executive Chris Mullin decides to trade Ellis.

Walsh plans on staying involved in all of the talk but likely will put more emphasis on making smaller moves to improve specific areas of the team, such as perimeter shooting. Long Islander Wally Szczerbiak is being shopped by the Cleveland Cavaliers ( the Nets reportedly declined a trade that would have sent the rapidly declining Vince Carter and his hefty contract the other way), and he fits in so many ways. Szczerbiak is an excellent shooter and, perhaps just as important, he has an expiring contract.

I like the idea of making a trade for Wally Szczerbiak. The new york knicks need more perimeter shooting. Wally is still a better shooting guard then Jamal Crawford.

metrocard

Legend
That would be a great deal for the Knicks, I already proposed this idea in the BLOW IT THE **** UP THREAD...Walsh needs to read more of my post.

jpz17

Starter
hah yeah I'm sure his securatary seperates the important and not important one just for him to read

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
planning for 2010 is just an excuse for us to suck this year cuz its obvious wit the way they handlin the team, defense doesnt seem to be a priority

Paul1355

All Star
Wally has a huge contract...not happening

Unless Wally's contract expires next year or before 2010 this deal will never happen. Wally is being shopped because he did nothing in the playoffs to help Lebron and his salary is 12.2 mil a year! forget wally he has a terrific shot but his cost is too high...as i said only if his contract expries next year or before 2010.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
planning for 2010 is just an excuse for us to suck this year cuz its obvious wit the way they handlin the team, defense doesnt seem to be a priority
You're right. I think it's an excuse to buy Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni some time, when the Knicks miss the playoffs for the 5th straight season and finish with a sub .500 record for the 8th straight season in 2008-2009. The Knicks might've made the playoffs, had they drafted a center or point guard, and had they signed a better free agent than Duhon, but with this current lineup, I don't see the team improving next year. If Marbury can somehow avoid being bought out, maybe the Knicks might squeeze in a sub .500 playoff spot like they did in 04, but I doubt Marbury's gonna be here this year, and I doubt he'll be able to get the Knicks to the playoffs with Curry, Richardson, Jeffries, Collins, and James, even if he stays.

moneyg

Starter
I like the idea of making a trade for Wally Szczerbiak. The new york knicks need more perimeter shooting. Wally is still a better shooting guard then Jamal Crawford.
r u crazy.. no way did anybody c wally in the playoffs... he lok like he was running in sand. he has lost so much speed and he cant defend. now he gives a lot of effort but when i seen him.... i was like ..."my man just retire"

not sayin i wouldnt do a trade for him with one of our big contracts... but no way am im givin up crawford... if we want crawford off the books... let hime put up some big number in d'antoni system and he will simply opt out of his contract for a longer deal

lets stop acting like the 2010 season is next week.. two years away

Toons

is the Bo$$

ok, im gonna do this without callin u an idiot, which is rther hard for me to do.
first off wally makes way more than crawrod.
secondly, wally plays ZERO defense
thirdly, wally is softer than crawford
fourthly, wally's fg% is a tenth above crawfords 3pt%
crawford dominates wally in every stat, and is paid less money
i kno there is sum crawford hate here, but crawford for wally is an isiah thomas lover kinda trade

metrocard

Legend
I rather have Wally.
Good vet, role player
superior shooter
Expiring contract so we dont have to see him for another year.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I rather have Wally.
Good vet, role player
superior shooter

co-sign

lmao @ crawstans defendin their hero :lol:

wally showed heart in the playoffs...he was diving for lose balls and played average defense. Crawford has yet to play average defense for an entire game. Just like the way hes never made the playoffs.

Crawford is a 15-20 minutes off the bench type of player.....wally is capable of playin more minutes, hes sadly a better defender, and as metro pointed out hes got an expiring contract.

Toons

is the Bo$$
how is he a superior shooter if his fg shooting is in the mid 30's???
lets not be stupid now
crawford shoots better than wally....
idiots....

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Jamal Crawford

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 20.6
RPG 2.6
APG 5.0
SPG 1.0
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.410
FT% 0.864
3P% 0.356
MPG 39.9

Wally Szczerbiak

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 11.5
RPG 2.9
APG 1.4
SPG 0.3
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.431
FT% 0.851
3P% 0.413
MPG 23.2

Looks like wally is the better shooter

Fg%...Wally 43.1%>>>>Crawford 41%

3PT%...Wally 41.3%>>>>Crawford 35.6%

At the end of the day..

Crawford has got to go. If we can get a solid player in place of him, and some cap relief, I think I'd be down for that. I ain't saying for Wally necessarily though.

He just has to go. I can't bare to watch him shake and bake and shoot fade away 90 footers. Goodness forbid he makes one or two that day as well.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I rather have Wally.
Good vet, role player
superior shooter

The season hasn't even started and some fans already want Walsh's head. When you rebuild a team you trade assets for expiring contracts. There isn't a coach or GM on the face of this earth that can turn this team around in a year. A Wally trade has been suggested several times on several different posts. The only issue I can see is that trading Crawford will deplete our squad of scorers. But at the same time I believe the back court needs to be broken up.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Jamal Crawford

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 20.6
RPG 2.6
APG 5.0
SPG 1.0
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.410
FT% 0.864
3P% 0.356
MPG 39.9

Wally Szczerbiak

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 11.5
RPG 2.9
APG 1.4
SPG 0.3
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.431
FT% 0.851
3P% 0.413
MPG 23.2

Looks like wally is the better shooter

Fg%...Wally 43.1%>>>>Crawford 41%

3PT%...Wally 41.3%>>>>Crawford 35.6%

ur right, those numbers are correct, i was looking at his numbers as in Cleveland. i still disagree tho, crawford takes almost every buzzer beater for the knicks, crawford shots every half court and 3 quarter court shot when there is 1 second left on the court in a losing game, he is the go to guy...wally gets all open shots on Cleveland, shots set up by lebron, and he still clanks em...

metrocard

Legend
Career wise
48% FG
40% 3pt
86% FT
15 ppg

vs

40% FG
34% 3pt
83% FT
14.5 ppg

Judging from this, who would you consider the better shooter?

Paul1355

All Star
co-sign

lmao @ crawstans defendin their hero :lol:

wally showed heart in the playoffs...he was diving for lose balls and played average defense. Crawford has yet to play average defense for an entire game. Just like the way hes never made the playoffs.

Crawford is a 15-20 minutes off the bench type of player.....wally is capable of playin more minutes, hes sadly a better defender, and as metro pointed out hes got an expiring contract.

if it does expire then its perfect but he was garbage in the playoffs Lebron was a one man show no one helped him

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Career wise
48% FG
40% 3pt
86% FT
15 ppg

vs

40% FG
34% 3pt
83% FT
14.5 ppg

Judging from this, who would you consider the better shooter?

szerbiack's defense is way worst then crawford's, crawford can actually create for his shot, wally plays flat footed/very heavy....dude is useless unless he's wide open, dont u criticize crawford for being 1 dimensional?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Gold Mac 10>>>Not datruth

szerbiack's defense is way worst then crawford's, crawford can actually create for his shot, wally plays flat footed/very heavy....dude is useless unless he's wide open, dont u criticize crawford for being 1 dimensional?

disagree.jpg