Knicks vs Spurs Game Thread 7/16

Trin_Starr

Starter
The knicks have a limp cock and have decided to shut him down for the rest of the summer league for precautionary measures.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/07/italian_stallio.html

LAS VEGAS - The KnicksNew York Knicks just can't catch a break. Rookie Danilo Gallinari is probably being shut down for the rest of the summer league because of his sore lower back. He's listed as doubtful the rest of the way.

He had an MRI this morning that didn't reveal anything serious but the Knicks don't want him playing with pain. Plus, they feel he'll get plenty of basketball in during his Italian National Team stint that begins next week and cuts across a significant part of the summer. The Italian national team is trying to qualify for the next Olympics.

It's eyebrow-raising a 19-year-old has a sore back after just one summer-league game of pounding, but to be fair, it was a cumulative injury from two weeks of training following the draft.

"I'm not concerned,'' Walsh said.

Walsh acknowledged there are few guys as big as Tractor Traylor in the league. The 300-pound comebacking center knocked Gallinari around pretty good in Monday's debut.

"I'd liked him to have had (more summer-league experience) but I don't think it will be a factor down the road,'' Walsh said.

As far as the Post's report they have agreed to terms on a guaranteed contract with combo guard Anthony Roberson, Walsh said emphatically the decision on whether to eat Stephon Marbury's $21 million contract has not been made. But Roberson looks to be a keeper for this season - not just a training-camp invitee to Saratoga, sources said. They'll have to cut one guaranteed contract unless a 2-for-1 deal is made and it probably won't be Roberson.