Camby to LAC, Walsh had his chance to dump Z-Bo

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
Ok i'll start this thread off by saying im pissed. For a couple of reasons actually, The nuggets "gave" camby to the clips for the second rounder that we could have had for zach. It meant a lot more to the knicks to dump zach, then it did for denver to dump camby. Whose gonna take Zach now? no one. Walsh has impressed me so far with drafting Gallo (even though i thought it was a bad pickup at first), signing Duhon, and now getting Roberson. I cant complain- the guy has done his job, but he missed out on a golden opportunity to dump zach and his hefty contract and he passed it up. Yeah the second rounder we would have got probably would have been some sucky ass player but, by making the knicks younger-(drafting gallo, getting duhon and roberson) Zach and Curry i dont think fit in with dantoni's run and gun offense. We have a young team- besides marbs, rose, james, etc... Chandler, Lee, Balkman are all guys who will flourish in this new system and having Z-BO and Curry up front doest make a lot of sense anymore, but for now we are stuck with them and as far as marbury goes- he might be bought out, especially with acquiring duhon and roberson.

Post all your thoughts and comments here!

Paul1355

All Star
it's a smart move

I said before on this topic that being pissed is usual because i was at first but u have to look at it more closely. Donnie Walsh is trying to bring up Zach's trade value and he will do that by havin him play during the season and flourishing in D'Antoni's offense which Zach should do just as good in. This will bring Zach's trade value way up and we will get more offers than a 2nd round pick...idc what salary the Clips tried stealing him from us and thinkin that Walsh was Isiah it's not gonna happen. Teams do want Zach and we need a good offer in return and Walsh will do that over time. It's a smart move...he'll play good this year, it will bring up his trade value, and in the end Walsh will look good.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm not sure Zach's trade value will increase under D'Antoni's system. It may decrease. He doesn't run the floor well and he doesn't pass the ball at all. These are two important traits in the run-n-gun style. D'Antoni might get frustrated with him and bench him a lot, which will bring out Zach's poor attitude. There is no guarantee that any players value will increase under D'Antoni's system, especially Zach and Curry.

We should have taken the deal when we had the chance. I'm with you D-Lee42fan. Not to mention, Denver also got a $10 mil trade exception. We could have used that money as well. We also could have traded for Camby. He would have fit into this team and D'Antoni's style perfectly.

I'm not sure Zach's trade value will increase under D'Antoni's system. It may decrease. He doesn't run the floor well and he doesn't pass the ball at all. These are two important traits in the run-n-gun style. D'Antoni might get frustrated with him and bench him a lot, which will bring out Zach's poor attitude. There is no guarantee that any players value will increase under D'Antoni's system, especially Zach and Curry.

We should have taken the deal when we had the chance. I'm with you D-Lee42fan. Not to mention, Denver also got a $10 mil trade exception. We could have used that money as well. We also could have traded for Camby. He would have fit into this team and D'Antoni's style perfectly.

No offense, but have you ever watched the Suns play? Both Marion and Amare are terrible passers. Also, Randolph can run better than people give him credit. If Knicks though Randolph didn't fit in this system they would of took the 2nd round pick. If D'antoni and Walsh think Randolph will fit, then I believe them. Randolph averaged 23 points and 10 rebounds two years ago in the Western Conference. 25 Points and 12 Rebounds are possible in much faster paced game. I'm confident the Knicks will be able to trade Randolph.

Paul1355

All Star

son Zach is slow but he isnt a snail...if anyone can play the way he did under Isiah he could def do better with a coach like Mike D...his value should go up. No 20/10 player should be traded for a 2nd round pick if u accepted that then you have no say in any trade possibilites, thats just retarded. Maybe a 2nd round and another decent player, that'll work, but straight up for a 2nd rounder is not productive on the Knicks part what so ever. Your throwin away a starting PF. You have to make it seem like he's worth more and thats what Donnie is doin by turnin down the Clips deal...makin him worth more.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The bottom line is that Walsh f*cked up...plain and simple.
Do you know how valuable a $14mil trade exemption is????

We could have done the trade, gotten the 2nd rounder, gotten rid of Zach's horrible contract and then we could have dealt with denver using part of the exemption to get camby over here plus have $6mil left to trade with someone else...

nyk_nyk

All Star
I know Walsh is trying to clear up cap space, but they can't just be giving players away for basically nothing. Zach's 20 and 10 no matter how you look at it is worth more than a 2nd rounder and a trade exception in the interim. The way I see it, Zach is insurance if Curry shows up to camp once again looking like burger boy and doesn't play well. If its one thing I learned about Z-bo last year was that he will get his numbers throughout the course of the game. He's selfish but at least you know what your going to get from him.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
son Zach is slow but he isnt a snail...if anyone can play the way he did under Isiah he could def do better with a coach like Mike D...his value should go up. No 20/10 player should be traded for a 2nd round pick if u accepted that then you have no say in any trade possibilites, thats just retarded. Maybe a 2nd round and another decent player, that'll work, but straight up for a 2nd rounder is not productive on the Knicks part what so ever. Your throwin away a starting PF. You have to make it seem like he's worth more and thats what Donnie is doin by turnin down the Clips deal...makin him worth more.

Son...I'm trying to bring you all back to reality. Everyone seems to think D'Antoni's system will increase the value of all our players. There is no guarantee that will happen.

It wasn't just a 2nd round pick. It was also a $10mil trade exception, which is very valuable. Don't you guys remember? Portland gave us Zach for less. They essentially got Channing Frye but had to pay $30mil to buy out Steve Francis. His numbers were also better in Portland than they are now. What's going to happen to Zach's value when he throws another temper tantrum? Or gets in another shooting incident at a strip club?

GM's know this stuff. They don't just look at 20 and 10. The Clippers deal was a way for us to dump his salary for nothing. Other GMs will try and unload their bad contracts with offers for Zach. We could have been free and clear of Zach and our cap situation would be looking very good right now if we had taken the deal.

Last edited:

nyk24

Rookie
No offense, but have you ever watched the Suns play? Both Marion and Amare are terrible passers. Also, Randolph can run better than people give him credit. If Knicks though Randolph didn't fit in this system they would of took the 2nd round pick. If D'antoni and Walsh think Randolph will fit, then I believe them. Randolph averaged 23 points and 10 rebounds two years ago in the Western Conference. 25 Points and 12 Rebounds are possible in much faster paced game. I'm confident the Knicks will be able to trade Randolph.

I gotta agree with BringLebron... Amare and Shawn Marion aren't the greatest passers in the world, but they can score. Randolph's value will increase because he wont have to pass. All he has to do is be himself. Score and rebound. By the trade deadline, he might be among the top 10 in scoring, then we can get maximum value for him. I forgot who asked this but someone wanted to know if we should still trade ZBo if we increase his value. I say hell yeah. Thats the whole point, isn't it?

GetRealistic

Starter
We should've traded him when we could've. But he's value may improve, basically because his stats will be inflated by the system. If we run this system our team ppg will increase thus letting Randolphs numbers increase, he may not be a better player then be before but if GM's are looking at straight stats they may bite.

Kiyaman

Legend
By Walsh not taking this deal for Zach proves that he is an "Idiot" and D'Antoni is a "Super-Idiot" for not convincing Walsh to make the deal.

I will laugh myself silly when Zach gets all up in coach D'Antoni face for taking him out of the game or reducing his playingtime.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Cosign.
You don't trade a starting double double PF for a 2nd round pick. Ever!
Denver has a loosing mentality and pretty soon the coach and GM will be on the unemployment line. We don't know what D'Antoni's style looks like with the Knicks line up. It wont be identical to the Suns. Randolph may fit in. He's far from a good defender but nether is Tracy McGrady. I never understood why the flaws of certain players are exaggerated but other mediocre players are Jesus Christ to Knicks fans.

Paul1355

All Star
So if Zach Excel's under the system and is just a beast, do we still trade him??

definetly we can lose his contract and get something good in return..can u ask for anything more out of Donnie Walsh? Better than rushing it and getting a 2nd round pick...famous quote "Patience is Virtue"