Marbury
Malik Rose
David Lee

Utah sends:
Carlos Boozer
Andrei Kirilenko

This is a win - win for both teams.
Why for Utah?
Utah wants to unload Andrei Kirilenko's contract, he is still owed 56 million the over the next 2 years. With Harpring and Korver, Utah is is covered at the 3 spot. Also, Utah has been accepting calls on Boozer, they deny it publicly but it has been reported by many different news sources. He is still owed 43 Million between this and next year and they would like to dump his salary as well.
Marbury and Rose's contracts will give Utah 106 Million dollars back after the season! They loose Boozer's toughness in the paint but as far as his rebounding, they get Lee who is just as good a rebounder and can score in the paint as well. He will probably become a legit double double in this league, so that is a wash. Utah gains Lee's running and mobility but they loose out on the grit that Boozer has; but Lee will come at a fraction of the price. They could resign Lee to a decent contract extension and still have 80+ mil left to sign some players and still stay under the cap.

Why for NY?
With Curry and/or Randolph on the roster, they lack any toughness in the paint; Boozer would bring that to the team. He could be paired up with either player and add the contrast that is needed. He would bang the boards and bleed off the double teaming that Curry and Randolph gets (especially Curry). Andrei Kirilenko gives NY a proven perimeter defender that they desperately need! Andrei Kirilenko's value has dropped over the past 2 seasons, mostly on the offensive side, but his D is still top notch and again, the Knicks have outside scorers.
Your starting line up would potentially be:
Curry
Boozer
Andrei Kirilenko
Crwaford or Chandler
Duhon

The Knicks could still try to move Randolph and having Boozer on the team, would allow the Knicks to basically move him for cap relief instead of trying to get something back in return. So this would give Walsh some freedom.
I don't see a down side to this trade for either team. Yes, NY does extend their cap hit a few more years but at least these are players that will produce and address needs. This would not be an Isiah move to make a move, this trade would make sense (in my opinion).

metrocard

Legend
35ml1t5.gif

Paul1355

All Star
I have a trade scenario that I believe would work for both parties involved:
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4737301
NY sends:
Marbury
Malik Rose
David Lee

Utah sends:
Carlos Boozer
Andrei Kirilenko

This is a win - win for both teams.
Why for Utah?
Utah wants to unload Andrei Kirilenko's contract, he is still owed 56 million the over the next 2 years. With Harpring and Korver, Utah is is covered at the 3 spot. Also, Utah has been accepting calls on Boozer, they deny it publicly but it has been reported by many different news sources. He is still owed 43 Million between this and next year and they would like to dump his salary as well.
Marbury and Rose's contracts will give Utah 106 Million dollars back after the season! They loose Boozer's toughness in the paint but as far as his rebounding, they get Lee who is just as good a rebounder and can score in the paint as well. He will probably become a legit double double in this league, so that is a wash. Utah gains Lee's running and mobility but they loose out on the grit that Boozer has; but Lee will come at a fraction of the price. They could resign Lee to a decent contract extension and still have 80+ mil left to sign some players and still stay under the cap.

Why for NY?
With Curry and/or Randolph on the roster, they lack any toughness in the paint; Boozer would bring that to the team. He could be paired up with either player and add the contrast that is needed. He would bang the boards and bleed off the double teaming that Curry and Randolph gets (especially Curry). Andrei Kirilenko gives NY a proven perimeter defender that they desperately need! Andrei Kirilenko's value has dropped over the past 2 seasons, mostly on the offensive side, but his D is still top notch and again, the Knicks have outside scorers.
Your starting line up would potentially be:
Curry
Boozer
Andrei Kirilenko
Crwaford or Chandler
Duhon

The Knicks could still try to move Randolph and having Boozer on the team, would allow the Knicks to basically move him for cap relief instead of trying to get something back in return. So this would give Walsh some freedom.
I don't see a down side to this trade for either team. Yes, NY does extend their cap hit a few more years but at least these are players that will produce and address needs. This would not be an Isiah move to make a move, this trade would make sense (in my opinion).

Interesting you did cover many points and i also do feel that Kirelenko and Boozer would do great on this Knicks team. Boozer with his post ability and Kirelenko with his defense which would be a huge plus on this Knicks team. The problem is though that Donnie Walsh has a set plan and even though it seem good to you and not bad for me, to Walsh this wont go down. Think about it on our end too, all of these players that you wana trade to Utah are gonna have contracts expiriing so why trade them when we can get the money back? Kirelenko's contract expires in 2 years good but Boozer would be the problem he would want big bucks and that would ruin the 2010 possibility if im wrong on the numbers tell me but so far i think this trade wouldnt be that bad but for us it would still hurt us alot becuase we could use that money to help us financially with all the debt were in.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Utah Jazz already have Deron Williams. They don't need Stephon Marbury. The Knicks need Stephon Marbury. F*(k all trades involving Marbury. He's the best player on this team, and he has an expiring contract.
The Knicks should be worrying about getting rid of Eddy Curry and Quentin Richardson(last year's least productive starters on the Knick roster) and they should also worry about packaging those scrubs with Jeffries or Balkman, so that we could get rid of some of these extra small forwards on our team. The Knicks should also try to get rid of Mardy Collins. He's helpless. He shot 32% last year, and he shot 36% in the Summer League. If the Knicks do that, they'll be on their way to success.

PS- Good post, Akamu! *thumbs up*

portega1968

El Cacique
sorry, but IMO, Utah wouldn't make this trade... they'd lose half their season ticket holders.

1. they have Deron and could not justify bringing in Stephon, even if it is for cap reasons. It's not a knock on Steph. It's just that if you have a top point guard on your team like the Bulls, Spurs, Suns, etc. have, why would you bring in another top point guard to pay him millions and play behind the main guy?

2. Boozer and Kirilenko are rated way above Lee. Not a knock on Lee either. I love David Lee's game, but you're talking about an Olympian in Boozer and Kirilenko, one of the most versatile players in the NBA (shoots threes, blocks, steals, rebounds, runs, etc.).

If it's true that Utah is willing to trade these guys away, I would explore separate trade scenarios for each and that way improve my chances of landing at least one of them because bringing in two high profile players for long term contracts all of a sudden is just too risky and could have an undesired negative effect on our rebuilding plans.

I think it would be easier to go after Kirilenkobut Utah would certainly want David Lee coming to them if they're doing business with the Knicks and having Boozer on the team just works against them trading for Lee. Anyways it would require a third team, a sign or trade of Lee or some hard bargaining to convince them to take Malik, Jerome James, etc.

Anyways, it still doesnt make sense, so I'd rather look elsewhere...

dre48ny

Rotation player
I don't c how Utah will benefit from this move. If they want expiring contracts, then just let those 2 players contracts expire. The only good piece they would get is DLee and they would have to offer him a contract extension. They can use that money on Boozer.

Knicks need to let our current expiring contracts expire for once!!!!!!!!!!

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Interesting you did cover many points and i also do feel that Kirelenko and Boozer would do great on this Knicks team. Boozer with his post ability and Kirelenko with his defense which would be a huge plus on this Knicks team. The problem is though that Donnie Walsh has a set plan and even though it seem good to you and not bad for me, to Walsh this wont go down. Think about it on our end too, all of these players that you wana trade to Utah are gonna have contracts expiriing so why trade them when we can get the money back? Kirelenko's contract expires in 2 years good but Boozer would be the problem he would want big bucks and that would ruin the 2010 possibility if im wrong on the numbers tell me but so far i think this trade wouldnt be that bad but for us it would still hurt us alot becuase we could use that money to help us financially with all the debt were in.

I am not comfortable with banking the future of the Knicks on the slim chance that they might be able to sign Labron James. First of all I don't think he will leave Cleveland. Second, if he did I think he would go to the Nets because of his friendship with Jay Z. So I feel the Knicks need to do what ever it takes to put a product on the court that can win; period.

As far as Utah not needing Marbury, I totally agree! They don't want or need Marbury the player but that wasn;t the reason for the trade; it was getting the contract not the player. Utah has been trying to dump AH47's contract for 2 years and they are seriously considering dumping Boozers as well.

Metro.... Don't get your reaction!!!! Over the years we have been synonymous with our opinions on the lack of D the Knicks have and their 1 dimensional game. I totally thought that you would buy into this!!

Utah might want an additional piece to make this deal and as long as it is NOT an unconditional 1st round pick; I would add another piece. Letting the contracts expire will put them into 2011 since Boozers contract doesn't expire until after the 2010 season and AK's after the 2011 season. This move gives them room to make a tremendous amount of moves during this up and coming off season.
I think this solves all Knicks problems and totally adds cohesion to the team. Utah retains a strong power forward in Lee and looses AK47's contract as well. If we had to add a top 10 protected 1st round pick, I would still do it.

metrocard

Legend
Homer, I've been cosigning 95% of the things you texted.

But this is a total fail becaue

1. Walsh strickly is plannin to get under the cap.
2. We're going to be a full tempo team, Boozer and Kirilenko are strickly half court players
3. I don't see how far we can go with Boozer as our best layer, David Lee can average 18 and 10 easily. Boozer isn't the type of PF we need in this system.
4. I don't see Utah even asking for Marbury, out of all teams and out of all coaches, it just seems farfetched.
5. This is a move a team who's CLOSE to winning a championship would do, we're not half close and so all this move would do is kill our cap space, and keep us at mediocrity for a couple other years.
6. You and I have fought against Isiah and his goons of Isiahsexuals, this seems like a very Isiah-like move, so I was just surprised overall by the thread; I wouldn't have expected this.

Lets just get under the cap for once and see how it works out.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Homer, I've been cosigning 95% of the things you texted.

But this is a total fail becaue

1. Walsh strickly is plannin to get under the cap.
2. We're going to be a full tempo team, Boozer and Kirilenko are strickly half court players
3. I don't see how far we can go with Boozer as our best layer, David Lee can average 18 and 10 easily. Boozer isn't the type of PF we need in this system.
4. I don't see Utah even asking for Marbury, out of all teams and out of all coaches, it just seems farfetched.
5. This is a move a team who's CLOSE to winning a championship would do, we're not half close and so all this move would do is kill our cap space, and keep us at mediocrity for a couple other years.
6. You and I have fought against Isiah and his goons of Isiahsexuals, this seems like a very Isiah-like move, so I was just surprised overall by the thread; I wouldn't have expected this.

Lets just get under the cap for once and see how it works out.

I'm for getting under the cap if the plan is to tank the next few years and build the team using draft picks. That is the only reason to do that. If we are hoping to win the LaBron lottery in 2010, then this organization is in for a rude awakening; the Labron thing is way to much of an "iffy" prospect to alter your plans over next 2 years!! I've been watching the Knicks for longer than I want to admit to as well as being a fan of NY sport teams. There is no way that we can use the next 3-4 years for trying to rebuild with young unproven talent. The cap situation will correct itself over time as long as the Knicks don't do what they have been doing for the past 7 years. 2 or 3 key moves can right this ship again, then you can let all the other bad contracts expire over the next few years. I thought I made some excellent points on why this trade would be great. I was surprised that you guys were so against it. Everyone posts how they are sick of the 1 dimensional team that the Knicks have and how we are not competitive year out. The trade scenario I mentioned (thought I agree would never happen) was the smartest way to make the Knicks a competitive team again. Boozer is an Oakley type of player minus some of the strong holding. If you kept Curry along side of him you would have a dominate low post game! AK47 would be that perimeter defender that the Knicks lack. You can make Crawford a sixth man type as well as a change of pace, sharp shooter.
This doesn't make sense to you guys!?!?!?!?! Then, I must have misunderstood all the posts that I have read over the past 3 years!

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
Not gonna work

ok let me tell you why this trade wouldnt work.
1- The knicks need marbury, atleast for this season- you cant start robinson, roberson, or duhon at PG.
2- D-LEE is the knicks best player, hes a hustle player and i dont see anyone else on the knicks who do that very often.
3- Im down for getting rid of malik rose, but theres no way in hell utah will give us AK47 and Boozer, they are 2 of the best players on the jazz's roster.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
1- The knicks need marbury, atleast for this season- you cant start robinson, roberson, or duhon at PG.
2- D-LEE is the knicks best player, hes a hustle player and i dont see anyone else on the knicks who do that very often.
3- Im down for getting rid of malik rose, but theres no way in hell utah will give us AK47 and Boozer, they are 2 of the best players on the jazz's roster.

I get it that Boozer and AK47 is their best players; why then have they been trying to dump them? It's public knowledge that the Jazz has been shopping their contracts around...
Yes Lee is a hustle guy but Boozer is a dominant low post player on both sides of the ball. Also, he has one thing that Lee doesn't have and that is the ability to box out his player in the post. Lee doesn't defend well, he rebounds great but not a good defender.
The Knicks DO NOT need Marbury! You will see the Knicks either trade his contract or dump him; watch. Mike D didn't want him in Phoenix and he doesn't want him in NY.
robinson, roberson and duhon are just as good as Marbury playing the point. They aren't near Marbury on the offensive side but they can run an offense as good as Marbury.

Paul1355

All Star

1)Correction, dont be surpried if Duhon starts we are paying him alot of money and its not to watch Marbury play all day. Walt Frazier said he can see Duhon starting and Steph playing both PG and SG alot. it makes sense since we are now loaded with PG's and no SG's to back up Crawford so making Steph a SG will make him get alot of playing time plus the other Points to get playing time as well. Marbs can play say example 15 min at PG and 15 at SG to even out 30 min a game and Duhon will get his minutes with Nate, and Roberson will come off the bench for a couple minutes for some shots. Crawford has a backup finally and we can play those other PG's like Duhon And Nate would be explosive with his athleticism and quickness in this system.
2) He isnt the best player, i now agree with whoever told me that Knicks fans do think of him too much. He is a very good player, a solid 6th man and can be a good rebounding starter averaging prob a double double...u know the usual 10 and 10 might go up a few points with him starting. But he isnt the best Knicks player come on. If Lee starts, Zach and Crawford will still average better offensive numbers and Zach will average close to same rebounds as Lee. Plus Chandler looks like a threat on both ends of the court...he will pass Lee in most categories.
3) There are rumors of these guys going since their contracts are so high. They have Deron WIlliams to build their team around so if they can get some talented players in return for those two theyd prob do it to free up cap space.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
ok i see what everyone is saying but, even if NY were to get boozer and AK47, now the front court gets crowded for minutes. we have Zach, Eddy, Chandler, The big Cock, Q, and Jeffries. yeah maybe they will dump Marbury, but no one on the team whose a guard can match his offensive ability. Yeah maybe duhon, robinson, and roberson can run the offense but Mike D is a run and gun offensive minded coach and to get easy baskets you have to outlet the ball fast, Duhon was a backup in chicago and nate hasnt had much experience running the point. Roberson, well we just signed him so we dont know what he can do, summer league was kind of a let down this year, with the exception of chandlers play.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't like the trade, because Andrei Kirilenko would take minutes away from Wilson Chandler, Renaldo Balkman, and Danilo Gallinari. I think those players deserve playing time, and they make far less money than Kirilenko. Kirilenko is overpaid, and we have enough overpaid players on our roster(Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Quentin Richardson, Jared Jeffries, Zach Randolph, Chris Duhon). For those of you that have a fetish for Kirilenko, I'm not saying he sucks. Overpaid doesn't mean you suck. Overpaid means you get too much money.

Carlos Boozer would be a good addition to our team, but what good is having Boozer when he's playing with Curry? I heard someone say that those two would be a dominant low post force. Correction, Boozer would be a dominant low post force. Curry would continue to be fat and suck. Considering that Boozer and Kirilenko aren't good enough to get the Knicks to the playoffs, it's not worth it. We would still have Chris Duhon and Eddy Curry in our starting lineup, and any team with those two as starters are a handicapped team. Unless it's the Lakers, Celtics, or Cavs.

Look at how bad the Knick lineup would look like, if we made that trade.

PG Chris Duhon lmao! A 5 ppg role player as our starter
SG Jamal Crawford-good role player, but he plays no D and he has terrible shot selection
SF Andrei Kirilenko- Good 3rd option on an established team; the Knicks are not established
PF Carlos Boozer- All Star
C Eddy Curry- fat and beloe average center that's never going to be good, because he's so lazy and one dimensional