Your 2008 Olympic Team

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm tired of all the fake trade talk that isn't really going to happen so i thought this thread would be kinda fun. It's pretty simple just post your 12 man Olympic Roster. Only rules are you can't use Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett (chose not participant), Amare Stoudamire, and Tyson Chandler (injuries). I know its kind of subjective but we could vote at the end to see who comes up with the best roster.

I think the 2008 roster is far better then 2004 and should win the gold but may main problem is a lack of toughness, size, and shooting. With the way the international refs call things Dwight Howard could easily get into foul trouble early and then we have no real depth behind him.

Point Guards - The most obvious position

Chris Paul & Deron Williams

Shooting Guards -

Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd, Joe Johnson

Small Forwards -

Lebron James, Tayshuan Prince, & Ron Artest

Power Forwards -

Chris Bosh & David West

Center

Dwight Howard & Marcus Camby

Subtractions

Kidd- With Paul, Williams, and the ability of Kobe, Lebron, Johnson and even Prince to handle the ball having three point guards is necessary. Not to mention despite his greatness Kidd has lost a step.

Dwayne Wade - We have slashes and need more shooting.

Carmello - Never been a fan

Boozer - Good player just would rather have David West at the 4.

Additions

Joe Johnson - Much better shooter then Wade. And in these tournaments you need shooting

Artest - Every team needs toughness and Artest would bring it. You could have Kobe, Artest, and Prince on the floor at the same time and teams would struggle to score points.

David West - Great pick and role player, puts up the same rebouding numbers as Boozer but is a better jumper shooter. Also can't under estimate the bond he has with Paul. Can't hurt to have two players who know each other well on the team.

Camby - You got to have two centers. Camby rebounds and blocks shots.

jpz17

Starter
I told you it would be moved, but anyway, Wade and Melo I disagree with, they need to be on the team

metrocard

Legend
Melo should be on the team, he's been USA's most efficient scorer since 2004.

Wade's style doesn't fit the team.

USA is undefeated with Kidd, how the hell he isn't on the team?

Team should be

Kidd/Paul/Williams
Kobe/Gordon
James/Battier
Anthony/Bosh
Howard/Stoudimire/Miller

You're not even understaning why team USA in 2004 underachieved(not just because there teams who were as good and played better)

They had too many great individual players who styles clashed with each other, similar to the Knicks.

You need a strong starting 5, with bench players who can fill assets.

Kidd is the best vet PG on the team and should be on the team just like how Arroyo is on the PR team. USA just plays better under Kidd.

Off the bench is Kidd's successor, Chris Paul who will be the future of team USA since PG play is so important in FIBA.

Kobe is the best option at SG and understands the international game and is very unselfish.

Williams and Gordon would be shooters/scorer off the bench who are faster, stronger and as good shooters/scorers than any guard from Spain, Greece or Argentina(except for Ginobili)

Williams and Gordon wouldn't expect a lot of minutes, so its just good to have them incase of an injury.

James is an automatic pick.

Battier can shoot the 3, block shots, has high basketball IQ, understands half court basketball, and is the best perimeter defender in the NBA behind Artest.

He won't demand shots and let the other guys do their thing offensively. Perfect role player for team USA.

Anthony is the best scorer for team USA, shoots very well and his post game is unstoppable. Bosh would be an alternate option.

Howard is a given, his rebounding and shot blocking cannot be matched.

Amare is all NBA first team player, so he's an automatic also.
He's good for the Olympics because he now has a jumpshot and a lot of skill on his game, instead of relying 100% on athletic ability.

Brad Miller is a 7 footer who can pass and shoot. This is VERY important in FIBA, and USA needs that asset.

Most of the guys on this roster are great passers except for the big men, which is why I added Miller.

Anyway, it'll be tough since Spain has the best team right now in the Olympics.

Ricky Rubio is on their team and you guys will see why he's the best PG in the 2009 NBA draft.

Check out for Rudy Fernandez too...a guy I wanted but Isiah ****ed up and didn't draft hi.

Pricey

Rotation player
My team would be

C: Andrew Bogut
PF: David Andersen
SF:Matt Nielsen
SG: Brad Newley
PG: Patrick Mills

Bench
C: Chris Anstey
G: CJ Bruton
G: Joe Ingles
F: Mark Worthington
G: David Barlow
F: Shawn Redhage
F :Nathan Jawai

I think the USA side needs Jason Kidd, they win whenever he plays so he can come off the bench easily.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
My 12 Man Olympic team

Starting 5
PG Chris Paul
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lebron James
PF Kevin Garnett(as much as I don't like the Celtics)
C Dwight Howard

Reserves
PG Stephon Marbury(You knew I had to put Starbury on the team)
SG Dwyane Wade
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Chris Bosh
C Al Jefferson
SG Joe Johnson
PG Deron Williams

GetRealistic

Starter
Did you guys see where i said you can't pick KG, and Duncan because they turned down the opportunity. And you can't pick Amare or Chandler due to injury.

GetRealistic

Starter
My 12 Man Olympic team

Starting 5
PG Chris Paul
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lebron James
PF Kevin Garnett(as much as I don't like the Celtics)
C Dwight Howard

Reserves
PG Stephon Marbury(You knew I had to put Starbury on the team)
SG Dwyane Wade
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Chris Bosh
C Al Jefferson
SG Joe Johnson
PG Deron Williams

Like the Al Jefferson Pick. I didn't even think of that

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You don't think of a lot of things.......
Whoah, you roasted him!

1170_MEDIUM.jpg

fire.jpg

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
As I've stated before, the weakness of the previous USA teams, including those that competed at the World Championships, was their lack of pure shooters. Sure the team didn't really mesh as well as how they are supposedly now after seriously training, but to be really dominant at the sport, it really shouldn't matter much that they didn't all have a serious Olympic program, which they have now implemented since Team USA's lackluster performances. Of course we can't also ignore the fact that those recent USA teams were without the real superstars, who decided not to participate, to really put up a "dream team." But now that that's put aside, the big difference I see with the recent Team USA's was the overabundance of slashers. Especially in international play, you really need more jump shooters.

I agree with GetRealistic on Melo and Wade. Either one of them should go. Joe Johnson is a great idea. Maybe add Ray Allen too. Too bad Tim Duncan can't be included.

Pricey

Rotation player
Im pumped we beat China with Yao in the side, good signs. Man im hoping we can get a medal.

Pricey

Rotation player
Im stoked with how we went against the USA without Bogut. Only lost by 11 points while USA's avg winning margin has been 33pts.
Hope we can get a medal.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
smh...this dude stays kissing ass for the approval of others.
Sad.

Still wanting more attention metro? I ain't got time to mess with you right now. But judging from your recent posts, I see a great deal of improvement in you my fine student. Keep up the good work.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Im stoked with how we went against the USA without Bogut. Only lost by 11 points while USA's avg winning margin has been 33pts.
Hope we can get a medal.

US team may actually be in trouble. Ever since that game with Russia, their scoring has been way down. They're gonna have to fight their way hard to the gold.

metrocard

Legend
Are you that lame that you can't make a post without kissing ass?

Heres a note: Don't kiss the ass of those who look down on you, it makes you look like a weak minority.

You've been lurking this site since 04' and still a nobody here.
Thanks for contributing to life.

youregay3tc3fb.gif

Last edited:

GetRealistic

Starter
Havent' been impressed with the last two games. Deffinately could have used a true lost post scorer and another spot up shooter. But we shall see.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Here is the schedule for all olympic basketball games.

Does anybody know how to watch/stream these games? I really want to watch Spain this year. Finally see Ricky Rubio in live action.

2008 OLYMPIC BASKETBALL GAMES SCHEDULE
All times Eastern (ET)

Note: InsideHoops.com translated all times into ET. So for example, under August 9, the first game of the evening is at 9pm ET August 9, but those night games are technically August 10. So, the first Team USA game, USA vs China, is actually at 10:15am ET the morning of August 10.

August 9
9:00 p.m. Russia - Iran
11:15 p.m. Germany - Angola
2:30 a.m. Spain - Greece
4:45 a.m. Lithuania - Argentina
8:00 a.m. Australia - Croatia
10:15 a.m. USA - China

August 11
9:00 p.m. Iran - Lithuania
11:15 p.m. Croatia - Russia
2:30 a.m. Greece - Germany
4:45 a.m. China - Spain
8:00 a.m. Angola - USA
10:15 a.m. Argentina - Australia

August 13
9:00 p.m. Germany - Spain
11:15 p.m. Australia - Iran
2:30 a.m. Angola - China
4:45 a.m. Lithuania - Russia
8:00 a.m. USA - Greece
10:15 a.m. Argentina - Croatia

August 15
9:00 p.m. Greece - Angola
11:15 p.m. Russia - Australia
2:30 a.m. Croatia - Lithuania
4:45 a.m. Iran - Argentina
8:00 a.m. China - Germany
10:15 a.m. Spain - USA

August 17
9:00 p.m. Iran - Croatia
11:15 p.m. Australia - Lithuania
2:30 a.m. Greece - China
4:45 a.m. Angola - Spain
8:00 a.m. USA - Germany
10:15 a.m. Argentina - Russia

August 20: Quarterfinals

August 22: Semifinals

August 24: Olympic basketball finals

Pricey

Rotation player
US team may actually be in trouble. Ever since that game with Russia, their scoring has been way down. They're gonna have to fight their way hard to the gold.
i wouldnt read too much into the result but. USA prob werent going flat out.
Rumour here is Bogut wont play in the Olympics, massive loss for us.

Best bit of the game was Patty Mills schooling Williams and Paul. Man he is a champ.