Memphis close to dealing for Z-Bo

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9861

Memphis and Randolph: At first you hear the Memphis Grizzlies and rumors that they have interest in Zach Randolph, and it's easy to dismiss. Come on there is no way you saddle a young team and a young coach with the "Black Hole" of basketball - the ball goes in, and it never comes out. Then you listen to the logic from sources in Memphis and you wonder are the Grizz really willing to make the leap? The logic behind the Zach Randolph to Memphis rumors is simply trading bad for bad. If the Grizzlies can get New York to take on some of Memphis' unwanted contracts, then it's worth looking at. The rumor as it stands is Memphis would assume the remaining three years and $43.9 million on Zach's deal, with a 2008-2009 salary of just under $14.7 million. If the Grizz could send out the final two years and $14.5 million owed to Darko Milicic and the final two years and $18.7 owed to Antoine Walker, it seems like that's what Memphis is looking at. Marko Jaric's boat anchor of a deal could easily be subbed in for Walker, because you can argue that Walker's contract, which is the highest on the team is the best deal, as the final year is a non-guaranteed year. Why Zach? Let's face it, he can still play and play at a very high level. If you talk with people in Portland, almost everyone says Zach is a follower, he is going to go with the crowd, and the young guys in Memphis might be just the right catalyst to get the most out of Zach, hence the discussion. The Grizzlies are not going to do New York any favors, but Zach's deal is a three-year deal, putting the Knicks on the hook for more than $17 million into 2011, which is not where they want to be. Memphis on the other hand even with Zach in town, still look to have plenty of cap space regardless as Zach would be the only really big deal the team holds, and then you factor in the trade value of an ending $17 million deal, and Memphis could be in a good place – if Zach doesn't poison the team. Everyone who has played with Zach loves him, so as a team mate it's an easy move, but from a basketball perspective there is some risk, and that's why there has not been a deal, but it's not farfetched to believe the Grizzlies are pondering it, sources close to the club were adamant not to dismiss the notion, as they say it's being discussed.

So it looks like Memphis wants us to take on 2 bad contracts for Z-Bo but Walsh will try to pull one of Memphis' young, upcoming PGs as well or if we are f#ckin' lucky maybe OJ :) lol

Darko has 2 more yrs on his contract $7 mil in 08/09 and $7.5mil in 09/10
Walker has 2 more yrs on his contract $9mil in 08/09 and a team option to send him to Free Agency in 09/10 paying him $10 mil.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9861

So it looks like Memphis wants us to take on 2 bad contracts for Z-Bo but Walsh will try to pull one of Memphis' young, upcoming PGs as well or if we are f#ckin' lucky maybe OJ :) lol

Darko has 2 more yrs on his contract $7 mil in 08/09 and $7.5mil in 09/10
Walker has 2 more yrs on his contract $9mil in 08/09 and a team option to send him to Free Agency in 09/10 paying him $10 mil.

Nice find. The salaries don't need to match since Memphis is under the cap. Does anybody know about Javaris Crittenton? Would Memphis be willing to part with him, and is he worth it, as a point guard?

I would prefer Eddy for Darko, and Zach for Wally Z. That would take care of our salary cap issues immediately, but I'm ok with Zach for Darko and somebody else. At least we know the Knicks are talking. I was getting worried.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Seems like they've been talking forever, but they don't pull the trigger. It would provide salary cap relief, it would be nice if they threw in a PG.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Yea I guess they really want to add a low post scorer but at the same time they are worried that Z-bo might corrupt their young players...

Adding Z-Bo would give them a nice squad tho

PG: Conley
SG: OJ
SF: Warrick
PF: Zach
C: Marc Gasol

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yea I guess they really want to add a low post scorer but at the same time they are worried that Z-bo might corrupt their young players...

Adding Z-Bo would give them a nice squad tho

PG: Conley
SG: OJ
SF: Warrick
PF: Zach
C: Marc Gasol

You forgot about Rudy Gay.

NYKnicks15

Starter
not too sure this deal will happen. it is true that Memphis and NY have kept in contact especially since the draft BUT you have to remember Memphis' head coach is Marc Iavaroni the same one that coached under Coach D in PHX. They have pretty much the same style of coaching and if Mike D doesnt like Randolph who is to say Marc I would.

We all forget that Zach is still a very good player. and i think he could thrive in both offenses with that being said Memphis (after the Minny deal) is looking shifty. they got their player in Mayo BUT they also got Antoine Walker's contract, Greg Buckners and marco jarics. so it seems they are willing to add a contract to "make the team better" (much like Isiah did BARF) eventually and Zach could be the same case except that he actually would help the team immediately.

with saying that im undecided on the trade. Darko comes off in two years, and Walker the next. so itd be instant cap relief especially if we can add another contract IF we could do that id be all for it. if we could swing a Randolph & say Jerome James trade id definitely be down. but at this rate unless a young player is added (which we dont really need another guard this side of OJ Mayo) i dont see this as too exciting of a trade option.

we have two years until that big draft class comes out.. i say dont rush it. lets see if these players we talk down upon can raise their stock. whats the worst that can happen? haha

moneyg

Starter
id do that trade like yesterday. darko and id take walker's contract too. he has a team option for the last two years of his three year deal. so we can drop him after the season. i like bucker too. reminds me a little of bowen good defender and has recently develop a 3pt shot:smokin:

New New York

Quiet Storm
The fact that they have not immediatley dismissed the notion of adding Zach is a good sign for us. I honestly think that there may not be enough ball to go around on the team if they add Zach. But, I also said the samething about G-State with BD,Stephen Jackson,Harrington and co. I mean it could work, Zach for sure is good for a double double so what team wouldnt want that production? I would do the deal for Darko, Walker or Jaric or Walker but I wouldnt want to take on two two year deals. I'm a bit intrigued about adding Darko because right now he is a player that could still break out, but is still cheap in comparison to his potential.

We just have to wait and see

jpz17

Starter
we should give Zach and our cheerleaders for Mayo, right now our cheerleaders are the most valuable asset to trade

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Zach and Memphis

ESPN's "Rumor Central" noted a story from a Memphis paper a couple of days ago reflecting apparent ongoing talks. It was more positive than the Hoopsworld story featured in this thread. I would post it here, but that is beyond my technical capacity.

Darko was the central figure and there was little mention of other players. The Hoopsworld article has, I believe, some inaccuracies. First, Zach's salaries for the next three years are $14.67M, $16M and $17.33M or $48M for the three years. Darko has only two years at $7M and then $7.5M.

Jaric's salaries go through 2010, $6.75M for 2008, $7.1M in 2009, and $7.625 for 2010. We do not want 2010 salaries.

Walker gets $9.05M in 2008, a team option $9.775M for 2009, and if his team wants him in 2009 and exercises the option he has a committed $10.5M salary for 2010. This would mean that he can be dumped and off the books after 2008. At least, that is the way I understand it.

Since Memphis has cap space, the contracts do not have to match, but I expect that Memphis would love to dump Antoine's 2008 salary.

Even with Antoine and Darko, there is a big monetary saving, particularly given the luxury tax implications -- Zach's $48M versus the combined Darko and Antoine $23.5M.

Javaris Crittenton is guranteed a little over $1M for only 1 year. We are not etting OJ or Conley.

I would be happy with Darko and a buy-out of Antoine. Maybe there is a draft pick in there.

jpz17

Starter
dude, I had a really long reply, but I went back by accident, long story short,
Zach Nate Lee

for

Walker Darko Mayo pick

Paul1355

All Star
I like this idea

Nice find Trinstarr. Zach is perfect for certain teams like Memphis, Chicago, and the Clippers who are in a desperate need for a low post scorer. i didn't know Memphis had that much Cap space still left. If we do this trade we would be free by '10, finally get a Center to back up Curry, and replace Zach as a PF with Walker and make Lee our starting PF. I like this trade idea. If we could get a pick with it would be even better, but those two guys are fine.
Marbury/Duhon/Nate
Crawford/any other guard
Chandler/Q Rich/Gallinari
Lee/Gallinari
Curry/Darko

New New York

Quiet Storm
Nice find Trinstarr. Zach is perfect for certain teams like Memphis, Chicago, and the Clippers who are in a desperate need for a low post scorer. i didn't know Memphis had that much Cap space still left. If we do this trade we would be free by '10, finally get a Center to back up Curry, and replace Zach as a PF with Walker and make Lee our starting PF. I like this trade idea. If we could get a pick with it would be even better, but those two guys are fine.
Marbury/Duhon/Nate
Crawford/any other guard
Chandler/Q Rich/Gallinari
Lee/Gallinari
Curry/Darko

Co-sighn

The ideal package is Darko and Walker for Zach and Mardy. That deal puts us under the cap next season with Curry,Jerome James (I hope gone by then), and Jamal having the opt out option. Lets say this trade goes down and Jerome James retires and we get that cap relief, we will be at 42 million in cap next year. Meaning we could offer D Lee about 8 million per and still be under cap with 16.8 million dollars in contracts (Darko 7.5 million, Q 9.3 million) coming off the books in 09/10. If we hold on to Nate for the qualifying offer until then he could get 6 million per extension and we could still be a major player in the free agent market 10/11. We ofcourse will have to pick up a PG along the way.

A whole lot of ifs though!

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rd-zach-randolph-could-be-on-move-for-milicic

This trade rumor just won't go away! It looks like Jaric and Darko could be the players who would be head to NY( I wanted Antoines expiring contract). I would want a pick in that scenerio because of Jaric's three year deal. This scenerio only saves us 2 million next season and 10 million the year after. Jaric has three years 21 million dollars on his contract so we would have to anticipate him being a Knick for atleast two of those years, but I do like tall PG's who can defend. He scores 8 ppg shoots 43% 73% from the line and 38% from three; so he is quite honestly an average player. The Grizz taking his contract is why they have Mayo so if we liberate them from that we need a little more than just cap relief. I'd say a top 3 protected 2010 that goea unprotected in 2011 pick would do. Now Darko would give us a much needed 1.5 blks per game and I think he would look good along with Lee and Danillo in the froncourt.

Steph/Duhon/Mardy/Jaric
Jamal/Nate/Roberson
Q or Wilson/Danillo
Lee/Danillo/Jefferies
Darko/*Eddy/Jefferies

Still very guard heavy, but certainley a team who could run. I'd say if Eddy comes back in shape he doesnt lose his starting role, but, as we all know that is very unlikely.

Just being honest I don't see why the Grizz would want another scorer even if he does rebound, but, I'm certain they have to have their logic.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Memphis just signed the Iranian center too, and plus they also shave Marc Gasol as well at center...writing is on the wall for darko...

And PS - the only good thing about Jaric coming over here is getting to see this at the Garden every night :) lol

adriana-lima.jpg

WHICH ACTUALLY MIGHT BE WORTH THE FULL $21 MILLION :)

dre48ny

Rotation player
They do have a Center to spare and we need one. Chances are higher than ever for a deal to go down.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Newsday made mention of the trade today so that is atleast one of our papers now reporting on this possible deal.

I hope either this deal is done or denied by mid next week.

dre48ny

Rotation player
The Grizzlies did mention a while back that they were interested in the Iranian and they got him. They've mentioned Randolph for a while now, so it might be true. Training camp starts on September 30, so let's see.