Donnie Weighs in on some current Knick players

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://iptv.nyknicks.com/nyknicks/console?type=fvod&id=526&catid=4

I know most of you have probably seen this video, but wanted to get some feedback from yall on it.

I was most surprised about what he said about Jared Jefferies. I think that he is probably the last player that you would think would fit into Dantoni's system, but Donnie seems to think otherwise.....Now he could just be blowing smoke, but he was pretty honest about certain players so I kinda believe him.

I like how he said for sure he was not shopping D. Lee and stressed that David is a restricted free agent and he can match any offer made to him next season.

Compared Jamal to Reggie Miller and Alan Houston....interesting

Nate is a freak of nature!

He thought Q was too over weight last year

I'm still a bit upset that we didnt go after Jerry Colangelo, but Donnie is starting to grow on me.

moneyg

Starter
well i'll tell u one thing nny.... jefferies will probably only play the 4 or 5 in d'antonio system. the good thing is he can pass and handle the ball. he just need to develop a consistant 10-12 footer. but he can play d.

jamal needs to be made into a spot up shooter like alan houston. u dont need him handling the ball. just catch and shoot Jamal.

keep d lee and c what his value is at at years end.

take the leash off nate.. go get him.. i dont know if anybody can guard him one on one. hes way to fast. id have him attacking the basket all the time. it would be hard to call a charge on someone that 5'5''.:smokin:

Yeah I agree on Jamal. DOnnie compares him to both Reggie Miller and Allan Houston so maybe this comming season we'll see more of Jamal comming off screens and catching and shooting?

moneyg

Starter
yep. jamal a streaky shooter. but i can guarantee if you look at the fg% of when he shoots without dribbling. its probably close to 50%. I really cant remember jamal missing many wide open catch and shoot shots

New New York

Quiet Storm
Money G is correct in that this could be a big year for Nate. The thing I liked about Nate ever since his rookie season is that he never backs down, and he plays hard.

My only hang up with Jamal is his shot selection and Shooting PCT. I remember Larry Brown saying that he was The Knicks best on the ball defender so he can play D when he wants to (remember that nice strip he had on Chucky Atkins Isiah's first game as coach). I just can't see a Reggie Miller or Allan Houston comparison. I think if Jamal played more under control his shooting PCT. would go up, and likely his ppg would go down, but he would be a much more efficient player for us. I'd take only 14ppg with him shooting 45% with 38% from behind the Arch.

I wouldnt mind Jefferies at the 4 and 5 off the bench I think Dantoni likes to go small to give quickness matchup advantages for his teams and like you said even if Jefferies becomes an average shooter than he really can help us out because of his D and passing.

The problem is how much improvement can you expect from players who have formed all these bad tendencies and had them for mutiple seasons. I mean is it realistic to think Jamal will finally get it about shot selection and playing under control? I mean simply put if Eddy worked hard every off season he would be an All Star, but is realistic to expect the light to just come on? But Dantoni did get the most out of every player that played for him in Pheonix, hell Tim Thomas looked like an All Star in the 3 months he was a Sun and that was after sitting out almost that whole season, so I guess there is reason to be hopefull.

metrocard

Legend
Jefferies has to go; the man is a terrible all around player.

Richardson can stay because of his experience with D'Antoni, thats a huge benefit for a coach to coach one of his ex-players again. Q is a good vet, even though he's a snitch; he'll assist guys like Chandler and Gallinari.