Patrick Ewing is a knick!!! - Jr that is :)

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/08/knicks_trade_fo.html

Knicks trade for Ewing's son
By MARC BERMAN

The KnicksNew York Knicks have failed to bring legend Patrick Ewing back into the organization, but instead they added his son today.

In a minor deal, the Knicks acquired forward Patrick Ewing Jr. from the Rockets for the draft righst to - center Frederic Weis. Yes, believe it or not, the Knicks still had the rights to their first-round pick in 1999 - the French stiff who spurned the NBA.

A 6-8 role player out of Georgetown, Ewing Jr, was drafted in the second round by Sacramento but was traded to Houston in the Ron Artest deal a few weeks ago. Scouts are concerned Ewing Jr. wouldn't have an NBA postion. He averaged 6.1 points, 4.2 rebounds in 21 minutes as a senior.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh raved about Ewing Jr. on draft night, praising his defense, and admitted he was trying to obtain a late first-round pick or second-round pick to draft him. However, despite his athleticism, he is a poor offensive player and not much of a shooter.

“I like him a lot,'' Walsh said after the draft. "We were trying to get picks in the first round and he would’ve been one of the guys in my mind. I think he could be a good addition to an NBA team because he’s a glue guy.”

At the Orlando pre-draft camp in early June, Ewing, a Magic assistant, watched his son compete and said he'd love if the Knicks drafted him. Ewing Jr. is no lock to make the team since the Knicks have 16 players - one above the maximum - though Stephon MarburyStephon Marbury could be cut.

Walsh drew the ire of Ewing last spring for not extending him a courtesy interview for the head-coaching job. This more than makes up for it if Ewing Jr. makes the Knicks, who open training camp Sept. 30th in Saratoga.

Paul1355

All Star
Wow

Ewing Jr. in the Big Apple. Walsh obviously wants hardcore Knicks fans to love him and bring some life back into this place. Ewing Jr. is known for his defense so that fills the role of Renaldo Balkman, a 6-8 defending forward. Maybe this is a way to persuade Patrick Ewing to become a defensive coach for the Knicks????

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm not against this move, but it's nothing to get excited about. Another lateral move. When are we going to make some moves that actually help this team?

NYKnicks15

Starter
good PR move thats all it is at the moment. hes a solid player and if we make some more moves could get some playing time. the fact of the matter is we got him for Frederic Weiss so even if this guy plays 1 second on our team he has accomplished more then Weis in his whole career

New New York

Quiet Storm
I agree w/ LJ this move is pretty insignificant. I doubt he makes the team unless we finally buy out Jerome James and he just takes his spot.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The knicks are in dire need of positive PR after all the past off season crap we have had to deal with.
Besides it was for the draft rights to weiss??? lol - Like he'll ever come to the NBA lol
Definitely not after that facial from VC.

I think the knicks will let malik walk since it's his last season and have EW jr take his spot.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i think a trade is about to happen wit memphis, memphis just another center(probably to replace darko)

KBlack25

Starter
I think the bigger question is why the Knicks still have the draft rights to Frederic Weis. And the bigger than bigger question is why anybody would want them.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Alan Hahn' Newsday Blog

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/08/good_karma_ewing_jr_is_a_knick.html

If it were April 1, I'd never believe it.

Donnie Walsh proved he has a sense of humor -- and maybe an ability to scrub clean a few stains on history -- when he pulled off a minor trade with some major juice.

Ewing for Weis.

Ya gotta be kiddin me.

There are no guarantees that Junior will make this team. Right now he's No. 16 out of 15 spots but as Donnie said in the statement that Ewing will "have an opportunity here to compete for a spot on our roster." That -- and the good karma that comes with this move -- should be enough to make this a well-received move.

We've been talking about Ewing, Jr. here in Fixer Nation since May. I've said from the beginning he's the type of guy that fits best with the Knicks because he brings more than just basketball. He'll be great for the crowd, a terrific energy guy who knows exactly what the Garden experience is all about. He literally grew up in the place and has no problem waving towels and diving for loose balls.

And who knows, he's not big at barely 6-8 in sneakers and 225-pounds, but he has a tremendous vertical and a freakish 7-foot wingspan. He's not a bad shooter but doesn't have great range. Still, in a pinch he can give you maybe what you expected out of Balkman, but he's a far more intelligent player and a little more reliable mentally than my man Rey. (Aw man, crazy). That much we'll have to find out in camp.

Now, regarding the inclusion of Weis in this trade, which had to be only for comedic purposes: I asked around and was told that NBA teams had lifetime rights to a player they draft unless they renounce or trade or sign that player and he becomes a free agent. It's a problem for many European players, apparently. Weis never signed so even though they drafted him almost a decade ago, they still technically maintained his rights. Why the Rockets would want this guys rights is far beyond anything I am interested in hearing on the Friday before Labor Day weekend.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
This is a good thing

yes, although insignificant, this move does get knicks fans excited. Ewing JR is a great defensive player and is very athletic, but we really do have a ton of guards on this team now, time to cut down a bit. im interested to see what happens with memphis if we deal out curry or Z-BO. Welcome to knicks Ewing JR!

dre48ny

Rotation player
It is cool to see that a legend's kid made it to the big stage. He followed his steps and transferred to G-town and now at leat he will be in training camp wearing a Knick Jersey. That is a great story. I've seen Jordan's kids playing ball, and they do not shine at all. If he doesn't make it oh well, at least he tried. Knicks would have to cut someone to make room for him if he is that good on Defense.

CoolClyde

Frederic Weis!

A Weis move by Donnie Darko! who knew we still had his contract?
I applaude this minor, yet significant move, getting a Ewing back in the fold. I think he'll make the team, and be a crowd-pleaser for his hustle, his D, and his namesake. Next move...? Zbo gotta go!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I like this move. Patrick Ewing Jr. is young, motivated, and he might be able to provide some shot blocking. He's only 6'8, so it'll be interesting to see if D'Antoni can find a way to fit him into the rotation.

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfjkZDiLFR0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfjkZDiLFR0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to agree with a couple of posters.
The major question is why does the Knicks still have the draft rights to Frederic Weis?
And the super-major question is why would anybody want them?

I'm not against this move, but it's nothing to get excited about.
It's another lateral PR move.
When are we going to make some moves that actually help this team?
It's been 6 months now of being Walsh-up on a Lottery Island, with a wrecked boat and no paddles...

Trin_Starr

Starter
I have to agree with a couple of posters.
The major question is why does the Knicks still have the draft rights to Frederic Weis?
And the super-major question is why would anybody want them?

Because that's what Donnie brings to the table - instant respect around the league!

Other GMs would have spit in Isiah's face if he even mentioned a thought of making this trade lol

moneyg

Starter
Because that's what Donnie brings to the table - instant respect around the league!

Other GMs would have spit in Isiah's face if he even mentioned a thought of making this trade lol

thats the point, donnie will be able to make trades that isiah cant because he is respected and wont be suckered. isiah though he was getting over on everybody else thats why everybody got over on him

like ewing jr. he has the best vertical of this years draft (tied with sombody else, cant remember). plays defense and is a student of the game. just wasn't blessed with a jimmy. i see him as a good role player playing alongside a player like curry who doesn't rebound alot, but with d'antoni system i can c him plying the 5 alot

retire jerome.. please

bring SR back......:beer: