Mike D interview...talks about players

NYKnicks.com: We have been asking players this question, so we'll put it to you, too: If you have one thing you want to tell the fans about the Knicks this year, one single message, what is it you want to tell them?

D'Antoni: That we're going to be exciting. We're going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Until he sees how lazy Curry is, Jamaal's 5 Travels a game topped off with the 15 fade away 40 footers, Zach the blackhole, Jefferies missing layups, Q making way less shots than he did in phx.

But hey, if they don't cut Marbury, it will all be his fault. The players will just say "Just him being here made the rest of us suck"

Starks

Starter
He's a met fan! great, I already like him.

Horrible interview though. Anything that comes from MSG should be ignored. It is complete propoganda that ignores reality. Runs like the Cuban government.

Trin_Starr

Starter
NYKnicks.com: Is there anybody who has surprised you so far from what you've seen?

D'Antoni: Jared Jeffries. He's surprised me. He's been a lot better than I thought.

NYKnicks.com: What about Jared has caught your eye?

D'Antoni: With Jared, it's just his versatility. He can really see the floor and he's got a lot of skills. Chris Duhon has done really well, too. He never gets tired and just keeps running.

Am I reading that right??? Jefferies? who always be fumbling an easy layup??

Toons

is the Bo$$
just because u seen balkman dunk on fast breaks dosent mean shit, he cant finish a layup. he cant hit a 5-10 footer, he airballed several free throws n laughed about it....jefferies can hit a jumper more consistantly than balkman....jefferies is better offensively and defensively than balkman, and he's 6'10

GetRealistic

Starter
just because u seen balkman dunk on fast breaks dosent mean shit, he cant finish a layup. he cant hit a 5-10 footer, he airballed several free throws n laughed about it....jefferies can hit a jumper more consistantly than balkman....jefferies is better offensively and defensively than balkman, and he's 6'10

I agree with you, but i'd get ready for a lengthy response from Kiya about this post.

Kiyaman

Legend
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">NYKnicks.com: Is there anybody who has surprised you so far from what you've seen?

D'Antoni: Jared Jeffries. He's surprised me. He's been a lot better than I thought.

D'Antoni: With Jared, it's just his versatility. He can really see the floor and he's got a lot of skills. Chris Duhon has done really well, too. He never gets tired and just keeps running. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Am I reading that right??? Jefferies? who always be fumbling an easy layup??

He wasn't as bad offensively as Balkman. (Paul, that comment is a distraction to sway members away from Dantoni "media" evaluation of his players)

no, your wrong on that, Balkmen could bring it to the hoop and dunk it in, balkmen could get past guys because he uses effort, Jefferies just sits and rots

no, your wrong on that, Balkmen could bring it to the hoop and dunk it in, balkmen could get past guys because he uses effort, Jefferies just sits and rots

I agree with you, but i'd get ready for a lengthy response from Kiya about this post.

Your absolutely right I'm gonna get all up in this.

Balkman Rookie Season (Tazman), he proved to be 100 times better than Jared Jefferies. But then again every SF the Knicks had on the team in the last 4 seasons proved to be better than Jefferies.

Dont get me wrong, watching Jared Jefferies 2007 summer at the Bigman Camp showed a very athletic Jared Jefferies inwhich under the right coach (Eddie Jordan) given the right "Role to Play" can be very affective within a team that does not rely on Jefferies to score.
However, Balkman's strong "will" in the paint and court awareness happens to be more effective than Jefferies.

Paul1355

All Star
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">NYKnicks.com: Is there anybody who has surprised you so far from what you've seen?

D'Antoni: With Jared, it's just his versatility. He can really see the floor and he's got a lot of skills. Chris Duhon has done really well, too. He never gets tired and just keeps running. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Your absolutely right I'm gonna get all up in this.

Balkman Rookie Season (Tazman), he proved to be 100 times better than Jared Jefferies. But then again every SF the Knicks had on the team in the last 4 seasons proved to be better than Jefferies.

Dont get me wrong, watching Jared Jefferies 2007 summer at the Bigman Camp showed a very athletic Jared Jefferies inwhich under the right coach (Eddie Jordan) given the right "Role to Play" can be very affective within a team that does not rely on Jefferies to score.
However, Balkman's strong "will" in the paint and court awareness happens to be more effective than Jefferies.

You have your points but to say he had strong "will" in the paint? he would air ball 2 foot shots.

Kiyaman

Legend
Have you ever watched Balkman in college or his rookie season do what you just mentioned?

Are you talking about Balkman 2nd season where Isiah did not let Balkman get any playingtime in the Preseason games. And media took pictures of Balkman running and Dunking in practice with some bag on his foot?

The same season inwhich Isiah lost-face in a verdict trail that embarrased the Knick organization. Where Isiah day to day job was on the line at a 95% of being Fired and 5% at see what the next day bring.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
The Boldness in this is some member playing around with my posting. Seeeya

NYKnicks.com: Let's name a few players on the roster, and if you can just say the first thing that pops into your mind, starting with Quentin Richardson, whom you already know from having coached him in Phoenix.

D'Antoni: He's a guy you want to go to battle with. He comes up with big plays.
-----

In Q.Rich 3 seasons as a Knick I hav'nt seen this.
O.K. maybe in a couple of games in the last 3 seasons.

NYKnicks.com: Eddy Curry?

D'Antoni: Big. He's one of the better centers in the league.
-------

Not on DEFENSE...

NYKnicks.com: Zach Randolph?

D'Antoni: Zach is a 20-10 guy who is one of the two or three guys in the league that can do it.
-------

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what have his 20-10 performance done in the last 4 seasons to help his TEAM winning record?

NYKnicks.com: How about Wilson Chandler? He's a player you might not have known a lot about before you came over here.

D'Antoni: He's got unbelievable potential. The same with (Danilo) Gallinari. He also has unbelievable talent and can really make others around him better.
-------

I'm wondering why Dantoni would compare Gallo with Chandler? when that was my main reason for watching the SL games. Chandler all the way.
Did we need another scoring SF out of the draft? when we have a 2nd season Chandler who's potential talents is worth giving 24 or more mpg to this season?
instead of giving the majority of playingtime to Q.Rich and Jefferies.

Why was'nt Marbury name mentioned in this article?
did Dantoni demand that Marbury name not come up in this article?
didn't he play in Phoenix for Dantoni too?

GetRealistic

Starter
So was the new head coach supposed to blast the players hes about to start coaching?

Kiya you gotta stop speculating about D'Antoni's rotation when the team hasn't even played a preseason game yet. Even if Gallanari is 100% healthy atleast until January he probably won't play more then 12 minutes a night. He's a 19 year old rookie, theres going to be a learning curve. Chandler if he plays like we all expect is going to play 30 plus minutes a night no problem, so yet again your arguement is lame.

Also if you've ever watched Phoenix play you would know he doesn't follow the protypical position placement that many other teams do. You could easily see a front court of Jefferies, Gallo, Chandler at the same time.

Chandler will player the PF and the SF
Gallo will do the same and possibly even play the C in small spurts
Jeffires will play all front court spots
Q will play the PF, SF, and SG

Its not your typical brand of basketball, there will be minutes for all. Also D'Antoni has no prior relationship with any of these players and he wasn't responsible for bringing any of them in so he should have no problem completely benching a player if he doesn't think he deserves the minutes.

IF Jefferies plays like he did in Washington he will fit in the system.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Have you ever watched Balkman in college or his rookie season do what you just mentioned?

Are you talking about Balkman 2nd season where Isiah did not let Balkman get any playingtime in the Preseason games. And media took pictures of Balkman running and Dunking in practice with some bag on his foot?

The same season inwhich Isiah lost-face in a verdict trail that embarrased the Knick organization. Where Isiah day to day job was on the line at a 95% of being Fired and 5% at see what the next day bring.

I was impressed wth Balkman when he first came to the Knicks. But then after his first year he was going down hill dramatically. Last year was horrible for him, if you compare it to the other years as a Knick.

This isn't about Isiah, I think he played Balkman too much last year. 18 minutes per game i think, too much time for him. He isn't a 6th man or big time role player...those are an important role player's minutes. Balkman is a 3rd sting SF off the bench to fill in to bring some energy and speed on the court.

metrocard

Legend

Jefferies was the worst offensive player on the Knicks the last two seasons, and his defensive preformance was terrible compared to expectations.

Balkman was clutch his first season and wasn't awarded his opportunity the second season by Isiah.

Balkman's defense in his rookie year > Jefferies D his whole career.

Kiyaman

Legend
Coach Dantoni is in a fantasy land in this interview for not bringing up the Knick Starting PG-Marbury in the 2008-9 season.

Do Dantoni think that owner Dolan is going to just kick-out $16 to $21 million dollars so Marbury could go to a veteran lead team in his Conference or Division to score 30 to 50 points on the Knicks everytime they meet. Especially on a no-defensive coach like Dantoni.

Owner Dolan may not know a damn thing about B-Ball in the NBA, but he is a Money Wise Bussinesman with plenty advisors, and $21 million dollars is not something you give away for nothing to your competitors.

So far the hiring of President Donnie Walsh and his interview Friday, where he admitted he did nothing this offseason for the rebuilding of this 23 win Knick team, plus cant find away to get a profit or a way to benefit the use of a $21 million dollar Marbury for one season dont look good to any of Dolan's advisors whom also are reading these Newspapers with the media spin on Marbury.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->