And now a few words from our Current PG

GetRealistic

Starter
Marbury has certainly slimmed down and appears to be in great shape. No one can reasonably deny his physical abilities. On pure individual talent he is several levels above Duhon. However, at best, he is with the Knicks for one year. Resigning him to a new contract at the amount and duration he would likely demand would greatly inhibit the opportunity for 2010 cap space. He is not part of the rebuilding process.

If there is a problem having him this year, the problem is the extent to which his fellow players can live with him. We all hear stories, but none of us knows what really goes on in the locker room. If he can make peace with his team mates, then I am all for keeping him. Perhaps his good play will produce value at the trading deadline.

However, though the Knicks have to pay him, they don't have to play him. As i have noted before, Dolan can play haard ball and things could get ugly. Perhaps the best for all involved is a reasonable buy out. Marbury should be able to make up any difference in the discount with his new team. That team would not have to sign him at the veteran's minimum.

Good post. He could always sell his 45 million dollar jet back to makeup the difference.

I got a question. If the Dolan and Walsh did play hard ball with Marbury and did what Chicago did with Tim Thomas a few years back would that mean he's still taking up a roster spot. Of would it be like in the NFL where if hes on the physical unable to perform list he doesn't count against the roster?

The negitive to playing hardball with Marbury is that it lessens the chances of Ewing Jr, and Houston to make the roster. Then again it looks like Malik Rose and Jerome James are getting bought out so we'll be fine.

Starks

Starter
yeaa i dont know about that one buddy....

I think season ticket holders are. The wealthy corporate dudes/families and steph def don't mix.

At the last season ticket holders town hall meeting, when his name was brought up the room was filled with boos. Same for Randolph

Trin_Starr

Starter
I was actually pretty impressed with Marbury in this interview...he didn't do anything crazy in there! well not much actually :) lol

But he did say make some valid points and is sincere in his attempt to come back and be a great knick PG.

WiL8000

Rotation player
The interview is positive, yes we've heard it before, but Marbury has a lot to prove this year. Like many of you, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't want to see the Knicks buy him out and get nothing in return, what a waste that would be. I'd rather have him play out this season and have that huge salary come off the books for more flexibility in the future. My vote for buyouts goes with Rose and James unless by some miracle some dumb ass team will take either one off the Knicks hands (won't happen). Can't wait to see how this plays out!

portega1968

El Cacique
I honestly could care less about what he says anymore. All I care about is what he does on this court and what he does for this team.

ACTION.

His words mean crap.

Agree. He should just shut up and prove he has what it takes to lead this team back to glory. He has to prove that he could stop being such a controversial figure in the locker room and become a true leader.

Just the fact that he divides us Knick fans so passionately indicates how he divides the locker room. I don't remember a player that divided his team's fans so much and so passionately. Enemies have been created in this and other forums because of this guy.

It's sad 'cause I believed in this guy big time for the first three seasons but the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy". In Stephon's case, we've been bitten more than once and that's not counting how fans in Jersey, Minny and Phoenix feel.

Since we have to pay him all that money and can't ship him to Italy or the NBDL, might as well keep him around given the fact this is a wasted year anyway. Just as long as we don't have an uprising in the locker room like we had last year, let's all agree on giving Stephon one more chance. Let him and not Walsh decide the final outcome of the Starbury wars.

BTW, I'm neither a lover nor a hater, just someone who eventually got tired of being let down by him and others like Curry and Jamal.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Marbury has certainly slimmed down and appears to be in great shape. No one can reasonably deny his physical abilities. On pure individual talent he is several levels above Duhon. However, at best, he is with the Knicks for one year. Resigning him to a new contract at the amount and duration he would likely demand would greatly inhibit the opportunity for 2010 cap space. He is not part of the rebuilding process.

If there is a problem having him this year, the problem is the extent to which his fellow players can live with him. We all hear stories, but none of us knows what really goes on in the locker room. If he can make peace with his team mates, then I am all for keeping him. Perhaps his good play will produce value at the trading deadline.

However, though the Knicks have to pay him, they don't have to play him. As i have noted before, Dolan can play haard ball and things could get ugly. Perhaps the best for all involved is a reasonable buy out. Marbury should be able to make up any difference in the discount with his new team. That team would not have to sign him at the veteran's minimum.

Great Post! Nice to see another person who is simply a Knick fan not a member of "Team Starbaury" nor a "Starbaury Hater".

Again I want Steph back if he is ready to do the things that will make us better. Now, physically that looks like the case, but I'd be lying if I said that he convinced me his attitude has changed (see the "I'm just good at defending myself", and the "I want all my money" comments). So yeah naturally there is still some apprehension towards him. But getting physically ready is a good start to me.

One thing I have to differ with you on is, playing hardball to me just causes further off the court distractions. Unlike the Tim Thomas situation with Chicago Steph will not stay as quiet as Tim did. Berman will interview him atleast once a week while the hold out is taking place and since we will likely be losing a lot this season, that will be the salt in the wound, but, so would releasing him to watch him go play win a Title in Boston! So the only safe bet for us is that he is ready to help this team in every way possible.

Also, I know that if there is locker room issues history would suggest that Steph is the instigator, but, in order to move forward the players who have an issue with him are going to have to let their beefs go too. I mean it's not like he slept with anyone's wife or anything like that! So really Donnie needs to talk to the teamates who have an issue with him just as much he needs to deal with Steph if he wants to start clean!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Hard Ball

New New York's point about "hard ball" creating a dangerous distraction is well taken.

But hard ball will come into play only if, and not until after, there is a decision that Steph must go. Then the buy-out negotiations will begin. But if Steph can make peace with his teammates -- and I hope he can -- perhaps we will never reach that point.

I do not believe Walsh has said anything negative about Marbury. He told him to get into shape, Marbury did, and Walsh complimented him. However, there may be a problem with Dolan. He could still be quite annoyed at Steph's conduct last year and, particularly, his performance during the Anucha Brown Sanders trial.

GetRealistic had a good question. If we do not "play" Marbury a la Tim Thomas, does he nonetheless take up a roster spot? I am not positive, but I think he will as long as he's physically able to play.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

New New York

Quiet Storm
New New York's point about "hard ball" creating a dangerous distraction is well taken.

But hard ball will come into play only if, and not until after, there is a decision that Steph must go. Then the buy-out negotiations will begin. But if Steph can make peace with his teammates -- and I hope he can -- perhaps we will never reach that point.

I do not believe Walsh has said anything negative about Marbury. He told him to get into shape, Marbury did, and Walsh complimented him. However, there may be a problem with Dolan. He could still be quite annoyed at Steph's conduct last year and, particularly, his performance during the Anucha Brown Sanders trial.

GetRealistic had a good question. If we do not "play" Marbury a la Tim Thomas, does he nonetheless take up a roster spot? I am not positive, but I think he will as long as he's physically able to play.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

To answer the question about the roster spot, Yes they still occupy a space on the roster up until the day they are actually bought out.

My issue with Dolan's grudge against Steph is that it is in conflict to what Dolan said was Donnie's full control over the team. Really if Donnie Walsh thought that hiring Larry Brown or Van Gundy would be a good move for The Knicks then Dolan should just do his job and sign the check! So the fact that he is affecting player personal descision defies that granted freedom to Walsh. Not to mention why is he so pissed with Steph still but made sure that Isiah was kept around!I mean don't get me wrong, both Isiah and Steph made life hard on Anucha Brown Saunders, and both of their actions had to do with Dolan coughing up 10 million Dollars in Share Holder's money, but, Dolan is only mad at Steph?

Anyways, I can't wait until all the speculation about this situation is over! Like I said in MSG's "Walsh is gonna Die soon" thread, regardless of what happens lets assume Donnie has The Knicks best interest in mind, and lets be fully supportive of the descison regardless of what it is!

I think Marbury and Sarah Palin come from the same planet :lol::lol::lol:

Not for nothing I would be thrilled to see Steph get his NBA career back on track. Not likely to happen but I'm rooting for it.

GetRealistic

Starter
If he has no problem being a backup to Rondo in Boston because he only wants to win, why didn't he just keep his mouth shut when he got moved to the bench last season?

Paul1355

All Star
If he has no problem being a backup to Rondo in Boston because he only wants to win, why didn't he just keep his mouth shut when he got moved to the bench last season?

In the interview it sounded like he wanted to play above Rondo. he said "no disrespect to Rondo if I came there." In that way.

He thinks he would start on the Celtics.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Boston doesn't want him. They have Rondo and Cassel.

Miami doesn't want him either.

Heat's Pat Riley: No plans to purse any veteran free agents

By CHRIS PERKINS
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 25, 2008

MIAMI — Heat President Pat Riley said this afternoon that the team won't pursue any veteran free agents in the near future because it has only $415,000 available under the punitive dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, and the team doesn't want to exceed that limit.

That means if New York guard Stephon Marbury or Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley becomes available, the Heat won't bite.

"Right now we're not in the market for anybody," Riley said, "because we can't afford to sign anybody because we are that close to the tax."...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/09/25/0925heat.html

moneyg

Starter
u know what.... starbury is right. i would have done the same thing. i have disagrred with him on a lot of things but if the knicks felt like that, i would not take a buyout at a discount either. if he is not in the plans for this season, cut him...pay him all his money.... its that simple.. i think it would be a stupid move on walsh part though. id keep him... if he starts to get out of control. id send him home and tell him we are exploring trades for him, and insruct him to stay away from the team... until a teams buites.. maybe around the trade deadline. :smokin:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
wonder if msg will support steph if he goes to boston

If marbury went to the boston i would still support Marbury but no matter what ill always hate the celtics.

Not a chance, especially not if he was with Boston. But no matter where he goes when he comes back to the Garden he'll get booed horribly. We've been booing him for the last few years and hes been a Knick.

The majority of this site is Marbury supporters, but the majority of Knicks fans and ticket buyers (over the age of 20) are anti Marbury.

Im 21....

Can you prove thats what happened? We wont know all the details until jerome james gets cut and writes a book about everything that happened. And theres more to it then that, rondo>>mardy collins. And Crawford was playing worse then marbury at the beginning of last season, so why didnt crawford get benched? Oh thats right, because isiah is his father.

GetRealistic

Starter
Crawford not getting benched has nothing to do with it. And Crawford did in fact come off the bench plenty of times under Larry Brown and Isiah so he obviously went with what the coach asked him to do.

Marbury was Isiahs favorite for a good while so i wouldn't stick with Crawford being Isiahs son arguement all that much. Marbury got Isiah to trade Kurt Thomas, Keith Van Horn, Tim Thomas (which was fine), and fire Larry Brown.

Marbury is right that he signed a contract and he should get every penny of it. But in turn he signed a contract to play with the Knicks and they have the right to have him come off the bench if they want. He or any player is not entitled to a strarting postion. You agreed to play whatever role that franchise wants you to play, so if you want your money you should do what your told.

Also MSG if you don't believe my point about the majority of educated fans being anti Marbury going over to NewsDays website and they have a poll about Marbury and over 5,000 people responded that Marbury is the albatross of the Knicks and he deserves everything the media has said about him.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Do you think some poll is going to change my opinion? Its kind of like the rap game right now. Lil wayne has sold the most cds but is he the best rapper? Whats most popular aint always the best and its not always right. The majority of society are idiots.

Your arguements are stupid sometimes. Yes, crawford had come off the bench in previous seasons but that is irrelevant. The fact is last year was a new season, marbury got off to a slow start but crawford got off to an even slower start. Marbury got benched, crawford didnt. Its as simple as that. And theres no proof that isiah traded all those players because marbury said he didnt like them. Either way they were going to be traded. Isiah came in and changed the ENTIRE team, not just 3 or 4 players.